Does Holland America Care?

wallyboag

I finally got a response from Holland America. I don't know if it was because of this thread or if they finally just got around to answering.

I hoped that what I was doing was pointing out ways for Holland to improve their customer service and to meet expectations. To show them that they should enable their crew to fix problems right away instead of ignoring them.

People asked "What did I expect to hear back?" What I expected was to hear that my experience wasn't normal and that they didn't want anyone to be treated the way we were treated. What I wanted to hear was that they would do everything they could to improve their service in the future.

What I got was a "we're sorry" and an extremely large on board ship credit that I don't plan to use. Seriously, Holland America... it's not about price, it's not about savings. It's about good service, and no discount on a future cruise is going to make me come back to you if you don't even try to promise me that what happened before won't happen again.

Seriously. They didn't even apologize. They just said they "regret that I was disappointed." No admission of guilt, no promise to get better... just awful. I guess I'm done with them.

What I got was a "we're sorry" and an extremely large on board ship credit that I don't plan to use. Seriously, Holland America... it's not about price, it's not about savings. It's about good service, and no discount on a future cruise is going to make me come back to you if you don't even try to promise me that what happened before won't happen again.

Seriously. They didn't even apologize. They just said they "regret that I was disappointed." No admission of guilt, no promise to get better... just awful. I guess I'm done with them.

Wallboag, I'm a bit confused. Doesn't a "we're sorry" and a "regret that I was disappointed" constitute an apology? When I worked Customer Service, this is the response that we would give a customer. The fact that HAL issued a ship board credit indicates how really sorry they are and they hope you will give them another try. You sound like you want to see a Corrective Action Plan. I agree that it sounds like it is needed for the moldy strawberry, etc. that you mentioned in your original thread, but these take time to develop and would not be shared outside the corporation for numerous proprietary reasons. (At least this is the way we did things in my workplace.)

Here is exactly what they sent:

Thank you for the email to the Guest Relations Department regarding your July 21, 2012 ms Westerdam sailing. We realize that we came up short in meeting your expectations and our goal of demonstrating our dedication to a “Signature of Excellence.”

Holland America Line would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge your status as Mariners and thank you for your patronage. Mariners are the heart of our business and the reason we continue sailing. Mariner communications are taken very seriously and we respect the experience you have acquired through numerous cruises.

In regard to your plethora of grievances, please accept our most sincere apologies. Memories of moldy fruit, your brother’s balcony door issue, an unacceptable drink not being replaced and disappointment regarding the dining offerings are not what we intend our valued guests to carry home with them. We understand that your trip was much anticipated and we truly regret your holiday did not live up to your high expectations and that you do not feel like the staff was concerned about these shortcomings and correcting them.

Holland America Line endeavors to make your cruise experience as perfect as possible and we regret that this was not your impression. We hope to welcome you aboard again so we may have another chance to win your favor by serving you excellently.

As a gesture of our sincere apologies, we would like to extend Future Cruise Credits to you in the amount of $500.00 total ($250.00 per person) in an effort to show our concern for your experience. The value of these credits may be applied to the cruise fare only of a new cruise or cruisetour reservation with Holland America Line, and they are combinable with any other applicable credit. While the credits are valid for one year, please note that they need only to be applied to the new booking by September 18, 2013; your cruise does not need to depart within this year’s time. Although you may choose any stateroom category, this offer is dependent upon space availability and cannot be transferred, refunded, or used as a deposit. These credits may not be used for onboard expenses, pre- and post-cruise packages, shore excursions, taxes, Hotel Service Charges, Cancellation Protection Plans, Home City Air, or other optional programs or services. We only ask that you or your travel professional verify this special offer with a Reservation Agent at the time your new reservation is placed. For your convenience, these credits are built in association with your Mariner numbers, so they will automatically be credited toward your cruise fare.

Thank you once more for contacting our office and bringing your issues to our attention. Mariners like you are the core of our business and the reason we continue sailing, and we hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you on board in the very near future.

Best regards,

The "apology" is burried, and again, there is no mention that they will make any effort to correct the problem. They don't even mention forwarding the complaint along to the crew of the ship.

Incredibly the bulk of the e-mail is talking about the credit and even moreso the restrictions placed on the credit. What I get from this e-mail is "You're complaining. Here's an onboard credit with enough restrictions on it to make it have very little value to us so maybe you will shut up." Not "We messed up. Here's what we're doing to make sure that we don't mess up again."

So I guess this all goes back to the question "Does Holland America Care?"

The answer: No.

I, too, was with you until this. Buried? Looks pretty obvious to me.

You clearly aren't going to be satisfied with any response from them. You've received more than most.....while it's not what you were after...it is seriously time to let this go and move on.

Truly hope your next cruise meets your expectations.

Sorry wally' date=' I was with you up to the point I read HAL's reply. They apologized SEVERAL times in their response. Move

on.[/quote']

I agree - not only did they apologize IMO - it was obvious they read your letter - noting your plethora of grievances and outlining some of them.

Personally, I find what they offered very fair and if you don't that is certainly your right. Thanks for posting the letter.

The "apology" is burried, and again, there is no mention that they will make any effort to correct the problem. They don't even mention forwarding the complaint along to the crew of the ship.

Incredibly the bulk of the e-mail is talking about the credit and even moreso the restrictions placed on the credit. What I get from this e-mail is "You're complaining. Here's an onboard credit with enough restrictions on it to make it have very little value to us so maybe you will shut up."

Their apology is not burried. You were beating that they dis not respond to your complaint. Well, they did and now you are complaining about the wording. Sheesh! For a start you do not have the slightest idea what action HAL is taking over your complaints. You assume far too much.

As for the credit. It is a future cruise credit. What does 'enough restrictions' mean? You obviously just wanted a cash handout. See, I can assume as well as you can!

If you choose not to cruise with HAL again I think all we will hear from Seattle is a big sigh of relief!

Sorry wally' date=' I was with you up to the point I read HAL's reply. They apologized SEVERAL times in their response. Move on.[/quote']

I agree. I thought HAL's response to the complaints was quite thorough, apologetic, and generous.

OP -- You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I seriously doubt the response from any of the mainstream cruise lines would be markedly different.

Thank you for posting the reply from HAL which makes everything crystal clear to anyone who can absorb what they are reading. Maybe you should calm down and re-read the letter and appreciate the generous compensation for a mouldy strawberry and a drink that was not up to snuff. First world issues indeed!!

"...please accept our sincere apologies." sounds like an apology to me.

As for all the restrictions, they were making sure you understood that the credit was toward the price of a new booking, and not an onboard credit. Any FCC is usable only toward cruise fare, and not any of the onboard costs. So they weren't being ungenerous, just very clear about what they were giving you.

I can understand why you won't use it. You were too unhappy with HAL and won't go back. But you said you wanted an apology, and IMO, you got one.

Seriously OP you have lost me here! I mean come on! We also had service issues so I sympathized with your position, even though I personally did not feel compelled to write a letter. Just chalked it up to experience and will likely not choose HAL again.

However, I was supportive of your feeling disappointed and also with your need to write a letter. Frankly, I think the response you got from HAL was impressive to say the least. They acknowledged your issues, and did apologize ("please accept our most sincere apologies") on top of offering you a pretty darn hefty FCC. What in the world more can you expect? Do you not think that your issues were relayed to the Hotel Manager on that ship and are certainly being addressed with corrective action. It's quite likely the crew that served you is in deep hot water at this point and are getting taken to task. Do you really need them to detail that for you?

Good grief! You got your apology and credit. Just be glad you received a gracious response and let it rest already! And by the way, I am saying this not as a HAL fan or cheerleader!

I get the feeling the OP wants HAL to say something like - 'thanks to you pointing out what we did wrong, we are going to take steps to fix it and start doing things right' sort of thing. But since that involves admitting mistakes, I don't think HAL would step into that potential legal mine field. Also, $500 OBC is very generous. I think that's HAL's way of admitting they recognize the customer was not happy and it's their attempt to fix it without admitting guilt. As another poster commented, we have no idea what actions are taken as a result of our letters. I would hope they would use the knowledge provided in them to improve future service and customer relations. Happy Sailing!

Whether HAL has been reading the thread(s) started by this poster or not, I would say they believe that the poster will not be returning to HAL and nothing they can do will change that, resulting in a gracious offer of apology and a generous FCC, but nothing more.

There is so much form letter language to HAL's letter that I am sure they have thrown their hands up and are responding pro forma. HAL is just graciously cutting their losses and moving on. I don't bame them a bit and am sure they will be thrilled if the poster never darkens their gangplank again. What a win-win situation for them!

Incredibly the bulk of the e-mail is talking about the credit and even moreso the restrictions placed on the credit. What I get from this e-mail is "You're complaining. Here's an onboard credit with enough restrictions on it to make it have very little value to us so maybe you will shut up." Not "We messed up. Here's what we're doing to make sure that we don't mess up again."

So I guess this all goes back to the question "Does Holland America Care?"

The answer: No.

Oh, HAL cares, alright. About reasonable passengers who board with reasonable expectations, consider problems reasonably, write reasonable letters, react reasonably when they don't get exactly their own way.

You are certainly not one of the above, so what can you reasonably expect?

Archived