Ft. Lauderdale Employee question

John Cruise

HAL's shore operations in FLL are wonderful. They do a great job.

There aren't any HAL ships in the Caribbean now so what do you mean? :confused: What could have happened if HAL doesn't have any ships there now? :confused:

I did an Internet search for any newsworthy events and couldn't find anything. Oddly enough, the local paper had a series of pics and drawings of the new ships coming out this winter- NCL Breakaway, Disney Fantasy, etc, even tho I am not sure those ships will be coming to Port Everglades.

Wondering of maybe HAL was training new shoreside employees and something happened?

Guess we won't know until, and if, the OP comes back.

Mere speculation but.......

Isn't Port Everglades doing construction on HAL's terminals? Seems to me I heard there is some renovations/remodeling work being done? Maybe there's a connection to that?

Hi John Criuse. If you have something to say, then spit it out please. I'm not good at guessing games :-)

couldn't agree more

this is like watching tv when the bulletin interrupts the program and the announcer says "Huge story out of Ft. Lauderdale Shore Ops!! Details at 11"!!

ok: it's way past 11 .. so what's the news:eek:

if the OP doesn't know, shouldn't even have begun the threat IMO

couldn't agree more

this is like watching tv when the bulletin interrupts the program and the announcer says "Huge story out of Ft. Lauderdale Shore Ops!! Details at 11"!!

ok: it's way past 11 .. so what's the news:eek:

if the OP doesn't know, shouldn't even have begun the threat IMO

Could not agree more.

At least OP tell us what you thought you heard. Does not have to be verbatim, just the gist of what made you ask the question....

Joanie

While we're waiting for clarification I was wondering if anybody knew how HAL actually runs its shore operations in Ft Lauderdale. Years ago we sailed on Celebrity out of Galveston and one of the passengers on our roll call was also working shore operations for that cruise. She said she actually worked for a sub-contractor who provided shore operations support to the then four or five cruise lines using Galveston. One day she might be wearing Princess uniform, the next Carnival, the next Norwegian and so on. Talking to her during the cruise she said they attended classes to learn the differences between the lines in terms of check-in, priority boarding, etc., etc., but it was essentially the same process so no big deal. With the number of HAL ships in and out of Ft Lauderdale during the season I was wondering if HAL sub-contracts or do they have their own more or less permanent staff? Might add that on our last cruise on Silversea the shore operations was actually run by the ship's staff but we're talking a foriegn port and a much, much smaller ship. Other than the port authority running the limited security system we were greated curbside by one of the cruise staff and processed through check-in by other cruise staff.

While we're waiting for clarification I was wondering if anybody knew how HAL actually runs its shore operations in Ft Lauderdale. Years ago we sailed on Celebrity out of Galveston and one of the passengers on our roll call was also working shore operations for that cruise. She said she actually worked for a sub-contractor who provided shore operations support to the then four or five cruise lines using Galveston.

At Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale), this is what I understand to be the case (although I don't work there, so no promises):

-1 The People who collect, sort, and transfer your luggage are all provided by the port or a single company working at the port. HAL (and all other cruise lines) hire that company (or perhaps 1 of 2 option) to handle luggage for them.

-2 HAL has a wholly owned subsidiary called Worldwide Shore Services (so owned by the parent company, but different set of employees, different pay system, etc.) that hires people to work at Port Everglades and possibly other ports as well. According to their web site ( http://wssflorida.com/index.html ) at Port Everglades they process passengers for HAL, Seabourn, and Carnival at the pier, at the local airports (meet & greet) and at the hotels (if passengers have purchased rooms as part of a package).

At Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale), this is what I understand to be the case (although I don't work there, so no promises):

-1 The People who collect, sort, and transfer your luggage are all provided by the port or a single company working at the port. HAL (and all other cruise lines) hire that company (or perhaps 1 of 2 option) to handle luggage for them.

-2 HAL has a wholly owned subsidiary called Worldwide Shore Services (so owned by the parent company, but different set of employees, different pay system, etc.) that hires people to work at Port Everglades and possibly other ports as well. According to their web site ( http://wssflorida.com/index.html ) at Port Everglades they process passengers for HAL, Seabourn, and Carnival at the pier, at the local airports (meet & greet) and at the hotels (if passengers have purchased rooms as part of a package).

#1 Has always been my assumption. #2 For Ft Lauderdale that makes perfectly good sense considering the number of Carnival Corp lines using that port. I do know, and I think Sail7seas can chime in here as I think we discussed this once before, that there are folks who have worked "for" HAL in Ft Lauderdale for years. I want to say her name is Evelyn but not sure but for sure I first met her in 1994 manning the HAL check-in desk at Pier 66, ran into her again in 1998 at the airport where she was representing HAL, and saw her the last time in 2006 manning a hotel check-in desk for HAL. That's like 12 years working at least part time if not full time for HAL and maybe Carnival Corp.

Ahhh, Randy. :) I think you are referring to a lady named Vivian?

Delightful woman we saw often at Hyatt Pier 66 when HAL used that hotel for pre and post cruise stays. :)

Oh yeah Vivian....that's her. :o Anyhow, she's been around Ft Lauderdale working HAL cruises for years. Not sure she's still working or with HAL but the point is that she's probably not the only long term employee in the area. Generally shore operations go pretty well which is probably due at least in part to long term employees like Vivian.

Isn't Port Everglades doing construction on HAL's terminals? Seems to me I heard there is some renovations/remodeling work being done? Maybe there's a connection to that?

If indeed, that is the case, some renovations of the HAL terminals would be more than welcome.

The following article appeared on FLL Sun-Sentinel's web site.

Holland America closes Fort Lauderdale shore operation

By Marcia Heroux Pounds 8:26 a.m. EDT, August 20, 2012

Holland America cruise line has closed its Fort Lauderdale shore operation at Port Everglades, which handled passengers' luggage and did other preparations for cruises.

Twenty workers have been laid off, the cruise line said.

The cruise line said it is in discussion with third-party vendors to provide the service and the new operator will be in place prior to the first ship call of the season in Fort Lauderdale on Oct. 12.

"We will announce our new partner in coming weeks," said spokeswoman Sally Andrews in an email on Friday.

Workers who were displaced by the closure are being provided with outplacement services and severance packages. Many will be offered other positions within the Carnival cruise line family, she said.

Holland America cruise line has closed its Fort Lauderdale shore operation at Port Everglades, which handled passengers' luggage and did other preparations for cruises.

The cruise line said it is in discussion with third-party vendors to provide the service and the new operator will be in place prior to the first ship call of the season in Fort Lauderdale on Oct. 12.

"We will announce our new partner in coming weeks," said spokeswoman Sally Andrews in an email on Friday.

Workers who were displaced by the closure are being provided with outplacement services and severance packages. Many will be offered other positions within the Carnival cruise line family, she said.

thanks very much - nice to have a 'clue' what the OP was talking about

WOW!! That is a bit scarey to hear. I like the way HAL's Port/Shore Operations worked.........

Sure as heck hope that there are very few if any glitches for everyone!!

God Bless all of the HAL Employees affected by this.

I really think that Carnival may come to regret this, but what do I know.

Joanie

Port Everglades Shore Ops has been so well done by this group for so long, that this totally shocks and makes me sick to my stomach for them. These are very hard working, loyal, wonderful people who are so good at their jobs.

Hello chaos and bedlam ........

Port Everglades Shore Ops has been so well done by this group for so long, that this totally shocks and makes me sick to my stomach for them. These are very hard working, loyal, wonderful people who are so good at their jobs.

Hello chaos and bedlam ........

Maybe the person on the NOORDAM next February will not be able to make that 11:00 AM flight if this new service boches things up on a cosnsitant basis Sorry to hear about the change.

This ranks right up there in the "not good news" category. These folks have been doing these jobs for years. I imagine some of them will go with the sub- contractor but that's typically at lower pay. Ugh......:(

On our December cruise going on the N. Amsterdam We were greeted with total indifference by 5 so called baggage personel in which We unloaded our luggage right in front of them:eek: Had to say excuise me but do you work here? Finally had ther attention and they took our luggage:) Reported this to Hal after the cruise along with other beefs We had about the cruise:confused: Did hear back from Hal and they said they would look into this situation. Well maybe they did as this was very un like Hal normal customer relations at the terminal.

According to the article, the people affected seem to be the luggage handlers, not check-in/ground staff. It's two different departments, and there are certainly more than 20 people in the check-in/ground staff dept.

I believe that the luggage handlers are union employees, while the check in/ground staff are not.

Archived