Michael Bayley named Pres. & CEO

Orator

"Cost containment" can take many forms. If they improve efficiency by using new technology, fine. If they "contain" by reducing the overall value and quality of the product, not so fine. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

The Connie wine cruises have been a bust. Just look at the deep disconting going on to fill cabins. Three ports with overnights is way too many. Are they trying to save fuel?

Way I read the financial press release, it seems that repeat cruiser patterns have begun to stabilize. It is the new/ first time cruisers that need to be increased. It is also interesting that the on board revenues have increased from previous years more than their income from bookings.

I just hope the new guy does not turn Celebrity into RCC.

Cost containment might be something we never see -- such as rents. Celebrity pays enormous amounts of money for real estate rental and this might be one area they will look at. Passengers would never see the results of this cost cutting, but it might have significant effects on bottom line. There are many other examples like this, where the cruise experience would not suffer in the least, but money might be saved.

The Connie wine cruises have been a bust. Just look at the deep disconting going on to fill cabins. Three ports with overnights is way too many. Are they trying to save fuel?

But when I saw the deep discounting a month or so ago I was intriqued. Southampton is not a terrible port to get to. If we went, it would be to see these places as we have not previously been, not for the wine.

When I checked average weather for late October and November for these locations, I thought "Are they crazy?" Very rainy and cool (almost cold). This is not the Med!

Hope the new team will not further blur the Royal C brand with the Celebrity brand ...recent fun & games poolside & loud music have been a neg. for X!

Hoping for the best...we have been very pleased with S class & BLU!

Hope the new team will not further blur the Royal C brand with the Celebrity brand ...recent fun & games poolside & loud music have been a neg. for X!

Hoping for the best...we have been very pleased with S class & BLU!

We love the Celebrity product and hope there are no major changes to the experience. Unless of course they add an Elite Plus category so there is reciprocity to Royal.:)

This summary gets a little technical, but, here was their overall take on the cruise industry: "We are a bit doubtful about the sector's performance over the near term as the joint effect of Royal Caribbean's close competitor Carnival Corp.'s ship grounding in January and economic turmoil in Europe continue to nag. While management commented that passengers, especially who are not first-time cruisers, have almost recovered from the grounding tragedy in Italy in January this year, the slump in bookings in the peak booking season along with a faltering market sentiment will actually mar Royal's performance this year. However, as these threats are short term in nature, we remain positive on the stock of the world's second-largest cruise operator over the long term based on a host of factors including relatively stabilized booking patterns, cost containment efforts, fuel conservation initiatives and the slowdown in industry capacity at the current level."

I'm surprised no mention was made of skyrocketing airfare negatively impacting the bottom line as well. When it costs almost as much to get to the ship as it costs for the cruise itself something is seriously awry. High airfare has become just as much an issue domestically as it is crossing the pond. I think that's why we've seen deep discounts industry-wide on many Med and Alaska cruises this season and why several lines have indicated they're pulling some ships from Europe next season. I'm also guessing that's why I've been getting so many December holiday cruise "specials" in the mail of late, all of the aforementined surely a reaction to the peak season slump referenced above. Just a thought.

We think the Celebrity brand is far superior to the RCCL brand. Bringing over the COO of RCCL to be the CEO of Celebrity is a BIG negative to us. On top of that, he gets to bring in his own hotel director. This bears close watching. The concern from corporate for cost containment will not help.

We think the Celebrity brand is far superior to the RCCL brand. Bringing over the COO of RCCL to be the CEO of Celebrity is a BIG negative to us. On top of that, he gets to bring in his own hotel director. This bears close watching.

It would be nice however if they brought over/merged/replicated the C&A program and Celebrity's Captain's Club.

However if it's costs, they will be cutting, the Elite program might be cut back substantially...

From the Miami Herald yesterday morning, they did a little more detailed story and had this opening sentence: "named a longtime company insider to head the posh Celebrity Cruises brand" with these highlights: "He takes over at Celebrity at a crucial time for the cruise operator, as the fifth and final ship in the Solstice class is about to be delivered. Celebrity Reflection, which will be the 11th ship in the fleet, launches in October in Europe, ending a major growth period for the brand. Miami cruise expert Stewart Chiron, CEO of CruiseGuy.com, said now that all the new ships are about to be sailing, Bayley will need to work on growing awareness of the brand and maximizing revenues. 'He’s certainly the most qualified to take the reins of Celebrity and move it forward,' Chiron said. 'He’s an incredibly intelligent, dynamic individual... and he’ll make an immediate impact.' "

Don't often see the word "posh" used to describe Celebrity, but it kind of fits in certain ways, especially on the Solstice-class ships.

Full story at:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/07/31/2923676/michael-bayley-tapped-to-head.html#storylink=cpy

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,251 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Since our next cruise with Celebrity is on the Solstice for Australia and New Zealand in early 2014, I am glad that he understands and appreciates that focus on expanding the cruise line to offer a wider variety of ports and places than just the Carib and Med. We are glad that Celebrity has upgrade its "down under" offerings by having the Solstice there in that area.

Celebrity started sailing to Australia and New Zealand in 2007 and northern Europe is nothing new.

Our preference is more close to home cruises that don't include an increase in Caribbean sailings and we also prefer R-sized (like Azamara) and mid-size ships.

I would not be to concerned about this, both positions are being filled by experienced and very competant operators. Celebrity can only benefit from the new appointments. :D

We think the Celebrity brand is far superior to the RCCL brand. Bringing over the COO of RCCL to be the CEO of Celebrity is a BIG negative to us. On top of that, he gets to bring in his own hotel director. This bears close watching. The concern from corporate for cost containment will not help.

Celebrity started sailing to Australia and New Zealand in 2007 and northern Europe is nothing new. Our preference is more close to home cruises that don't include an increase in Caribbean sailings and we also prefer R-sized (like Azamara) and mid-size ships.

My happiness with Celebrity is that in moving/shifting the Solstice to the Aust-NZ area, they have provided a newer, better ship there than what they had been offering previously.

On getting more "close to home" cruises, they big problem is the goofy federal law about how a ship departing from a U.S. port must go to a foreign port before returning to a domestic base. That limits lots of good options that would attract many domestic customers and make things easier in such areas such as Hawaii. I think it is called the Jones Act to protect a few unions and serve some other special interests. In my view, we are in the twenty-first century and legally more flexibility would help their business model and creativity for customers.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 95,632 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived