We were asked to switch rooms on our cruise from a family stateroom?

northwoods2

Just thought I would share our interesting experience.

On the second day of our cruise on the Millennium we got a call asking if we would be willing to switch rooms. We had 7199 the corner family stateroom with the huge deck. Which we specifically wanted for our cruise in Alaska. They first offered us $300 and a move to a Sky Suite. But we wanted our aft deck. So they said we could have a C1 on deck 9. They said they had a 2 people traveling with a small child that wanted to move to a room that had 2 rooms. We declined.

They then came back and said they could offer more money - but said 'No' we would only switch for a Celebrity Suite or Penthouse.

The ship was completely full. But I was surprised that they were offering $$$ to move a passenger. This other party must have some pull or put up a huge fuss.

Just thought I would share our interesting experience.

On the second day of our cruise on the Millennium we got a call asking if we would be willing to switch rooms. We had 7199 the corner family stateroom with the huge deck. Which we specifically wanted for our cruise in Alaska. They first offered us $300 and a move to a Sky Suite. But we wanted our aft deck. So they said we could have a C1 on deck 9. They said they had a 2 people traveling with a small child that wanted to move to a room that had 2 rooms. We declined.

They then came back and said they could offer more money - but said 'No' we would only switch for a Celebrity Suite or Penthouse.

The ship was completely full. But I was surprised that they were offering $$$ to move a passenger. This other party must have some pull or put up a huge fuss.

It makes you wonder who they were to be asking ans be so persistent.:D

I think I would have moved. The other family must have had some serious needs to be moved or there wouldn't have been such offers. It would have made me feel better, as a person, to help these people out. But, that's just me.

Recently I became seriously ill just before boarding a Southwest flight home from a 14 day cruise, and even though we could have boarded early, I was too sick to board until the last minute....my only thought was I wanted to go home. My husband and I took the last seats available, middle seats several rows apart. After take off I couldn't bear the pain any more and went to the lavatory where a flight attendant became concerned and called for medical help. After about 45 minutes (maybe the worse in my life) the crisis passed and I felt well enough to go back to my seat. While my husband and I and the attendants and a couple of nurse passengers, and a doctor on the phone, were deciding what to do with me, a few passengers got together and changed up seats so that my husband and I could have two seats together at the very back of the plane so we could have some privacy. Such a wonderful act of kindness will forever be in my heart. And I am going to try to spend the rest of my life being the person who steps up when needed to help someone else out, even without being asked.

In general, i think the FV cabins should be reserved for families, as that is their purpose, but, the policy of only allowing bookings of 5 persons to begin with, means most families cannot book them either, and so they are left unbooked until after final payment, when celebrity then release to everyonem even parties of two people. I would say fairer to allow families of 2 adults and 2 children, to book them in advance, or, call up the family parties who have booked general cabins and offer them the FV before general release to parties of just two, just my opinion, people with kids do need more space to prevent mental illness whilst on holiday!!! :)

I'm sorry you got ill on the flight. I've also switched seats so people can sit together, for whatever the reason.

But it's not the same as choosing a cabin months in advance. And it wasn't even getting displaced for a family of 5, the usual benchmark for getting the FV I believe. People with small children, even 2 children, sail in inside cabins if that is what they can afford. If the cabin they wanted was not available on the sailing, they should have picked a different date when they made their reservations.

I can see being displaced...BEFORE SAILING...if you have a handicapped cabin and a handicapped person needs it (you are told that might happen), but I don't see any reason in the world why the OP should have given up their FV.

We were once asked to make such a move, we were offered a suite and we jumped at the chance. It was our first X Cruise and the second leg of a back to back and we were asked on change over day. Unfortunately the move has had long lasting consequences that has impacted on our retirement fund. It caught a very bad dose of the suite life and have not been able to shake it off

..... but I don't see any reason in the world why the OP should have given up their FV.

The best reason of all, to be nice to someone. None of us know the reason why a move was needed, but I doubt Royal would go along with a frivolous reason, such as someone who decided a day into a cruise that they had chosen a bad cabin. My best guess was a sick child or a special needs child who needed more room to cope.

The OP is under no obligation to switch, and I am not in the least being judgmental. We all have to live with the choices we make. I was simply stating that I would have most likely moved. It would have made me feel good to help someone out. :)

My best guess was a sick child or a special needs child who needed more room to cope.

The OP is under no obligation to switch, and I am not in the least being judgmental. We all have to live with the choices we make. I was simply stating that I would have most likely moved. It would have made me feel good to help someone out. :)

If it had been put to me that way then I would most definitely have considered the move, but if it were simply because they had a small child and wanted more space then I wouldn't. In the absence of further information from the staff on board my best guess would be the latter.

Phil

At the end of your day you have to answer to yourself. If you feel that you shouldn't move, then don't if you feel like you should then do. If the cruiseline wants me to move then they would need to explain why and then I can make an informed decision. Chances are, I would have moved to the SS and taken the dosh and vacated the room for the family as it probably was a good reason.

BTW, wouldn't the SS be a down grade from the FV?:D

I figured there were would be many different view points.

Here's more information regarding our decision:

1. We booked that specific room 9 months in advance for 2 people

2. We were traveling with another couple who booked an inside (both of us celebrating our 25th anniversaries) and planned to spend a lot of time on the deck together

3. SS does seem like a down grade from a FV (and I believe may have cost less)

4. There were some celebrities on board and I suspect it was one of them that had a small child with them.

5. We were given no other reason beside they would like to have separate rooms for sleeping

6. If it had been a lot more money or future upgrades i might have considered it. But we booked this specific cruise because I found this specific room for 2 people available.

Sure hope this doesn't happen to us as we have the corner aft FV for our Panama canal cruise in Sept.We switched as soon as they became available for 2.I would switch for a proven medical reason but certainly not to give them more space.The OP said they WANTED 2 rooms,don't we all.

The best reason of all, to be nice to someone. None of us know the reason why a move was needed, but I doubt Royal would go along with a frivolous reason, such as someone who decided a day into a cruise that they had chosen a bad cabin. My best guess was a sick child or a special needs child who needed more room to cope.

Margie, you are a lovely lady x

They would have had to give me a darn good reason for switching; sleeping in two rooms does NOT do it, especially for someone who had specifically picked that cabin far in advance. If there was a good reason to do it, I would have, but not for that paltry excuse. AND I would have spent the whole cruise feeling guilty about saying 'no'. I think the cruise line put the OP in a VERY uncomfortable spot. I know how Guest Relations rolls--it must have been some VIP, because they would never even have asked for an 'ordinary' guest.

I just booked a corner FV for Alaska next July last night because we want the huge balcony. I always book through our warehouse club because the prices are so much cheaper and I was just calling to find out how to go about booking the corner FV since online it only says you can book the GTY. Apparently they have to book those rooms only to parties of 5 and they have to go directly to X to reserve them. Since they are in such demand I booked it on the spot! I completely agree with OP on this one - since these are precious commodities I would not have switched either.

Although I am a little concerned that we will be crowded with 5 of us I am figuring that there will not be all that much time spent in the room. For those of you that have sailed in these rooms are they worth the wait? And am I crazy to be annoyed about the lack of an updated bathroom when I will have those views for 7 days??

I think I would have moved. The other family must have had some serious needs to be moved or there wouldn't have been such offers. It would have made me feel better, as a person, to help these people out. But, that's just me.

quote]

If they had come to me and said that there was a serious need, I would have thought about it, as most of us would.

However, we have no idea what the circumstances were, or who the people involved were.

I just booked a corner FV for Alaska next July last night because we want the huge balcony.

For those of you that have sailed in these rooms are they worth the wait? And am I crazy to be annoyed about the lack of an updated bathroom when I will have those views for 7 days??

Yes, the corner FV will be worth the wait....and no, you will not be annoyed with the lack of an updated bathroom.

Archived