HAL's Next Ship??

sail7seas

If you were to hear HAL was getting ready to announce a new ship (strictly hypothetical situation on my part), what would you really hope would be new and/or different on the next generation of HAL ships that would make it unique from Signature/Vista ships?

Or, do you hope they change little as you like those ships just the way they are?

What are the chances the next ship will be less than 92,000 ton in your opinion. ;)?

Do you think it will be a pair of sisters? A foursome like the Vistas?

When do you think HAL will be getting serious about the next new ship?

Lots of questions. :o

If you were to hear HAL was getting ready to announce a new ship (strictly hypothetical situation on my part), what would you really hope would be new and/or different on the next generation of HAL ships that would make it unique from Signature/Vista ships?

Or, do you hope they change little as you like those ships just the way they are?

What are the chances the next ship will be less than 92,000 ton in your opinion. ;)?

Do you think it will be a pair of sisters? A foursome like the Vistas?

When do you think HAL will be getting serious about the next new ship?

Lots of questions. :o

Well you will laugh at my answer - but if they were on the ball, they would realize people are willing to pay a premium for better service and food.

So, I would build another Prinsendam that sells out, demands a higher price and cater to the demographic before they go to another line.

but most likely they will build another Nieuw Amsterdam unfortunately. Big ships are the wave of the future for the mass lines and HAL hasn't realized they they could have separated themselves by remaining a premium cruise line.

And frankly, if I was HAL I wouldn't build a new ship right now - the world is saturated with ships - and they are going at cut rate prices at times.

I'd take care of the smaller ships - fix the problems and coddle them gently and demand the premium that they would deserve.

But, I'm not the CEO of HAL and I do think there's a market here. I do think that peopoe will pay for something between a mass line and a luxury line (oops isn't that a premium line:rolleyes:). My two cents - not worth much as the penny will be gone here shortly:p

I too would like to see a new ship the size of the Prinsendam but laid out like the R class ships with a Dining room big enough to seat the entire guest list at one seating. Menu with better quality food and of course higher price per diem. One can always dream.:)

So, I would build another Prinsendam that sells out, demands a higher price and cater to the demographic before they go to another line.

But isn't "uniqueness" part of the appeal of the Prinsendam ... and a copy might not sell as well?

Well you will laugh at my answer - but if they were on the ball, they would realize people are willing to pay a premium for better service and food.

but most likely they will build another Nieuw Amsterdam unfortunately. Big ships are the wave of the future for the mass lines and HAL hasn't realized they they could have separated themselves by remaining a premium cruise line.

And frankly, if I was HAL I wouldn't build a new ship right now - the world is saturated with ships - and they are going at cut rate prices at times.

I'd take care of the smaller ships - fix the problems and coddle them gently and demand the premium that they would deserve.

But, I'm not the CEO of HAL and I do think there's a market here. I do think that peopoe will pay for something between a mass line and a luxury line (oops isn't that a premium line:rolleyes:). My two cents - not worth much as the penny will be gone here shortly:p

I think you're right about the immediate future. This is not a good time to be adding to a fleet. I got an email from an online TA recently with a title of "Distress Sale!" The law of supply and demand is not working in the favor of the cruise lines.

I love smaller ships. Haven't been on Prinsendam, but I really like the size of Veenam and Maasdam. But I suspect when the economy picks up and HAL decides to build something new, it'll be vista or larger. But let's hope NOT mega!

But isn't "uniqueness" part of the appeal of the Prinsendam ... and a copy might not sell as well?

Put the "copy" in a very different location. Advertise it as "Haven't you always wished Prinsendam sailed to ---?"

But if what makes Prinsendam special is intangible, like the vibe of the ship and the crew, a copy may not have that.

Put the "copy" in a very different location. Advertise it as "Haven't you always wished Prinsendam sailed to ---?"

But if what makes Prinsendam special is intangible, like the vibe of the ship and the crew, a copy may not have that.

But Prinsendam does sail to all those 'different places'. She sails the world. Her Grand Voyages of 60+ days take her here, there and everywhere including a two week stint of plain 'ole FLL to the Caribbean over the holidays. :D

I have absolutely no information but if I were to guess I would say the next HAL ships will be about 110,000 tons. Passenger size they will take her to about 2600. She will have similiar lay out to the Signature Class but a much larger hull. Probably two more decks with several new Specialty Restaurants. I would also guess there might only be two sister ships that they would announce with options for 2 more.

But Prinsendam does sail to all those 'different places'. She sails the world. Her Grand Voyages of 60+ days take her here, there and everywhere including a two week stint of plain 'ole FLL to the Caribbean over the holidays. :D

But isn't her main area Europe? By different, I meant a different main market/homeport. (No idea where that should be)

I have absolutely no information but if I were to guess I would say the next HAL ships will be about 110,000 tons. Passenger size they will take her to about 2600. She will have similiar lay out to the Signature Class but a much larger hull. Probably two more decks with several new Specialty Restaurants. I would also guess there might only be two sister ships that they would announce with options for 2 more.

Too big for my taste, unless they're very careful about how much public space they provide for those 2600 people.

I would guess Lisa before they order one of them, they'll get rid of at least four others.

I agree they will get rid of some ships but I am thinking it may only be two. Probably the Statendam and the Veendam but that is just totally speculation on my part.

Lisa, your speculations sound just about right to me. Small wonder - you know the industry so well.

I'm stumped what the "next HAL thing" like cooking demos will be. It's my understanding Celebrity's glass blowing fell flat.

If the technology comes along fast enough, I'd like to see a virtual reality suite, where pax could, for example, "tour" the Titanic, or the original Queen Mary, or HAL ships from the era of sail onwards.

P.S.: I do dread that new ship announcement, as I'm sure it will mean the end of at least 2 of the 4 S class vessels. For all their aging flaws, I still love them to bits.

But isn't her main area Europe? By different, I meant a different main market/homeport. (No idea where that should be)

She sails the world. She is in Europe right now but does the seven seas. :)

She did two consecutive Grand Voyages in 2012 and they were fabulous. I think the days for the two cruises totaled something like 135 or 140 days.

Read some of her itineraries..... they are fabulous if one is interested in 'sailing the world'.

I agree they will get rid of some ships but I am thinking it may only be two. Probably the Statendam and the Veendam but that is just totally speculation on my part.

I would suspect VEENDAM would be the first to go and agree Statendam, being the oldest, would be next.

It's more than speculation...... it's common sense. ;) :)

Wouldn't be shocking if all four of the "S" ships went to Thompson.

We'd sure hate to see Maasdam go though. :(

Why would they get rid of the Veendam first?

Because she's butt ugly? Literally. That addition to her stern did not add to her profile.

Because taking out her Sea View pool was a big mistake?

Archived