Coming Soon..NEW MDR MENUS AND ENHANCED DINING

Compromised their integrity? I don't think its that serious. Besides, at least its a positive topic unlike the smoking/alcohol/chair-hogging threads.

Yes but we CC'ers are the best at turning a positive to negative in the bat of an eye. Some are already trying. :rolleyes:

Hope this turns out to be true... But you have to wonder how they intend to make up for the increased budget? Major cuts elsewhere or increased fares, both?

It's unlikely that new menu items or even higher quality items will increase bookings by a large percentage. It seems unlikely that the shareholders would stand for decreased revenues. :rolleyes:

Traditionally, food is smallest part of the cruise industry's budget, kind of like Las Vegas. The philosophy is the same: get them to come and they will spend money. The big money is from liquor sales. They will also pick up a lot with the new dining packages for specialty restaurants at $50 - $120 per person.

When the word gets around that RCCL has improved the dining room food, people will come back. I've seen many posts on other boards here on CC where people say they prefer RCCL, but the itineraries and food are better on other cruise lines. However, the better food might bring a lot of the lost business back.

Now if they could just get a ship back on the West Coast..........................

I will post something Sunday evening from the Freedom and the conspirarcy theory will either be proven as fact or fiction. As I said in a prior post, I am on the Freedom this coming Sunday so I will have a pretty good idea by 8:15 PM. I will post whatever it turns out to be.

Smitty

I know where I will now be Sunday evening.:) I'll be anxiously awaiting the verdit!

Let me start by saying I will not reveal my source, so please don't ask. I will tell you my source is directly involved in this project and there's supposed to be a formal announcement by RCCL within the next few weeks.

I don't know if anyone remembers getting a survey a while back asking about the onboard dining experience, but it seems RCCL is listening to that feedback along with the regular weekly comment cards.

With that said, there will not only be NEW menus in the MDR on all ships, but RCCL is improving the overall quality of the items it serves. They have decided to increase their food budget to offer a better dining experience.

Highlights:

The Top Sirloin on the "Always Available" Menu will be upgraded to filet mignon. Also on the "Always Available" Menu will be shrimp cocktail, escargot (provided they can be sourced due to the shortage), herb crusted cod, salmon, a bowl of mixed berries, and Key Lime Pie. Other items were mentioned, but I don't remember what they were.

New entrees will include:

- Rack of Lamb

- Veal Chops

- Veal Scalloppini Oscar

- Crab Legs

- Baked Lasagna (baked in it's own individual dish)

- Beef Sliders

- Each night there will be an entree salad with a featured protien

- Surf and Turf featuring a 6oz filet mignon and a 6 oz lobster tail (larger tail than the 4oz one that's currently being served)

- Sea Bass

- Baked/Stuffed Shrimp

The $14.95 Chops Steak will be removed since you will be able to get a filet mignon every night from the always available menu. In it's place will be the option to purchase a 1 1/4 lb steamed, Maine Lobster for $24.99

New Desserts will include:

- Mile High Lemon Merengue Pie

- REAL NY style cheesecake

- Baked Alaska is making a return.. and will be served in individual portions--

- Warm fruit pies and cobblers served in individual dishes. Straight from the oven to your table.

- Some chocolate, kahlua pie?

To enhance the new menu, all the tablewear and dishes will also be redesigned.

I wasn't able to get the full roll out schedule but here's what I do know... the new menus will be available on the following ships/dates:

Freedom- 7/29/2012

Oasis- 8/25/2012

Allure- 9/9/2012

Jewel- 9/23/2012

Rhapsody- 5/24/2013

RCCL is also partnering with Food and Wine Magazine and will be showing short culinary "snippets" on the Poolside TV Screens... one of the things they will show is the featured items for each nights dinner. Other culinary programs are in the works, but nothing finalized yet.

RCCL has used feedback from the guest comment cards, surveys and information received from the MDR staff to add items that were most rquested by guests. Additionally, they looked at the quality and menu offerings from the competition and decided it was time for them to up their game.

I for one, can't thank them enough..and I look forward to trying out the new offerings on my Oasis cruise in Oct.

Bon Appetite Everyone!

I ( and millions more) am sweet enough so...I need sugar free deserts. They have always been GREAT on RCCL. I hope that part of the menu does not change.

Does anyone know anything about the desert menu??:confused:

Woody

I ( and millions more) am sweet enough so...I need sugar free deserts. They have always been GREAT on RCCL. I hope that part of the menu does not change.

Does anyone know anything about the desert menu??:confused:

Woody

Woody.......great to see you posting. The sugar free deserts will still be there.

I also know what is going on, and was not going to post anything, as many would question me, till you showed up and asked a question.

So, Woody..........I'm answering you, and no one else.........that yes, you will have your wonderful sugar free deserts........but the menu for you will probably expand just a bit!!:D

My DW joins me in sending you two our best!!:)

Rick

When we were on the Enchantment last year, we ate in the MDR on our first night and expected to be "wowed" with the food. Didn't happen. But we did decide to go again on Formal night. Again -- was disappointed, so we at at Windjammer after looking at the menu in the MDR. We ate every meal at the Windjammer. I am now looking forward to going on the Explorer in June of next year -- I sure hope that the food is much better on that ship by that time.. Very good news, and thanks for reporting.

This really is not unusual for Royal to "leak" changes this way. I remember several times in the past when changes have appeared here and later turned out to be correct. In the past I have even acted on the unofficial information and been glad that I did. The trick is to know who is posting the info because there are so many here that I don't trust.

Spot on. :)

I am SO excited about this! Since our first RCCL cruise in 2005 I have always wished for a warm dessert (apple pie cold?) and wasn't that impressed w/the desserts overall. I loved the MDR food choices tho but after 7 YEARS of the same menu I am THRILLED to hear about changes and see that the schedule shows it should be in place on Oasis by our cruise!!!

Woody.......great to see you posting. The sugar free deserts will still be there.

I also know what is going on, and was not going to post anything, as many would question me, till you showed up and asked a question.

So, Woody..........I'm answering you, and no one else.........that yes, you will have your wonderful sugar free deserts........but the menu for you will probably expand just a bit!!:D

My DW joins me in sending you two our best!!:)

Rick

Hi Rick and Bobbie,

We have not been cruising for a year and a half. We are going next week on the Oasis for 7 days and we are booked to go from Aussie land to Vancouver next spring on the Radiance.

I got in to politics here and it is about 110% full time just trying to get elected. Long story but we are going to be doing some more cruising soon.

It is so good to hear from you two.

Thanks for the info.

Woody

How in the world does potentially great news such as this dissolve into an argument? Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that the OP referring to some secret source that could not be revealed rubbed some people (not me) the wrong way and started this thread off on a bad note.

I think that the OP referring to some secret source that could not be revealed rubbed some people (not me) the wrong way and started this thread off on a bad note.

I don't think this thread got off on a bad note at all; in fact, I think it got off on quite a good note! I'm guessing in short time the OP's info will be proven spot on.

All is not lost, however, even if things turn out otherwise - at the very least, those at Royal who frequent these boards, already aware of just how lacking the line is in the dining department from comment cards and other sources, will see for themselves how very much even loyal pax and RCI cheerleaders are hoping for improvements to the menus and food quality. I'd say that makes this thread a win-win.

We are doing our first RCCL cruise on the Enchantment and the menu changes are exciting to me. Hope this does occur and would be great if they began 8/23 on the Enchantment or at least in November on the Explorer. Patiently waiting to hear the official word.

L

New Desserts will include:

- Mile High Lemon Merengue Pie

- REAL NY style cheesecake

- Baked Alaska is making a return.. and will be served in individual portions--

- Warm fruit pies and cobblers served in individual dishes. Straight from the oven to your table.

- Some chocolate, kahlua pie?

Ohhh yesss. I might have to take two desserts next time!!!

Thanks for posting :)

We are doing our first RCCL cruise on the Enchantment and the menu changes are exciting to me. Hope this does occur and would be great if they began 8/23 on the Enchantment or at least in November on the Explorer. Patiently waiting to hear the official word.

Just curious, If you have never sailed RCI before, how do you know what the food was like in the past and how can you compare a new menu to the old if you have never sampled the old?

Just curious, If you have never sailed RCI before, how do you know what the food was like in the past and how can you compare a new menu to the old if you have never sampled the old?

I don't think he or she "knows", but it doesn't take a lot of legwork to learn that MDR is commonly thought of as one of the few major weaknesses of RCI. So, any announced improvements should be welcomed news to all comers.

I am SO excited about this! Since our first RCCL cruise in 2005 I have always wished for a warm dessert (apple pie cold?) and wasn't that impressed w/the desserts overall. I loved the MDR food choices tho but after 7 YEARS of the same menu I am THRILLED to hear about changes and see that the schedule shows it should be in place on Oasis by our cruise!!!

Have you never ordered the fruit cobblers? When I have, they have always been served warm (some might say hot) and ice cream usually accompanied them.:)

Archived