London Hotels?

Kylie

We will be flying in the LHR and spending a couple of nights in London before flying out again. Any good recommendations for a hotel near a tube stop and/or HOHO stop? We are stopping in London to do some sightseeing.

We will be flying in the LHR and spending a couple of nights in London before flying out again. Any good recommendations for a hotel near a tube stop and/or HOHO stop? We are stopping in London to do some sightseeing.

In 2008 we spent three nights at the London Town Hotel in Earl's Court. It is a B&B in an old Victorian townhouse. It was reasonably priced (for London!) and the included breakfast helped out too. We always travel on a strict budget, so it was great for us.

Our room on the top floor was small, but had everything we needed, including an ensuite bathroom. The people at the front desk were very friendly and helpful.

The hotel is right around the corner from the Earl's Court Tube Station. We went everywhere on the tube easily. Although the hotel is in a quiet neighborhood, it is just a block from the main street with lots of restaurants and shops.

During our short time, we took the tube to Westminster and saw Big Ben. Right there at the dock, we took a tour on the Thames which I would highly recommend. After that, we had lunch in a pub and walked over to see Buckingham Palace.

The next day we took the tube to Abbey Road and walked across the street like the Beatles. It was a wonderful trip!

With the excellent public transit system, location is not really a big consideration inside the Circle Line.

Prices are form expensive to astronomical so what is your budget? It will help with recommendations.

Cheers

We won't be spending a lot of time at the hotel so we want something reasonably priced. We need a place to sleep and possibly eat breakfast.

I always stay at one of the Hilton Properties as I am a gold member and usually get upgraded. My personal favorites are The Waldorf, the London Hilton on Park Lane and Doubletree Westminster.

They often have specials, usually on weekends.

If that is out of your price range, Priceline is a good site to try.

Cheers

We stayed at the Doubletree Westminster (formally City Inn Westminster) and it is in a great location. If you like to walk, most of London's most popular sites are within 2 miles. HoHo and tube are just a few blocks away. Tate Britain is just a block away so if lost just ask how to get to Tate Britain. The staff is very friendly and go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The breakfast is very good and reasonable there too. Steve

Well, just about everything in London is near a tube stop...

And everyone has a different idea of what "reasonably priced" is...

I tend to like "nicer" hotels...

I've had issues in London with alleged 4-star hotels lacking air conditioning (I know, uneccessary a good part of the year, but we've usually been there in Summer and found no AC to be unbearable)...

But, I also like a decent "bargain"...

Last visit, this past July, we got a great rate-- £119 per night -- on an AAA rate through the Radisson website at the new Park Plaza Westminster Bridge...and found what is now our favorite hotel in London...

Hotel was first class all the way around...We had a suite with a separate living room, two big screen TVs, a bathroom with both a bath and a shower...Free WiFi and a great computer room...all very nice...and the location was near perfect...right across Westminster Bridge from Big Ben and Parliament, a block from the London Eye...walking distance to just about everything...this visit, we never even used the tube...or a bus...The only taxi we used was the short hop from Victoria Station to the hotel...lots of restaurants nearby...even walked to the theater...

If your needs are far more "basic" and your budget lower, I am sure there are lots of cheaper hotels well located...but, just in case you want to stay somewhere really nice at a decent price (for this level of hotel in London), you might want to check this out...

http://www.parkplaza.com/london-hotel-gb-se1-7ut/gbwestmi/home

I've had issues in London with alleged 4-star hotels lacking air conditioning (I know, uneccessary a good part of the year, but we've usually been there in Summer and found no AC to be unbearable)...

Last visit, this past July, we got a great rate-- £119 per night -- on an AAA rate through the Radisson website at the new Park Plaza Westminster Bridge...and found what is now our favorite hotel in London...

Hotel was first class all the way around...We had a suite with a separate living room, two big screen TVs, a bathroom with both a bath and a shower...Free WiFi and a great computer room...all very nice...and the location was near perfect...right across Westminster Bridge from Big Ben and Parliament, a block from the London Eye...walking distance to just about everything...this visit, we never even used the tube...or a bus...The only taxi we used was the short hop from Victoria Station to the hotel...lots of restaurants nearby...even walked to the theater...

If your needs are far more "basic" and your budget lower, I am sure there are lots of cheaper hotels well located...but, just in case you want to stay somewhere really nice at a decent price (for this level of hotel in London), you might want to check this out...

We have also stayed at this hotel and loved It. I have another question, however are there rooms available with a view of the Eye and The Queen Elizabeth Tower? The Park Plaza County Hall seems to have amazing views but Trip Advisor reports contstrcution that may block these views? I am willing to pay but the Marriott is just too much. Any recomendation for a hotel with a view of the landmarks mentioned above? Thanks

We have also stayed at this hotel and loved It. I have another question, however are there rooms available with a view of the Eye and The Queen Elizabeth Tower? The Park Plaza County Hall seems to have amazing views but Trip Advisor reports contstrcution that may block these views? I am willing to pay but the Marriott is just too much. Any recomendation for a hotel with a view of the landmarks mentioned above? Thanks

Well, there are views from the Royal Horseguards and the Savoy on the other side of the river, but they are 5* on the "correct" bank, so likely to be more than the Marriott. There's another Park Plaza up the river slightly too, and as you say both the County Hall and Westminster Bridge ones have some rooms with views, but that's all I can think of.

It's just Elizabeth Tower, by the way, to match Victoria Tower on t'other end of the Palace of Westminster. Of course, most people will continue to inaccurately call it Big Ben :)

Well, there are views from the Royal Horseguards and the Savoy on the other side of the river, but they are 5* on the "correct" bank, so likely to be more than the Marriott. There's another Park Plaza up the river slightly too, and as you say both the County Hall and Westminster Bridge ones have some rooms with views, but that's all I can think of.

It's just Elizabeth Tower, by the way, to match Victoria Tower on t'other end of the Palace of Westminster. Of course, most people will continue to inaccurately call it Big Ben :)

Thank you for giving me the information about the tower as well. I want to be correct. Do you know if there is indeed a building going up in front of the Park Plaza County Hall that will take away their views?

Thank you for giving me the information about the tower as well. I want to be correct. Do you know if there is indeed a building going up in front of the Park Plaza County Hall that will take away their views?

Possibly. There's going to be a new Premier Inn apparently, but I can't quite work out the angles and I haven't been past there for ages! In this view, you can see the PPCH behind the old Lying Inn Hospital, which is becoming the new Premier Inn. The view towards the river is over the hospital and through the plaza in the foreground.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/picturedisplay.php?self=nse&ref=2461&idi=The+Apart+Hotel&selfidi=2461TheApartHotel_pic1.jpg&no=1

From this artist's impression of the new hotel, the hospital building remains as is, but the nursing home to the side is replaced by a new tower.

http://www.milieuconsult.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=107%3Apremier-inn&catid=54%3Acommercial&Itemid=69

It may well be that IS the direction to see the Eye from some of the PPCH rooms, but you should be able to still look over the hospital towards the river! Never having been in the hotel, I can't really say.

Quite right to want to get the correct name for the tower, but I suspect most people in London won't know what you mean!

Possibly. There's going to be a new Premier Inn apparently, but I can't quite work out the angles and I haven't been past there for ages! In this view, you can see the PPCH behind the old Lying Inn Hospital, which is becoming the new Premier Inn. The view towards the river is over the hospital and through the plaza in the foreground.

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/picturedisplay.php?self=nse&ref=2461&idi=The+Apart+Hotel&selfidi=2461TheApartHotel_pic1.jpg&no=1

From this artist's impression of the new hotel, the hospital building remains as is, but the nursing home to the side is replaced by a new tower.

http://www.milieuconsult.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=107%3Apremier-inn&catid=54%3Acommercial&Itemid=69

It may well be that IS the direction to see the Eye from some of the PPCH rooms, but you should be able to still look over the hospital towards the river! Never having been in the hotel, I can't really say.

Quite right to want to get the correct name for the tower, but I suspect most people in London won't know what you mean!

Thank you for the pictures!

Do you know when the new Premier Inn is going to be built?

We are presently booked in the Premier Inn County Hall for the end of August.

I believe it is currently being built, but it's not on their current list of new hotels opening this year.

I'll try to drift by next I am I'm in the area to see how it's getting on :)

I believe it is currently being built, but it's not on their current list of new hotels opening this year.

I'll try to drift by next I am I'm in the area to see how it's getting on :)

Thanks.

How is the Premier Inn County Hall.

We stayed at Luna Simone this summer, highly rated on Trip Adviser and our experience was very pleasant.

Took your advice and booked our stay here! Thanks...........it looks like it will meet our needs.

• 2 weeks later...

You got me very interested in this hotel for next Sept. Checked the rates 319 pounds per night and no AAA rate:( You got a great deal!

Took your advice and booked our stay here! Thanks...........it looks like it will meet our needs.

The best part about the Luna Simone is the #24 bus which runs in front of their door every 4 minutes 24/7. We even went to the theatre on the bus. Much better than riding the tube--you can see things! Get yourselves Oyster cards and have at it.

The best part about the Luna Simone is the #24 bus which runs in front of their door every 4 minutes 24/7. We even went to the theatre on the bus. Much better than riding the tube--you can see things! Get yourselves Oyster cards and have at it.

Well said :) One of London's oldest, and best, bus routes, running from Pimlico, through Victoria, Westminster, Trafalgar Square, up Charing Cross road and onwards north to Hampstead Heath. Combine it with the 9, 11 and 15 as required and you have your own HOHO for a fraction of the price!

If you are sure of your dates, book the advanced purchased room. I would wait until closer to your trip unless you have a certain room type in mind. It is a great hotel. The location is awesome.

Yes, we already booked. People on Trip Advisor said to book early and since we know when we are going to be in London we did. Have only heard great things about this hotel so I really appreciate the CC help as always! Anxious to spend a couple days in London.

Archived