Charged for excursion that was canceled

PennyB

We just got back from a FABULOUS land tour and cruise in Alaska. We pre-booked a Summit McKinley Flight tour from Princess leaving the Denali Princess Lodge. It was a cloudy and windy day. We were met at the lobby by the tour rep and she said that the mountain was too cloudy to fly and the excursion was canceled. I get my credit card bill and see that I am still being charged for it! I called Princess and they said they don't see that the excursion was canceled and would have to get back to me. Has anyone else ever had to 'fight' this battle?

We always check our on board account a few times during the cruise and before we leave the ship, just in case we have been charged for something that we didn't have (this has included laundry and bar drinks). Its so much easier to sort it out whilst on the ship.

Hope you get it sorted and get your refund soon.

It's important to note that the tour itself is not operated by Princess, just sold by Princess. It's possible the tour operator had not informed them of the cancellation in a timely manner. It should straighten out but it may take a little extra time because of the extra party involved.

Too late now, but it is always best to clear up those types of problems while still on the ship.

You will work it out eventually.

This excursion was on land. I asked while on the ship to check it out and they said there is no way to check land that I would have to check when I got back (which I did check my credit card on line).

If this should happen in the future to somebody else I would ask the tour operator to give me something on the tour operators letter head that the excursion was cancelled. I would then take that on return to the ship tot he excursion desk and let them know. This way the excursion desk could do a check before departure to verify that the excursion was cancelled.

I agree with Pam. If Princess can't help you, contact the credit card company and dispute the charge. They are equipped to handle these sorts of situations and will credit your account for the amount of the charge while they investigate.

Was it a separate bill on your cc or was it the bill from Princess that included the excursion? If it was your ship account then you couldnt cancel the bill on your card unless you cancelled all of the princess

Optional land excursions on the tour part of a cruisetour are charged seperately and the shipboard people have absolutlely no knowledge of these charges.

Best thing to do while waiting for Princess to resolve this is notify the charge card company that the item was never delivered and to reverse the charge for that tour.

Immediately file a report with your credit card company contesting the charge that includes the flight. This will keep it off your statement until it is resolved. Once resoved it any amount you still owe will be put on your statement and payable as normal. While it is being contested they cannot charge you interest or demand payment.

Any tours I booked on Princess have always appeared on my cruise account

Are you talking only about the tours you went to from the ship or are you including optional tours that were on the tour part of a cruisetour, for example five days on a Princess land tour in Europe before first boarding the Princess ship?

The OP is talking about a tour that was NOT taken from the ship while on the cruise itself.

The OP is talking about a tour that was NOT taken from the ship while on the cruise itself.
Right. The OP had booked a tour leaving from the Princess Denali Lodge. These tours are charged to your credit card, not your onboard account since you aren't onboard and don't have an onboard account. :)

We just got back from a FABULOUS land tour and cruise in Alaska. We pre-booked a Summit McKinley Flight tour from Princess leaving the Denali Princess Lodge. It was a cloudy and windy day. We were met at the lobby by the tour rep and she said that the mountain was too cloudy to fly and the excursion was canceled. I get my credit card bill and see that I am still being charged for it! I called Princess and they said they don't see that the excursion was canceled and would have to get back to me. Has anyone else ever had to 'fight' this battle?

Does your cedit card bill state that the charge is from Princess or the tour operator?

Does your cedit card bill state that the charge is from Princess or the tour operator?

I can't answer for the OP, but our Princess booked excursions while on the land tour in Alaska were listed as "Princess Cruises Passage Valencia, CA". The charge was posted before the start of the cruise itself.

Our seperate charge from the ship at the end of the cruise was listed as "Island Princess Santa Clarita CA"

I can't answer for the OP, but our Princess booked excursions while on the land tour in Alaska were listed as "Princess Cruises Passage Valencia, CA". The charge was posted before the start of the cruise itself.

Our seperate charge from the ship at the end of the cruise was listed as "Island Princess Santa Clarita CA"

So the land tours show on the ship's folio. That should simplify corrections while still on board.

I don't think Caribill was saying that the land tours showed on the shipboard account, but were charged directly to his credit card in the way he described. I don't think anyone has stated that pre-cruise land tour expenses appear on the onboard spending statement. I don't think the OP knew about this charge while on the ship, and therefore couldn't resolved it while on the ship.

I would have the credit card company reverse the charge and do an investigation before paying for the charge.

I would concur with Pam's suggestion. Protect your rights and ensure a proper investigation by challenging the charge to your credit card account.

Lew

I don't think Caribill was saying that the land tours showed on the shipboard account, but were charged directly to his credit card in the way he described. I don't think anyone has stated that pre-cruise land tour expenses appear on the onboard spending statement. I don't think the OP knew about this charge while on the ship, and therefore couldn't resolved it while on the ship.

Correct, the question I was answering was:

Originally Posted by Stevesan

Thanks for all your replies. Waiting to hear back from Princess. I will post the outcome.

After several calls from a FABULOUS Princess rep, Lauren, they realized the error and I have a credit coming on my credit card.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS get proof of a canceled excursion. I know it was an honest mistake on Princess' part, but it pays to be proactive.

Thanks for all your input. I LOVE this board !

After several calls from a FABULOUS Princess rep, Lauren, they realized the error and I have a credit coming on my credit card.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS get proof of a canceled excursion. I know it was an honest mistake on Princess' part, but it pays to be proactive.

Thanks for all your input. I LOVE this board !

Thanks for letting us know! Congrats.

Archived