Does Holland America Care?

wallyboag

Call HAL in Seatle and ask to speak to the Ship's Coordinator. Just have a nice chat with them, asking for nothing more than to be heard..if that is all you are asking. They will take it very seriously and profesionally. Getting them to do something for you could be very difficult.

I remember your thread, it was about the lines for food/found strawberry/laundry bag and such right? Lemme look for it... I found it, was as I 'membered

Honestly, rereading your original post what are you expecting from HAL? I'm no cheerleader for HAL or anything, other than Ibanez guitars are they are the best guitars to shred on, but what do you want from HAL?

A "you're right"?

An "apology"?

Foozled by what your expectations were/are and what will assuage what has bothered you so to this date and two threads. :confused:

Derek

Admission of guilt and instituting a policy to train employees to fix problems immediately and apologize instead of trying to pretend nothing is wrong and ignoring guests' needs.

Yes, this attitude is what caused me to cancel a grand voyage for next year. After some unpleasant experiences in 2012 (not my first cruise with HAL by a long shot), I asked for some acknowledgement that the issues were one-off's and some assurance that these issues were not the new normal before putting any more money into another (already booked) cruise. I specifically stated that I did not want compensation, but rather reassurance.

All I ever got from either on-board staff or corporate was stone wall "Didn't Happen." ...We're sorry you perceived it that way.... Nobody else has complained (I had copies of other complaints.) Now that kind of response is offensive to me! A simple "Yes, we regret we've had to cut some costs" response would probably have kept me around. As it was, I voted with my feet. Sad.

What's the desired response from corporate?

For me, it's a direct acknowledgement of the issue, and some explanation of why it happened and what they have done to rectify it. It's definitely not a bottle of wine on the next cruise and "sorry the cruise was not satisfactory" without any reference to the problem.

Yes, this attitude is what caused me to cancel a grand voyage for next year. After some unpleasant experiences in 2012 (not my first cruise with HAL by a long shot), I asked for some acknowledgement that the issues were one-off's and some assurance that these issues were not the new normal before putting any more money into another (already booked) cruise. I specifically stated that I did not want compensation, but rather reassurance.

All I ever got from either on-board staff or corporate was stone wall "Didn't Happen." ...We're sorry you perceived it that way.... Nobody else has complained (I had copies of other complaints.) Now that kind of response is offensive to me! A simple "Yes, we regret we've had to cut some costs" response would probably have kept me around. As it was, I voted with my feet. Sad.

Any of my onboard issues have normally been dealt with well. The biggest exception was a shore excursion (VERY expensive) which was awful. When I complained to the shore excursion desk - I got the 'you're the only one who had a problem". I knew others had complained from our roll call so a few of us went down together - cornered (no - we didn't hover around them), they then told us that we were too knowledgeable/experienced or some word like that and that it was OUR fault we didn't like the tour! All they had to do was say they were sorry - even offer a refund of a very small portion and I would have been happy.

So now I shy away from HAL tours - because of one stupid Shore excursion person who was rude, uncaring and had NO empathy. Didn't stop me from sailing HAL but it certainly makes me look at private tours even more than I did before:)

it just seems so hard to believe (Guess I'm a cynic) that people writing with complaints "Aren't Looking For Anything"

If one isn't looking for anything,why worry about response time?

Some just want an apology, not a monetary reward, and say"Not looking for anything".

I still don't get it so I guess you have more brain function then I do today.

Here's the comment:

Shotty Service ????????

Wrong vowel - or wrong consonants?

I don't think they were really aiming it as a "call out on spelling" but more of word play humour.

Try changing the vowel in "Shotty"

Here's the comment:

I don't think they were really aiming it as a "call out on spelling" but more of word play humour.

:D Exactly the second I read the post I started laughing. Yes just move up one vowel in the alphabet ;) Actually a good way of typing it without getting it looking like this ******

OK I have not posted much lately because frankly I have been quite busy and will only come in on a post that I can help explain things but I do remember the OP's first post.

Maybe I look at things a bit differently but let me just post a few observations. First there is always the comment about not being up to the expectations of a "Premium" cruise Line. I think that word really confuses a lot of people and they want to classify HAL as a Luxury Line. Luxury and Premium are not the same thing. I think people read that word and expect 6 Star Everything. There is a big step between Luxury and Premium the first is $$$$ when you are willing to step up to the plate and pay the big bucks then yes you should get it "Your Way" Premium is simply some nice additional features that may not or are usually not included in the regular Mass Market Line such as slightly larger cabins, full bathrooms with bath tubs in most cabins, the Elemis Bath Products, a bathrobe even in the Interior cabins, the extremely wonderful beds and bedding. A step up in quality of food. All these things are what makes up the word "Premium" and that is in comparing to Carnival, Royal Caribbean and the lower Class cabins of Norwegian.

I agree with the comment that any letter complaint or positive must be simple and to the point and possibly give a quick example. And most of all be realistic.

Early this summer I received a complaint letter from a client that went to Alaska, this email was honestly the first time I never responded, this person went on an excursion to Salmon fish, he and partner were the only ones on the boat that did not catch a fish and he wanted assistance in getting his money back for the shore excursion. :eek:

I honestly think before we complain we need to take a hard look at what is really upsetting us. Is our complaint realistic, is it something that is really the fault of one person and or incident on the ship? I agree there have been many occaisions with some of the HAL ships in the past 6 months with legitimate problems and I think HAL is constantly trying to address these issues, sometimes like all businesses things are out of their control and or it is not an easy fix.

I know I get accused of being a HAL Cheerleader but I am sympathetic to legitimate complaints and those do need to be resolved in a timely manner of which if this is brought to the attention of the Crew and Officers on the ship 99% of the time these issues are resolved.

Lastly HAL reads these boards, and trust me they have figured out who many of us regulars are. Either by our avatar pics, handle name, or simply the ship and the sail date and stating the type of cabin we always stay in. Biggest way to hurt ourselves is to Bite the Hand that feeds us so to speak and in this case if you have sailed HAL before and complained then they give you something extra and try to take care of you and you still come back on here and complain about HAL....guess what, after a while HAL is going to no longer try to help you because frankly you will still stab them in the back again.

In the end HAL is Big Business that is all about the bottom line and profits, if we take a hard look at ALL businesses today everyone has eliminated personal and expects more done by one person when it really should be done by 2 or 3. Trust me some of the minor complaints we complaining about here are also being stated on Regent, Crystal and land based 5 Star Resorts. We say if we are not happy we should vote with our money and go to someone else but chances are you will find a whole new group of different problems or even maybe some of the same.

Here's the comment:

Ok, now I get it....but still don't find it funny. Maybe because I don't find that poster amusing.

Do these lines even make any money? Between passengers wanting the lowest fare (even after final payment) toting their own beverages,wine,soda,water.

Then complaining about everything under the sun (toilets and no a/c are legitimate gripes)

I heard noises in my cabin

my soda card wasn't in my room when I boarded.

The windows were dirty in the Lido

I couldn't serve myself the first two days.

I didn't like the entertainment

my dinner took too long.

I could literally type these complaints and whines for the next week,but don't have the time. I sit here in amazement that the ship actually makes any money with everyone wanting obc a free dinner, free wine,free strawberries,free massage,

who knows? Maybe making the ships into artificial reefs might be a better idea

As stated before, I worked Customer Service/Quality Improvement for many years. My habit is to ALWAYS write a letter to Corporate saying what I liked, didn't like and offering suggestions for improvement. Thirty years ago, you could expect a reply because there were people who had this function as their job. This job function was the first eliminated in my company when corporate downsizing became the norm 25 years ago. Of three letters written to HAL after a cruise, only the first one received a response. Of five letters written to three other cruise lines, only one received a response. Of countless letters written to other service providers, the response rate has been less that 5%. Why do I continue to write letters? I found that it was the "little thing" that would frequently give my company a customer for life. I would try to do that little thing. I still do. Maybe my letter will be read by someone who thinks like I do. Of course, my co-workers always called me delusional.

Maybe I look at things a bit differently but let me just post a few observations. First there is always the comment about not being up to the expectations of a "Premium" cruise Line. I think that word really confuses a lot of people and they want to classify HAL as a Luxury Line. Luxury and Premium are not the same thing. I think people read that word and expect 6 Star Everything. There is a big step between Luxury and Premium the first is $$$$ when you are willing to step up to the plate and pay the big bucks then yes you should get it "Your Way" Premium is simply some nice additional features that may not or are usually not included in the regular Mass Market Line such as slightly larger cabins, full bathrooms with bath tubs in most cabins, the Elemis Bath Products, a bathrobe even in the Interior cabins, the extremely wonderful beds and bedding. A step up in quality of food. All these things are what makes up the word "Premium" and that is in comparing to Carnival, Royal Caribbean and the lower Class cabins of Norwegian.

I agree with the comment that any letter complaint or positive must be simple and to the point and possibly give a quick example. And most of all be realistic.

For the most part, my complaints weren't about things that were or weren't included in the fare. It was about extras that we paid for separately that were messed up, and no apology was offered. For instance, we paid extra for the laundry service but weren't given the basket to put the laundry in until we requested it twice. Because of this we missed out on two days of prepaid laundry that we paid for. A drink that we paid extra for was made incorrectly, and when we requested it be fixed, it was left on our table in front of us for at least ten-fifteen minutes while the server checked to see if it was OK to replace it. Interesting you should point out the robes, because those were among many things that were missing in our cabin, with no apology for their absence. It wasn't about hey, I had to pay extra for these things that weren't included, it was about the fact that things that we paid for weren't delivered, and when they weren't nobody seemed to care. It was about how Holland America sells itself as a line that prides itself on "excellence" in service, but we did not experience that at all. It was about how we paid full price for this cruise, no discounts, only a tiny onboard credit applied when we booked. We could have paid much less for other lines and gotten much better service!

I honestly think before we complain we need to take a hard look at what is really upsetting us. Is our complaint realistic, is it something that is really the fault of one person and or incident on the ship? I agree there have been many occaisions with some of the HAL ships in the past 6 months with legitimate problems and I think HAL is constantly trying to address these issues, sometimes like all businesses things are out of their control and or it is not an easy fix.

Since there were many incidences of lack of service recovery, it was apparent to us that this wasn't just an individual lack of effort by one member of the crew, but rather a systemic issue. Holland America has no service recovery procedure. That is a problem. Service recovery turns problems into future customers. Lack of it turns first time customers into one time customers.

Here's the comment:

I was certainly amused by the word play and I don't think the poster meant to be unkind. If I had detected malice I would not have made light of his post.

For the most part, my complaints weren't about things that were or weren't included in the fare. It was about extras that we paid for separately that were messed up, and no apology was offered. For instance, we paid extra for the laundry service but weren't given the basket to put the laundry in until we requested it twice. Because of this we missed out on two days of prepaid laundry that we paid for.

I am not going to get into a argument here but just your first complaint above. How do you feel you missed out on two days of laundry. Did the clothes not get laundered at all:confused: I am guessing the clothes you wanted laundered were done and brought back to you and the same amount of clothes you would have had laudered were cleaned if you sent dirty clothes out the first day. So just not sure how you figured you lost two days, it is not like you lost two days of meals and did not eat or you did not have towels for two days. Granted you were not able to send out immediately but I do not see how this could be a problem, unless you did not pack but one extra day of clothes for the whole trip :eek: Then I can see where that would be a problem. Then of course the basket bit confused me and may have confused HAL.It was my understanding that the basket is to place shoes in to be shined and the "Blue Laundry Bag" is to place laudry that need to be cleaned of which case you roll up as much as you can and place in the bag. Stating you needed the basket may have totally confused your Cabin Steward.

Do these lines even make any money? Between passengers wanting the lowest fare (even after final payment) toting their own beverages,wine,soda,water.

Then complaining about everything under the sun (toilets and no a/c are legitimate gripes)

I heard noises in my cabin

my soda card wasn't in my room when I boarded.

The windows were dirty in the Lido

I couldn't serve myself the first two days.

I didn't like the entertainment

my dinner took too long.

I could literally type these complaints and whines for the next week,but don't have the time. I sit here in amazement that the ship actually makes any money with everyone wanting obc a free dinner, free wine,free strawberries,free massage,

who knows? Maybe making the ships into artificial reefs might be a better idea

Personally unless there was some major lack of product delivery I don't expect freebies or obcs. But I do think in a competitive market, service is a vital component. When we cruised on HAL we had already cruised many of the other mass market lines including Princess, Carnival, NCL, Disney and RCI. So I did have some basis of comparison where service is concerned. I was led to believe that somehow HAL was step up in service and the reality for our cruise on the Amsterdam is that overall I would rate it the worst overall service we have ever experienced on any of our cruises from the dining rooms, housekeeping, beverage service, room service and general guest services. And it wasn't that the staff was not pleasant, but they were clearly overwhelmed and unable to keep up which resulted in long waits and lots of little mistakes and oversites. This has not been our experience so consistently on any other cruiseline. So it makes it unlikely we will cruise with HAL again and we are exactly the type of people they should be pursuing - people who cruise multiple times per year and are young enough that we have a long cruising future ahead of us. We could have represented great repeat business for them. Thank goodness the itinerary was so amazing because that saved the vacation for us!

Well, if service on HAL was really that awful, the worst of the other lines you cruised on, rather than stew about not getting a reply to your letter, why not just cross HAL off your list and go back to one of the other lines where you perceive service to be better?

I am not going to get into a argument here but just your first complaint above. How do you feel you missed out on two days of laundry. Did the clothes not get laundered at all:confused: I am guessing the clothes you wanted laundered were done and brought back to you and the same amount of clothes you would have had laudered were cleaned if you sent dirty clothes out the first day. So just not sure how you figured you lost two days, it is not like you lost two days of meals and did not eat or you did not have towels for two days. Granted you were not able to send out immediately but I do not see how this could be a problem, unless you did not pack but one extra day of clothes for the whole trip :eek: Then I can see where that would be a problem. Then of course the basket bit confused me and may have confused HAL.It was my understanding that the basket is to place shoes in to be shined and the "Blue Laundry Bag" is to place laudry that need to be cleaned of which case you roll up as much as you can and place in the bag. Stating you needed the basket may have totally confused your Cabin Steward.

I can't speak for the OP, but much of what he described mirrored our own difficulties in trying to use the unlimited laundry package we purchased the first day. We repeatedly had to request the laundry bag and form. Even when our clean laundry was returned, we never received a fresh bag and order form with it. We always had to call and request it, sometimes multiple times. And on two separate deliveries we received clothing items that did not belong to us. I reported it immediately so someone could retrieve them for the rightful owner, but it took multiple calls. In fact, the last time was the day prior to disembarkation and I called a total of four times to let it be known that we had a shirt that didn't belong to us. I even left it on our bed with a note the night prior to disembarkation and it lay exactly where I left it when we returned to our cabin that evening. I finally had to personally deliver it to guest services and I'm just guessing it probably never did get back to its owner. So, while I think the unlimited laundry package is a great program and a big plus for HAL, it was definitely a bit flawed in implementation in our experience so I find the OPs complaints very plausible.

Well, if service on HAL was really that awful, the worst of the other lines you cruised on, rather than stew about not getting a reply to your letter, why not just cross HAL off your list and go back to one of the other lines where you perceive service to be better?

If that was directed at me you might note that I didn't write a letter and don't intend to. I shared my concerns on our survey and comments at the end of the cruise and don't expect anything from HAL. And if you note on my signature I do in fact have two upcoming cruises scheduled with other lines. My point is that I understand the OP's disappointment and my other point is that HAL missed an opportunity to capture us as repeat cruisers due to the disappointing service we experienced. It appears from comments here that HAL has cut back in staffing and I could see the strain and burden on the crew. It was apparent and it showed in the service which I firmly believe was not the fault of the crew. It doesn't make me eager to cruise HAL again though which is too bad because I was really excited about having another cruising option to enjoy.

I am not going to get into a argument here but just your first complaint above. How do you feel you missed out on two days of laundry.

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all either. Really just trying to prove my point... Here was the issue with the laundry:

We had pre-paid for the laundry plan so we could pack less clothes. We were staying in Seattle for two days prior to the cruise. Our intentions were to have our first three sets of clothes washed once we were on the boat, so we packed accordingly. When we checked into our room, there was no laundry bag, so I called the front desk and asked for one. They said they would have one sent up right away. After dinner, there was still no laundy bag. The next day I called again, and again they said they would send one up right away. It didn't come until after the cut-off time for laundry so our clothes were not picked up until the third day of the cruise. Because of this we had to wear dirty clothes into Juneau. No apology was made for the delay in receiving the bag. No partial credit for the days of laundry we missed that we pre-paid for.

On top of that, when we did get our laundy bag, the first day they did the laundry the charged us for it on our room account despite it being pre-paid. This was fixed at the front desk along with me mentioning that we missed out on two days of laundry and had to wear dirty clothes... still no apology.

Archived