Pay More...... Get More.

sail7seas

I wonder.......

How would you feel about HAL offering two dinner menus in MDR?

At the time of booking, how about if they offer Dining Room Plan A or Dining Room Plan B? Pay a little more and get a more deluxe, luxurious menu with some of those offerings we used to have but no longer are an option. I miss Dover Sole, for example, and if given the opportunity to order that by paying a bit more for a different menu was available, I might do that.

What do you think?

I wonder.......

How would you feel about HAL offering two dinner menus in MDR?

At the time of booking, how about if they offer Dining Room Plan A or Dining Room Plan B? Pay a little more and get a more deluxe, luxurious menu with some of those offerings we used to have but no longer are an option. I miss Dover Sole, for example, and if given the opportunity to order that by paying a bit more for a different menu was available, I might do that.

What do you think?

That option is available in the specialty restaurants, isn't it ?

Some lines have a form of this. RCCL has pay extra things on the MDR menu. I really don't like it so much. I prefer a line like NCL where the ship has ten or so different rest. some included, some with small fee and some with higher fee and true quality.

I don't cruise to eat. I would prefer it the other way around. Pay less for those who want only modest portions and offerings. Tired of subsidizing others larger appetites than my own. :rolleyes:

I tend to like the idea. I'm a fairly basic diner myself and probably wouldn't use it, but your plan has some very attractive features. I tend to look at extras through 3 main "lenses":

1. A cruise line should be rated on the basic experience for any passenger.

2. Extras should come from the cruise line, and not out of the hides of other passengers.

3. The extra you pay is directly related to what you get.

In an age where often your position in the tendering line is based on the grade of cabin you booked, and there are other "suite" perks totally unrelated to the accommodation, your idea seems to me to score very high on these criteria.

The only down side I see is that it might be a bit difficult for the waiters to keep track of who gets what menu.

Roy

Personally, I think food is far too subjective. What some people may pay extra for, others may never order. I think the "higher quality" food, for lack of a better description, is best left to the "for a fee" restaurants on board.

The main dining room setup is such that they have what is in reality a banquet style dinner to feed 1900 to 2000 people in a short time. To do this, the kitchen production has to be limited and focused. They are not set up to offer a wider variety of menu items . It would make the whole operation suffer on a mass market ship. I love Holland America but too, respect its limitations. Even at an increase in price the operation , number of chefs and physical limits cant pull it off. This is where the speciality places come in. However Holland Americas ships are out of room for more.

On the smaller ships like Regent/ Oceiana, which have specialty restauraunts all inclusive, you can pretty much order off menu items with 24 hours notice.

:o I have seen people request a 6 course classic french feast and and Indian banquet all with wine parings and all without charge because passnegers are paying 200 to 300 a day more for the opportunity. Also, these ships were designed from the get go to have 4 to 5 restauraunt, staff and kitchens dedicated to each !

\

I like the idea. But why not just add another upscale restaurant

instead of another menu. Make the upper MDR into a pay for more

option, with a menu that changes daily, unlike the Pinnacle which

never changes.

JC

I really like that idea of making it possible to have a pay more menu that changes daily but not to limit it to only upper level.

It leaves out those on the lower level who might wish to have the option. They can only seat half the ship on the upper level between the two traditional dining times.

I'm totally fine with the idea. In fact, I more or less do that now. I generally dine in the Pinnacle Grill anywhere from 4 to 7 times on a 7 night cruise. So, I am paying more for a better meal plan, so to speak.

I have been in a couple all-inclusive land based resorts where certain menu items came with an additional charge. I'd be OK with that too.

Its not a bad idea. We tend to eat most the time in the Pinnacle now because of the food quality but also because of the ambiance. Good food - good service unlike what is going on in the MDR. Hal is working the poor dinning room stewards so hard and have them spread out so thin. Now taking the wine stewards out of the picture mostly, it is causing even more problems for the poor dinning room stewards.

I'll have to say, I like John Cruise's idea about making more specialty restaurants on board. I know they have added one to the Signature class.

Rather than a separate menu, I would prefer to have a basic menu where you can pay extra for certain special items on a day to day basis. Have 'extra cost' items each day.

Some evenings I am quite happy with a basic appetiser followed by a small salad. Other nights I might feel like eating lobster or a fillet steak.

While I would like a few upscale offerings in the Main Dining Room and would be more than willing to pay for this I really do not see HAL doing anything like this. Like Dan mentioned the Main Dining Room is basically banquet style dining with a much larger venue. If I am going to pay extra I go to the Specialty venues. I see HAL in the Future adding more optional (Pay) dining venues but doubt they would ever do like RCI does to pay extra for one item in the Main Dining Room. My understanding this is not working that well for them.

Its not a bad idea. We tend to eat most the time in the Pinnacle now because of the food quality but also because of the ambiance. Good food - good service unlike what is going on in the MDR. Hal is working the poor dinning room stewards so hard and have them spread out so thin. Now taking the wine stewards out of the picture mostly, it is causing even more problems for the poor dinning room stewards.

I'll have to say, I like John Cruise's idea about making more specialty restaurants on board. I know they have added one to the Signature class.

Not wanting to come across as Simon Legree, but we have not noticed cat-o-nine tails being whipped over the dining crews on ships we have been on. In fact, because of the variety of dining options late-seating fixed dining often has many empty tables on most nights so the MDR workload is a lot less than before.

Things may be busier down in the "anytime" dining simply because there is no set formula for bringing out meals in order of courses like there is in fixed-dining. Perhaps this is more a result of "anytime" dining rather than change in staffing policies.

I see smart and efficient teamwork and very timely dining service with the usual smiles and comraderie on the ships we have been on. A little confusion over who orders and brings the wine on the last cruise but that I gather is because it is undergoing transition.

Rather than a separate menu, I would prefer to have a basic menu where you can pay extra for certain special items on a day to day basis. Have 'extra cost' items each day.

Some evenings I am quite happy with a basic appetiser followed by a small salad. Other nights I might feel like eating lobster or a fillet steak.

That is working more and more for me too. Or ordering two of appetizers, but one for my entree choice later.

I certainly support paying less for half portions because that is all I eat in the MDR anyway. Half of my dinner is thrown out every night which is wasteful, but i only eat tiny portions at home and don't want to load on excessive calories when travelling.

We always have eaten in specialty restaurants since I 1st saw them some 20 years ago, but now with decline of quality and service in MDR we are eating more and more there would pay for more upscale service, almost surprised there is not a upscale restaurant for suite people. I like Pinnacle a lot but menu is small and would eat there about 3 times on 7 day cruise, we also seem to get better service in Cannellto in general. Perfer HAL over Celeberity but loved all the dinning choices there.

More speciality kitchens means cabins or public space goes. Look at what Celeb had done, hoe little deck space they have and how much of their space is a "revenue" space.

It also means a larger crew. It means more storage and more waste from stores that dont get ordered off a custom menu.

It means that all fares are going to rise for everyone , even if you eat the prefix menu. Thats why they dont change the meny in Pinnacles or the other.

At the time of booking, how about if they offer Dining Room Plan A or Dining Room Plan B? Pay a little more and get a more deluxe, luxurious menu

Couldn't do it at time of booking since there's no way to know what might be on those menus at time of sailing.

I'd prefer another specialty restaurant were added - replacing the awful Caneletto.

I think folks need to decide what they want. If you want more premium elements then choose a premium line. I do not like adding even one more opportunity to nickel and dime passengers with add on charges on board rather than an increase in the up front per diem. Often with the upgrading of one part of the experience come downgrades to the others.

Cunard already provides the differential concept of food venues through their class system and different dining rooms. Those who wish that can sail Cunard.

NCL does something similar in a more basic market venue by offering a large choice of on board, extra pay options.

HAL is one of the few lines that still offer an almost all inclusive cruise experience with a reasonable on board standard. If that standard no longer fits your desires, tastes, or budget then it could be time to move on to another line.

Let's not propose to fix what isn't broken in a way that will redefine the cruise experience. The cruise line needs to decide what it's unique cruise experience is and then offer it with the appropriate charge attached -- be it more or less than current charges.

Absolutely not! I think the "pay more ... get more" concept works well for specialty restaurants such as Pinnacle Grill, where the overall dining experience and menu selection is superior to the MDR. But I don't think up-charging for specific items has any place in the MDR, where dining is part of the cruise fare. I also think it would be a very slippery slope to begin such a practice.

It's true that some items have disappeared from the MDR menus over the years, but HAL has also introduced some new choices with their Culinary Council selections. It may not always be what we prefer, but it does keep it interesting. I think HAL should focus on using quality ingredients in a creative way rather than charging extra for what some may perceive as premium items.

I think folks need to decide what they want. If you want more premium elements then choose a premium line. I do not like adding even one more opportunity to nickel and dime passengers with add on charges on board rather than an increase in the up front per diem. Often with the upgrading of one part of the experience come downgrades to the others.

Cunard already provides the differential concept of food venues through their class system and different dining rooms. Those who wish that can sail Cunard.

NCL does something similar in a more basic market venue by offering a large choice of on board, extra pay options.

HAL is one of the few lines that still offer an almost all inclusive cruise experience with a reasonable on board standard. If that standard no longer fits your desires, tastes, or budget then it could be time to move on to another line

Totaly correct, on one hand people like to downright lower cost of Holland America cruises but they want to have or get haute options. The two wants dont mix like oil and water.

If you want luxury, go with a ship/line that focuses on them. You cant stay at the holiday inn and expect their dining room to be like the French Laundry.

I like Holland America very much, but the reality I accept, no matter how hard they try, they will never be a luxury product. Very good but not Outstanding.

Archived