Help - Changing Ships In Port Everglades

WAPAVO

I will be ending my cruise on the Allure on November 25, 2012 and will

be sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam the same evening.

What's the easiest way to get from one ship to the other?

Is there a shuttle bus that goes from one pier to the other or

do I have to take a taxi for that short distance. I don't plan on lugging

my heavy luggage from pier to pier.

Also, Is there a shop in the terminal where I can get wine to take aboard

ship?

First the easy part: AFAIK, there are no shops in terminals or even on port property where you can buy wine ... so that may be a solution to your problem: take a taxi to a shop outside the port area and then back to the new terminal.

The only time I had to change between two distant piers (26 and 29) there was a free shuttle to/from the mid-port garage, so you may be able to get a shuttle to the garage and then to the other pier.

ship?

Last time we were there at FLL the Oasis/Allure was right next to us. Seriously, it was so close it was ridiculous. I don't recall seeing shuttles but there were tons of cabs which I wouldn't think would charge an arm and a leg to get to a different pier:)

If it does happen to dock next to you and you are using a porter why not ask the porter if he would deliver it there - a couple of extra dollars and it should work out (unless there are some union regs).

Wine - how much time do you have? For the sake of a few dollars I would place an order on line to total wine - hop a cab - and pick it up there. They have such a great selection at such reasonable prices you can justify it.

Last time we were in Port Everglades there was a spot to pick up wine but it was (a) pricey (b) limited choice and © inconvenient. Not really on the property per se JMO though

Not sure where RCCL docks in relation to HAL, but what I would do is hop in a cab to total wine and run in a get your wine and head back to the HAL dock. Or you could buy a couple bottles of wine while on-board RCCL and just disembark with them and take them on-board HAL with you. Plus when you get to a port you can stock-up there! That way you won't have to worry about getting a cab to Total Wine.

Or you could buy a couple bottles of wine while on-board RCCL and just disembark with them and take them on-board HAL with you.
The wine would not be as cheap as at Total Wine, and they'd have to be sure not to exceed the Customs allowance.

Last time we were there at FLL the Oasis/Allure was right next to us.

If it does happen to dock next to you and you are using a porter why not ask the porter if he would deliver it there - a couple of extra dollars and it should work out (unless there are some union regs).

Were you at pier 19 Jacqui? I believe the Allure can only dock at pier 18, and if the N.A. is at its usual 26, that's a walk that a porter might not want to do ... IF they're allowed to do it. (see map at http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/media/docs/Port-Map-2009.pdf )

I think the best plan would be to take a cab out to Total Wine and back in again.

ship?

I've seen HAL dock anywhere from port 19 (right beside) to port 29 (furthest) . All three areas use different entrances.

I've seen HAL dock anywhere from port 19 (right beside) to port 29 (furthest). All three areas use different entrances.
Not really. You can go to any pier from any entrance. In fact taxis will often take unsuspecting passengers from the airport to a NorthPort entrance and then back down to MidPort 26 or 29 just to make the trip longer.

ship?

The Westerdam wil also be in port with you.

Chances are the Nieuw Amsterdam will be at pier 26 and the Westerdam at pier 25.

You can not cut through pier 19 from pier 18 to get to pier 26 (or 25). And the porters are assigned to work only at one pier. You have to take a taxi. They are not happy about the short runs so do not tell the taxi driver where you are going until you are in the taxi.

If you are traveling alone -- do not take a taxi to Total Wine -- someone needs to remain in the taxi to watch your possessions.

The Westerdam wil also be in port with you.

Chances are the Nieuw Amsterdam will be at pier 26 and the Westerdam at pier 25.

Actually because of the remodeling taking place at 26, it's possible that the N.A. will be docked in the NorthPort area.

OP - while you are your Allure cruise check https://pevweb01.broward.org/Public/PublicMovements.aspx to see what pier you'll be heading to.

Not really. You can go to any pier from any entrance. In fact taxis will often take unsuspecting passengers from the airport to a NorthPort entrance and then back down to MidPort 26 or 29 just to make the trip longer.

The map that was attached shows a different entrance for all three ports.

The map that was attached shows a different entrance for all three ports.
Yes, but you can go to any pier from any entrance. People coming from the 17th St area hotels or Total Wine can go in the Northport entrance and drive down to 26, people coming in the Midport entrance can drive up to Northport piers, etc. We've done it.

ship?

Since IRL Joanie and I will be joining the Nieuw Amsterdam also on 11/25/12 and will be staying in the Fort Lauderdale area for several days before we embark, I'm sure we can obtain and deliver whatever wine you would like to your stateroom. You have Joanie's email address from the Meet & Greet so please send her your shopping list.

If I remember correctly there is a restriction on Sundays and alcohol isn't sold before noon. Anyway, that's the way I think it was when we previously sailed out of FLL on a Sunday.

Hope someone knows if there are currently any restrictions. Would hate for you to load up your luggage, go to buy wine and then find out you had to wait for a couple of hours.

If I remember correctly there is a restriction on Sundays and alcohol isn't sold before noon. Anyway, that's the way I think it was when we previously sailed out of FLL on a Sunday.

Hope someone knows if there are currently any restrictions. Would hate for you to load up your luggage, go to buy wine and then find out you had to wait for a couple of hours.

Hubby (Crew News) and I can pick the wine/sodas up on either Friday or Saturday and pack it with our luggage.

Since there is no weight restriction for us (we are flying in on Thanksgiving Day) and will have a rental car, we do not have to worry about Sunday restrictions:)

EDITED TO ADD: I just did a Google search for Alcohol Sales Restrictions in Florida and came across the following:

Purchasing Alcohol in Florida

Laws related to alcohol purchases in Florida provide different restrictions based upon the day of the week and the type of store. Under Florida alcohol laws, beer and wine can be sold in retail stores, supermarkets and convenience gas stations; however, spirits must be purchased at a package store. Alcohol of any kind is not sold by stores on Sundays, not can any bar, restaurant or any other establishment with a liquor license sell alcohol between the hours of 3 AM and 7 AM on any day of the week.

Joanie

Alcohol of any kind is not sold by stores on Sundays, not can any bar, restaurant or any other establishment with a liquor license sell alcohol between the hours of 3 AM and 7 AM on any day of the week.
Either that's old info or it varies by county or town, because we can buy beer and wine in stores on Sunday in our town in Brevard County. I don't know what the regs are in Broward County.

The wine would not be as cheap as at Total Wine, and they'd have to be sure not to exceed the Customs allowance.

Were you at pier 19 Jacqui? I believe the Allure can only dock at pier 18, and if the N.A. is at its usual 26, that's a walk that a porter might not want to do ... IF they're allowed to do it. (see map at http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/media/docs/Port-Map-2009.pdf )

I think the best plan would be to take a cab out to Total Wine and back in again.

John, I honestly don't remember what pier # we were at - I just know who was sticking out in front of us (the behoometh). Sorry:o

Totally agree - I recommended a trip to Total Wine as well and I think that makes the most sense:)

I don't think any taxi driver will be happy getting a pier to pier fare when they expect to be going to the airport. We cruised with a couple who were on the last cruise of a back to back to back to back on four different ships of three different cruise lines, all with turn arounds in FLL, so they certainly mastered the ship to ship transfer. BTW, every second cruise was on Princess because they had free laundry on that line.

I don't think any taxi driver will be happy getting a pier to pier fare when they expect to be going to the airport.
If you offer $20 - which is what they'd get going to the airport with a very good tip - I think they would be happy to do it. They'd use a lot less gas!

Does anyone know if they have started the road construction yet & closed the port entrance, which was discussed on CC several months ago? If not do you know when construction will begin?

Thanks..Betty

Here is a link to the progress of the construction. It has begun and progressed somewhat.

http://www.porteverglades.net/about-us/ellerdriveoverpass/

Not sure where RCCL docks in relation to HAL, but what I would do is hop in a cab to total wine and run in a get your wine and head back to the HAL dock. Or you could buy a couple bottles of wine while on-board RCCL and just disembark with them and take them on-board HAL with you. Plus when you get to a port you can stock-up there! That way you won't have to worry about getting a cab to Total Wine.

The two piers are across the water from eachother. They are not close.

Either that's old info or it varies by county or town, because we can buy beer and wine in stores on Sunday in our town in Brevard County. I don't know what the regs are in Broward County.

Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale is open on Sundays from 12 PM to 10 PM according to their website. We stopped there after debarkation this past January and spent three days in the Ft. Lauderdale-Miami area.

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/storeLocator/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/storeLocator/storeDetails.cfm&storeid=1&locationId=17771

Archived