Camera lens fogging up in humidity

After having my camera and camcorder in my air conditioned cabin, the lens will fog up when I take it outside on the balcony due to the warm, humid air in the Caribbean. I have learned to keep the camera wrapped in a towel inside the cabin and this helps somewhat since the camera body and lens does not quite get as cold before exposing it to the heat/humidity. Does anyone have any other tips/tricks/hints on how to keep the camera stored inside the cabin so it will not fog up outside?

I typically keep my camera in the fridge.. The extra cold air keeps the lens at the perfect temp so when I go out on the balcony the warm air meets the extra chilled lens and the warm air molecules don't attract onto the camera then.. It works like a charm! ;)

Kidding aside, no, I just have always Waited for the camera to unfog.

I have been known to keep my camera in its case and leave it on the balcony when I know I am going to be using it outdoors. I only do this while we are in our cabin and not when we leave or if weather looks like it may rain.

Otherwise, I just wait for the fog to go away... frustrating, but not much else to do really.

I have not had the chance to try this since I found out about it... put some of the desiccant packages along with the camera in a ziplock baggie. The other thing I do is take the camera to a rest room and place it under the heated hand dryer for about five minutes, turning it while it is blowing. It works better if you do it before you take it outside and it fogs up. The other suggestion would be to turn the air co up in the cabin...... eh, never mind, I like as cold as possible;)! It's almost cold enough when you can see your breathe:).

It's unfortunately basic physics. The best thing to do is place it on the balcony a couple of hours before you know you are going to use it outside and let it warm up. We used to spit in dive masks or use dishwashing liquid on them but I always figured that might not be too good for cameras.

I had read somewhere to use the little silica bags that come packaged with products to keep the humidity out. Tried it in my camera bag last time & it seemed to help.

Doesn't work. The humidity comes from the outside air and is deposited on the lens due to the temperature differential. The silica bags only trap the moisture from the air in the case. Not a bad idea for storing the camera but useless when it comes time to use it.

. . . We used to spit in dive masks. . .

Done that, but I agree it might not be a good idea for getting clearly focused photographs. On the other hand aren't there some anti-fog products made for cameras? No idea how well they work.

Yes simple physics, the key here is to keep any solid objects above the dewpoint. This is the temperature where dew will form and if an object is brought into an environment significantly below the dewpoint it will fog up instantly! Keeping your gear dry or in a bag with a dessicant such as silica gel does nothing to keep it from fogging up (both external surfaces and internal lens elements) if it's cold and brought outside in muggy weather. The trick we use with any camera is to use a hair dryer. The ship supplied drier is perfect. Keep it moving around, you want the entire camera warmed not just the surface lens. Be sure not to overheat parts, especially the battery! Don't wait until you need the camera! A few minutes before you want to venture out just warm it up gently with the dryer. Takes a minute or two and you will never have to worry about fogging again! Cheers, Norman

I had read somewhere to use the little silica bags that come packaged with products to keep the humidity out. Tried it in my camera bag last time & it seemed to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Oh my gosh, we found this trick in our newspaper section HINTS TO HELOISE. Now when shoe shopping and trying them on, we keep the packet in the shoe box. Usually end up with 3-5, and put in camera bag....works like a charm.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

I keep my camera in a padded camera bag as far away from the air conditioner as possible (like in a closet). And if I won't have a chance to let the camera warm up naturally outside, I warm it up with a hair dryer on a low setting. I learned the hair dryer trick on the Photography discussion forum and it works.

Norman covered it in post #12

If you don't want the camera to fog, you must keep the camera above the dew point.

Think of your beer can. When you get it out of the fridge water condenses out of the air and the beer can sweats.

No amount of silica gel is going to change anything. It’s all about the dew point and nothing more.

Yes simple physics, the key here is to keep any solid objects above the dewpoint. This is the temperature where dew will form and if an object is brought into an environment significantly below the dewpoint it will fog up instantly! Keeping your gear dry or in a bag with a dessicant such as silica gel does nothing to keep it from fogging up (both external surfaces and internal lens elements) if it's cold and brought outside in muggy weather. The trick we use with any camera is to use a hair dryer. The ship supplied drier is perfect. Keep it moving around, you want the entire camera warmed not just the surface lens. Be sure not to overheat parts, especially the battery! Don't wait until you need the camera! A few minutes before you want to venture out just warm it up gently with the dryer. Takes a minute or two and you will never have to worry about fogging again! Cheers, Norman

That is awesome thanks for the advise.

You'd think that a "professional" photographer would realize that a camera kept inside a ship with cold a/c that is then brought outdoors to take pictures on the flowrider would suffer from condensation on the lens, right? He's take steps to warm the camera and lens up before venturing out to take action shots of guests, right? Wrong...there was the ship's photog sitting, waiting for the fog to clear off his camera lens, all the while guests are boogie boarding (or surfing depending on the day) and great shots are being missed because he didn't make sure he warmed up his camera before walking outside in the heat and humidity.

Lucky for me, it cleared just before my kids' turn LOL!!!

breath on the lens a few times and wipe it down. the heat helps warm it up

I do this and wipe with the end of the bathrobe sash, or just wait. :D

For my husband's 60th BD party, someone else had my camera and took photos for us. About half way through the evening, she said "all the shots seem to be blurry." Well, I checked the camera and discovered humidity on the lens. The best photos were ruined. :( Not sure why she didn't say anything earlier.

At our AI vacation this summer, I learned to put the camera out on the balcony an hour or so before I wanted to use it. This way it acclimated to the outside temperature before leaving the room. Yes, I got burned by lens fog before figuring this out.

Another thought... would it work to have the camera in the bathroom (assuming waterproof) when you're getting ready? Thinking the heat & humidity from the shower would help acclimate it. But maybe that won't be long enough.

Thanks for the info Norman. I will be on Brilliance of the Seas this Nov in the Caribbean so I will give it a try.

Archived