Required vs Recommended

Bridge Maven

The things you learn!

I had never heard of Oceania...looked at their site, looks great, would be nice to try a small ship, always up for something different! I couldnt see that you could book online but managed to find a specials list with prices in NZ$ but only a phone number for Australia. Will look into that one for another time!:D

Celebrity is good for us here with a ship homeporting in Sydney this summer and Millie heading up to Asia.

Loving your photos ExcitedofHarpenden!

Three Little Pigs.

Oh I so hope you try Oceania! Superb in every way. Relaxed atmosphere, luxurious but low key, easy going fellow cruisers, small beautiful ships, unique ports, and the food- unbelievable. You can walk about in your knickers with a schooner and feel perfectly comfortable too ;)

The price tag as you've seen reflects the experience, and Mr Petoonya and I have to temper our fondness for them.

Hugs from one little piggie to the three of yours

petuniafish at gmail dot com

This will be our first Celebrity cruise so will they enforce on formal nights a tie and jacket. I'm a detective so I wear a jacket and tie everyday so on vacation I definitly don't want to wear that. I will definitly be wearing resort casual. Will they refuse me in the dining room or will they give me a jacket. Thanks.

This will be our first Celebrity cruise so will they enforce on formal nights a tie and jacket. I'm a detective so I wear a jacket and tie everyday so on vacation I definitly don't want to wear that. I will definitly be wearing resort casual. Will they refuse me in the dining room or will they give me a jacket. Thanks.

Have a look at these recent threads to get you started. They are all over the place on this board. Lots of opinions, but at the end of the day and depending upon who is on the ship and whether the dress requirements are enforced you may or may not be let in:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1649187&highlight=formal+nights

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1581100&highlight=formal+nights

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1658904&highlight=formal+nights

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1655926&highlight=formal+nights

Phil

I just noticed that the OP to this thread started one of those quoted above that was eventually locked.

So funny. I can always count on there to be a dress code thread on the boards no matter how long it's been since I last visited.

First, yes it is a shame that some seem to think clothes make a person or that somehow what another person wears can make or break your dining experience. I choose to worry about myself. My husband and I dress within the guidelines and I could not care less if someone else does not. I'm there to enjoy my vacation not be judgmental.

It's a good thing that I know the attitudes that seem to prevail on these types of threads are not as prevalent on the ships. If they were, I'd probably choose to not cruise celebrity. Fortunately, I know that people talk a good story online but are not usually as vocal in person. I feel sorry though for new cruisers who read these threads before actually cruising on celebrity. I'm sure plenty of them wonder what in the world they've gotten themselves into after reading these threads. ;)

So funny. I can always count on there to be a dress code thread on the boards no matter how long it's been since I last visited.

First, yes it is a shame that some seem to think clothes make a person or that somehow what another person wears can make or break your dining experience. I choose to worry about myself. My husband and I dress within the guidelines and I could not care less if someone else does not. I'm there to enjoy my vacation not be judgmental.

It's a good thing that I know the attitudes that seem to prevail on these types of threads are not as prevalent on the ships. If they were, I'd probably choose to not cruise celebrity. Fortunately, I know that people talk a good story online but are not usually as vocal in person. I feel sorry though for new cruisers who read these threads before actually cruising on celebrity. I'm sure plenty of them wonder what in the world they've gotten themselves into after reading these threads. ;)

You could not have said it better!

NNJ2010 - Excellent post, and I agree with you completely. I am so glad that I didn't know about these boards before we took our first Celebrity cruise. If I had, we would have probably never sailed on a Celebrity ship.

I am so glad that I didn't know about these boards before we took our first Celebrity cruise. If I had, we would have probably never sailed on a Celebrity ship.

Reading these boards is like judging at many events; you throw out the high and low scores and one will get a pretty good opinion of reality. For a person navigating Cruise Critic boards, comparing the middle-of-the road opinions on each cruiseline thread, most will arrive at a decision they will not regret.

Reading these boards is like judging at many events; you throw out the high and low scores and one will get a pretty good opinion of reality. For a person navigating Cruise Critic boards, comparing the middle-of-the road opinions on each cruiseline thread, most will arrive at a decision they will not regret.

Nereus - I agree with you!

It's a good thing that I know the attitudes that seem to prevail on these types of threads are not as prevalent on the ships. If they were, I'd probably choose to not cruise celebrity. Fortunately, I know that people talk a good story on line but are not usually as vocal in person. I feel sorry though for new cruisers who read these threads before actually cruising on celebrity. I'm sure plenty of them wonder what in the world they've gotten themselves into after reading these threads. ;)

NNJ2010 - Excellent post, and I agree with you completely. I am so glad that I didn't know about these boards before we took our first Celebrity cruise. If I had, we would have probably never sailed on a Celebrity ship.

All true.

Like Bridge Maven we were able to sail on X several times before I discovered this website. We probably would not have sailed on X either.

NNj, Yes, the folks who sail on X by and large are just good decent people. Just like those who sail on Princess, NCL, HAL and other cruise lines.

We like other cruise lines, but X is the best fit for us. X is not perfect, but the true experience(not what you read here) on X comes closest to what we want.:)

It is a relief to see people post this information.

TomBeck yep we're huge celebrity fans. We've tried 3 other lines but it's our favorite. We started on X probably 6 years ago I'd estimate without looking it up ;). So that put us around 31 and 38. We were definitely some of the youngest folks on board back then especially on a 10 day cruise although that never bothered us. But food, service, ships etc make it the best for us. I'd just hate to have someone think about trying X see all the judgmental posts (although to be fair seems fewer than the last time i was hanging out here) and think its an accurate reflection. But as Nereus said hopefully people realize truth or accuracy is usually somewhere in the middle.

The formal dress code as been greatly relaxed in the last couple of years which I personally prefer to have the option. I bring the appropriate attire but if I don't feel like going all out on a particular night it's nice to know there are options. Both in more relaxed dress code and in alternative places to eat.

Oh and Nereus looking at your signature. You're my hero! I hope someday to be at 'commodore' level. :D

TomBeck yep we're huge celebrity fans. We've tried 3 other lines but it's our favorite. We started on X probably 6 years ago I'd estimate without looking it up ;). So that put us around 31 and 38. We were definitely some of the youngest folks on board back then especially on a 10 day cruise although that never bothered us. But food, service, ships etc make it the best for us. I'd just hate to have someone think about trying X see all the judgmental posts (although to be fair seems fewer than the last time i was hanging out here) and think its an accurate reflection. But as Nereus said hopefully people realize truth or accuracy is usually somewhere in the middle.

The formal dress code as been greatly relaxed in the last couple of years which I personally prefer to have the option. I bring the appropriate attire but if I don't feel like going all out on a particular night it's nice to know there are options. Both in more relaxed dress code and in alternative places to eat.

Oh and Nereus looking at your signature. You're my hero! I hope someday to be at 'commodore' level. :D

I appreciate your viewpoint where the dresscodes are concerned. And I do the same also. Bring the appropriate attire and then if wanted...dine in another venue for a casual meal.

I also want to point out that posters on CC make up a very small percentage of actual cruisers onboard. So for you new cruisers..keep your mind open, and you'll probably experience a wonderful vacation. And we have found throughout the years, that when making new cruising friends, people tend to "float" towards like-minded people. If one tends to enjoy a more formal appearance and ambiance, you will surely find those onboard who think the same.

Nice post Nnj2010.

I'm returning to Celebrity after several years of Oceania. Love O but they now break our budget. Love Celebrity too and it's great to have this forum to get reacquainted- a lot has changed. But the number of threads like this one on dress codes, and posts about bringing extra liquor onboard, and it all becomes discouraging. Considered that maybe this isn't the same line we loved.

Then read posts like yours and Nereus' and instantly reassured. Listening to voices like yours let me know I'm back where I belong.

PS. Has there ever been a "sticky" with info from hosts about dress codes and liquor so threads like this could be shortened or eliminated?

Nice post Nnj2010.

I'm returning to Celebrity after several years of Oceania. Love O but they now break our budget. Love Celebrity too and it's great to have this forum to get reacquainted- a lot has changed. But the number of threads like this one on dress codes, and posts about bringing extra liquor onboard, and it all becomes discouraging. Considered that maybe this isn't the same line we loved.

Then read posts like yours and Nereus' and instantly reassured. Listening to voices like yours let me know I'm back where I belong.

PS. Has there ever been a "sticky" with info from hosts about dress codes and liquor so threads like this could be shortened or eliminated?

A sticky and elimination of the dress code and liquor threads is a great idea.

I absolutely agree with you. Options are what it's all about. It would be nice if these questions could just be referred to the Celebrity Cruiseline website which gives all the information needed to make a choice. It's their dress code. I think the people who sail on Celebrity are bright enough to read and understand it and all the other options available.

I have never heard any discussion about this once on board.

Thanks all! Petoonya maybe it's us Oregon gals. ;). Grew up there but have lived all over since but still think of it as 'home'. Funny too because IMO the NW really does embody the live and let live attitude. I like your suggestion about the sticky. Maybe we can bring that to the mods attention.

Don't worry X is still fantastic and a few vocal people on cc is really not an accurate representation of the thousands (if not million) people that cruise X each year.

Even if the mods don't do a sticky we can all make an effort to make certain any new to X cruisers know that not everyone on cc or X agrees. (in a polite, respectful fashion, of course)

:)

Nice post Nnj2010.

Hi Petoonya:)......nope, there has never been a sticky thread

for either of the items you mentioned. Not a bad idea but I have

a feeling (call me a cynic) there would still be new threads on

both topics more often than not:eek:

Thanks all! Petoonya maybe it's us Oregon gals. ;). Grew up there but have lived all over since but still think of it as 'home'. Funny too because IMO the NW really does embody the live and let live attitude. I like your suggestion about the sticky. Maybe we can bring that to the mods attention.

Don't worry X is still fantastic and a few vocal people on cc is really not an accurate representation of the thousands (if not million) people that cruise X each year.

Even if the mods don't do a sticky we can all make an effort to make certain any new to X cruisers know that not everyone on cc or X agrees. (in a polite, respectful fashion, of course)

:)

Right on Nnj2010. Oregon is a laid back state right along with Calif where I could hold dual citizenship ;)

Sometimes this board feels like a political forum on Huffington Post! Like you say, people who appear tenacious online, are often the easygoing softies underneath. Have only sweet memories of cruising X and no doubt it will be any different. Thanks for your encouraging words :)

Hi Petoonya:)......nope, there has never been a sticky thread

for either of the items you mentioned. Not a bad idea but I have

a feeling (call me a cynic) there would still be new threads on

both topics more often than not:eek:

Hi Lois.....yes I wondered the same. The nice thing is that when they appear, moderators could nip in the bud before the thread goes too far. Sure like your positive posts and threads. And you've done some cruising since the Slamo Virtual Cruise Days!! Wow!!!

Best to you :)

Funny thing is the whole issue could be resolved if Celebrity had a policy and actually stuck with it. In the early to mid 90s there was very little discussion about dress codes, you either wore what the cruise line told you or you didn't eat on Celebrity. No MDR meals in room service, no specialties and no buffet for dinner. I realize things have changed but the fact is if Celebrity has rules, enforce them or get rid of them.

Funny thing is the whole issue could be resolved if Celebrity had a policy and actually stuck with it. In the early to mid 90s there was very little discussion about dress codes, you either wore what the cruise line told you or you didn't eat on Celebrity. No MDR meals in room service, no specialties and no buffet for dinner. I realize things have changed but the fact is if Celebrity has rules, enforce them or get rid of them.

Hi Don:)....you just gave me another question for Mr Bayley on my

"Dear Mr Bayley" thread;)

dkjretired - I agree with you completely!

Their code is not ambiguous. They have a policy, they list what is acceptable. They may be more ambiguous in enforcing it and that's their choice and for all we know, flexibility is part of their policy. They probably feel they negative issues it creates by being fashion police is not worth it. They have relaxed formal nights to include sport coats. Their policy does not need any clarification. They have intentionally left it as worded for their own reasons. I would take a reasonable guess and say one of those reasons is to appeal to a broader audience. Funny that only those who want everyone to dress formal seem to be the ones wanting 'clarification' ;)

I see no confusion with what they list on their website.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/faqResults.do?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&faqSubjectId=55

Archived