RCI come back.....at least for the summer!

Adam Goldstein disputes that point in his blog, he said it went out full.

...at substantial discounts. Obviously, if the ship was going out full at standard rates it would still be there pulling in the profits.... right? Did Adam happen to state just which week it was that the ship was full?

Why weren't they filling up Mariner when they had a chance?

I don't think it was about the number of pax's it was more like the low low prices they were charging to fill the ship and then a lack of spending when on the ship.

Just checked a Jan. 2010 booking and it looks like we booked a D1 for just over $1300 before the C&A discount. I also remember one of the rerouted swine flu cruises going for something like $400 per for a balcony. Hard to make $$$ with those fares. March of 2010 D1 $609 before C&A discount.

I don't think it was about the number of pax's it was more like the low low prices they were charging to fill the ship and then a lack of spending when on the ship.

Just checked a Jan. 2010 booking and it looks like we booked a D1 for just over $1300 before the C&A discount. I also remember one of the rerouted swine flu cruises going for something like $400 per for a balcony. Hard to make $$$ with those fares. March of 2010 D1 $609 before C&A discount.

It must not have been some of those largest wage earners in the country that were booking.

It must not have been some of those largest wage earners in the country that were booking.

Maybe those high wage earners were paying some of the highest real estate, gas and food prices in the country and ran out of money:). Leaving a poor guy like myself a choice of great cabins at great prices.

Maybe those high wage earners were paying some of the highest real estate, gas and food prices in the country and ran out of money:). Leaving a poor guy like myself a choice of great cabins at great prices.

Gotta love that quote.

You forgot to mention RCI has not made a single penny in the Asian market, But they are sending a second ship there next year.:confused:

That's because I didn't know.:)

It's not the fares so much as the onboard spending. I see good bargains sailing from Florida, but I guess people spend more money on excursions there. I have trouble accepting that people drink more or spend more on stuff in the stores.

I don't disagree that the 7-night MR itinerary isn't great for the line. But Princess appears to be having some success with mixing up itineraries - MR, R/T Hawaii, California Coastal. I don't see why RCI can't do the same. He!!, they could throw in a few one-way Panama Canal cruises, or a long trip to South America. Then they wouldn't be dependent on a single destination, and the different itineraries would likely increase the number of people who will do a B2B, since they won't be repeating ports.

That's because I didn't know.:)

It's not the fares so much as the onboard spending. I see good bargains sailing from Florida, but I guess people spend more money on excursions there. I have trouble accepting that people drink more or spend more on stuff in the stores.

I don't disagree that the 7-night MR itinerary isn't great for the line. But Princess appears to be having some success with mixing up itineraries - MR, R/T Hawaii, California Coastal. I don't see why RCI can't do the same. He!!, they could throw in a few one-way Panama Canal cruises, or a long trip to South America. Then they wouldn't be dependent on a single destination, and the different itineraries would likely increase the number of people who will do a B2B, since they won't be repeating ports.

Bookings for the various segments of Mariner's transfer from east to west around South America had pretty dismal bookings too.

Bookings for the various segments of Mariner's transfer from east to west around South America had pretty dismal bookings too.

Despite all the favorable comments about that itinerary prior to the actual sailing, and perhaps due to some degree to an economy that was beginning to tank, none of the three segments sold well and those who were booked benefitted by receiving significant upgrades during the cruise. RCI should have, and probably has, learned that promises are cheap, but reality is all that counts. "Once bitten, twice shy" is likely RCI's new mantra.

I don't see an anti-West Coast bias on here, but I suppose that pointing out some of the shortcomings of possible itineraries from LA and past history of poor performance on Mariner, might appear to be that by

some West Coast enthusiasts. Actually I think that injecting a little reality into the situation is necessary when attempting to explain RCI's position on the matter.

This is my bitter Californian face: :mad:

And I did try Carnival Splendor in 2009 (before the fire)-BLECH! Never again.:eek:

It's ok, all my future cruises will probably be on Oasis or Allure anyway, I'm kinda hooked. But if a RCCL ship was back in LA, I would be able to cruise more than just once a year.

That's the main difference for me. When we had Monarch, Vision and Mariner, I cruised at least twice a year, now that airfare is involved, we cruise once a year only, during Spring Break. I'd love to get a ship back, but it isn't going to happen any time soon I'm afraid.:(

Despite all the favorable comments about that itinerary prior to the actual sailing, and perhaps due to some degree to an economy that was beginning to tank, none of the three segments sold well and those who were booked benefitted by receiving significant upgrades during the cruise. RCI should have, and probably has, learned that promises are cheap, but reality is all that counts. "Once bitten, twice shy" is likely RCI's new mantra.

I don't see an anti-West Coast bias on here, but I suppose that pointing out some of the shortcomings of possible itineraries from LA and past history of poor performance on Mariner, might appear to be that by

some West Coast enthusiasts. Actually I think that injecting a little reality into the situation is necessary when attempting to explain RCI's position on the matter.

"Due to some degree to a economy that was beginning to tank" The Great rescission started late 2007 early 2008. Mariner left for LA in 2009. If i remember correctly the stock market hit bottom in Feb 2009I would say your timing is just a little off. But hey there's no bias coming from you towards the west coast. Ha, I had to chuckle at that statement.

Your perception (bias) is not are reality,

"Due to some degree to a economy that was beginning to tank" The Great rescission started late 2007 early 2008. Mariner left for LA in 2009. If i remember correctly the stock market hit bottom in Feb 2009I would say your timing is just a little off. But hey there's no bias coming from you towards the west coast. Ha, I had to chuckle at that statement.

Your perception (bias) is not are reality,

I thought I was giving West Coasters the benefit of the doubt as to one of the reasons that Mariner did so poorly when it sailed for the West Coast and subsequently. If my history or timing was a bit off, the fact remains that RCI's decision to move the Mariner westward was less than a stellar success. If stating that fact indicates a bias against the West Coast, so be it. I thought it was necessary to inject a bit of reality into the discussion. My point is that when, and if, the situation on the West Coast improves (and that includes not only the economy, but the limitations on potential itineraries, public concern about health and crime problems in Mexico etc.) then RCI may revisit their decision to withdraw from LA. Until all those things happen and there are not more profitable regions where they can base their ships, nothing is likely to change, despite lobbying by cheerleaders for the West Coast.

I have similar thoughts about claims, without any real evidence to back them up, that the Sunshine project ships will be based in locations other than in Florida.

I thought I was giving West Coasters the benefit of the doubt as to one of the reasons that Mariner did so poorly when it sailed for the West Coast and subsequently. If my history or timing was a bit off, the fact remains that RCI's decision to move the Mariner westward was less than a stellar success. If stating that fact indicates a bias against the West Coast, so be it. I thought it was necessary to inject a bit of reality into the discussion. My point is that when, and if, the situation on the West Coast improves (and that includes not only the economy, but the limitations on potential itineraries, public concern about health and crime problems in Mexico etc.) then RCI may revisit their decision to withdraw from LA. Until all those things happen and there are not more profitable regions where they can base their ships, nothing is likely to change, despite lobbying by cheerleaders for the West Coast.

I have similar thoughts about claims, without any real evidence to back them up, that the Sunshine project ships will be based in locations other than in Florida.

To me it sounds like you live someplace very cold and freezy during the winter, and you are just jealous of our year-round 80 degree weather!!:D;)

Yes, we want Royal to come back to So Cal. We're going on our first Carnival cruise in a few weeks (the Splendor), my BIL and gf are going on the Inspiration as well. We finally made Diamond, and then, Royal left.

Hey Royal, we also cruised Mariner twice before she left us. Oh gosh, what a beautiful ship with lots of oppty's for fun. Double dog daring you to bring back a ship to us loyal Royals on the West Coast:D

I also miss RCI on the west coast. I agree that a mix of itineraries from one ship would be nice - not the same old MR run. Princess has seemed to do well with the West Coast (LA - SF - Ensenada), (LA - Vancouver) & Hawaii cruises. I can't believe they would keep doing that if they were losing money.

I wasn't think of all the way around the Horn again, more like to Chile. Just tossing out ideas... And West to East didn't do too well, either.

Reality? We don't need no stinkin' reality! I would like to see them return, but as time passes I'm thinking that Princess will suite me just fine in the local market.

I wasn't think of all the way around the Horn again, more like to Chile. Just tossing out ideas... And West to East didn't do too well, either.

Reality? We don't need no stinkin' reality! I would like to see them return, but as time passes I'm thinking that Princess will suite me just fine in the local market.

Yeah !!! We don't need reality..especially when we cruise...however...it did slap me in the face when I just recently tried PCL for the first time...I couldn't find the DL :eek::eek:

Yeah !!! We don't need reality..especially when we cruise...however...it did slap me in the face when I just recently tried PCL for the first time...I couldn't find the DL :eek::eek:

It can be very annoying when reality manages to find its way aboard the ships. It should not be aloud past the gangways. :D

The last few days we have been getting internet pop-up ads about a 1 week itinerary by the Disney Wonder in September leaving LA and going to SF (staying overnight) and then down to SD and Ensenada and back to LA. As New Yawkers we would love that trip but I guess West Coasters have seen all those cities many times.

This itinerary will be sailed 4 weeks and all 4 weeks will be Pixar themed. Normally Pixar is not stressed on Disney sailings.

So why couldn't Royal do that itinerary, we would book it in two seconds.

Pant, pant.!!!!!

Archived