Sometimes it pays to know a 2 Star Mariner !

localady

Just had an experience I thought I'd share with you all. My Sis, who is a 2 Star Mariner, called me yesterday and said that she received an announcement for a HAL Labor Day sale and told me the price.

When I went into the website and put my information in, the cruise was 25% more! :eek: I am a 4 Star Mariner.

I called my wonderful TA and she confirms that if my Sis and I book a cabin together that we are both entitled to the substantially lower fare. That was a no brainer, we booked it right there and then.

I am a bit shocked at this, but guess this is the way HAL chooses to run it's business.

Moral to this story: The best customers don't always get the best deals. :rolleyes:

Just had an experience I thought I'd share with you all. My Sis, who is a 2 Star Mariner, called me yesterday and said that she received an announcement for a HAL Labor Day sale and told me the price.

When I went into the website and put my information in, the cruise was 25% more! :eek: I am a 4 Star Mariner.

I called my wonderful TA and she confirms that if my Sis and I book a cabin together that we are both entitled to the substantially lower fare. That was a no brainer, we booked it right there and then.

I am a bit shocked at this, but guess this is the way HAL chooses to run it's business.

Moral to this story: The best customers don't always get the best deals. :rolleyes:

Where does your sister live? Sometimes pricing is based on different regions from what I recall reading:confused: if she is in the same area as you, it is sad that she would get a better deal than you did:eek:

Where does your sister live? Sometimes pricing is based on different regions from what I recall reading:confused: if she is in the same area as you, it is sad that she would get a better deal than you did:eek:

We both live in California, 100 miles from each other...

This offer was based on Mariner status not residency. As my sons, who are also 2 Star Mariners, used my email (they were 10 & 14) for cruises, I still receive these offers weekly for them. The prices are generally better than what I can book as a 4 Star.

We both live in California, 100 miles from each other...

This offer was based on Mariner status not residency. As my sons, who are also 2 Star Mariners, used my email (they were 10 & 14) for cruises, I still receive these offers weekly for them. The prices are generally better than what I can book as a 4 Star.

This is fairly common with HAL. Many times 1 & 2 Star Mariners will get better pricing than 4 Star Mariners. Sometimes people who have never sailed with HAL get even better prices. Price differences can be a little as $50-$100/person or upwards of $600 or more per person. Most times the prices are not based on residency but on Mariner status.

We're 3 star Mariners. Yesterday, I looked up our January cruise without putting in our information, and the price for the Labor Day sale is $150 less for each of us than I paid. I've emailed our TA and we'll see if she can get the price adjusted. I don't know how they can't honor the price since it's right there on the website in black and white!

This is not right: To charge existing customers more than new ones? Should be the other way around! :eek:

This is fairly common with HAL. Many times 1 & 2 Star Mariners will get better pricing than 4 Star Mariners. Sometimes people who have never sailed with HAL get even better prices. Price differences can be a little as $50-$100/person or upwards of $600 or more per person. Most times the prices are not based on residency but on Mariner status.

This was $300 pp difference based upon her Mariner status.

When I checked the price using my Mariner number, the price was what the website had advertised to anyone and was $300 more.

I've wondered if there isn't a pattern that new cruisers are offered upsells and upgrades more generously than higher day Mariners. They figure they have us 'hooked' and work on those who are newer to cruising. They are more apt to buy photos, book ship excursions, buy souvenirs on board etc

On board revenue is King.

They want newer cruisers as they likely spend more.......

but yes, I know there are exceptions. DH and I never manage to leave the ship with a small bill. :D :eek:

This was $300 pp difference based upon her Mariner status.

When I checked the price using my Mariner number, the price was what the website had advertised to anyone and was $300 more.

I think most of us have a 'strong reaction' to this.

In the 'old days' they could get away without many of us hearing about this sort of thing. What with the internet and message boards, they get 'found out' and we don't like it.

I've wondered if there isn't a pattern that new cruisers are offered upsells and upgrades more generously than higher day Mariners. They figure they have us 'hooked' and work on those who are newer to cruising. They are more apt to buy photos, book ship excursions, buy souvenirs on board etc

On board revenue is King.

They want newer cruisers as they likely spend more.......

but yes, I know there are exceptions. DH and I never manage to leave the ship with a small bill. :D :eek:

s7s - you're a prime example of what i posted in #3. you wouldn't dream of giving your business to another line.

s7s - you're a prime example of what i posted in #3. you wouldn't dream of giving your business to another line.

You're right. :)

We have no intention of saililng any line but HAL.

Clearly, that is where we are happiest and if we pay more, we knowingly make the choice to do so. We all make choices everyday in all facets of our lives.

In the 'old days' they could get away without many of us hearing about this sort of thing. What with the internet and message boards, they get 'found out' and we don't like it.

I really thought about this before I posted it, but I am just reporting fact. In the end, I felt it was a practice that I was surprised by and should be shared.

(I will probably be relegated to the poop deck my next couple of cruises........ ;) :eek:)

I really thought about this before I posted it, but I am just reporting fact. In the end, I felt it was a practice that I was surprised by and should be shared.

(I will probably be relegated to the poop deck my next couple of cruises........ ;) :eek:)

I absolutely would have done exactly as you did if it happened to me and I had the facts. There is nothing wrong with sharing what they are doing. I am sure they are not the only company, let alone cruise company, and if they are embarrassed about it or don't want it known, they shouldn't do it.

IMO

some companies don't value loyalty. they take you (the very loyal customer) for granted. they see no reason to offer incentives, since there is nothing to gain. they spend their dollars to get new customers.

Penny wise - pound foolish - any company worth it's grain of salt knows that it costs more money to get a new customer than to keep an existing customer:eek:

Really sad if HAl is offering better deals to less experienced cruisers - pretty sure my on board account is hefty enough to keep them happy and we are 4*.

Somebody in their marketing department really needs to wake up and smell the roses - or the thorns could hurt when some of us head elsewhere for better deals that could have been ours anyways if they had been fair.

Loyalty only goes so far - if your business isn't valued - then you look:D at least a lot of people do;) Love HAL, but don't take me for granted:eek:

We're 3 star Mariners. Yesterday, I looked up our January cruise without putting in our information, and the price for the Labor Day sale is $150 less for each of us than I paid. I've emailed our TA and we'll see if she can get the price adjusted. I don't know how they can't honor the price since it's right there on the website in black and white!

This is not right: To charge existing customers more than new ones? Should be the other way around! :eek:

Sheila

I hope that you can get the cheaper price for your cruise.

Let us know what happens.

I so agree with you. It stinks!!! :(

We stopped giving Holland America the numbers and never list them. We rotate Addresses so they can not track our zip-code.;)

Thus to Holland every cruise is our first... and thats just working out fine on our last 28 day we got 4 free invitations to dine in pinnacles and Tamarand, we got a cruise fare $600 under the posted and were just happy as clams not to get invited to an "exclucive" mariner fluff. All as first time cruisers, ( on our 5th)

The cruise before again a 14 day, we got a free up-grade ( read no charge up-grade) from an inside to a Veranda. I assume to entice us to better and more expensive diggs. Again as a no-star

On my next cruise a 43 day one, Holland is happy to have me as a first time cruiser... or so they think. I am just happy as a clam too. Lets see what they do to get me to take more cruises......:D

Sheila

I hope that you can get the cheaper price for your cruise.

Let us know what happens.

KK, you fairky recently mentioned potentially trying another line. Have you thought more about that or chosen one yet? Just curious, we are eyeing Azamara ourselves (tried Celebrity but it sent our cup of tea, RCCL in general is just not for us).

We stopped giving Holland America the numbers and never list them. We rotate Addresses so they can not track our zip-code.;)

Thus to Holland every cruise is our first... and thats just working out fine on our last 28 day we got 4 free invitations to dine in pinnacles and Tamarand, we got a cruise fare $600 under the posted and were just happy as clams not to get invited to an "exclucive" mariner fluff. All as first time cruisers, ( on our 5th)

The cruise before again a 14 day, we got a free up-grade ( read no charge up-grade) from an inside to a Veranda. I assume to entice us to better and more expensive diggs. Again as a no-star

On my next cruise a 43 day one, Holland is happy to have me as a first time cruiser... or so they think. I am just happy as a clam too. Lets see what they do to get me to take more cruises......:D

You do all this to save a few dollars???? :eek:

That is truly over the top IMHO!! :rolleyes:

some companies don't value loyalty. they take you (the very loyal customer) for granted. they see no reason to offer incentives, since there is nothing to gain. they spend their dollars to get new customers.
Exactly. It is a marketing technique, similar to the way that cruise lines will give great upgrades to new passengers to impress them.

We often hear the stories about how the long time faithful passenger did not receive an upgrade or received only a minor upgrade, but his brother-in-law who was on his first cruise got upgraded to a wonderful suite.

They know very well that they already have us hooked and that we will be back again. ;)

Our cable company does the same thing, always offering much better rates to new customers than what they charge the rest of us who have been using their services for a long time.

Banks and credit card companies do it too, offering great deals to new customers for which their existing customers are not eligible.

Not necessarily.

I am a 2 star mariner and I am the one that organizes, researches and books the cruise for my sister and my friend and their husbands. Last year we went on the Westerdam-everyone had a great time and I suggested the 10 day Noordam for this December. Back in July when I started to check out the cruises, I found to my surprise that as star mariners and 1 star mariners, they got a far better price than I did as a 2 star mariner. The discounts got far bigger too as I searched Superior Veranda and Deluxe suites. Considering that the perks for 2 star Mariners are minimal, I was not pleased.

I did get the discount because I was travelling with them but what really ticks me off is the only reason they were going was because Iwas cheerleading for HAL.

You're right about HAL not having to worry much about this back in the day with little Internet access but I hope they are listening in to these messages Boards. We are their Cheerleaders and bring in a lot of new business because of our testimonials- probably far more than their discounted price offerings to infrequent cruisers.

As someone else said, it would cost less to keep their raving fans happy to go out there recruiting for them than to annoy them by offering discounts to people who may just be looking for the cheapest price and will go wherever that is.

JMO

CJ

Archived