ChoiceAir and Flight Changes

Florida Fan

We just paid the balance for the cruise and air a few days ago and decided to check our plane reservation. We couldn't find our flight. We called ChoiceAir and found out we'd been moved from Lufthansa to United and now had an additional leg and and an additional 6 hrs. in flight. We're waiting to hear from the ChoiceAir rescheduling dept. and keeping our fingers crossed for a better itinerary.

When I wrote the above on another thread, someone said that they had also had their flight changed. However, they didn't go back to ChoiceAir for rescheduling, but rather went to the airline and got a better itinerary. They weren't sure if they did the right thing. They also wondered if they should tell ChoiceAir of the change.

Does anyone have experience with what to do when you book with ChoiceAir, but then you find out your reservation has been changed? Should I try to get a better schedule, or should I wait to hear from ChoiceAir?

Lenore

When I wrote the above on another thread, someone said that they had also had their flight changed. However, they didn't go back to ChoiceAir for rescheduling, but rather went to the airline and got a better itinerary. They weren't sure if they did the right thing. They also wondered if they should tell ChoiceAir of the change.

I am not an expert on ChoiceAir, but I don't understand how you can go directly to the airline and have them change your flight, especially between different airlines.

When I booked the reservation originally with ChoiceAir, they gave me a confirmation number. After we were switched to United, ChoiceAir said I could monitor my reservation using that confirmation number on the United web page. And yes, I can pull it up.

I think that our reservation was switched from Lufthansa to United because they share services. My guess is that Lufthansa changed the original flight, so we were moved to a comparable (but much less attractive) itinerary.

I know there are downsides with using ChoiceAir, but if I had to pay what the airlines were asking for a one-way fare (we're on a transAtlantic), I wouldn't be able to go at all.

That is really odd since they are different airlines, but of course both Star Alliance.

I would not be happy since prefer Lufthansa to United.

Choice Air is just Celebrity/RCCL/Azamara's booking tool and they are acting as agent. Apparently they have been able to cancel flights even with non-refundable tickets for these big schedule changes based on numerous people on our roll call for an upcoming Celebrity TA being able to change flights without cost. But all called the Choice Air department directly (and did not need to go through their ta). I think it is odd that the cruise line would do that without checking with you. If this is truly Choice Air and not Cruise Air you need to

1) Decide which flights and airline you want

2) Contact Choice Air immediately and request they make the change.

If your original flights would not get you to your ship on time, including connection time, they have been changing people and eating the change fees (or negotiating with the airlines so they do not have to pay either). This does not mean you will not have to pay the difference if another flight is more expensive than the one you initially had which was canceled.

Please let us know what happens.

When I booked the reservation originally with ChoiceAir, they gave me a confirmation number. After we were switched to United, ChoiceAir said I could monitor my reservation using that confirmation number on the United web page. And yes, I can pull it up.

I think that our reservation was switched from Lufthansa to United because they share services. My guess is that Lufthansa changed the original flight, so we were moved to a comparable (but much less attractive) itinerary.

I know there are downsides with using ChoiceAir, but if I had to pay what the airlines were asking for a one-way fare (we're on a transAtlantic), I wouldn't be able to go at all.

You still should have a Choice, so check to see if there are other options.

Btw, it seems that most everyone on our Silhouette TA roll call from the US is using Choice Air. Where else can we pay under $500.00 for a one way flight to Rome. We are even on our preferred airline and exact flights that we want with extra days in Rome. We can call the airline directly, could pick our seats, and have the airline send us a direct confirmation.

Each airline is different. Note that Lufthansa and SWISS will both speak directly to the passenger who booked through Choice Air.

We are on SWISS btw. Lufthansa is our second Choice.

Btw, it seems that most everyone on our Silhouette TA roll call from the US is using Choice Air. Where else can we pay under $500.00 for a one way flight to Rome. We are even on our preferred airline and exact flights that we want with extra days in Rome. We can call the airline directly, could pick our seats, and have the airline send us a direct confirmation.

You know very well that you can come very close to the Choice Air price WITHOUT ALL THE RESTRICTIONS on the CHEAPEST tickets.

Booked today-BOS to FCO, Nov 29-Icelandair-$582, AerLingus-$612, LOT (particularly if you want to see Warsaw for a day)-$546. There are others. May not be the airline you want but the times are good, you can see the blue lagoon in Iceland if flying Icelandair, can take up to two weeks for stopover in Ireland on the AerLingus flight. Almost like two vacations in one if you use the stopover provisions on these airlines. You do have options.

We just paid the balance for the cruise and air a few days ago and decided to check our plane reservation. We couldn't find our flight. We called ChoiceAir and found out we'd been moved from Lufthansa to United and now had an additional leg and and an additional 6 hrs. in flight. We're waiting to hear from the ChoiceAir rescheduling dept. and keeping our fingers crossed for a better itinerary.

Does anyone have experience with what to do when you book with ChoiceAir, but then you find out your reservation has been changed? Should I try to get a better schedule, or should I wait to hear from ChoiceAir?

Lenore

Was this one of the "flex" bookings where you book the cruise and air and then pay at final payment? If so, reading the fine print, the cruise line CAN change the airline to whatever they have available. Almost EXACTLY like old style cruise air, where you don't know what you get until about 90 days out.

Only benefits to these tickets is if you cancel the cruise, you are not stuck with an airline ticket that may or may not have residual value and they are generally published fare tickets because they are whatever seats the airlines under contract have available. These are not the bulk purchase, "sitting on the shelf" tickets of the CHEAPEST of the cruise air tickets.

Oh my, these were FLEX tickets. There was a chance we'd have to cancel the cruise, so we chose FLEX. We've paid our TA for everything now, so maybe our plans will fall into place.

I'd like to know what people think of Delta for a transAtlantic flight. Delta has 2 flights that are the right hours, arrive at the right time, and have one less leg. I think the cross-ocean part is actually an Alitalia flight. All comments appreciated.

If your experiences are positive, perhaps I'll call ChoiceAir and ask for one of those flights. Their fares are lower than what we paid, so that might help.

You know very well that you can come very close to the Choice Air price WITHOUT ALL THE RESTRICTIONS on the CHEAPEST tickets.

Booked today-BOS to FCO, Nov 29-Icelandair-$582, AerLingus-$612, LOT (particularly if you want to see Warsaw for a day)-$546. There are others. May not be the airline you want but the times are good, you can see the blue lagoon in Iceland if flying Icelandair, can take up to two weeks for stopover in Ireland on the AerLingus flight. Almost like two vacations in one if you use the stopover provisions on these airlines. You do have options.

Hi Greatam. You are of course right.

Btw, we had always planned to fly Icelandair somewhere so we could go to Iceland, BUT, now have been on Voyage of the Vikings. Loved the Blue Lagoon. And of course we listened to your suggestion last year and flew Aerlingus home from Amsterdam, and it was a great experience. But, after our 23 night South American cruise/vacation this year just wanted to fly SWISS to Rome. I did look at Aer Lingus but don't recall seeing available flights at the time we booked.

We have a couple pre-cruise nights and then a 15 night transatlantic. I wish we had more time in Rome, our favorite non-USA city. Hope to fly Aer Lingus again and spend time in Ireland. Have not been there in about 20 years.

Btw, we paid $496.00 each for our flight to Rome on the exact routing and flights that we wanted.

I'd like to know what people think of Delta for a transAtlantic flight. Delta has 2 flights that are the right hours, arrive at the right time, and have one less leg. I think the cross-ocean part is actually an Alitalia flight. All comments appreciated.

So... are you asking about Delta or Alitalia? If you post the flight details, someone can probably tell you for sure which one is the operating carrier. Once that's determined, what exactly are you asking when you say "what do people think of Delta...?" Again, if you post details of what you would actually like to know about Delta (or Alitalia) someone can probably give you a better answer. :)

Oh my, these were FLEX tickets. There was a chance we'd have to cancel the cruise, so we chose FLEX. We've paid our TA for everything now, so maybe our plans will fall into place.

If your experiences are positive, perhaps I'll call ChoiceAir and ask for one of those flights. Their fares are lower than what we paid, so that might help.

The way I understand these "flex" tickets: the passenger picks whatever is best for them when they book the cruise. The passenger does not pay for the air portion UNTIL final payment. However, there is NO GUARANTEE that you will get EXACTLY what you picked, just something "similar".

The cruise line takes whatever "leftover" tickets are available from airlines they have contract with when the flex tickets must be allocated. But YOUR chosen flight may have already been sold out. So you are moved to whatever is available and "similar".

Just because there are Delta/Alitalia flights flying in the time slot/day you need doesn't mean that is what you will get. You could and should certainly ask but don't hold your breath.

I am trying to figure out how you know the Delta/Alitalia flight is lower than "what we paid". If you are referring to looking at the Choice Air website, your situation is NOT even the same premise or the same type of ticket.

YOU agreed to pay a premium initially to have Choice Air set aside seats for your party WITHOUT paying for them. IF you decide NOT to go on the cruise, Choice Air has two tickets available with YOUR preferred routing. Is it someone else's preferred routing who also bought "flex" tickets? Could be or not. But the two tickets which Choice Air "flex" was holding for you can now be used for someone else. And because the "someone else's" preferred routing is sold out, they now get YOUR preferred routing, which may or may not work for them.

My example above is most likely why you are on another routing. YOUR preferred routing was sold out. YOU got "similar" (which is all that is contracted for per the fine print).

The way I understand these "flex" tickets: the passenger picks whatever is best for them when they book the cruise. The passenger does not pay for the air portion UNTIL final payment. However, there is NO GUARANTEE that you will get EXACTLY what you picked, just something "similar"...

Maybe I have just had really good luck, but I've purchased Flex tickets from Choice Air 3 times now, and have always been on the carrier and flight we have requested. As soon as I purchase the Flex tickets, I get an airline locator code which allows me to register my flight on the airline's website, and pick seats. I can also use the airline's site to upgrade the seas to "Economy Plus". I have read of flights being changed on Choice Air, but this was because of the United/Continental merger and the actual flights booked were no longer available.

Bob

Adding to Greatam's post, your flights may have been changed due to a group of travelers. For example, assume your reservation is for 2 people. Your original flight has 3 seats available to Choice Air and the new flight has 2 seats. A group of 4 books through CA, so they moved you 2 to the new flight to accommodate the 4 on the original flight.

I think one reason I was confused was that we were assigned seats. Also the ChoiceAir person I spoke with gave me the impression that the flight and fares would not change. Yes, I know I should have read all the fine print. Oh well, it won't happen twice. My mother used to say that I made a lot of mistakes, but I only made each of them once.

Regarding Delta vs. Alitalia, there are 2 flights that I am looking at for Nov. 21st: (1) BWI (leave 1:35 pm) to JFK (arrive 2:42), then JFK (leave 5:35) to Rome (arrive 8:10 am next day); and (2) BWI (leave 12:45 pm) to Atlanta (arrive 2:42), the Atlanta (leave 4:20) to Rome (arrive 7:55 am next day). ChoiceAir shows the cross-ocean leg for the first flight is operated by Alitalia. However, it shows nothing for that leg for the second flight, which makes me think the cross-ocean leg for the second flight is operated by Delta.

Choice Air shows fares for both of these flights as less than what we paid when we booked months ago.

Thanks for all your interest and help.

Lenore

ChoiceAir shows the cross-ocean leg for the first flight is operated by Alitalia. However, it shows nothing for that leg for the second flight, which makes me think the cross-ocean leg for the second flight is operated by Delta.

If you want to know what airline is actually flying the TATL, simply go to DL's webpage, enter in your flight dates and times and see what it pulls up. It will tell you the operating carrier. Or, you could just call and ask.

I think one reason I was confused was that we were assigned seats. Also the ChoiceAir person I spoke with gave me the impression that the flight and fares would not change. Yes, I know I should have read all the fine print. Oh well, it won't happen twice. My mother used to say that I made a lot of mistakes, but I only made each of them once.

Regarding Delta vs. Alitalia, there are 2 flights that I am looking at for Nov. 21st: (1) BWI (leave 1:35 pm) to JFK (arrive 2:42), then JFK (leave 5:35) to Rome (arrive 8:10 am next day); and (2) BWI (leave 12:45 pm) to Atlanta (arrive 2:42), the Atlanta (leave 4:20) to Rome (arrive 7:55 am next day). ChoiceAir shows the cross-ocean leg for the first flight is operated by Alitalia. However, it shows nothing for that leg for the second flight, which makes me think the cross-ocean leg for the second flight is operated by Delta.

Lenore

Google (and other flight search or ticketing websites) are your friends. Googling "JFK-FCO" and "ATL-FCO" reveals:

Delta 6589 Dep: 5:35PM Arr: 8:00AM 8h 25m Boeing 777

OPERATED BY ALITALIA

Delta 240 Dep: 3:50PM Arr: 7:30AM 9h 40m Airbus A330

Since there's no "Operated by" notation for the ATL flight, it's Delta equipment and crew. Another clue is the first flight number is higher than 2xxx so that suggests a codeshare (but not with 100% certainty). Hope this helps

The way I understand these "flex" tickets: the passenger picks whatever is best for them when they book the cruise. The passenger does not pay for the air portion UNTIL final payment. However, there is NO GUARANTEE that you will get EXACTLY what you picked, just something "similar".

The cruise line takes whatever "leftover" tickets are available from airlines they have contract with when the flex tickets must be allocated. But YOUR chosen flight may have already been sold out. So you are moved to whatever is available and "similar".

Just because there are Delta/Alitalia flights flying in the time slot/day you need doesn't mean that is what you will get. You could and should certainly ask but don't hold your breath.

YOU agreed to pay a premium initially to have Choice Air set aside seats for your party WITHOUT paying for them. IF you decide NOT to go on the cruise, Choice Air has two tickets available with YOUR preferred routing. Is it someone else's preferred routing who also bought "flex" tickets? Could be or not. But the two tickets which Choice Air "flex" was holding for you can now be used for someone else. And because the "someone else's" preferred routing is sold out, they now get YOUR preferred routing, which may or may not work for them.

My example above is most likely why you are on another routing. YOUR preferred routing was sold out. YOU got "similar" (which is all that is contracted for per the fine print).

Greatam, what you are saying makes sense except I have always been under the impression that Choice Air Flex tickets were just a more expensive ticket that was refundable up until final payment, but was still a guaranteed routing. I have heard a number of people book these so they are guaranteed the price AND routing but still can keep looking for a better deal and even switch to a cheaper non-refundable option through Choice Air before final payment.

It would never have occurred to me that someones "Choice" could be given away to someone else. I don't think many people would use this option if they thought their routing could be changed. I assume they still pay the $25.00 booking fee to Choice Air, and I thought that amount would guarantee the flights.

Greatam, what you are saying makes sense except I have always been under the impression that Choice Air Flex tickets were just a more expensive ticket that was refundable up until final payment, but was still a guaranteed routing. I have heard a number of people book these so they are guaranteed the price AND routing but still can keep looking for a better deal and even switch to a cheaper non-refundable option through Choice Air before final payment.

It would never have occurred to me that someones "Choice" could be given away to someone else. I don't think many people would use this option if they thought their routing could be changed. I assume they still pay the $25.00 booking fee to Choice Air, and I thought that amount would guarantee the flights.

If something sounds too good to be true (you can guarantee a price and routing and still cancel if you get something better later), it usually is. These programs have traction because of the assumptions of customers who read their own wishes into the marketing language of the ads and promos. Yes, it's dull, dry, boring and complicated to read the actual terms and conditions of your purchases. Is it in your interest to delve deep? Only the consumer can decide for themselves.

BTW, this was NOT a slam on the poster....just indicative of the language that many people have used - and which indicates the level of assumptions being made.

If something sounds too good to be true (you can guarantee a price and routing and still cancel if you get something better later), it usually is. These programs have traction because of the assumptions of customers who read their own wishes into the marketing language of the ads and promos. Yes, it's dull, dry, boring and complicated to read the actual terms and conditions of your purchases. Is it in your interest to delve deep? Only the consumer can decide for themselves.

BTW, this was NOT a slam on the poster....just indicative of the language that many people have used - and which indicates the level of assumptions being made.

And also to clarify, I have never booked the Flex option with Choce Air. I have only booked the "non-refundable pay when you book" option. That is mostly because we are not serial cruise bookers who put reservations on multiple cruises at the same time waiting to see which will be the cheapest.

You can bet if we ever used this Flex option I would be doing more research and know what I was paying for in regards to flight itinerary. And you are right because my assumptions are based on what those who have booked using the Flex option state they are getting. I actually thought payment was made at the time the reservation was made but that "Flex" was the term used for a refundable ticket (or one with less retrictions).

Choice Air shows fares for both of these flights as less than what we paid when we booked months ago.

Thanks for all your interest and help.

Lenore

Lenore have you also done a look at IAD (Dulles) and even Newark (EWR). BWI has so very few international flights we live just 20 mins from BWI but for international usually drag over to Dulles. Maybe give you some additional choices. When we use Newark we usually take the train to the EWR airport which is pretty easy with a train stop in the back of the airport.

Lenore have you also done a look at IAD (Dulles) and even Newark (EWR). BWI has so very few international flights we live just 20 mins from BWI but for international usually drag over to Dulles. Maybe give you some additional choices. When we use Newark we usually take the train to the EWR airport which is pretty easy with a train stop in the back of the airport.

The OP has CHOICE AIR tickets. They are restricted to whatever Choice Air has available.

And the ONLY way they can deal with this is through Choice Air.

Bowie Meme, I have thought about Dulles in Virginia and haven't ruled it out. We live in NW DC, so we can get to either airport. However, we had wanted to drop our 2 dogs off at their sitter on the way to the airport, and the sitter lives very close to BWI. Oh well, I'm sure it will all work out.

Lenore

Archived