How long in advance did you plan your first cruise?

DT1304

I originally wanted to try a cruise in about 2005, but I moved countries and other factors led me to booking my first cruise for July 2009.

I had a cruise booked out of Miami on Carnival.

In January 2009 I changed jobs and could not get extra time off, so had to cancel.

I have now finally booked my first cruise, New Years cruise South Pacific, and still have 123 days to wait (Not that I am counting down or anything) ;)

Just out of interest, how long before your first cruise did you start planning, even if the long delays were due to cancelled cruises like in my case?

I originally wanted to try a cruise in about 2005, but I moved countries and other factors led me to booking my first cruise for July 2009.

I had a cruise booked out of Miami on Carnival.

In January 2009 I changed jobs and could not get extra time off, so had to cancel.

I have now finally booked my first cruise, New Years cruise South Pacific, and still have 123 days to wait (Not that I am counting down or anything) ;)

Just out of interest, how long before your first cruise did you start planning, even if the long delays were due to cancelled cruises like in my case?

Congratulations on finally getting book!

I don't remember for our 1st cruise as it was way back in 2003. I think it was only a month or so. I don't remember much doing much planning or researching, but I was also working 60 hour weeks and under a great deal of stress during a big company buyout (I survived it)

We booked our 2nd cruise 7 months in advance. I think I started my count down around 184 or 185 days. It's been a LONG wait, but it's almost here **finally** whoohoo! My bags are out and about 90% packed and we fly Friday and board Sat. I am definitely doing the happy dance!

I don't remember, it was back in 1972. I read the travel section of the Sunday New York Times, and realized I could actually go on a cruise. I went to a travel agency and booked it. Probably a couple of months. EM

Our first was about 6 mos. in advance...on the Star Princess, April '06 - but then got push back another 2 months due to the fire a few weeks before we were to board :( so we ended up on the Caribbean Princess in June :D and our addiction began :o;):D

At the time we knew nothing about Cruise Critic or roll calls - but now they really help make the "waiting for the next" much more bearable ;)

Wishing you a fabulous first cruise !!!!

My first one was planned about a week and a half or two weeks before sailing -- a spur of the moment decision to take a mother/daughter trip! Since then I've planned them anywhere from 3 months to over a year ahead of time.

Our very 1st cruise was booked about 5 months in advance...thereabouts. We were trying to sync our cruise with our daughter's return from college....of course, the dates of her exams changed, and messed up the whole thing....but we were able to change transportation dates, still got in the cruise and made it home before our daughter returned.....jeez...glad those days are OVER!

First cruised booked was about 6 months in advance on Carnival Dream. We ended up having to cancel that one about 1 month prior. A few months later we booked on Royal Caribbean's Allure just less than 1 month in advance. Had great cabins, too :)

I just booked our 2nd cruise about 6 months in advance. Any longer and I would be going crazy. I'm more of a last minute person..

Years ago i could go last minute so I would book a day or so in advance, I got some great deals. Now with family in tow its more in the 8-10 month range.

I also use to fly last minute when I was in my 20's. Several times I showed up at an airport and just asked for the cheapest roundfare ticket to somewhere warm. Those days are long over now

The very first cruise was spontaneous, checked cabins, found a nice one with low price, at that time I was clueless about deposit and final payments, price change, etc... It was in May, the reservation was done in January or February, and no insurance.

I sort of jumped on it. Got hooked since - and my current reservation is made 4.5 months in advance. I guess I'll never learn :p

I have booked as short as 2 months in advance to (now just booked) our cruise for NEXT December (this December already booked). Next Decembers cruise is a LONG way out and the longest I have ever waited on a cruise. Usually we cruise 1-2 times a year with it being about 6-8 months apart.

I do plan on squeezing in another cruise in either May or August next year before the December cruise. I CAN'T wait that long! :D :p

2 weeks. We live about an hour from the port but never thought about going. Some family was flying into our city before their cruise and asked if we would drop them off/pick them up from the port. Dh drove them over and was shocked over the size of the ship and all the excited people heading off. He came racing back to the house, and started to research when we could go on a cruise so he could show me how cool the ship was. We would have gone the following week, but had already committed to pick up the family member and drive them back to the airport, but we went the week after that on. A last minute special.

We booked our first cruise with a TA about 5 months before the cruise in 1993. Since then we have booked all of them ourselves from 4-6 months ahead of time. If we can't get the PH Suite we want, we change ships to get what we want. Never had an issue. Always a lot of fun!

I booked mine about 4 months in advance. Then started taking care of things like plane tickets, pre-cruise hotel reservations, shore excursions, shuttle transfers, taxi to home airport, shopping, packing, etc. as the time passed. By 10 days till, there was nothing left to do but pack my luggage. The night before, everything was all set, with nothing left to do but try to actually fall asleep (not very successfully).

Archived