Transfer canceled from HNewardk to Port Liberty

pier

Celebrity canceled our transfer from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty after United rescheduled our flight to arrive at 12:10 (Celebrity's cut off time is 12:00.) Is taking a taxi the best way to get to the cruise terminal? We have to be on board by 2:30. Our cruse is next week.

Surprising: Celebrity canceled our transfer but didn't credit us for our payment. We're trying to get it back now.

Celebrity canceled our transfer from Newark Airport to Cape Liberty after United rescheduled our flight to arrive at 12:10 (Celebrity's cut off time is 12:00.) Is taking a taxi the best way to get to the cruise terminal? We have to be on board by 2:30. Our cruse is next week.

Surprising: Celebrity canceled our transfer but didn't credit us for our payment. We're trying to get it back now.

Your best bet will be to catch a taxi. It's only about a 10-minute ride + tolls. It's probably about the same cost or less than what you paid for the Celebrity transfer.

Wow that is really cutting it close. It is an easy cab ride and not expensive. Is there any way to get on an earlier flight, though, since the airline changed your flights? I would not fly into any New York area airport so late the day of the cruise.

I'm not trying to worry you, and I don't know where you are coming from, but airports in this area are notorious and I would be reluctant to fly in the same day to begin with, but if I had to i would be looking for an early morning landing.......

Your cutting it very close.and if there is any glitch in your flight arrival you will miss your cruise.

You would be much better off coming in the day before and spending the night at an airport hotel as many of us aleays do.;)

Definitely get a cab, but Epixx has a point about driving. There are several hotels in the Newark airport area that have park and fly packages. Basically it is stay one night, and get parking for X amount of days. We have used it several times when flying out of EWR. Also, it can be a nice way to start the vacation.

Google "newark airport park and fly". Also, Hilton does it too.

Sounds like the OP already has a flight booked, so some other options aren't too viable. I would recommend calling, though, and trying to get on an earlier flight if you can. As they changed the flight time, you might be able to do that without the usual charge (presuming the time change was substantive and not just 10 or 15 minutes).

This situation is just an example of why I always feel the need to jump in and put my two cents online when people get reassured about the ability to make early flights just because so and so poster made his/hers with no problem (disembarking rather than embarking, but same concept). We have had occasion where we already had a tight timeframe to catch our flight after the cruise, and then the airline bumped up the flight by 45 minutes. We literally had to run to the airport and were the last ones on the plane. Had we docked 5 minutes later we would have missed our flight. Just about every flight we have taken lately for business or pleasure has had a changed flight time. If your commute time to or from the cruise is already tight, this can be disastrous.

Sounds like the OP already has a flight booked, so some other options aren't too viable. I would recommend calling, though, and trying to get on an earlier flight if you can. As they changed the flight time, you might be able to do that without the usual charge (presuming the time change was substantive and not just 10 or 15 minutes).

This situation is just an example of why I always feel the need to jump in and put my two cents online when people get reassured about the ability to make early flights just because so and so poster made his/hers with no problem (disembarking rather than embarking, but same concept). We have had occasion where we already had a tight timeframe to catch our flight after the cruise, and then the airline bumped up the flight by 45 minutes. We literally had to run to the airport and were the last ones on the plane. Had we docked 5 minutes later we would have missed our flight. Just about every flight we have taken lately for business or pleasure has had a changed flight time. If your commute time to or from the cruise is already tight, this can be disastrous.

agreed....thats why I always chime in like I did above........

And knowing NY/NJ airports........its a complet crap shoot

Your best bet will be to catch a taxi. It's only about a 10-minute ride + tolls. It's probably about the same cost or less than what you paid for the Celebrity transfer.

I agree a taxi is the best option. I think the ride is more like 20 minutes. Depending on your arrival terminal, airport traffic, etc. it can take 10 minutes just to get out of the Newark Liberty Airport and onto Rte 78/NJ Turnpike extension headed to the port.

Usually we do get there a day before a cruise, but this cruise leaves on a Saturday when there are fewer flights, so we didn't think it would be a problem. We bought the tickets months ago.

As someone is very familiar with Newark airport and Bayonne, I say you are leaving it very close. It's not the mileage, it's the traffic. Don't you have to be checked in by a certain time? I would make a change asap. What if you flight is delayed or luggage takes too long or Route 1&9 is a bear with traffic?

You did cut it close however the ship leaves at 4 and if you are running late call X right away as I have seen them hold the ship to wait for people. They have lots of time as you have a sea day and then Bar Harbor which is not very far from NY. Since this is noon on Sat. I wouldn't expect a traffic prob. We are on the trip after you to San Juan.

If United changed the scheduled arrival after you bought your tickets you need to call them about a change. We have been in that situation before with them, especially post merger and when I have called and said "those times do not work for us" they have been very good about giving me more options. Yes it is only a 20 minute ride from EWR to the port but.......if your flight is 30 minutes late and your luggage is slow coming up, as it often is in that place, you are going to be rushing to make the ship.

One other note...there is a lot of weekend construction going on along the Newark Bay Extension of the NJ Turnpike so that 20 minute ride could get longer, even though you only go one exit on the Extension. Some weekends they have one lane closed, some they don't. You just never know.

I heard a story from a woman on our Aug. 26th cruise. She was driving from Long Island to Bayonne, went through the Holland Tunnel and got caught in some massive traffic jam. She was in contact with her companion the whole way who in turn was telling Celebrity where she was. She ended up getting to the pier at 3:30 (now I thought she said that's when you had to be onboard) (maybe we sailed at 4:30 that day?), the ship was still there, and they wouldn't let her board. She had to fly to Bermuda on Wed. and meet the ship. So on this day they didn't "hold the ship". The OP is cutting it very close.

I heard a story from a woman on our Aug. 26th cruise. She was driving from Long Island to Bayonne, went through the Holland Tunnel and got caught in some massive traffic jam. She was in contact with her companion the whole way who in turn was telling Celebrity where she was. She ended up getting to the pier at 3:30 (now I thought she said that's when you had to be onboard) (maybe we sailed at 4:30 that day?), the ship was still there, and they wouldn't let her board. She had to fly to Bermuda on Wed. and meet the ship. So on this day they didn't "hold the ship". The OP is cutting it very close.

That is exactly what hapens. They have to have the manifest in by a certain time. I would imagine it is enforced even more strictly in NY/NJ than anywhere else in the world.

The rare times they hold a ship it is for "Celebrity Transfers" or Excursion....and there is certainly a limit to how long they will wait even for a Celebrity Transfer.

While I understand that the OP bought the tickets "months ago" that is even more of a reason to get on the phone and demand an earlier flight....even if it the day before. I love it when people come on here and just ignore it.

I am telling you and so are a number of people WHO ACTUALLY LIVE HERE.....that you are making a BIG MISTAKE......

I have circled so long around newark that we ended up diverted to JFK because the plane was going to run out of gas............. this happens every day around here........

Some one said you are seven hours away by car but I couldn't figure out where you are........ Call United and demand to move......anythng over half an hour and they have to move you!!!!!!

Take a red eye the night before if you have to and get to the ship at 11:00 am..........

I want to thank you all for your help. What a great board this is! I called United, and they are switching us to a flight out of Dulles that will arrive at Newark at 9:55, which will give us plenty of time. Now I have to cancel hotel reservations and make new ones, but the reward is that we'll be there when we're supposed to be.

I want to thank you all for your help. What a great board this is! I called United, and they are switching us to a flight out of Dulles that will arrive at Newark at 9:55, which will give us plenty of time. Now I have to cancel hotel reservations and make new ones, but the reward is that we'll be there when we're supposed to be.

That is great NEWS!!!!!!!!! Enjoy your cruise.......and enjoy the ship nice and early!!!!!1

If United changed the scheduled arrival after you bought your tickets you need to call them about a change. We have been in that situation before with them, especially post merger and when I have called and said "those times do not work for us" they have been very good about giving me more options. Yes it is only a 20 minute ride from EWR to the port but.......if your flight is 30 minutes late and your luggage is slow coming up, as it often is in that place, you are going to be rushing to make the ship.

Agreed. We just ran into a similar situation with a flight through EWR. United cancelled our original flight and rescheduled us with a 14 MINUTE layover (at EWR) to make a connecting flight -- What were they THINKING :confused:. When I called them and explained that was an impossible connection, they were very good about changing our connecting flight (at no charge).

Good Luck to the OP.

Ray in NH

Agreed. We just ran into a similar situation with a flight through EWR. United cancelled our original flight and rescheduled us with a 14 MINUTE layover (at EWR) to make a connecting flight -- What were they THINKING :confused:. When I called them and explained that was an impossible connection, they were very good about changing our connecting flight (at no charge).

Good Luck to the OP.

Ray in NH

Hey Ray......

You will be debarking Summit when I am boarding on October 20th:) I will look for you in the crowd!!!!!!

That is where I met you and your lovelywife in 2010. I hope you enjoy your cruise in October and allof the other ones you have lined up....I'm jealous!!!!!!!

Hey Ray......

You will be debarking Summit when I am boarding on October 20th:) I will look for you in the crowd!!!!!!

That is where I met you and your lovelywife in 2010. I hope you enjoy your cruise in October and allof the other ones you have lined up....I'm jealous!!!!!!!

Hey Yourself ...

How are you doing? Pretty well, I imagine, since you are also counting down to a cruise. :) If you are there early you might see us debarking -- we will be among the late departures. We will be boarding one of the Entertainment Tours busses heading to Boston (actually Braintree), where we will be leaving our car.

As to being jealous ... those bookings are open to everyone :D :p

Archived