Cheaper for new cruisers?

travellingnana

I went to my usual online booking agency and in checking prices for a Panama Canal cruise in Jan 2013, I found that the total cost was $200 less if you were a new cruiser as opposed to the total if I checked the box that indicates I'd cruised with them before. I find that rude. What happened to rewarding loyalty?

If you check out the official Princess site, you'll find there's no differential on any of the Panama cruises, one way or the other. It's obviously something to take up with your TA, not complain about here.

That is odd. When I booked my upcoming Alaska sailing it was definitely cheaper when I logged into my princess account on their website. I do believe that is an error on the TA website you are using.

I used a price comarison TA site...and NOONE (bout 6 quotes)

came in anywhere near the Princess previous cruiser price.....1400$ less for past cruisers....We jumped on it...woo hoo!

Bernadette

Did the 6 quotes you received come from agencies that knew your Captain's Circle number?

If they knew your CC number, they might have been able to quote lower than the price you found on Princess.

I used a price comarison TA site...and NOONE (bout 6 quotes)

came in anywhere near the Princess previous cruiser price.....1400$ less for past cruisers....We jumped on it...woo hoo!

That's very, very, very odd because almost always, a TA can not only match any Princess fare but offer a discount, perks, etc.

Pam, I have to agree with the posters who are getting a better deal through Princess.

A few years ago we booked solely with travel agencies because they always beat the Princess direct price one way or another. This time around though, Princess beat ALL TA's I tried handily. It wasn't even close. Could it have been just that cruise or another reason? I don't know, but , I will try again in the near future.

We just booked our 1st Princess cruise , Direct thru Princess , It was cheaper than a TA I talked to and the insurance was almost half of what TA qoute , We have done 5 cruises on Carnival ,direct thru Carnival is also cheaper

We just booked our 1st Princess cruise , Direct thru Princess , It was cheaper than a TA I talked to and the insurance was almost half of what TA qoute , We have done 5 cruises on Carnival ,direct thru Carnival is also cheaper

I suggest you should have investigated other TAs. There's no reason why booking through a TA should be more than booking directly with Princess. At the very least the cost should be the same.

We always book through a TA because we get discounts ranging between 10% and 20% off full fare. Check around, ask your friends who they use...you can to better.

Lew

Did the 6 quotes you received come from agencies that knew your Captain's Circle number?

If they knew your CC number, they might have been able to quote lower than the price you found on Princess.

And then some of them would have booked you immediately and hung you up for further booking. Never give your CC number when inquiring.

Hi All

I have had in the past when booking a cruise in the UK a better rate if they thought I was new to Princess,

on my last cruise that I booked they never even asked if I had cruised with Princess before

yours Shogun

And then some of them would have booked you immediately and hung you up for further booking. Never give your CC number when inquiring.
I became concerned a few years ago when I provided my CC number to get a quote and an agency did a booking that showed up on my Cruise Personalizer. But I was assured here that the booking was just a courtesy hold--and it did go away in a couple of days.

I have done 12 cruises with Carnival and have never found it cheaper to book direct. The same price yes, but never cheaper.

Was the TA charging you a booking fee or something?

I don't see a TA getting more bookings by charging more than everybody else. It would seem that they would get less and that's not a good way to stay in business.

Bill

To speak to the general topic, Princess DOES run promotional rates for new cruisers, just like they do for past cruisers. It's an important part of bringing new people into the ecosystem..

Yes, but the same promotional rate should be available from a TA.

If there are add ons such as insurance, then you are not comparing apples-to-apples.

Nothing wrong with booking direct with Princess, but any TA that says the cost is more for the exact same booking should be avoided.

Pam, I have to agree with the posters who are getting a better deal through Princess.

A few years ago we booked solely with travel agencies because they always beat the Princess direct price one way or another. This time around though, Princess beat ALL TA's I tried handily. It wasn't even close. Could it have been just that cruise or another reason? I don't know, but , I will try again in the near future.

That sounds very suspicious. A TA should be able to at the very least book a cruise for you at the Princess rate. As others have said, with the right TA and with the exception of special promotions and last-minute cruises, you should be able to save 10-20% through a TA specializing in Princess cruises. Plus get OBC and/or perks. :)

Perhaps Princess knows your CC number but the other sites didn't and there's a promotion for past guests. If you don't give the CC number, you can't check the past guest discounts available through the TAs.

My experience is I always get a better price from the TA than booking direct through Princess.

If there is a promotion for new cruisers, then just don't tell them your past guest info and you should be able to get this through a TA.

We are traveling on Star Princess with friends who booked through an agent, so we booked with them. When I checked the Princess site, the price was almost $300 lower for past customers. I had great difficulty getting this lower price from the TA although he knew we were past passengers. I had to go into his office with my iPad and actually show him the price He did honour it, but told me that I could no longer get the free bottle of wine that we didn't know was included in the original price. That seemed a bit petty, but I would rather save $600 than get a $30 bottle of wine any day.

I'm really finding some of this hard to fathom.

As I said earlier, I checked the Princess site, and all 3 January Panama cruises were priced the same for past cruisers and newbies. What's not clear is whether the TA in question was giving a discount to new cruisers in an attempt to get new business, or adding a surcharge to past-passenger fares in an attempt to rip somebody off.

Like many people here, I've found a discount TA who books a lot of groups on Princess. She's been able to save me - taking into account fare discounts and agency OBCs - about 10-12% off whatever past-passenger fares that Princess is offering. No "service charge," no additional charge to cancel a reservation. If she can't do an additional discount, she tells me right off the bat. It was not tough to find her, I like her, I'm happy.

Where are posters finding TAs who are charging more than Princess itself? Seems like an utterly stupid business practice, like standing outside McDonald's and trying to sell Big Macs for a buck more than they charge in the store.

As far as insurance, though....are those cheaper TA quotes for PVP, or for a non-Princess product? If it's the latter, then it's apples and oranges. For my upcoming cruise, I could have gotten cheaper coverage than I'm getting from Princess, but without the generous 100% cancel-for-any-reason clause.

We are traveling on Star Princess with friends who booked through an agent, so we booked with them. When I checked the Princess site, the price was almost $300 lower for past customers. I had great difficulty getting this lower price from the TA although he knew we were past passengers. I had to go into his office with my iPad and actually show him the price He did honour it, but told me that I could no longer get the free bottle of wine that we didn't know was included in the original price. That seemed a bit petty, but I would rather save $600 than get a $30 bottle of wine any day.
Oh, boy... I'd run, not walk, away from this TA as fast as possible.

Like many people here, I've found a discount TA who books a lot of groups on Princess. She's been able to save me - taking into account fare discounts and agency OBCs - about 10-12% off whatever past-passenger fares that Princess is offering. No "service charge," no additional charge to cancel a reservation. If she can't do an additional discount, she tells me right off the bat. It was not tough to find her, I like her, I'm happy.
I'm like you. I'm paying 16% less than the published Princess price for past passengers at the time I booked for my upcoming cruise, 13% less for my next one. However, the discount % depends on the cruise and timing. This doesn't mean I'd get the same result with all my cruises.

Interesting thread. I do hope that the fares that people are quoted are including all the port fees, taxes etc. It can get confusing when one just looks at a price and doesn't confirm that all the fees and taxes are in the total.

There is a comparison website that often gives responses that I think are incredulous. Some of these agencies must think we are dummies. Very often I get quotes that are more than the Princess site. And very often, even though I am quite explicit with my request, get information other than my request. And very recently, I asked for a quote for a specific catagory and got two responses saying this was not available. For heaven's sake............. the whole catagory is open!

So yes, it is possible to get a quote higher than Princess site. And why would anyone use a TA where they would have to "beg" to get the lower printed price?

Interesting thread. I do hope that the fares that people are quoted are including all the port fees, taxes etc. It can get confusing when one just looks at a price and doesn't confirm that all the fees and taxes are in the total.

Sure. The one slight weirdness is that my TA's invoice doesn't break down the base fare and taxes and fees the same way Princess does. But the bottom line is the bottom line. More onerous are the non-refundable hidden fees some TAs charge. Sometimes you really have to hunt for them.

I do realize that cancellations do mean that a TA's labors will go unrewarded, and that cancellation fees discourage promiscuous bookings. Nevertheless...

Archived