Phantom Room Charges

inforem

Has anyone been charged for minibar items that were never removed by the guest. It seems to be happening alot? You don't find out unless you ask for an updated bill when you get home.

Just asking

As soon as we get into the room I do a check to make sure what is on the list is actually in the minibar. Last X cruise I found 2 small bottles of vodka empty, They were there but someone had drunk and put the bottles back. Advised the room steward when he came to introduce himself and it was no problem. We don't drink alcohol at all so advised the steward that we didnt want the fridge full of things we dont use.

We always have the mini bar emptied on the first day. We never use the drinks in the mini bar and by having the room Stewart empty it we have space to chill our wine.:)

On our last Summit cruise there was a bottle missing and we were asked about it. When DH told them he thought he noticed a bottle was missing from the door of the fridge and we do not drink hard liqueur , they were very nice about it and didn't charge us. we also told them we bring our own diet soda and could they take their soda out, which they did. They could tell by our reaction, we didn't take the bottle. Also it was still early in the day.

Now we just tell them to take out the liqueur.

Has anyone been charged for minibar items that were never removed by the guest. It seems to be happening alot? You don't find out unless you ask for an updated bill when you get home.

Just asking

Check your bill everyday via TV which is interactive and shows all charges. Yes, it does happen, but you must be aware of it.

Just got off Summit a couple of months ago. They locked the mini bar the night before disembarkation, which I didn't have a problem with since they have to do an accountability check.

I looked on the interactive TV either late that night or early in the morning, and it showed one drink taken from the mini bar. I immediately called guest relations, and they removed it from my invoice.

Just asking

What makes you think that it seems to be happening a lot? Have you been charged for items from the bar that you haven't used? Do you know of Any people who have been overcharged?

Just asking.

What makes you think that it seems to be happening a lot? Have you been charged for items from the bar that you haven't used? Do you know of Any people who have been overcharged?

Just asking.

Absolutely, other guest have had the same problem. As to asking the steward to remove the contents of the minibar the first day...we did and he did. We bring our own diet soda as we are diet pepsi drinkers and do not like diet coke. Also, as to checking the interactive bill on the TV the morning of getting off the ship, according to the SeaPass bill that I had to ask be sent to me as no bill was left under my door, the charge was at 9:27 am (even though it was locked the night before) that day we left the ship at 8:00 am. I did check my bill but it wasn't on there. It was straighten out but I was just wondering if it happened to anyone else, that's all. Not accusations were or are being made on this thread. It is just to make people aware to double and triple check there bill when they get there final bill.

To answer your question I have been charged for items from the bar. This cruise for a total of over $27.00. When I called up customer service I was told "it happens ALL the time and if a guest calls us we just credit back the account".

Absolutely, other guest have had the same problem. As to asking the steward to remove the contents of the minibar the first day...we did and he did. We bring our own diet soda as we are diet pepsi drinkers and do not like diet coke. Also, as to checking the interactive bill on the TV the morning of getting off the ship, according to the SeaPass bill that I had to ask be sent to me as no bill was left under my door, the charge was at 9:27 am (even though it was locked the night before) that day we left the ship at 8:00 am. I did check my bill but it wasn't on there. It was straighten out but I was just wondering if it happened to anyone else, that's all. Not accusations were or are being made on this thread. It is just to make people aware to double and triple check there bill when they get there final bill.

To answer your question I have been charged for items from the bar. This cruise for a total of over $27.00. When I called up customer service I was told "it happens ALL the time and if a guest calls us we just credit back the account".

Thanks for the clarification.

Just asking.

Happened to us on the Millennium and the charge was erased as soon as we reported it to guest relations.

On our last Equinox cruise we asked for the mini bar to be emptied. Our cabin steward did empty, he put everything in bag and put the bag under our bed.

LOL! that is hilarious! I think I would have called the head steward.

Actually, that procedure, or a similar one, is exactly what they do when you ask to have the fridge emptied. They bag the contents up and stash them at the top of the closet, or under the bed, or somewhere out of the way. They generally remain in the room at all times during the cruise, and will be used to re-stock the fridge for the next passenger.

I've read enough threads over the years about final charges actually processed to your credit card company being higher than final bills on board that I believe there is, or was, a major problem for some reason. This happened to us twice, but the most recent time was at least a couple years ago. We had no issue getting a refund for the difference. After the second time and after reading posts about this around that time I also wrote a letter of complaint to the president's office.

Always keep a copy of your final bill, including any late charges, and compare it to the charge on your credit card bill.

To the OP, did you have phantom charges? How was it resolved?

2 05-AUG-12 09:56 20013746 Stateroom Private Bar $ 2.70 $ 21.96 as shown on the bill after I had to call up for a copy of my charges (not $27.00 like I stated previously).

It was resolved (I hope) but that is not the point, nobody at Celebrity can explain why it was on there and why it happens so often. A guest should not have to dispute the charges to begin with. Let alone not get copies of their bills. It makes a guest wonder.

Personally we've never had this problem on any of our 9 cruises on 4 cruise lines and I scrutinize all my bills, even at the grocery and the gas pump to be sure I'm getting what I pay for. :D

My question is if this seems to be a problem on X then what about other lines? Has anyone noticed this problem on other lines? Is this a common problem d/t human error or is it more prevalent on x?

As for the steward who stored the minibar contents on the floor under the bed:eek:

Personally we've never had this problem on any of our 9 cruises on 4 cruise lines and I scrutinize all my bills, even at the grocery and the gas pump to be sure I'm getting what I pay for. :D

My question is if this seems to be a problem on X then what about other lines? Has anyone noticed this problem on other lines? Is this a common problem d/t human error or is it more prevalent on x?

As for the steward who stored the minibar contents on the floor under the bed:eek:

It happens on all lines. I am surprised to see the poster who found empty bottles - that thief was not creative. My sister once opened a vodka for a bloody mary, and it had veen re-filled with water. It was replaced immediately, of course..

I too always empty the fridge and stow their stuff so I can put my own in, but be careful on the newest ships. Not sure if they will go that way, but recently in a big Las Vegas hotel, I picked up a snack from the display just to look at it and put it back down, and I was charged. Desk Agent took it off with no problem, I bet that happens a lot. Lesson learned..don't even touch!

It happens on all lines. I am surprised to see the poster who found empty bottles - that thief was not creative. My sister once opened a vodka for a bloody mary, and it had veen re-filled with water. It was replaced immediately, of course..

I too always empty the fridge and stow their stuff so I can put my own in, but be careful on the newest ships. Not sure if they will go that way, but recently in a big Las Vegas hotel, I picked up a snack from the display just to look at it and put it back down, and I was charged. Desk Agent took it off with no problem, I bet that happens a lot. Lesson learned..don't even touch!

That vodka story reminds me of another funny story. My friends dad was an MD in the army and his grouchy CO had a large bottle of vodka with some sort of cork that was sealed. Well he and his MD friend decided to get a big syringe and siphon out the good stuff and replace it with H2O. They drained most of it and I still laugh when he told us the look on the CO's face when he finally decided to pop the seal and finally have a sip or two. :D :D

That vodka story reminds me of another funny story. My friends dad was an MD in the army and his grouchy CO had a large bottle of vodka with some sort of cork that was sealed. Well he and his MD friend decided to get a big syringe and siphon out the good stuff and replace it with H2O. They drained most of it and I still laugh when he told us the look on the CO's face when he finally decided to pop the seal and finally have a sip or two. :D :D

Any one else think stealing is funny. ? :confused:

Archived