Costa Concordia survivors go on another cruise

CtheW0rld

Good for them! Smart to take a short trip, and heading towards home probably made it a bit easier, too.

I think that taking the line's offer is the best thing for them. They weren't injured beyond the fright (and I am not making light of that), and they've survived another cruise. Taking the settlement would end it once and for all and I think that would make it easier to put the Concordia experience behind them.

This is going to show my overly callus, typical east coast male mindset...

I think that this has been a little over-sensationalized by the media, it isn't like the Concordia was lost at sea with only 12 folks surviving, all floating on steamer trunks for weeks. She was basically run aground to keep from being lost to the sea and land was within eyesight of even Mr. Magoo.

I dunno, folks get in car wrecks all the time and keep driving. :confused:

Based on stats I think we're more likely to die on a train wreck than a crusie ship sinking.

Derek

I think that this has been a little over-sensationalized by the media, it isn't like the Concordia was lost at sea with only 12 folks surviving, all floating on steamer trunks for weeks. She was basically run aground to keep from being lost to the sea and land was within eyesight of even Mr. Magoo.

I dunno, folks get in car wrecks all the time and keep driving. :confused:

Based on stats I think we're more likely to die on a train wreck than a crusie ship sinking.

Derek

wow. i think the familes of the 32 people killed would beg to differ.

It wasn't very elegantly put, but I kinda get what he says.

I've had two (private) aviation crashes. I walked away from the first, didn't walk away from the second. But it hasn't put me off flying, either commercially or in the small stuff. It's not brave or foolhardy, it's just the way I'm wired.

I hope that escaping from the Concordia wouldn't put me off maritime travel either. Then again, I hope I never find out.

Folks react differently and I'm sure many of the survivors are scarred for life through no fault of their own. Full marks to the people who have been able to get back on the horse and enjoy a normal life again. They are the lucky ones.

While I do not agree with Viesczy, he does remind me of something I read some years back in the "Commutator," published by (I think) the Titanic Historical Society, so I know it's true.

Seems as how there was this old lady in a wheelchair at lifeboat drill back in the '80s, I think; maybe the early '90s, leaving from L.A. She said to a friend, "We didn't do this on the Titanic" Someone next to her said, "WHAT did you say??!!" She replied, "We didn't have lifeboat drill on the Titanic."

Turns out the Captain knew she was onboad, but did not tell the crew in case they were superstitious. I don't remember her name right off the bat, but she was living in India, her father had already come to the States and so the whole family made it safely. She was one of the last survivors.

Another couple sailed on a RC ship a couple of weeks ago. They were doing basically the same itinerary as they had signed up for on the Concordia. I will have to check and see how they did. I think it would take a fair amount of bravery to do that. JMHO

Good for them! Smart to take a short trip, and heading towards home probably made it a bit easier, too.

I think that taking the line's offer is the best thing for them. They weren't injured beyond the fright (and I am not making light of that), and they've survived another cruise. Taking the settlement would end it once and for all and I think that would make it easier to put the Concordia experience behind them.

Hi 3rdGenCunarder. Some passengers lost whatever possessions they had brought on board when the Concordia sank. I don't know if the settlement offered to those passengers includes loss of personal property. A friend of mine lost all the jewelry she had brought on board when the cruise ship she was sailing on sank in Greece a few years ago. The settlement did not cover the cost of the jewelry lost, including her diamond engagement ring. Unfortunately, unlike the couple in the story referenced above, she still can't bring herself to board a ship. BTW, she accepted the settlement that the cruise line offered because she just didn't want to prolong the agony, but the settlement did not cover her losses. -S.

While I do not agree with Viesczy, he does remind me of something I read some years back in the "Commutator," published by (I think) the Titanic Historical Society, so I know it's true.

Seems as how there was this old lady in a wheelchair at lifeboat drill back in the '80s, I think; maybe the early '90s, leaving from L.A. She said to a friend, "We didn't do this on the Titanic" Someone next to her said, "WHAT did you say??!!" She replied, "We didn't have lifeboat drill on the Titanic."

Turns out the Captain knew she was onboad, but did not tell the crew in case they were superstitious. I don't remember her name right off the bat, but she was living in India, her father had already come to the States and so the whole family made it safely. She was one of the last survivors.

wow! you always add the most interesting tidbits:D thanks for sharing this:D

Hi 3rdGenCunarder. Some passengers lost whatever possessions they had brought on board when the Concordia sank. I don't know if the settlement offered to those passengers includes loss of personal property. A friend of mine lost all the jewelry she had brought on board when the cruise ship she was sailing on sank in Greece a few years ago. The settlement did not cover the cost of the jewelry lost, including her diamond engagement ring. Unfortunately, unlike the couple in the story referenced above, she still can't bring herself to board a ship. BTW, she accepted the settlement that the cruise line offered because she just didn't want to prolong the agony, but the settlement did not cover her losses. -S.

Truly curious here - Was this the Louis Santorini sinking? Weren't a lot of passenger possessions eventually recovered? She wasn't wearing her engagement ring? What about travel insurance? I thought that would be unaffected by a settlement - or am I misunderstanding this? What about homeowner's insurance? My SIL lost her ring in a restaurant bathroom & homeowner's paid, so how is losing it anywhere else different? I'm really, really curious. And totally understand both accepting a settlement, meaning wanting it over, as well as never boarding a ship again.

But I also understand that everyone reacts to events differently & shouldn't be judged.

What Viescy & Chunky have written makes perfect sense, too. How many people have cruises scheduled within a few weeks' or months' time-frame? How many people, after the events of Sept 11, have never flown again? How many who were in the air that day, were wheels-up as soon as the FAA permitted? My cousin was. We flew to FLA for our cruise that November, the same day a jumbo jet crashed into Jamaica Bay in Queens. The husband has always been a lousy flyer, but he does it.

Part of me also doesn't see why anyone else needs to know that any Concordia survivors have decided to cruise again. Yes, it's great, but it's their business. Not mine.

I like my privacy. I guess that's one of the reasons I really like CC. I can still be Sunshine. I don't have to log-in using FB, the way many sites are going. :eek:

Truly curious here - Was this the Louis Santorini sinking? Weren't a lot of passenger possessions eventually recovered? She wasn't wearing her engagement ring? What about travel insurance? I thought that would be unaffected by a settlement - or am I misunderstanding this? What about homeowner's insurance? My SIL lost her ring in a restaurant bathroom & homeowner's paid, so how is losing it anywhere else different? I'm really, really curious. And totally understand both accepting a settlement, meaning wanting it over, as well as never boarding a ship again.

But I also understand that everyone reacts to events differently & shouldn't be judged.

What Viescy & Chunky have written makes perfect sense, too. How many people have cruises scheduled within a few weeks' or months' time-frame? How many people, after the events of Sept 11, have never flown again? How many who were in the air that day, were wheels-up as soon as the FAA permitted? My cousin was. We flew to FLA for our cruise that November, the same day a jumbo jet crashed into Jamaica Bay in Queens. The husband has always been a lousy flyer, but he does it.

Part of me also doesn't see why anyone else needs to know that any Concordia survivors have decided to cruise again. Yes, it's great, but it's their business. Not mine.

I like my privacy. I guess that's one of the reasons I really like CC. I can still be Sunshine. I don't have to log-in using FB, the way many sites are going. :eek:

Hi Sunshine. No, it was the ms Sea Diamond. I did not ask whether or not she was wearing her ring when the ship sank. Regarding insurance, the lesson learned is that we should all check our travel insurance and home owner's insurance policy. Just to mention that the higher the amount insured, the higher the cost of coverage.

Personally, when I travel, I leave my most treasured jewelry in my safety deposit box at the bank. I just don't like to worry about such things when I'm on holiday :) Regards, -S.

Edited to add: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Sea_Diamond

I would certainly encourage all passengers from the Concordia to cruise again.

Just not on a Costa ship.

I really don't know about that; first of all, not all passengers from the Concordia survived, so you can't encourage all the passengers from the Concordia to sail again. Secondly, those that did survive might have witnessed events that convince them that a voyage on a cruise ship is not something they want to repeat: understandably, it might not be their idea of a vacation. Not being a therapist, I leave it to the surviving passengers to decide for themselves if and when they decide to take another cruise, be it on the Costa Line or any other. Best wishes, -S.

Derek

Plase don't say that as I am about to go across Canada in a couple of weeks with my DH on the train. Wass looking forward to the Rockies by train now I have second thoughts.

I also think it is great that that couple would go on another cruise, especially so soon after the unfortunate accident.

Helen

Plase don't say that as I am about to go across Canada in a couple of weeks with my DH on the train. Wass looking forward to the Rockies by train now I have second thoughts.

I also think it is great that that couple would go on another cruise, especially so soon after the unfortunate accident.

Helen

Don't fret about safety aboard a train in Canada. You are at far greater risk taking a car or taxi to the station or airport. Over the past few days in the Toronto area there have been some horrific car crashes involving fatalities. The GO commuter rail sysyem operates trains into Toronto from as far away as 60 miles, collectively carrying 50,000 passengers a day. The first GO train route started in 1967 and there hasn't been one passenger fatality due to an accident. I doubt a day goes by without several fatal car crashes in our area. I take VIA's "Canadian" out west almost every year and I feel very safe.

• 3 weeks later...
wow. i think the familes of the 32 people killed would beg to differ.

And I'm guessing the families of the several hundred that survived because they were close to land would!!!!!!!!! (notwithstanding the captains attitude).

• 6 months later...

Hi Salacia

The Sea Diamond was a cruise ship owned by the Louis Cruise Lines and was cruising too close to Santorini where it struck an undersea rif and sank.

Costa should then have taken notice of this accident.

For your info

Jan

Archived