AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

It will be trickier for Azamara to satisfy the high-end cruiser on the R class ships which aren't as lavish as the O class or luxury lines, so they will need to outperform in on-board service.

After the dry docks, one would think Azamara's R class ships will look upgraded compared to Oceania's. I have never sailed on O, but have never heard anybody say that the onboard service was better there. Food, yes.

I just did a comparsion with the cruise I am taking in 4/2013 compared to a very similar one in 2014 basically same ports and same days so it is apples to apples and the cost difference from the OV we booked same level is $700 pp more in 2014 and that is suppose to be going up from Bill wrote in his post.. I cannot understand that much of a price hike for what Azamara is offering.

I do agree prices have to go up because cost go up but we are now frankly out priced for Azamara. Not sure what we are going to do but I know now that Azamara is no longer in the picture for us. I am a believer in value for priced paid for and including drinks and having one night excrusion does not warrant a $700 pp price increase and I do not consider this a value at all. What a shame I really like Azamara and to find something else now is really depressing.

With all this talk about Oceania, I've noticed an interesting development recently ... a number of cruisers who usually sail on luxury lines are trying Oceania. Now granted, they seem to be attracted to the new O class ships and not the R class vessels, but there is a definite migration of luxury cruisers taking a "step-down". Since they are used to an all-inclusive product, many come to the Oceania forum asking about adding an adult beverage package. O has packages for $29.95 per day (wine/beer at meals) or $49.95 per day (open bar). When you do the math, it's less expensive to sail O with a beverage package than to take a luxury cruise.

I think Azamara may well be targeting this same market. The upmarket cruiser who wants an all-inclusive product at a somewhat lower price point than a luxury cruise.

It will be trickier for Azamara to satisfy the high-end cruiser on the R class ships which aren't as lavish as the O class or luxury lines, so they will need to outperform in on-board service. People always remember how they were treated long after they forget how extravagant their room was! Then add a signature night touring experience and Azamara will be unique in the marketplace. I can definitely see a market for this type of cruise experience.

I see value with this approach provided there is not a dramatic increase in prices over those currently published. Quite frankly, I think 2014 pricing already reflects much, if not all, of these new enhancements.

The optional beverage package is good for everyone. The all inclusive is not good for those of us who are not big drinkers. Touring with 650 of my fellow cruisers in big buses is an idea that I personally find abhorrent. Sorry, but sometimes I think 12 is too many.

Personally, I dislike the newer O ships, which is why I am giving Azamara a try next summer, but I'd sooner sail on an O class ship without subsidizing everyone's drinks and paying for an excursion I would never take. It's no different from sailing Regent.

Again, if these boards are a reflection of the general public, this is a mistake.

The new special event programme sounds interesting and fun - a chance to see places and participate in events that one may not otherwise be able to do. It is a shame that the 50% Land Discovery Excursion programme has been scrapped. We have (and would in the future) book ship excursions at the reduced rate more readily than doing tours independently for several reasons, e.g. knowing the operator has been vetted; safe transportation with competent guides and a guarantee not to be left behind! Full price excursions will require careful selection in future. Re the inclusive drinks policy at all shipboard bars, yes please! As noted by others, the 'selected spirits, wines and beers' to be offered are not top-shelf and will be at minimal cost to Azamara. However it will be a definite improvement to the bar atmosphere onboard, and we don't see it encouraging drunken behaviour at all. We're 'grown-ups'! Seabourn and Regent don't have a problem - to the contrary, their style of hospitality is very popular with many cruisers. However, provision of such hospitality cannot be justified by a steep fare increase considering the minimal cost to Azamara. We do hope the fabulous onboard cultural shows and entertainment specific to certain ports will continue. The entertainment provided onboard at Mumbai a couple of years ago is a lasting, wonderful memory. These changes won't make any difference to our upcoming 13 January 2013 Indonesian cruise. However, next year in Europe - we'll see. Cheers!

All-Inclusive is the only way to cruise these days. The last thing people want is to be 'nickel & dimed" when trying to relax. This will open the cruise line up to a brand new crowd (late 30's-mid 40's) that are not afraid to spend a buck. Ready to book for June.

this is why ecept for a family trip i left the "nickel and dime" behind me. i do not mind paying ofr a great martini but for soda and water like most 3000 pass ships- no way..

i am already looking for 2014 now on this line.

We just returned from our very first cruise and I can say I'm also disappointed with some of the changes. I booked the 50% off excursions and felt without the discount they were quite overpriced.

We booked the cruise just one month prior to sailing and grabbed one of the last minute promotions.

I agree with most poster's sentiments about the evening enhancements...I can't imagine a ship full of people attending one of the events. I truly wish Azamara would reconsider this and allow passsengers a choice of either the evening event or the 50% off excursions.

To be quite honest, we were usually exhausted in the evenings since our's was also a port intensive cruise and we tried to make the most of it and left the ship everyday...either on a ship sponsored excursion or with another couple we met on the ship.

We were definitely hooked on Azamara and planned on sailing with them again, but now I'm not so sure. :( :(

I am an outsider looking in. I am cruised only once before, on the Oceania Marina last year, but am booked on a spring 2013 Azamara cruise because of the unique itinerary. I am not going to book multiple cruises or even one cruise each year. If we enjoy our 2013 cruise, the next cruise might be three years later.

It seems obvious that Azamara, which has a passenger capacity of a tad less than 1,400, is trying to increase its profit margins. Based on what I have read, it is selling small ships, destination-focused cruises, happy crews and customers, and a country club casual dress code. Everything else is icing on the cake, though the alcohol-included policy may appeal to those paying even higher fares on the luxury lines.

The Azamara fares have certainly gone up. But the fares are not going up because of the alcohol and special evening policies. They are going up because of profit margin issues. The new offerings are just selling points for fares that were going to go up substantially regardless. Azamara is testing the market. If its cruises sell, the pricing will stay. If the cruises don't sell, the pricing will be adjusted downward.

And what will Oceania do? If Azamara's alcohol-included policy is well received, Oceania will follow suit. But again, Azamara is aggressively testing the market.

No doubt you're right about that. But it doesn't automatically mean this decision is a good one for Azamara's business. Bigger companies with bigger marketing research and number crunching staffs make bigger blunders all the time.
Exactly right. Crunching numbers to determine how something in the future will work out requires making big assumptions, and those assumptions can be...um...very wrong.

Hi Bill, I'm glad to see Azamara become more inclusive in its pricing but I sure do wish y'all had been generous to those of us heading for Seville from Ft. Lauderdale. It's a bit of an "ouch!" Any chance of having this begin with the transatlantic voyage?

As a Silversea, Seabourn regular I never thought of Azamara. Now that they are going more all inclusive similar to Crystal I'm going to take a look. I think it's a great idea and a way to attract all new clientele willing to pay higher per diems. Also I thinks it's a great way to attract new passengers that would have saied other lines. To be honest at their lower rates they don't want RCI or even lower end celebrity clients. They want trade down from the five star cruise line passengers as well as celebrity and RCI suite guests willing to trade up. Also they need to attract the 30 and 40 year old set, they are the future of all these cruise lines

We're smart, business-minded individuals and we recognize that this is a money-driven scheme. This is merely a way for the majority of people to pay for the minority's "wanna-be" wealthy indulgences. This will not steal customers away from Seabourne, Regent, and Silversea. It's only pushing the niche Azamara customers away as you read the prior pages of disappointed commentary.

We've sailed with Azamara from the beginning. As a couple in our 40's, we looked forward to enjoying many more cruises as loyal customers. When the "free" wine was introduced, we gave feedback to officers that we wanted to have that cost applied as credits that we could chose to use for coffees, spa treatments, excursions, or anything else that we wanted to enjoy. Alcohol is not everyone's favorite pastime!

You should have kept the core value and offered optional add-on's that give the customer the choices to enhance their cruise experience as they wish. We are individuals, not a collective! Stop making sweeping assumptions about what we want. You let us pick our accommodations (inside cabin to suites) based on ammenities and cost, so let us do the same with our excursions and bar bill!

Listen to the voices of others who are leaving Azamara because you couldn't leave well-enough alone. There must have been another way to address revenue concerns!

We have a back-to-back sailing booked in 2013 which will be our last cruise with Azamara, sad to say. In the future, we'll chose to go on a competitor's cruiseline so that we can enjoy the service and be recognized for our individual wants and needs.

....Vote with your feet (or your wallets!)

So glad I only purchased Open Passages for RCCL and Celebrity on my last Azamara cruise!!! I would rather cruise in a large, spacious suite with wonderful perks on a larger ship, than pay suite prices for a tiny cabin and bottom shelf cocktails.....

:(

I've been on one Regent and one Azamara cruise (and we have already booked a second Azamara cruise), and I have some initial thoughts:

- The biggest news, to me, is the introduction of the "AzAmazing Evenings". Some have characterized this as a whole-ship excursion, but I'm inclined to believe that Azamara will be able to make these events special; they did a great job with special events on the Journey. I'm looking forward to what they offer on our cruise next August.

- One thing that I preferred about Regent was the ability to sit down in a lounge and order a cocktail without the ritual of receiving a tab and signing for it, notwithstanding the pleasant demeanor of the Journey's bar servers. Azamara seems to be splitting the difference here: I can skip signing the tab for basic cocktails, but I'm on the hook for expensive stuff. I like that; I'll probably choose to "fly under the radar" and skip signing the tabs, and it will improve my cruise experience and probably turn me away from Regent (where I would probably choose more expensive liquor options). (I recognize that not all passengers are imbibers, but for my demographic, this is a win.)

- Since we're already booked for 2013, I haven't looked at the fare implications. Maybe Regent (or somebody else) will look more attractive under the new fare structure. I won't be able to judge until we're looking at a new cruise under the new rules, by which time the competitors may well have adjusted their fares, too. For me, it's too early to decide.

Whatever the future holds, as an already-booked 2013 cruiser, this is welcome news...

....Vote with your feet (or your wallets!)

So glad I only purchased Open Passages for RCCL and Celebrity on my last Azamara cruise!!! I would rather cruise in a large, spacious suite with wonderful perks on a larger ship, than pay suite prices for a tiny cabin and bottom shelf cocktails.....

:(

Thats a good point Angie, as much as we loved the Azamara experience I am also having a hard time to justify the higher prices for a small cabin when we could have a suite or Aquaclass for considerably less on Celebrity. Unfortunately I did purchase an open passage for Azamara, now I wish I could transfer it to Celebrity:o

Well Bill this looks like the end of the road for us on Azamara with these “enhancements”

We are loyal Azamara fans from pre inclusive wine days and LOVE the whole experience of ship size/ menu/staff//wine and have persuaded many friends to try what we in the UK call “Azamara who” when talking to people.

We are in an owners suite in November but if you really think that I am going to pay £9000 for an 8 day cruise next year then you/Azamara are deluded.

For £1000 per night I am sure there is better value elsewhere in the world.

It appears you have let the marketeers out of the asylum or kindergarten.

Lets look at some of the recent the facts.

1:The latest news on Azamara. co.uk site is of a Christmas cruise taken in 2010!!!!!

No details of ship refits or even October enhancements.

There is more info on cruisecritic than your own websites!!!

2:You offer a bespoke enhancement that costs extra in an aluminium sachet which has travelled thousands of miles rather than proper beans used by a human being.

I think the Nespresso marketers won this one.

Do not get me on the stupidity of exporting Coca Cola from Miami

across the world when Coca Cola spend millions ensuring “It is the real Thing” “already from Azerbyjan to Zimbabwe let alone the insanity of importing wine/speciality sausages from Europe to Miami and back to drink/eat less than 200 miles from point of production. Or even the cleaning products.

Do other countries not clean their bathrooms/toilets?

If price is allegedly an issue then agree group wide a global price rebate contract so if you ever had to pay more than US prices you get an override from Atlanta.

I used to work for Procter & Gamble in sales/marketing so I know this goes in in Coca Cola.

3: We the customer have the temerity to ask for pricing to be in our own currency on the website and you have loyally defended the company situation when experienced IT professionals have proven that what you have been told is specious at best and lies at worst.

How is it that lugi.com(a phonetic anagram of an Inuit) house) can offer prices to Oct 14 in £ including flights but you cannot.

4: I do not wish to go through American express (a lesser known brand outside the US) to find pricing.

No doubt the marketers proved a revenue stream from saved commission and stuff the customer.

Azamara customers know what they like and like what they know!!!

They are mostly mature couples that appreciate their fellow passengers who do not wish to get involved with free alcohol fuelled binges.

As an aside to this what is the logic of allowing me to drink a bottle or more of wine at lunchtime if I wish but charge my wife $5 for a non alcoholic cocktail which must cost less than the wine.

I have NEVER yet seen a queue at a bar of rabid Azamarites demanding more alcohol so WHY do you expect to get customers who have exhibited no desire to drink themselves stupid to pay extra so that the minority can.

You will know exactly HOW LOYAL we as customers are and I doubt if even 10% of us took the drinks package so why the majority should be expected to pay more beggars belief.

How will this be policed?

Will “Free” apply to room service for drinks or will people be stopped from taking liquor back to their room.

How will you stop stock loading i.e. getting 5 whiskies before bar closes?

The concept of “immersive” is a good one but what would make a lot MORE sense would be to allow Food and Beverage managers to buy locally both food beers and wines rather than fill boxes in a spreadsheet for emailing back to Miami?

Let them Manage.

You could try a locally sourced menu for the first 100 people per sitting for instance to see how popular it is.

With regard to the special event like St Petersburg ballet have you actually considered the logistics of getting 700 people off a ship,onto buses,into theatre and then back.

It takes 2 hours to disembark a ship so you probably get off at 4.00pm and get back at midnight not having had a meal.

As for the concept that if you do not cancel a free enhancement that you have to pay a penalty then somebody does not understand what FREE means.

FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR BUSINESS AND LOYAL FANS RECONSIDER THIS DECISION!!!

Hello Azamara "New Inclusion" Commenter's -

I appreciate your time and effort to report your opinions about our decision to include the new complimentary AzAmazing Evening event and the introduction of complimentary standard spirits, wines and international beers throughout the ship during the bars’ opening hours.

I want you to know that I'm tracking and evaluating your comments, opinions (both good and bad), and will be reporting them to our executive team.

Many of you have asked specific policy questions, and in order to ensure that all thread readers have the opportunity to be informed, I'll be aggregating your questions and then addressing them in a separate response with the poster's name in my answer. They will be titled, "Answers to Your Questions" and I'm working on responding to your questions from Monday, October 1.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

I have to agree with the majority of the posters. Overall, I think these "enhancements" are a bad move. We really love travelling on Azamara and enjoy the current product. The experience is wonderful and the prices have been exceptionally good value for the quality received.

I can't say I am too bothered about the more inclusive alcohol policy. On the one hand, as current Azamara bar prices are reasonable, a cocktail or two and perhaps a digestif lead to a relativelt small bar bill for us, so this new policy will mean we would spend a little less. On the other hand, it is nice not to have to sign bar tabs. But, the inclusions are "standard" level only so I cannot see that this merits a hefty price increase.

I am very disappointed with the loss of the 50% excursions. Given the Azamara policy of destination immersion this "perk" made a lot of sense as we could experience aspects of these destinations at a reasonable cost.

The "special evenings" aspect is very much a curate's egg, being good in parts. Good if the event is something which appeals, but definitely not so good if it is not to your taste.

But I think that the most galling aspect is that these "enhancements" are leading to price rises.

Let us assume that the price of a 10 day cruise cruise currently is x and we currently spend £500 on shore excursions and £100 on bar drinks. The cost of the cruise is therefore x + £600. In the future, as bar drinks will be "free" and shore excursion double in price, the cost of the cruise becomes x + £900 and, if we assume that you wish to participate in the special evening and there is a value of, say, £100 to that, the cost would x + £800. A small overall increase, but an increase nevertheless (and a restriction in choice).

However, these "enhancements", which already add a small amount to the overall cost of the cruise, are being used to justify a potentially hefty price increase.

Much as I like Azamara and feel that it is the cruise line for us, I regret that they seem to be wanting to attract a more affluent demographic. It seems we plebs are no longer wanted on board.

I feel very disappointed

I have not sailed Azamara yet, so cannot comment regarding Azamara pre new inclusive policy.

What I can say is it all sounds good to me and makes me look forward to Monaco GP cruise even more (what a dream come true it would be if the evening event was in Monaco on race night).

I like the thought of not messing about with signing chits or handing cards over etc. When I first decided to do this cruise it was the lack of all inc that made me doubt its star rating.

I don't like wine, so for me it's good that I can now have a couple of other drinks with my dinner.

Although I have not looked yet, I doubt the increase will be substantial, they will be aware of market positioning and in reality this will be more about increasing passenger numbers over the next month. People will be booking now rather than waiting because of the threatened price increase. Nice full ships with guaranteed passengers to make budgeting and planning for the next 2 years more secure.

There seems to be only suites left on our Azamara Quest cruise and so far everyone else I have talked to, that I know will be on this cruise is happy with the changes;)

I can't wait:)

I have just spoken to our TA and we had looked at a St Petersburg cruise for next June . The price has already increased , so if a further increase is likely in November , the cost for this cruise from Southampton will be ridiculous.

On enquiring about the 'all Inclusive' enhancement I was told it is only for certain European cruises and he was not certain if this cruise was included.

I have been told by another TA that drinks are available to order in your cabin as well!

Seems to me that once again Azamara shoreside have not thought things through properly , nor have they delivered a clear message to Cruise Agents.

Surely all the T's should have been crossed and all the I's dotted before making this announcement.

We thought yesterday that Azamara was sadly not going to be for us any more,

after this morning we are convinced.

Sorry Bill but I think we are out. Just feel you don't really know your customers quite as we'll as you think.

Quite frankly , never.

That is the reason why we would never book an All Inclusive land holiday.

Be it 5 * or 6 * there is always someone who does not know when to stop and so spoils it for everyone else..

Its all getting a bit out of hand with the free drinks bashing... Those who want to get bladdered always could on Azamara. Some of you have mentioned roudy loud drunk people on here. If people want to get sloshed they go mad with the free wine and/or buy a drinks package then spend the entire cruise trying to get best value from both options.

I think the reason this has been done is to prevent people going mad with the vino and drinks packages, therefore making the whole thing more relaxed.

Just my thoughts...:)

Having to pay for the Nespresso Coffee and getting free cocktails doesn't make sense to me! Also as Le Club Voyage members we had several cocktails for free. Now a member isn't getting anything extra.

Very disappointed that we will no longer have the 50% discount on the reserved tours. We thought this was good value. I recall a free tours we would not have taken if we had to pay double the price. :confused:

Having to pay for the Nespresso Coffee and getting free cocktails doesn't make sense to me! Also as Le Club Voyage members we had several cocktails for free. Now a member isn't getting anything extra.

Very disappointed that we will no longer have the 50% discount on the reserved tours. We thought this was good value. I recall a free tours we would not have taken if we had to pay double the price. :confused:

I agree on the nepresso, its not even that nice! They are also invading 5 star hotel rooms, but it is free in the hotels! I would not buy a nespresso coffee.

Maybe they will have other perks for the Le Clubbers, the captains rooms are being enlarged to accomodate select parties, maybe that will be a perk for regulars.

When the "free" wine was introduced, we gave feedback to officers that we wanted to have that cost applied as credits that we could chose to use for coffees, spa treatments, excursions, or anything else that we wanted to enjoy. Alcohol is not everyone's favorite pastime!

You should have kept the core value and offered optional add-on's that give the customer the choices to enhance their cruise experience as they wish.

Bill

I like the flexibility that this suggestion supports. In my wife's case, for medical reasons, she can't drink alcohol and it would be great if she could use that service in another way.

Must agree that while we very much enjoyed our Azamara cruise a few years ago, there is no way we would even consider sailing them again based on the 2014 itinerary pricing that has come out. Much farther ahead to sail with Celebrity in Aqua class and buy the premium package on very similar itineraries. You have priced yourself out of the market.

And what will Oceania do? If Azamara's alcohol-included policy is well received, Oceania will follow suit.

Here, I disagree with you.

1. Oceania does not follow. It leads.

2. Oceania and Regent are owned by the same company. They already have an all inclusive line in Regent.

Archived