This is how I Cruise!

killtheump

Kudos to you - I love your post and likewise your outlook! I 100% agree with you KILLTHEUPM. DH and I love to cruise and I was so happy to read what you had to write. I think that you have it right! I sometimes walk away from CC after reading post after post of negativity that I start thinking that I am missing something - or that maybe I am supposed to be more critical about everything. Then one day I realized that just it isn't me. I am not saying that I never get upset or that things don't ever bother me, but some of the posts on CC are real downers.

I am a naturally 'cup is half full' person and I have never let myself be so jaded by little things that I don't enjoy myself. To me, my vacation isn't about all those things... it is about being somewhere away from the hectic life we live, with my husband and/or kids and the memories that we create together. Life is too short to waste time overthinking the other stuff... Taking along all that bitterness everywhere they go must be a very heavy load to carry thought life.

I'm with you! We recently returned from a cruise on the Oasis, a trip I never thought we would be able to do. We've cruised one other time (2004-Enchantment of the Seas) and have wanted to go again ever since then. I felt so incredibly blessed to be able to go on the Oasis that nothing could have ruined that trip for me. I didn't care if the ports were changed (because of Tropical Storm Isaac) or if we just sailed around in a circle for 7 days. I didn't care what other people did or said. No one could have ruined my cruise, except me. My husband and I had a fabulous time and can hardly wait until we have the money saved up to go again. I think sometimes people that cruise all the time forget what it felt like when they couldn't cruise. I don't know if we will ever be able to cruise again, so I wanted to enjoy the Oasis to the full, and I did!

My wife and I love to cruise. We cruise about every 2 years. Every cruise we have been on was very enjoyable! About 20 years ago I found out if "I don't sweat the small stuff" life is really great! I only worry about the things that that I can change. ME! Found out I cannot change people, places and things. I can only control my actions not others. So since then my life has been much much better and easier. So when we cruise I really do not care what people are doing that does not affect me. I always wear a suit on formal nights. Nice pants and shirt on the other nights. I have never wore shorts or tshirts into dinner. Have I seen others wear that yes but my meal was great and other people did not bother me.

We always sit on the deck above the pool always chairs there, so chair hogs don't affect us. When we go to shows in the theater we sit in the balcony 1st row above the stage right side. We have sat in the same seats on 6 cruises never anyone up there. We have watched arguments over saving seats below quite comical. I have never had a bad meal in the MDR some are better than others but never a bad one. I do not go to the smoking side of the ship and cover my nose & mouth and make sarcastic remarks to smokers. I go to the other side where there is no smoking. If smoke is bothering my wife or I we go some where else. (Big Ship!) Now RC is not sending out luggage tags.OMG! I guess I will have to print them out or have the porters put them on. How long are they really needed on my luggage. If someone pays to have luggage holders good for them, also if they decide to have the porters put them on good for them. I have already prepaid our tips for our upcoming Allure Cruise and I may even tip more if I get good service. I have only cruised Royal Carribean that is because I have never had a bad cruise so I do not know if other lines are better, don't really care because I do like Royal. I work in the service industry and treat the staff the way I like to be treated in my world. I believe that if all the American Service Companies trained their people like Royal does things would be much smoother. Try talking to your cell provider or cable provider.

I guess this is just my little rant take it any way you want but I already know that on Nov. 25 - Dec. 2 I will be relaxed and enjoying time with my wife. Life is hectic vacations are there to enjoy!

I love your attitude and wish more were that way on vacation and everyday.

In the last 5 years, I've watched my father die literally right in front of me and walked in on my deceased mother...both of cancer (no sympathy posts please.) Since then, I truly care about very few things: my job, my family, my friends. NOTHING else is really a big deal to me and even a good bit of the stuff that comes up in job, family and/or friend events is a big deal to me. My answer to most items/events that could be even slightly dramatic or annoyances is "who cares" or " don't care." Why? I truly don't care. I'm not going to let something insignificant bother me.

Stuff happens on vacation and every day life. If it isn't a big deal, let it go. :)

My wife and I love to cruise. We cruise about every 2 years. Every cruise we have been on was very enjoyable! About 20 years ago I found out if "I don't sweat the small stuff" life is really great! I only worry about the things that that I can change. ME! Found out I cannot change people, places and things. I can only control my actions not others. So since then my life has been much much better and easier. So when we cruise I really do not care what people are doing that does not affect me. I always wear a suit on formal nights. Nice pants and shirt on the other nights. I have never wore shorts or tshirts into dinner. Have I seen others wear that yes but my meal was great and other people did not bother me.

We always sit on the deck above the pool always chairs there, so chair hogs don't affect us. When we go to shows in the theater we sit in the balcony 1st row above the stage right side. We have sat in the same seats on 6 cruises never anyone up there. We have watched arguments over saving seats below quite comical. I have never had a bad meal in the MDR some are better than others but never a bad one. I do not go to the smoking side of the ship and cover my nose & mouth and make sarcastic remarks to smokers. I go to the other side where there is no smoking. If smoke is bothering my wife or I we go some where else. (Big Ship!) Now RC is not sending out luggage tags.OMG! I guess I will have to print them out or have the porters put them on. How long are they really needed on my luggage. If someone pays to have luggage holders good for them, also if they decide to have the porters put them on good for them. I have already prepaid our tips for our upcoming Allure Cruise and I may even tip more if I get good service. I have only cruised Royal Carribean that is because I have never had a bad cruise so I do not know if other lines are better, don't really care because I do like Royal. I work in the service industry and treat the staff the way I like to be treated in my world. I believe that if all the American Service Companies trained their people like Royal does things would be much smoother. Try talking to your cell provider or cable provider.

I guess this is just my little rant take it any way you want but I already know that on Nov. 25 - Dec. 2 I will be relaxed and enjoying time with my wife. Life is hectic vacations are there to enjoy!

By far the best post and thread I have ever seen on CC. Thank you! :)

Totally with you, that is exactly how we feel. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. We always have a fantastic time on our cruises and never worry about what someone else is doing.

Where's the LIKE button. Great post!

That is the only way to cruise as far as we are concerned. We feel fortunate to cruise every 2 to 3 yrs, so I scout each one carefully and plan. What little problems occur during our cruise, we consider that part of the adventure and since we are casual 24/7 at home, dressing up in the evening is a treat to us and only makes our cruise more special. We don't expect perfection, life isn't perfect. We don't cruise for all the extras, to us meeting new friends and seeing places we might not ever get to otherwise, is our reward.

I've always tried to take the "don't sweat the small stuff" approach, but my daughter does it best. She had an outdoor wedding, the DJ for the reception was going to bring music for her walk down the aisle. He couldn't find the place. While the rest of us were panicking, cause you do want this event to be "perfect", she said not to worry, we won't have music. I had all the guests hum 'here comes the bride' while she walked down the aisle. She loved it, had the biggest smile on her face. Everyone remembers that moment.

Now THAT is not sweating the small stuff.

Thanks again.

No DJ?!?!?! I would have panicked also!!! That made for a beautiful and memorable moment. Your daughter will cherish it for the rest of her life. I LOVE IT!!!

What a great post and great attitude for life, we could all take a lesson from you. I agree with you 100%.

Since I lost my husband at age 56 I am always saying don't sweat the small stuff to my kids and anyone else that will listen. I really try to be this way all the time, but sometimes it is hard. But when I go on the Oasis (solo for the first time) in 12 days I will not let anyone spoil my cruise.

I am lovin' this thread. We have had many "near disasters" in our lifetime of travel, and it just gives DH and I something to laugh about now. And now we have discovered cruising, each trip has been wonderful. I wish all you nice folks could be with us on our next cruise, Vison Jan 14, but I am sure to meet some terrific people, we always do.

Happy cruising everyone.

This is the outlook we have when we cruise. We have cruised 30 times and have not had a bad one yet. We are on vacation on a cruiseship going to beautiful destinations. We also sit one deck up from the pool...looking out over the great blue ocean! In 6 weeks we will be on the Explorer heading to Bermuda. Cannot wait to get back on Explorer....she was our first RC cruise!

Amen! We always have a wonderful time. Sure there are "little" things that happen but we try to just let it go and enjoy a beautiful trip. Most people will never get to go on a trip like this. If someone gets upset over such trivial things, they really should be thankful that's the only problem they have in life. Just be happy you are able to cruise and enjoy yourself!

Archived