Carry on for 12 night cruise?

sr5242

I was reading a travel site where they recommended carry ons for 2 week European cruises. Can this actually be done?

If anyone has done this, what make/model/size carryon did u use? Could you give me a sample packing list you used?

Thanks!

I was reading a travel site where they recommended carry ons for 2 week European cruises. Can this actually be done?

If anyone has done this, what make/model/size carryon did u use? Could you give me a sample packing list you used?

Thanks!

I'm used to traveling with a single 21 inch carry on and a personal item for any length trip. Lost and damaged luggage experiences have taught me what I really need. I'm not high maintenance so I don't need three changes of clothing each day, shoes for every outfit, or large quantities of personal items. You can see my packing in my cruise photoblog from May 2011 at kathcollins.shutterfly.com/2659 on page 2.

Everything for a 2 week transatlantic including my snorkel and mask!

Cosmetics, shampoos, skin care products etc all come in small sizes. I never pack full sized containers -they last months at home Why would I need them for a vacation?

Certain concessions need to be made - I bring one pair of sandals and wear my walking shoes. I bring 3 or 4 changes of clothing and any top can be worn with any pants. For formal night I wear a sparkly top with basic black slacks and the same sandals I wear around the pool deck. I wash clothing mid week and have the cruiseline launder my slacks. Most of the other gear you pack is identical for any length trip be it a single overnight or a month.

Best of all, when Traveling in Europe I can slog those smaller bags over cobblestones or don't mind moving from location to location. I can opt to check or carry on. If I have tight air connections I want carry on.

I don't buy lots of things - I consider my photos to be my suveneirs. And I can put charging supplies for my iPad, kindle, iPod, or whatever electronics I decide to bring, in my pockets. Always stuff my heavier small items in pockets so they don't count for weight on the airplane. I dump them into the carry-on after through security.

I am in awe of those who can manage for 12 days (or more) with so little but it isn't something I'll likely ever attempt. I like to have choices and changes and I accept that means checked luggage. I try to take less each time but no one has ever accused me of traveling light. :)

I managed quite well with only a carryon for a 14 night cruise to Alaska (think bulky outerwear) that included 4 formal nights. The saving grace was the self-service laundry on the ship. Just accept that you'll have to wear the same things multiple times.

Forgot to answer the rest of your question- my 21inch bag is an ebags mini 21 wheeledduffel

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-etech-mini-21-wheeled-duffel/68256?productid=837489&lastSearchTerm=ebags+mother+lode+etech+mini+21%22+wheeled+duffel

My personal item is either light weight baggilini bag or Rick Steve's Tote

If you want my packing list, email me herbanrenewal at live.com

i checked the size requirements of a couple of the airlines i use most and bought the largest carryon and personal item i could. the biggest problem i have is books.....may have to break down and buy a kindle. i also never leave home w/o my snorkel gear and a portable fan. on a cruise to alaska my luggage did not arrive until 11:30 pm. after that we decided if it doesn't fit in carryon we don't need it!!

Don't pack for 12 days pack for 6 or 7 days and repeat.

Clothes can be reworn.

Mix and match.

Limit shoes.

The only thing I would need 14 days for would be toothpaste and hair products.

Hi sr5242,

I use the Ful Double Time carry-on. It's got a zip-on backpack that I detach and count as my personal item. The carry-on goes in the overhead bin, the backpack under the seat. On a 9-day safari (+ 2 travel days) that included a few cocktail receptions and special dinners, my packing list was similar to Ducklite's. I brought the backpack along on excursions. I had room for souvenirs. I agree with SadieN that you should re-wear clothes instead of bringing different clothes for each day.

I'll be using this on a 14-day cruise that covers Canada in late October, then Bermuda. I pack lightweight clothes that are wrinkle-resistant and that I can layer. For dressy dinners, georgette/chiffon tops and silky black pants/skirts are great. Use silk/chiffon scarves to dress up plain tops for different looks. I roll the casual clothes when I pack them. Stuff shoes with socks and underwear.

41ICdpFiTNL._SX342_.jpg

I use a Baggalini bag as a cross body purse. It's got loads of pockets but small enough to stuff into the backpack even when it's full.

Baggallini%2Borganizer.jpg

I could do it, though I usually check a 26" bag. I have done a 9 day 'soft' adventure type tour with a carry-on and an 8-day cruise/land tour with 7 grandkids with the same. Besides the carry-on, my personal piece us a fairly large tote that still fits under the seat and a small purse.

The thing I have to limit most is shoes; I take one pair of dressier heels and one pair of comfy sandals. I wear the bulkier sneakers and jacket/sweater on the plane. I have quite a few light, non-wrinkly tops, pants and skirts that take up little space. Black pants and skirts, different scarves and jewelry to change things up. Even my formal outfits are very packable, but if taking only a carry-on, the formal wear is less formal and more just dressy.

As others said, don't try to pack separate outfits for 12 days; pack for 6-7 and wash somewhere inbetween. I don't mind doing hand wash and if the ship has self-service laundry, great. I also use the 'bag' specials when available.

I then bring smaller sizes of toiletries and sometimes buy some things in the embarkation port (usually large bottles of sunscreen, which we need).

It's doable and in some ways very freeing, especially if you have to do a lot of toting luggage around cities, trains, etc. But, if possible, I still prefer to bring more.

Yes, expect to mix and match, do a little laundry, maybe even pick up some clothes from the sales on the ship.

THe only thing we did check in was formal cloths and shoes.

Thanks!

My husband and I took carry ons for a 25 day B2B, plus a week in Paris and 2 days in Iceland. We checked them coming home because we bought a lot of souvenirs.

Here's a link to my blog for a photo of what I took, including my Rick Steves bag. FYI- I would take a bag with wheels on it if I had to do it again. I only had to carry it twice; I would have rolled it everywhere else.

We travel with carry ons all the time, even for our recent 28 day trip. We can get 6 or 7 days clothes packed. We cruise Princess often ......and we get free laundry as an Elite category perk. So we send our clothes out to be washed once a week.

I'm also amazed by the folks who can travel light -- and look great, doing it! :cool: Over the years, I've tried to streamline our packing process. For any cruise with two or more formal nights, DH rents a tux (including shoes) -- then he only has to pack country club casual clothes. And well, let's just say that I'm trying (I really am) :rolleyes:! I was very proud of myself when I managed to get by on a 15-niter to Hawaii with only 7 pairs of shoes. ;) And, yes, I wore every one of them -- AND the pair I bought in Lahaina ... :o

We can easily get by for a trip of any length if we each pack 3 pairs of shoes - sandals, comfortable daytime walking shoes, and one pair of dress shoes for evenings that can be worn with anything. The sandals can double as slippers.

Then the shoes worn for traveling give us each a fourth pair.

My question is "why would you want to"? Most airlines for International travel allow 2 bags of 50 lbs each. Or at least they did our last trip to Europe in 2008.

I have a 28" with a 19" carry-on that matches it, that I bought specifically for cruises.

Our last Med cruise (2008), I goofed when buying my airline tickets. After reading on CC about an overnight train from Paris to Rome, I thought that sounded so neat. I got a great deal on airfare from LAX (Los Angeles, CA) direct non-stop flight to Paris for $459 pp. Then had to wait awhile for the train ticket. When I went to purchase the train ticket, the timetable for the return from Venice didn't work, plus there was NO SMOKING on the train. So I had to hustle and find a flight from Paris-Rome-Venice-Paris. Thus making my flights INTERNATIONAL from LAX to Paris, but DOMESTIC from Paris to Rome. For the International flight we were allowed 2 bags of 50 lbs each, but for the Domestic portion only 1 bag of 44 lbs. We did manage, but it was tough. We were leaving things in the hotels along the way to make room for souvenirs we had bought (clothes as well as books).

So just make sure any connecting flights are all on one ticket, and the INTERNATIONAL rate will apply. We were gone from home for 21 days. Even with 44 lbs in checked bag and 11 lbs in carry-on, we still did laundry midway on the ship. I have no idea how anyone could do the trip from a carry-on. Nor do I want to. I'm on vacation, I don't want to be stressing about packing, doing laundry or wearing dirty clothes. JMHO.

Now a week to Hawaii or the Caribbean, yes, we did do that in a carry-on, much different clothing needs on that type of cruise. And from LAX to Hawaii was considered a Domestic flight, so didn't want to pay the $25 per bag for checked luggage.

You have to do what is comfortable and works FOR YOU!

Archived