Does Holland America Care?

wallyboag

i was exhausted just reading the original post in the other thread about the westerdam

on our last cruise we had an issue w the filipino drinks girl. it seemed every night she would stroll through the lido, asking passengers what they wanted to drink. interestingly, she always bypassed my girlfriend and i. we weren't planning to order drinks, but found it odd that she would not even stop.

this went on for about 4 nights. she asked literally everyone except us. it became a running joke between the GF and i. perhaps it was because we are in our 30s, but whatever.

i decided to drop off a little anonymous note to the front desk. simply said hello as i dropped the note off and went on my way.

that evening we received a plate of chocolates in our cabin courtesy of the hotel manager and a note expressing his regrets.

fast forward to the next evening in the lido. the filipino gal is all over us, friendly, inquiring about drinks. she even chatted us up about our plans, etc.

i am not sure how they knew it was me who dropped off the note, but the customer service was outstanding. as it always is.

Judging from this thread, it seems lots of people are writing letters. Must take a huge team to answer them all. :eek: Seeing those who post to CC are a small percent of all those who sail HAL ships, if this group is representative, I'm amazed at how many letters people actually have received.

It has been years and literally dozens of cruises since we wrote a letter to HAL Seattle Headquarters. We've not had the need or inclination.

We praise those who made our cruise special on end of cruise surveys or in person while aboard the ship; we address any issue that arises while we are aboard that we think needs addressing and those issues have always been handled as well as we could expect. NOT always to our total satisfaction but at this moment, I cannot think of any issue which was so bad that we left the ship totally dissatisfied. Yes, we have had things happen we didn't think should and things that could have been done better but I'm certainly not perfect (by a long shot) and there is no perfect in my life. I think HAL crews genuinely do the very best they can.

JMO.......

Believe me -- we tried to get issues settled on board -- but the more we asked questions about our incidents of which they could not answer -- the worse things got.

You are fortunate that HAL treats you so well.

Believe me -- we tried to get issues settled on board -- but the more we asked questions about our incidents of which they could not answer -- the worse things got.

You are fortunate that HAL treats you so well.

s7s is a hal ambassador, and very frequent big-spending customer. i would hope they treat them very well.

it just seems so hard to believe (Guess I'm a cynic) that people writing with complaints "Aren't Looking For Anything"

If one isn't looking for anything,why worry about response time?

People like to be acknowledged - whether they are complimenting or complaining;) I know I didn't expect a response from HAL as it was a compliment and will confess I was DELIGHTED to get a reply back thanking me for taking the time to write.

Now if it was a complaint - I would be looking for my reply - I don't think everyone is out to get something for free - I think they are trying to tell HAL they had issues or a great cruise whichever applies. Certainly if someone left wanting to get off the ship - it's not a good thing - and HAL should care. If they don't = someone else will and they past passenger will find that ship:rolleyes: Is that good for business - no! At least, not in the business course I took or the business I ran:D

I should have said shoddy service. I knew someone would have to point out my spelling error even though it's against the guidelines. I guess that excuses HAL:rolleyes:.

Well, I certainly knew what you meant:) It would have been nice if something else was addressed other than your spelling = if you know what I mean;)

Judging from this thread, it seems lots of people are writing letters. Must take a huge team to answer them all. :eek: Seeing those who post to CC are a small percent of all those who sail HAL ships, if this group is representative, I'm amazed at how many letters people actually have received.

It has been years and literally dozens of cruises since we wrote a letter to HAL Seattle Headquarters. We've not had the need or inclination.

We praise those who made our cruise special on end of cruise surveys or in person while aboard the ship; we address any issue that arises while we are aboard that we think needs addressing and those issues have always been handled as well as we could expect. NOT always to our total satisfaction but at this moment, I cannot think of any issue which was so bad that we left the ship totally dissatisfied. Yes, we have had things happen we didn't think should and things that could have been done better but I'm certainly not perfect (by a long shot) and there is no perfect in my life. I think HAL crews genuinely do the very best they can.

JMO.......

You are very lucky that everything is so wonderful for you but maybe you should understand that not everything doesn't go that way for others. I think to many talk HAL up like it's the most perfect cruiseline that ever existed and that sets people up to whine about everything. Just because your cruises are near perfect it doesn't mean that others have had your exact same experience.

You are very lucky that everything is so wonderful for you but maybe you should understand that not everything doesn't go that way for others. I think to many talk HAL up like it's the most perfect cruiseline that ever existed and that sets people up to whine about everything. Just because your cruises are near perfect it doesn't mean that others have had your exact same experience.

If you read that I think our cruises are perfect from my message, then I did not write it very well. I am quite sure I said nothing in my world is perfect including me and our cruises.

I request, if you wish, you reread and see if perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote.

I fully understand that not everyone walks away from their cruise fully satisfied and do not believe I have ever said that I expected everyone had a perfect cruise. I am well aware some folks leave the ship very disappointed, I understand and feel very badly when I read that.

We all experience our cruise in our way and what we enjoy or do not enjoy varies widely. If my toilet works, I am grateful but I am aware when there is someone who says their toilet did not function properly that they were very unhappy....... as I would be were it my malfunction toilet.

HAL is not perfect and there are any number of posts I have written that said so. I am not a poster who always says there are no flaws on HAL ships. I spoke of disappointment on some of our cruises in the last two years or so but nothing that was dramatically awful. Our disappointments were more in terms of cutbacks.

All that being said, our cruises are Wonderful.... some more so than others and we are very appreciative to the hard working crews who provide us the outstanding vacations we enjoy so much.

Thank you, HAL. Our cruises on the blue hulled beauties are high points for us. We never take any of them for granted.

I seem to be having a lot of trouble lately not expressing myself clearly if my posts are being so misunderstood.

I'll be more careful in how I express myself. :o

I should have said shoddy service. I knew someone would have to point out my spelling error even though it's against the guidelines. I guess that excuses HAL:rolleyes:.

i thought you mean snotty. the 'h' and 'n' are next to each other on a keyboard. thanks for clarifying.

My letter is specifically about the crew telling me they don't have the authority and ability to correct problems we encountered and were never fixed.

The crew on board can only do so much, and when they tell you they can't do anything about the situation I take it to someone who can/should.

If you read that I think our cruises are perfect from my message, then I did not write it very well. I am quite sure I said nothing in my world is perfect including me and our cruises.

I request, if you wish, you reread and see if perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote.

I fully understand that not everyone walks away from their cruise fully satisfied and do not believe I have ever said that I expected everyone had a perfect cruise. I am well aware some folks leave the ship very disappointed, I understand and feel very badly when I read that.

We all experience our cruise in our way and what we enjoy or do not enjoy varies widely. If my toilet works, I am grateful but I am aware when there is someone who says their toilet did not function properly that they were very unhappy....... as I would be were it my malfunction toilet.

HAL is not perfect and there are any number of posts I have written that said so. I am not a poster who always says there are no flaws on HAL ships. I spoke of disappointment on some of our cruises in the last two years or so but nothing that was dramatically awful. Our disappointments were more in terms of cutbacks.

All that being said, our cruises are Wonderful.... some more so than others and we are very appreciative to the hard working crews who provide us the outstanding vacations we enjoy so much.

Thank you, HAL. Our cruises on the blue hulled beauties are high points for us. We never take any of them for granted.

I seem to be having a lot of trouble lately not expressing myself clearly if my posts are being so misunderstood.

I'll be more careful in how I express myself. :o

It was more your first paragraph than anything else. It's seems that several posters love to take pot shots at people that have legit problems. Then there are others that complain about nothing to get free stuff.

A while back on the Veendam we experienced a very hot cabin. We told the concierge and nothing was done. After 2 more complaints we were told nothing could be done. We were told we would get a fan. Two days later we were told they were out of fans. The entire cruise we had a cabin where HAL's own thermostat read consistently in the high 80's. We received no apology while on board and no reply to our letter afterward.

Since we had previously been on the Eurodam with no problems we chalked it up to an old ship. We will be going on the Nieuw Amsterdam next year and hope because it is a newer ship we will have a good experience. If not, probably no more HAL.

People like to be acknowledged - whether they are complimenting or complaining;) I know I didn't expect a response from HAL as it was a compliment and will confess I was DELIGHTED to get a reply back thanking me for taking the time to write.

Now if it was a complaint - I would be looking for my reply - I don't think everyone is out to get something for free - I think they are trying to tell HAL they had issues or a great cruise whichever applies. Certainly if someone left wanting to get off the ship - it's not a good thing - and HAL should care. If they don't = someone else will and they past passenger will find that ship:rolleyes: Is that good for business - no! At least, not in the business course I took or the business I ran:D

Yes makes perfect sense,writing good or bad is a good thing. Starting a thread on a public forum "Does Hal Even Care" ie Oh Woe Is Me Seems Peculiar.

It was more your first paragraph than anything else. It's seems that several posters love to take pot shots at people that have legit problems. Then there are others that complain about nothing to get free stuff.

sail7seas

Judging from this thread, it seems lots of people are writing letters. Must take a huge team to answer them all. Seeing those who post to CC are a small percent of all those who sail HAL ships, if this group is representative, I'm amazed at how many letters people actually have received.

<snip>

[/Quote]

This was a 'pot shot' or I said someone didn't have a legit problem? :eek:

I am very sorry if someone thinks I took a 'pot shot' at anyone in any of my posts.... or that I said someone didn't have a legit problem? I would like to apologize to anyone who thinks I said that to them.

Often people make their "Letter of Complaint" way too long.

They should never be longer than one page and as short as possible. Simply state your problem/problems. Also, your ship/sailing number & home phone.

Yes, you may still get a form letter as a reply ... but having it at least read is more likely. When copied to upper management , they may actually care and read it as well when it's short and to the point.

Yes, some are treated better than others because of HAL connections ... but that happens everywhere ... not just cruise ships. NO! It's not fair at all but bet most of us have been guilty of using connections in our lives. :rolleyes:

~~~~

sail7seas

This was a 'pot shot' or I said someone didn't have a legit problem? :eek:

I am very sorry if someone thinks I took a 'pot shot' at anyone in any of my posts.... or that I said someone didn't have a legit problem? I would like to apologize to anyone who thinks I said that to them.

No, it wasn't you taking the pot shots. One poster gets told on here "you sure seem to have a lot of problems" from many people. I find that really condesending. That is more what I am talking about. It seems a lot of times a person doesn't want to say anything because people have to pick at it. It not much of a secret that I didn't enjoy New York this year. You'd think I insulted someones mother or spouse on another thread. So what if I don't like it. Maybe people don't like Calgary either. I just live and work here. I'm not married to it and I didn't give birth to it. So what if people complain, write letters etc. If people didn't complain there wouldn't be much to talk about here:D.

Often people make their "Letter of Complaint" way too long.

They should never be longer than one page and as short as possible. Simply state your problem/problems. Also, your ship/sailing number & home phone.

Yes, you may still get a form letter as a reply ... but having it at least read is more likely. When copied to upper management , they may actually care and read it as well when it's short and to the point.

Yes, some are treated better than others because of HAL connections ... but that happens everywhere ... not just cruise ships. NO! It's not fair at all but bet most of us have been guilty of using connections in our lives. :rolleyes:

~~~~

I agree about the length. Even on here when people write a book in their post it's a huge turn off. Shorter is better.

Interesting, we had three cabins in our party and each noted our problems on the comment forms. None of us have received a reply.

I don't think they answer comment forms.

I agree with posters who have said that a letter of complaint should be short and specific. another good tactic is to find something good to say.

The one and only letter I wrote to a cruiseline was to Cunard after a badly mismanaged cruise--they changed ports and when we got to the port, there was no berth available and we had to sail around in a circle for 5 hours. Lots of central-office mistakes like that. The ship staff did what they could, but were constantly being thrown curves by management. In my letter, I started by praising some of the crew, I no longer remember who. But I started with a positive. The resonse letter thanked me for the compliments and said that the appropriate departments would be told about that. then they went on to address my complaints. By starting with the good stuff, I made them like me and want to listen to me. If you start off bang! with the complaints, I think you get less attention. Not fair, maybe. But human nature.

Onour last cruise onNoordam we had a daily issue with dirry water and garbage swept on our balcony from Lido deck above

I brought it to the puresers attention .Imet the head purser .i explained the problem and told her that i would leaveit up toher to fixthe problem

They did upgraded us and helped us move

We had avery nice 10 days for the end of our Btb cruise

hAL came through for me Sorrynot the same for you

So of course iM going again .so. They did not lose anything bybeing nice to me ...which is as it shouldbe .wait a little longer for your reply if not. Ask what happened

By. The way i never got an aknowlegement of receipt from celebrity years ago so I gave up

Good luck

Michele

What's the desired response from corporate?

Personally from my letter, a response that says HAL is aware of Veendam's condition and they have definite plans to fix them. If possible HOW they plan to fix them (extended dry dock, week out of service, whatever). Also an explanation why on-board our issues weren't ever resolved despite FO employees checking on us daily. Maintenance several times failed to follow through with promises, even worse never tried to do so.

I want explanations, not compensation.

Archived