Advice from seasoned Celebrity cruisers

lorib927

Hello...

We have not sailed Celebrity before and we need some advise... We're looking at the repositioning cruise Miami to Rome on April 20, 2013.

One quote is for Deck 6, another for Deck 9.

One TA tells us it's Category 2B (room6232) while the other is 1A (room 9264.

The difference is nearly $500.

Any ideas, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob and Bobbie

Hello fellow Oregonians....

Both are great locations on the ship - near the mid ship elevators and convenient to most places you'll want to go. I personally would take 6232 and save the money. 9264 will give you a slightly larger balcony since it's on the angled part of the hump. Beyond that the cabins themselves are identical.

We love Celebrity and have done two transatlantics. Love them!

Joe

We love Blu and when we sail Celebrity (which is almost the only line we sail) we select AQ as we cannot imagine being on the ship and not being able to eat in Blu. Two cruises ago (2011) we were able to upgrade to a Suite, I hesitated because I concerned about eating in Blu, they assured we could still dine in Blu but would have to pay $10/each/evening. We decided we would pay willingly. Each day we checked the menus in the MDR and Blu (except for the 2 evenings we dined in Murano) and everytime we chose Blu. The food is fabulous, as is the service and atmosphere! Whichever you decide have a great cruise and let us know how you enjoyed it.

Last spring we sailed in HAL and did not like their MDR at all. We ate in the Pinnacle Grill everynight except the first night when we went to MDR as assigned and one night when we could not get in Pinnacle. When we sail again on HAL we will just accept that the cost of dining in Pinnacle as part of sailing with them, as we did not like their MDR at all!

As experienced Blu devotees, allow me to assure you that once you have cruised AQ you will never revert to another class.

Just off Infinity in AQ and I now understand the Blu commitment. We have two cruises booked next year, one in AQ and one not (sailing with friends), and we will be chatting with our friends about changing!

we loved the calm in Blu, the food, the service.

A different perspective on AQ

I've traveled AQ once. Loved the food, although I am not truly a foodie.

Loved the fact that although we could enjoy our 40th anniversary dinner for just the two of us, we also got friendly with 2 couples who usually dined around the same time, and after a couple nights we would utilize those close couple tables to socialize...next night they asked us if we would like our tables together, and from then on we had a stable for 6, by our choice.

However, we believe Blu was designed to put a positive spin on less than ideal location. The overhang from the pool deck above put us in perpetual shade. Others have remarked on noise from above.

While I'm glad to have had the experience, I wouldn't pay the price for Blu and AQ again.

For the true foodies it might be worth it. For us, not so much.

I have never been in AQ so can't really comment on whether it is good or not. From the comments, I would assume it is. We have always sailed on regular balconies until our last cruise on Summit last summer. We booked fairly late (in fact from the Tuesday specials a couple of weeks out) and the concierge class was less than the regular balcony. Not sure why - just the way it was so we took it.

Concierge Class was nice but I didn't really see it as a terrific upgrade from a regular balcony. We enjoyed the canapes and fresh fruit and flowers but I wouldn't have paid a lot for that service. I'll also admit that my wife and I are teetotallers - don't drink at all but the bottle of champaign was there in the cabin upon arrival so we tried it. I'm going to assume that it was the cheap stuff because it was terrible. If that was the good stuff I'm glad we don't imbibe. Our room steward was given about 15/16 of a bottle of champaign.

As for the food, I can only comment on MDR and specialty restaurants. We love the MDR and enjoy making new friends at a larger table. Have really gotten to know some people by dining together each evening. We always go to the specialty restaurant at least once each cruise. Our favorite has been on the Millinnium. We went back twice it was so good. I'm also aware that places can have a bad night. I wouldn't judge one particular venue on one bad experience.

Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will have a great time.

we did a 12 night in AQ in May and did enjoy it .. but we went to the MDR to eat with others on 2 nights. We enjoyed the breakfast , but as for healthy you can still order pancakes and have all the pastries . they actually bring the pastries to the table when you arrive , and then again. I always start my day with healthy food and found it was always available in the buffet/. The only thing that was better was the oatmeal. good and thick in Blu, slop in the buffet. The service was wonderful though. I would book AQ again for a deal. Last cruise we upgraded from balcony to AQ for $50.00. I also liked not having official formal night in Blu!!

A different perspective on AQ

I've traveled AQ once. Loved the food, although I am not truly a foodie.

Loved the fact that although we could enjoy our 40th anniversary dinner for just the two of us, we also got friendly with 2 couples who usually dined around the same time, and after a couple nights we would utilize those close couple tables to socialize...next night they asked us if we would like our tables together, and from then on we had a stable for 6, by our choice.

However, we believe Blu was designed to put a positive spin on less than ideal location. The overhang from the pool deck above put us in perpetual shade. Others have remarked on noise from above.

While I'm glad to have had the experience, I wouldn't pay the price for Blu and AQ again.

For the true foodies it might be worth it. For us, not so much.

We have sailed on 10 Celebrity cruises. 1 in Acqua the rest not. Acqua was nice, but depending on the price differential not really worthwhile. The food in Acqua was great and so was the "FREE" WATER. pERSIAN gARDENS WAS NOT SO HOT. oNLY 6 RELAXTION LOUNGES AND CROWED/NOISY WITH ALOT OF COMPETITION FOR THE LOUNGERS. THE PRICE DIFFERENCE ALLOWS US TO EAT IN THE SPECIALITY RESTAURANTS WHICH I FEEL IS SUPERIOR TO bLU. iF THERE IS A $200 DIFF PER PAX GO aCQUA. iF MORE GO FOR A BALCONY CABIN AND SPEND THE SAVINGS ON sPEC RESTAURANTS.

ANYHOW THAT'S MY VIEW

gOOD LUCK ON DECISION

:cool:

I beg to differ. ;)

We are trying Aqua for our second time in March. The experience in Blu was wonderful on our cruise this past May. Although not every dish was to our liking, the service was exemplary.

For our cruise in May, AQ wasn't the most expensive balcony so we took advantage of that pricing.

I beg to differ. ;)

Hi Arno:), I agree with you as well. I was in AQ once and went back

to other cabin categories after that cruise.

As we have read many times, some folks love it while there are plenty

of other folks who are happy with other cabins not located in Aqua

Class.

Different strokes............

As experienced Blu devotees, allow me to assure you that once you have cruised AQ you will never revert to another class.

I totally agree - we were on the Silhoutte Holy Land Cruise B2B with the Inaugural TA last October in Aqua -23 nights - great food - great staff - we usually went for dinner at 7pm after the Elite Cocktails and chose a banquet in the rear of the dining room - no neighbors and a quiet time except when we chose to join others we had met at the cocktail hour and were so nicely accommodated by the Maitre'd!. We usually went to the Aqua Spa Cafe for a very light breakfast and lunch while onboard but I did indulge in some eggs and bacon treats a few times in Blu so it doesn't have to be always healthy! We enjoyed Blu so much we booked the Reflection Oct 4th Venice to Barcelona and then Oct 18th Barcelona to Miami this fall. 27 nights! And also French Polynesia Sydney to Honolulu on the Solstice April 4 2013. 18 nights! All in Aqua for Blu.Can't wait!

Love Aqua Class!

Richard

!

I agree and think it is usually about $400 - $600 difference per person for the Aqua class. You could almost get another inside room for that depending on which cruise you are on.

Or every night enjoy the variety of the various specialty restaurants on board.

Can those who've sailed in AQ alot give opinions about the two following issues:

1. Will we have an issue getting a table for 8 if we want? We are traveling with three other couples, and may want to dine together after Elite cocktail hour, so would likely get to Blu at 7:00 or so.

2. I've read a lot about the quiet atmosphere. We are all late 30's/40's/early 50's, and enjoy good conversation and laughter. Not rowdy obnoxious drunks, but not the solemn types, either. Is it tomb-like, or just not the heavy din from 1000 people eating at once?

We did get a great deal- A2 for about a third the price they are now asking, and only $100. more than an INSIDE!!!! Don't care about the shaded balcony, and will deal with the noise, if any. We've always done Concierge, except the first Infinity verandah, and a Sky suite on Constellation. We usually do the specialty restaurants a lot- six times on our last 7 day cruise, so may save considerable $ this way.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Andrew

Can those who've sailed in AQ alot give opinions about the two following issues:

1. Will we have an issue getting a table for 8 if we want? We are traveling with three other couples, and may want to dine together after Elite cocktail hour, so would likely get to Blu at 7:00 or so.

2. I've read a lot about the quiet atmosphere. We are all late 30's/40's/early 50's, and enjoy good conversation and laughter. Not rowdy obnoxious drunks, but not the solemn types, either. Is it tomb-like, or just not the heavy din from 1000 people eating at once?

We did get a great deal- A2 for about a third the price they are now asking, and only $100. more than an INSIDE!!!! Don't care about the shaded balcony, and will deal with the noise, if any. We've always done Concierge, except the first Infinity verandah, and a Sky suite on Constellation. We usually do the specialty restaurants a lot- six times on our last 7 day cruise, so may save considerable $ this way.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Andrew

Hey Andrew!

1. There are usually a couple of large round tables that they use for larger groups...also the smaller tables can be pushed together to make a large oblong table. No problem at all! :) Talk to the Maitre 'd and they will reserve it for your time frame.

2. No tomb!!! No rowdy drunks, either. Just folks having a good dinner and a good time...laughing and having conversations at a reasonable level. There are only 132 seats in BLU, thus the smaller more intimate setting. You don't have to keep raising the volume of your conversation to be heard like in the MD.

We only book AQ now...because of Blu. :D I know you will love it, too.

Thanks, Char. Looking forward to AQ and Blu.

I do agree with those who say they enjoy the large table experience in the MDR, but have also travelled with seven others like this, and had a great time...different experience, but equally great-

I did a Halloween cruise to Hawaii with Karynanne, Moya, and another Cruise Critic couple, and had a blast. And a TA with a bunch of winos!

Also done a totally random cruise, and met GREAT people in the MDR. And I have travelled on Cunard and Princess with mostly tables for two, and enjoyed conversing with the other tables for two around us, and that's worked well.

Guess I'm just not that hard to please...at least on a ship!:D

Andrew

The specialty restaurants are fixed price....$40, $30 or $25 depending on the restaurant. Usually you can get 10% off if you dine on the first night....and usually they offer a package to eat once at each restaurant during the cruise at a discount. Finally, if the restaurants aren't filling up, you'll find special offers during the cruise.

Archived