Who do you think has the best first class domestic flights and why?

lovevacadays

You could ask 50 people this question, and you would get 50 different answers for 50 different reasons.

Times are pretty tough in the airline business, everything is getting cut back. This has led to a tremondous amount of griping amongst frequent flyers and First Class Flyers. Just go over to FlyerTalk for some juicy examples.

I'm interested in hearing who you like to fly first class when you fly domestic. Or, any other flying first class domestic tips you might have.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for.

Flying F on a domestic flight is not really a big deal. I would never pay for it, but am happy to take any free upgrade UA gives me.

Domestic First Class gets you shorter security lines (some airports), priority boarding, a slightly bigger seat and some food, the amount/sort of which depends on the length and time of day of your flight. Oh and free drinks. Not generally worth the the significant additional cost unless you have physical reasons for needing that bigger seat. International first or biz is a MUCH different animal and IMHO well worth the different cost.

----------------------

Helen

I'm interested in hearing who you like to fly first class when you fly domestic. Or, any other flying first class domestic tips you might have.

Based on your other thread about airline loyalty programs and getting first class upgrades, I assume you are asking this because you anticipate getting a lot of free, first class upgrades if you join a FF program. Let me clarify a couple of things:

While elite level frequent flyers are generally eligible for first class upgrades, understand that those upgrades can still be pretty tough to come by. While low level elites may be on the upgrade list, more and more often it is only the higher level elites who actually see upgrades on a regular basis. How many miles to you anticipate flying? On Delta for example, one must accrue 25,000 medallion-qualifying miles in a calendar year in order to reach the silver (lowest) medallion level. But most silver medallions seldom get any upgrades these days. 50,000 MQM's will earn you gold status, but upgrades are still pretty touch and go. At 75,000 MQM's, you'd be platinum and have a reasonable expectation of frequent upgrades. Furthermore, elite status generally does not entitle one to free upgrades on international flights, which of course are the flights when sitting up front really makes a big difference in the flying experience.

It really depends on the city pairs/markets. On NYC-LAX and NYC-SFO both American and United have premium first class products that rival what you'll get on overseas flights (beds, good food, etc.) On most other routes first class cabins have wider seats and more legroom, but not the sort of amenities you'll get on overseas flights.

For short-haul and some transcontinental flights, the very best first class I've had in the US is on Virgin America. Deep recline seats, excellent food, full audio/video on demand (movies, TV, etc.) and great service. However they don't fly to all that many places, so it may not work all the time for you.

If you're looking at (a) which affinity plan to join (another thread) and (b) first class travel, then go with the airline that best suits your travel plans (where do you fly the most) and then focus on that airline and its alliance partners. That way you get elite status faster, and can use first class via upgrades on occasions. (But note that mileage upgrades are almost always ONLY on the airline whose frequent flyer plan you join, not on partners.)

I agree with CruiserBruce.

Ask 50 people and you will get lots of answers.

I'll give you my take which is not carrier specific although I have a carrier I primarily use for domestic first class air.

-On most domestic flights I upgrade using miles/points.

-Many years ago I went with a carrier that offers the most flights from the airport that was closest to where I have lived. Often it was fairly easy since many places have one major carrier. Some have none but in most cities we have lived in I was able to select an airline that used that airport as a hub and thus had a lot of flights and also many non-stop flights.

- So, in most cases I go with that airline.

-To me first class on domestic flights is really getting a seat with more leg room. The quality of the service is pretty much what domestic was in the 1980's and I would argue that the food in domestic back then was as good as it is in first today if you are fortunate to get food. So, to me, what you are getting is a seat and the ability to board early and get off fairly quickly.

Keith

So, to me, what you are getting is a seat and the ability to board early and get off fairly quickly.

Keith

Plus, the ability to check bags free, earn FF bonus miles, and the use of the priority check in and security line, which can save lots of time. But, you often don't need to fly F to get that; just fly enough to get some enough status with your airline (usually 50,000 miles a year), and you'll get the same benefits.

The aircraft type is definitely crucial too. For example, I fly American, and there is a huge difference between F on a 737-800 (especially the ones with the new Sky interior) and F on an MD-80. I've flown United F, and there's a big difference between a 777-200 that's going on to Europe, and an A319.

Don't waste the money.

IF you have more miles than you can possibly ever use, go ahead. IF you have top tier status and get free upgrades based on availability, go ahead. PAY for first class (other than maybe on a discounted Y UP or K UP fare)-no way.

I fly first about 90% of the time domestically. About 95% at least in business class internationally.

If it wasn't for the free upgrades to first domestically (top tier on AA), I sure wouldn't waste the money. And it is a real waste of miles unless you just have so many, you can waste them. It is very poor value to use miles for domestic first class except for Hawaii, IMHO.

As everyone has pointed out, other than a few transcons, you get a bigger seat, a couple of drinks and a meal. I give my coach to first freebie upgrades to any military I see on my flight. If I don't have military on my flight, then I sit in first. If I do give the upgrade away, I KNOW I can get an exit row seat which is just about as good. I just don't get the free drinks or food.

Don't waste the money.

IF you have more miles than you can possibly ever use, go ahead. IF you have top tier status and get free upgrades based on availability, go ahead. PAY for first class (other than maybe on a discounted Y UP or K UP fare)-no way.

I fly first about 90% of the time domestically. About 95% at least in business class internationally.

If it wasn't for the free upgrades to first domestically (top tier on AA), I sure wouldn't waste the money. And it is a real waste of miles unless you just have so many, you can waste them. It is very poor value to use miles for domestic first class except for Hawaii, IMHO.

As everyone has pointed out, other than a few transcons, you get a bigger seat, a couple of drinks and a meal. I give my coach to first freebie upgrades to any military I see on my flight. If I don't have military on my flight, then I sit in first. If I do give the upgrade away, I KNOW I can get an exit row seat which is just about as good. I just don't get the free drinks or food.

Agreed. The only time I've paid (well, my company) for a domestic first class is when I am connecting on to international business class and I purchase the entire trip as "business class". It throws me in to AA first class for the domestic legs, and then on to AA/QF/CX/BA business class for the international leg.

Based on your other thread about airline loyalty programs and getting first class upgrades, I assume you are asking this because you anticipate getting a lot of free, first class upgrades if you join a FF program. Let me clarify a couple of things:

While elite level frequent flyers are generally eligible for first class upgrades, understand that those upgrades can still be pretty tough to come by. While low level elites may be on the upgrade list, more and more often it is only the higher level elites who actually see upgrades on a regular basis. How many miles to you anticipate flying? On Delta for example, one must accrue 25,000 medallion-qualifying miles in a calendar year in order to reach the silver (lowest) medallion level. But most silver medallions seldom get any upgrades these days. 50,000 MQM's will earn you gold status, but upgrades are still pretty touch and go. At 75,000 MQM's, you'd be platinum and have a reasonable expectation of frequent upgrades. Furthermore, elite status generally does not entitle one to free upgrades on international flights, which of course are the flights when sitting up front really makes a big difference in the flying experience.

Good advice.

My husband is a silver and gets upgraded maybe 25% of the time. I'm Chairman's Preferred (highest status--100K miles a year) and get upgraded 100% of the time. I get two free upgrades a year on r/t international flights, one for me and one for a companion. Any other upgrades for international or Hawaii I'd have to use miles for.

Good advice.

My husband is a silver and gets upgraded maybe 25% of the time. I'm Chairman's Preferred (highest status--100K miles a year) and get upgraded 100% of the time. I get two free upgrades a year on r/t international flights, one for me and one for a companion. Any other upgrades for international or Hawaii I'd have to use miles for.

Somewhat comparable experience here. As a (Delta) gold medallion I was UG'd probably 30-40% of the time. I dropped back to silver medallion on 3/1/12 and so far this year I'm a mere 1 for 18 on upgrade-eligible flights. Meanwhile my BF is platinum and is UG'd probably 90% of the time, although he used to be darn close to 100% til DL put the pedal to the metal on first class monetization.

Domestically, I fly "Continented" (Continental + United) in both first class and coach.

It's usually on 737s, and first class is nothing to talk about. Not doing it again. No real value for the money.

These days I am usually just flying Newark, NJ to Fort Lauderdale, FL and book coach in one of their "premium" coach or exit row seats with more leg room.

The leg room is the same as first class, but the seat is not as wide (I don't need it). I don't care about free food- just give me a free Diet Coke and I am happy. They do that.

I was recently on a United 737-700 at the window seat exit row. As there is only one exit door over the wing, my seat had no seat in front of it, and I could stretch my legs out more than anyone who was sitting in first class!

Learn about the types of planes you fly on, and you will find that coach can be better than you think if you want to pay a little bit more for premium seats.

Visit here: http://www.seatguru.com/

Not sure exactly what you are looking for.

Flying F on a domestic flight is not really a big deal. I would never pay for it, but am happy to take any free upgrade UA gives me.

Domestic First Class gets you shorter security lines (some airports), priority boarding, a slightly bigger seat and some food, the amount/sort of which depends on the length and time of day of your flight. Oh and free drinks. Not generally worth the the significant additional cost unless you have physical reasons for needing that bigger seat. International first or biz is a MUCH different animal and IMHO well worth the different cost.

----------------------

Helen

It really depends on the city pairs/markets. On NYC-LAX and NYC-SFO both American and United have premium first class products that rival what you'll get on overseas flights (beds, good food, etc.) On most other routes first class cabins have wider seats and more legroom, but not the sort of amenities you'll get on overseas flights.

For short-haul and some transcontinental flights, the very best first class I've had in the US is on Virgin America. Deep recline seats, excellent food, full audio/video on demand (movies, TV, etc.) and great service. However they don't fly to all that many places, so it may not work all the time for you.

If you're looking at (a) which affinity plan to join (another thread) and (b) first class travel, then go with the airline that best suits your travel plans (where do you fly the most) and then focus on that airline and its alliance partners. That way you get elite status faster, and can use first class via upgrades on occasions. (But note that mileage upgrades are almost always ONLY on the airline whose frequent flyer plan you join, not on partners.)

Thank you for all your posts. I appreciate it. I've noticed that most don't think first class domestically is really worth it. I guess I was wondering because I have flown first class only once through my employer and I found it leaps and bounds beyond flying coach. The last time I flew coach I was unlucky enough to get a middle seat between a very large, large, large did I say large man and another average sized man with broad shoulders. It was the most miserable experience flying I have ever had. The plane was full so I had no other options. I had originally booked an aisle seat and the airline changed my seat at the gate. I would pay quite a bit of money to not know I would never have this experience again. I had to really talk to myself to not be in panic mode as the large, large passenger's body covered about 1/3 of mine and the only relief I had was to sit very forward in my seat for five hours to avoid feeling like I was suffocating.

You asked who we thought had the best domestic FC, not whether we thought it was "worth it." People have volunteered their opinions on that front, and that's fine, but sometimes people fly in premium classes because they value the various benefits if affords - more comfortable seating, better food and bev, priority boarding, priority security screening, priority baggage, no bag fees, better frequent flyer mileage yields, etc. - which they think is "worth it."

If you fly a lot, and especially if you fly and need to be fresh, or sharp, or rested when you arrive, whether it's for work or leisure, first or business class can help a lot. People have their priorities; some pay as little as they can for airfare and put up with slave-galley seating and hours of hassles, then pay a small fortune for a cruise excursion. Others fly first class and sleep in 2-star hotels in Europe. Vive la difference!

If this really intrigues you, register with www.Flyertalk.com and cruise the boards there. There are thousands of people (I know, I'm one) that were tone-deaf to the benefits of frequent flyer programs before doing some study there and elsewhere, and who now fly comfortably, give away tickets to their relatives and friends, and have never looked back.

Personally, I fly close to 100,000 miles most years, 90+% of it in business or first class, and wouldn't dream of going back to the oars and drums. But as we say at Flyertalk, YMMV.

Watch this video:

Oh you poor people. How do you handle flying first class all the time:eek::eek:

I think it is nice that you give your upgrade to a military person. Good for you.

Do you have any idea how many hours a year you need to have your butt in a seat on a plane to get those types of upgrades? The upgrades (and a Club membership) are the only thing that keep the tedium of travel and anxiety of being away from home bearable.

Thank you for all your posts. I appreciate it. I've noticed that most don't think first class domestically is really worth it. I guess I was wondering because I have flown first class only once through my employer and I found it leaps and bounds beyond flying coach. The last time I flew coach I was unlucky enough to get a middle seat between a very large, large, large did I say large man and another average sized man with broad shoulders.

More on my view:

Yes, domestic first class is certainly better than coach, make no mistake about that. Bigger seats, more legroom, no middle seats, pre-departure beverage service, complimentary cocktails, better snacks, complimentary meals on some mid-range flights that don't offer comp meals in coach, priority check in, priority boarding, priority security line at some airports, waived or reduced bag fees, and higher bag weight limits.

BUT, consider this: You asked about FF programs in anticipation of doing more leisure travel. If you reach even the lowest elite tier of most programs, you will be eligible for many of these benefits due to your FF status, even when flying coach. 25,000 medallion qualifying miles on Delta, for example, gets you Silver Medallion status....priority check in at most airports, priority boarding, sometimes priority security line, a free bag, bag weight limit up to 70 lbs instead of the usual 50lbs, AND priority seat selection...you can select an exit row, or an aisle or window near the front of the cabin without paying extra. Frankly, I find that one of the best benefits, for exactly the reason you mentioned...not getting crammed between 2 large people in a middle seat, plus you can opt for exit row with its add'l legroom. (Note- there is alway a risk of aircraft change and having your seat changed as a result, so check your itinerary periodically!)

Now... is it worth it to pay for these benefits? Domestically, for me, no. If I can buy a coach ticket for $200-300, or a first class ticket for $800-1000, and the flight segments are 1-3 hours (the average, for me), I can't justify paying all that extra money, when the only things it gets me, that I don't already get with my FF status, are a bigger seat, a free drink and a bag of Sunchips. I can live without the vodka/soda and Sunchips, and at 5'3" the larger seat is nice but far from a necessity. So I'll keep the difference in $ (and use it to buy 3-4 more tickets for other trips!), select an exit row aisle or window and be perfectly content. Unless of course I happen to get upgraded, in which case I'll be super content. :D

While I would never pay for 1st on a shorter flight (3 hours or less), I certainly think it's a much better way to fly on long flights! I hate being crammed in so tight, I can't even lean forward to get to my "under seat" item!

I don't fly frequently enough to get "perks" from the airlines, but I do use my credit card miles to buy 1st class on major flights! It's worth it, to me!

Do you have any idea how many hours a year you need to have your butt in a seat on a plane to get those types of upgrades? The upgrades (and a Club membership) are the only thing that keep the tedium of travel and anxiety of being away from home bearable.

I would not know because I only travel for vacation. I actually only live 1/2 mile from where I work so I can actually walk to work if I like. You could always change jobs if you like and not travel as much that is your choice. Happy flying and sailing.

I fly first class whenever I cruise, because it makes the trip from Arizona to Florida so much nicer. My suitcase and dive bag are free and the food and drinks on the flight are very good. However, I don't pay full fare for first class. I use my miles (from flying and my American Advantage credit card) and purchase miles when I need a bit more. But, I always check the coach price first and never pay more for the extra miles then if I were buying a coach seat. I'm always on American for those trips, and know those planes quite well. I purchase my seat as soon as the flights open up so I can get my favorite one, 3F. It's the bulkhead window seat with tons of leg room.

Southwest is too much of a pain, and too expensive, to use to fly from Arizona to Florida, although when I took one cruise out of San Diego last year, I used Southwest. I'll go Southwest again next year on my Carnival Miracle cruise, or we may just drive.

I'll fly coach most of the time when I have to attend a Mustang Club of America board meeting three times a year in Dallas. I don't even have to take a rolling case for an overnighter, so it doesn't matter when I get on the plane. With my priority status, however, I always get on right after first class.

I would not know because I only travel for vacation. I actually only live 1/2 mile from where I work so I can actually walk to work if I like. You could always change jobs if you like and not travel as much that is your choice. Happy flying and sailing.

It's not that easy when you own the company.

These days, every job has its pros and cons. Sometimes I like to travel, but most of the time it's a pain. 30+ off the clock, missing out on family and friends events, and sitting in conference rooms where it doesn't matter if it's Melbourne, Cape Town or Wichita.

I'm 28 and started my job at 22, with my first international business trip at 23. It was great...now, it's just part of the job. I just booked a ticket yesterday for a project in a few weeks in Melbourne. I'm excited to go, sure, but it's over 30 hours door to door each way, 95% of which are off the clock, and I'm doing about 65 hours total travel roundtrip for 145 hours in country. But it's a good job that pays well, so I do it.

One perk I get is that they send me business class. It's the least they could do. As a result, I have great frequent flier status, get domestic upgrades almost every flight, and get my honeymoon in Thailand next year for $0 in flight and hotel cost (aside from some taxes and fees). Again...I've earned that.

Archived