We were asked to switch rooms on our cruise from a family stateroom?

northwoods2

I am amazed that Celebrity opened up the FV cabins 9 months out and let only 2 people book. I have only seen that happen close to final payment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was also surprised at this.Ours only opened up after final payment.

If it had been put to me that way then I would most definitely have considered the move, but if it were simply because they had a small child and wanted more space then I wouldn't. In the absence of further information from the staff on board my best guess would be the latter.

Phil

I agree-if the child was autistic-and not handling the change well -perhaps being disruptive when in public areas- where Mom and Dad found they needed to stay in the cabin more- I would see that as a valid reason (or something of that sort)-but as you said-just explain that to me-otherwise I would think it is a selfish person who believed their desires were more important than mine because they had more money than me and was willing to bribe Celebrity.

I am amazed that Celebrity opened up the FV cabins 9 months out and let only 2 people book. I have only seen that happen close to final payment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was unusual - but it seemed like they were having problems selling this cruise and had FV open many times for 2 people after we booked.

It might have been because it was during the Olympics.

Everyone has access to floor plans, etc. before they book a cruise. If you know you need a certain type of space for your personal situation, you book that type of cabin. If that cabin is not available, you book another cruise, or don't book at all.

You don't ask someone else to switch on board.

There are 12 FV's on every M class. No one "needs" the plum corner one, the ones next to them also have the separate sleeping area. Obviously no one else wanted to switch, either, or they would not have asked the OP twice.

I would have no guilty conscience at all about saying no. I think whoever they were thought a "suite" would be better - in my opinion the Sky Suites are not (yes, I've been in one, there was an available one on one cruise that they were raffling off at Bingo. We had a regular aft (not an FV) and we did not even bother to buy a ticket).

That this might have been a special needs child, etc, is all speculation. And if that were true, see my paragraph one above. Book the cabin you need.

If there was a sick child involved we would move immediately....if just for space as was apparently told to the OP I would have done the same thing they did....upgrade us to the equal of what we have and we'll move....that being a CS, RS, or PH, but to move just because of space...welll not good enough reason and I would NOT feel guilty at all.

A legitimate reason is one thing...convenience is another and I only get one vacation too and am not willing to downgrade it to accommodate someone who didn't plan well enough in advance..

The best reason of all, to be nice to someone. None of us know the reason why a move was needed, but I doubt Royal would go along with a frivolous reason, such as someone who decided a day into a cruise that they had chosen a bad cabin. My best guess was a sick child or a special needs child who needed more room to cope.

The OP is under no obligation to switch, and I am not in the least being judgmental. We all have to live with the choices we make. I was simply stating that I would have most likely moved. It would have made me feel good to help someone out. :)

Typically I like to help people out on a daily basis but moving from my cabin two days into a cruise would not be something that I would do. I think that X was wrong to even ask.

And if two people traveling with a small child didn't have the insight to anticipate issues then that really isn't my concern to bail them out. And the chump change of $300 most likely an OBC is an insult IMHO.

I figured there were would be many different view points.

Here's more information regarding our decision:

1. We booked that specific room 9 months in advance for 2 people

2. We were traveling with another couple who booked an inside (both of us celebrating our 25th anniversaries) and planned to spend a lot of time on the deck together

3. SS does seem like a down grade from a FV (and I believe may have cost less)

4. There were some celebrities on board and I suspect it was one of them that had a small child with them.

5. We were given no other reason beside they would like to have separate rooms for sleeping

6. If it had been a lot more money or future upgrades i might have considered it. But we booked this specific cruise because I found this specific room for 2 people available.

I sure hope you enjoyed every moment celebrating your 25th anniversery.

There's a saying....The lack of proper planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on ours. I read that at a hardware store one time, it was posted near one of the work areas that cut various things. I loved it and have always remembered it.

I don't think the family with the small child was wrong to ask to be moved.

I don't think it was wrong for X to ask the OP to move for $$.

I don't think it was wrong for the OP to decline the initial offer and insist on a move to a suite, etc.

Now it could have been wrong by the way someone asked something, but to me, there's no harm in asking a question. X's asking the OP to move and offering something could have made two sets of passengers happy. It looks like good customer service to me.

I don't think the family with the small child was wrong to ask to be moved.

I don't think it was wrong for X to ask the OP to move for $$.

I don't think it was wrong for the OP to decline the initial offer and insist on a move to a suite, etc.

Now it could have been wrong by the way someone asked something, but to me, there's no harm in asking a question. X's asking the OP to move and offering something could have made two sets of passengers happy. It looks like good customer service to me.

If it was only done for more space and convenience it was insulting to ask.If it was asked for a medical reason it should have been explained immediately.

If it was only done for more space and convenience it was insulting to ask.If it was asked for a medical reason it should have been explained immediately.

Was it insulting for the family to ask X? Was it insulting for X to ask the OP? Both? Who was it insulting to? I don't think it was insulting, inappropriate, or anything bad to ask. I'm guessing that we might have to agree to disagree here as I think it would be good customer service on the part of X.

I agree completely, however, that if they wanted someone to move for medical reasons, that should have been explained up front if they could. If I were to get such a call, I would have a lot of questions before I would agree to move from the cabin I picked. Such as:

- Is X going to charge the family more for my cabin? If so, how much?

- Is there a medical reason for the request? If so, what is it? [Perhaps they wouldn't be able to answer this for privacy reasons without the family's permission]

- Are you planning to move me to the cabin they're vacating? If so, did they complain about the cabin for reasons other than space?

While I generally agree that it's the guests responsibiilty to pick an appropriate cabin, I do not have a problem with what anyone (Family, X, OP) did here.

Finally, thanks to the OP for posting this issue. I've enjoyed reading people's different reactions to the situation.

Was it insulting for the family to ask X? Was it insulting for X to ask the OP? Both? Who was it insulting to? I don't think it was insulting, inappropriate, or anything bad to ask. I'm guessing that we might have to agree to disagree here as I think it would be good customer service on the part of X.

I agree completely, however, that if they wanted someone to move for medical reasons, that should have been explained up front if they could. If I were to get such a call, I would have a lot of questions before I would agree to move from the cabin I picked. Such as:

- Is X going to charge the family more for my cabin? If so, how much?

- Is there a medical reason for the request? If so, what is it? [Perhaps they wouldn't be able to answer this for privacy reasons without the family's permission]

- Are you planning to move me to the cabin they're vacating? If so, did they complain about the cabin for reasons other than space?

While I generally agree that it's the guests responsibiilty to pick an appropriate cabin, I do not have a problem with what anyone (Family, X, OP) did here.

Finally, thanks to the OP for posting this issue. I've enjoyed reading people's different reactions to the situation.

I certainly agree with all of the questions you propose.We only seem to disagree on the one point.;)

To the OP (Northwoods2)

Thank you for posting this thread.

Since we have a FV coming up, it gave us something to think about.

We were able to discuss the situation today and anticipate what we might do if such a situation confronted us. There were some good opinions expressed and I enjoyed reading the different perspectives.

Happy crusing to you and a belated Happy Anniversary! :D

Hi teajak!

I agree that X should not have asked if it was just for more space. Makes me wonder though if the customer that wanted that stateroom was making life a living H--- for Customer Service and X found themselves between the proverbial "rock and a hard place" and asked the OP to move to get the customer off their backs.... I've seen some pretty unreasonable people at Customer Service desks before.... would love to know the real reason behind the request...:eek:

I think I would have moved. The other family must have had some serious needs to be moved or there wouldn't have been such offers. It would have made me feel better, as a person, to help these people out. But, that's just me.

quote]

If they had come to me and said that there was a serious need, I would have thought about it, as most of us would.

However, we have no idea what the circumstances were, or who the people involved were.

Exactly, without more of a reason, why give up a stateroom you have been dreaming about for so long!!!! Once they gave it to you it should be yours... Perhaps the others realized they were a bit cramped but without more info no one will know!

As someone who spends a lot of time picking just the right cabin, I would not want to switch unless I felt it was a significant step up for me. I have my reasons for wanting a hump cabin on the port side on my upcoming cruise. The cruise line may feel it's no big deal to move to aft, or starboard or whatever, but it would bother me. I would not appreciate even being asked because it would affect my cruise - I wouldn't be able to not feel somewhat guilty for the rest of the cruise. Other than a serious medical emergency, I'm with those who said the "askers" should have done their research and picked the appropriate cabin to begin with or else suck it up and live with what you booked.

Hi Gracie

We will be on the Millenium Sept.22,San Diego to Miami. We scored the deck 9 corner aft FV after they opened them up and I am really excited. I will ask around on the ship if anyone knows what happened.I really think if there was not a good reason or they would have told the OP.I called our TA today to see if they could move you without your consent and she said no, only the handicapped can be moved because if you don't need the HA cabin you agree to that.I usually need a HA but will be able to maneuver my walker in this cabin.

This is just supposition by many posters that the child could have been sick but why would a sick child even be on the cruise? The OP said this was the first day. If the child was sick, then just like a sick adult they should not have been allowed on the ship.

If the child had other problems (autism, a disability, etc) then the parents should have initially reserved a suitable cabin without going ahead and booking and then getting on the ship expecting for someone to change with them.

I can't imagine a scenario that would warrant Celebrity asking for someone to change on the first day of the cruise except that some person who felt privileged demanded it. It sounds like someone went ahead and booked an unsuitable cabin thinking they could change once they boarded.

Hi Gracie

We will be on the Millenium Sept.22,San Diego to Miami. We scored the deck 9 corner aft FV after they opened them up and I am really excited. I will ask around on the ship if anyone knows what happened.I really think if there was not a good reason or they would have told the OP.I called our TA today to see if they could move you without your consent and she said no, only the handicapped can be moved because if you don't need the HA cabin you agree to that.I usually need a HA but will be able to maneuver my walker in this cabin.

Oh lucky you!! I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the Millie now...pretty sure it has been "solstisized". What a great stateroom to have to go through the Panama Canal! I sure wouldn't give that one up! I loved the Olympic restaurant when we were on Millie a LONG time ago...hope it's still just as good. Have a wonderful time!!:)

This is just supposition by many posters that the child could have been sick but why would a sick child even be on the cruise? The OP said this was the first day. If the child was sick, then just like a sick adult they should not have been allowed on the ship.

If the child had other problems (autism, a disability, etc) then the parents should have initially reserved a suitable cabin without going ahead and booking and then getting on the ship expecting for someone to change with them.

I can't imagine a scenario that would warrant Celebrity asking for someone to change on the first day of the cruise except that some person who felt privileged demanded it. It sounds like someone went ahead and booked an unsuitable cabin thinking they could change once they boarded.

I think other posters, including myself, were trying to find a reason for X to make the request...but I think you're right that it was someone who thought if they demanded hard enough they'd get what they want...AND if that WAS the case I'm very glad the OP said, NO!!:)

Perhaps everyone is overthinking this situation. I have a scenario which happened to my brother and his family when he cruised except he got upgraded as they had rooms available.

Scenario - Maybe the room and not the family in it had an issue (i.e broken toilet that could not be fixed easily) . As the ship was full they looked at other family rooms /suites and as the OP only had the two of them in the room they were asked to move. They declined end of story, Celebrity move the family to a much smaller cabin (3 berth) and probably get compensated appropriately. The Family may not have been stars or celebs at all.:D

Perhaps everyone is overthinking this situation. I have a scenario which happened to my brother and his family when he cruised except he got upgraded as they had rooms available.

Scenario - Maybe the room and not the family in it had an issue (i.e broken toilet that could not be fixed easily) . As the ship was full they looked at other family rooms /suites and as the OP only had the two of them in the room they were asked to move. They declined end of story, Celebrity move the family to a much smaller cabin (3 berth) and probably get compensated appropriately. The Family may not have been stars or celebs at all.:D

wow...nicer scenario and I like the way you think:)...I hope that is the case..... a much kinder look at the picture than I was imagining.... still tough decision to make even then.....key is knowing the whole story and with out that I would probably still say no.

wow...nicer scenario and I like the way you think:)...I hope that is the case..... a much kinder look at the picture than I was imagining.... still tough decision to make even then.....key is knowing the whole story and with out that I would probably still say no.

That is right, even with this scenario, I am not sure I would have moved without better compensation. Obviously, some posters would and others wouldn't, it would be their decision and we shouldn't judge them one way or the other. I think the moral here is don't judge too quickly and that Celebrity should have provided a full story (or better compensation) if they wanted the OPs cooperation.:D

A bit upstream I told the story of them raffling off a Sky Suite - I was wrong. They were raffling off a Royal Suite, and we still would not have moved from our aft. I recall now that it had multiple rooms, and the hot tub on the deck.

Look at the difference in square footage of the FV vs. the Sky Suite...SS is 251 with a 57 sf veranda, FV is 574 sf with a 105 sf veranda...who in the world would switch for a measly $300? I bet if they refunded the entire cruise price they might have had some takers (I might have considered it for that) :)

If their original cabin had a problem, why were they not simply moved to the available Sky Suite? It has a convertible sofa and is plenty big for 2 adults and one child.

I imagine that is what may have been offered in the end. My point was it may have had everything to do with the room and not the family.:D

Archived