two cruise ships collide in bermuda

CtheW0rld

from CC's front page, video of minor collision between two cruise ships (neither of them hal): http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2012/09/19/video-1-cruise-ship-collision-2-angles/

what is this - bad cruise news day:confused: not your fault - thanks CtheWorld - unbelievable. Looks like everyone is ok though;)

from CC's front page, video of minor collision between two cruise ships (neither of them hal): http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2012/09/19/video-1-cruise-ship-collision-2-angles/

Happy to read there were no injuries.

On a lighter note, imagine if the NCL ship that broke away from it's moorings was the Breakaway insead of the Star? (Yikes, who decided Breakaway was a good name for a ship anyway :eek:) -S.

Wow good news is no one was hurt and it would appear the damage is minimal. Was no one on the bridge to do something? It would appear if they had just eased forward slightly it would not have struck the other ship.

in one of the videos, you can see the moment they are firing up the engines. there is a large puff of smoke that comes out of the stack. i don't think they keep everything running while docked. it happened pretty quickly, i imagine it take a couple minutes to power up.

What about thrusters? All the thurster and engines are electric right? They run off of large generators, they should not take very long to be able to go. Its not like in the days of coal were you had to build up enough heat/steam to go.

Maybe somebody was sleeping. But do not forget that usually during port hours maintenance is done.

So say for example they have 6 diesel generators that are able to generate power. These generators are normally connected to two interconnected switchboards. Safety rules proscribe that it is not allowed to have two engines running on the same switchboard.

If you are still following then here a possible explanation. Generator 1 is running and powering the ship, yes in port only one generator runs. Generator 2 and 3 are connected to the same switchboard and cannot be started until an engine at the other switchboard has been started. At the other side of the switchboard they have only one generator available, say number 4. Generator number 5 is out of order due to a general overhaul. Generator 6 is undergoing some minor maintenance and also out of order. Then the order comes to start generator 4, but it fails and does not want to start. Now there are two options or try to fix number 4 or put number 6 back in operation as soon as possible.

When at least 2 generators are running you can finally start thrusters or propellers (or azipods). Most probably that have to choose between one of them until the third engine is running.

I am not saying that this is the reason, just an option.

Kind regards,

SeaSheep

In June we were docked in Cherbourg and the Captain announced that strong winds were coming through. They took up the gangway (annoying for those waiting to get back on board), started the engines, and had 2 tugs there in a matter of moments that were put to use stabilizing us. We were told to stay off the open decks. The storm came through and although there were very strong wind gusts, no harm was done. We remained tied to the pier throughout the whole episode.

Maybe there was no warning of this episode of strong winds, as it appears possible to avert such mishaps. Luckily it seems that no major damage was done, eexcept possibly to the Bridge staff's pride.

Just curious ...exactly how is the stern of the ship viewed by the bridge...camera? rear view mirrors ? sensors ? aft look out ( happy to volunteer :D )....what a helpless feeling.. all that valuable real estate about to collide.:eek: Happy there were no injuries.:)

How many rope lines were broken? To move the ship would all the other lines have to be taken down? I would think that the other end of the ship was still tied to the pier.

My thought too. The bow lines should have held long enough to deliver a different trajectory.

Sudden storms can be short but very strong. One time a storm came up that moved 60 MPH through the area and had strong winds. My son had the boat tied up to a dock, but the force broke the cleats off the boat. Thankfully he was on shore when that came through. We had over 20 small fishing boats sunk in 10 minutes.

Thank you for the video!!

I can't believe that some people were actually laughing!!

And I bet that those people who were laughing would have been the first ones to sue if they had been injured when the NCL ship hit them and they got hurt!!

What would you have preferred the people to do? Become hysterical? No one was hurt, and laughing is a stress reducer.

Archived