AZAMARA'S BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: More Amenities added for Up-Market Travelers

Bill Leiber

I accept that many other cruise lines offer the ' All Inclusive ' experience but does that mean everyone has to follow like sheep.

The ambience on Azamara cruise ships is what many people love , I think Azamara are running the risk that this unique atmosphere will be spoilt.

Very sorry to say this but I have to agree, our Dec cruise will probably be the last with Azamara & we have a future cruise certificate that we may not now make use of.

We regret the price increase because of the free flowing liquor. It is also one of the reasons that we do not book a cruise on Seabourn or other cruise lines that are all inclusive.

Azamara was just enough inclusive for us. We like the wine at dinner and lunch, and that is enough alcohol for us. During our last cruise this was already too much alcohol for some, as we had the very unpleasant experience to be seated (twice) at dinner with a drunk, very rude person.

As for the 50%-off for landtours: a pity, but we on Cruise Critic, will be able to organize our own tours, as was the case on our Oceania Cruise this summer, which offered land tours at ridiculous prices. We did not book any tours from the ship, but took part in private tours and organized some for ourselves.

We are afraid that Azamara, up till now our cruiseline of choice, will not be on the top of our list anymore, because we we do not want to subsidize the intake of liquor. Azamara, Bill, please rethink these changes!

Very sorry to say this but I have to agree, our Dec cruise will probably be the last with Azamara.

I completely agre with these statements! May be they are even understatements.

No 50% discount on excursions because of little interest. Sorry, I'm not stupid enouigh to believe that this is the real reason.

Later departures? Fine.

More overnights? Cheaper for Azamara. Not interesting 4 me.

More alcohol? If I would wish it, I coulsd stay at home as well.

Azamara is our cruise-line of choice, but not after spring 2013 I'm afraid!

Indeed a very bad move Larry!

Hoping rational thinking will survive!

Just my two cents, but I like it, and feel it goes further down the "destination immersion" branding that Azamara has been working to promote. Now, do I want to spend more money? Of course, not, but if money was the primary driver of my cruise line selection, I wouldn't be on Azamara to begin with. I've shopped Oceania before every booking on A that I've made, and they have 100% been more expensive even without the inclusions Azamara has.

I'm a wine drinker, so the included drinks won't be a big deal to me, and I do not think free Smirnoff is going to translate to a ship full of drunks. If I do want a cocktail, I'll either take the free one or buy my own.

I LOVE the idea of the special included evenings, and find a memorable "event" such as has been described, a big reason to look further at Azamara. On my last B2B, I booked only one 50% excursion, but it was only because it was 50% and about the same price as booking privately without the hassle. On my upcoming 12 day voyage from Buenos Aires to Rio, again, only one at 50%, but again, I could have booked it privately for about the same price, so losing that special, which has only been in place for since 2011 I believe, is not a big deal to me.

Because my next trip is before the "new" enhancements kick in, I suppose I could whine that I don't get the new perks, but I understand they need to draw some lines.

Azamara is a dynamic line that clearly sees where it wants to go. Only time will tell whether that is a good direction, but for me, I'm in.

Sadly Bill I was underwhelemed by the offers you stated and our April 2013 cruise will be our last. I find there is no value in what is being offered to warrant the price increase and will start looking at other lines, what a sad day this has turned out to be,,

I would interested to know if Azamara have actually asked their regular customers what they thought , before announcing this change.

If they have , then I am quite shocked if the feedback has been more than 50% positive. If they haven't , then , as a cruise line who pride themselves on listening they have let themselves down.

As others have said we do not sail Regent or Silversea because we do not want ,or need , All Inclusive alcohol.

So for those of us who love Azamara , who enjoy our wine with our meals but cannot justify the extra cost for 'all Inclusive ' where do we go !

I have take two Azamara cruises. I am glad that I did because I don't see me taking any more.

1. Don't need to pay for Choice Air when I don't use it

2. Don't drink any alcohol/and or wine and don't want to be paying for it.

3. Bye, Bye Azamara

We regret the price increase because of the free flowing liquor. It is also one of the reasons that we do not book a cruise on Seabourn or other cruise lines that are all inclusive.

Azamara was just enough inclusive for us. We like the wine at dinner and lunch, and that is enough alcohol for us. During our last cruise this was already too much alcohol for some, as we had the very unpleasant experience to be seated (twice) at dinner with a drunk, very rude person.

As for the 50%-off for landtours: a pity, but we on Cruise Critic, will be able to organize our own tours, as was the case on our Oceania Cruise this summer, which offered land tours at ridiculous prices. We did not book any tours from the ship, but took part in private tours and organized some for ourselves.

We are afraid that Azamara, up till now our cruiseline of choice, will not be on the top of our list anymore, because we we do not want to subsidize the intake of liquor. Azamara, Bill, please rethink these changes!

Hi, Exactly right, whilst it's nice to be offered good value tours with the ship, we on cruise critic can organise our own tours. We were on the same Oceania cruise (Viking Expeditions) and took part in many privately organised tours.

Did you do the music quizes on Nautica in the evening? We used to sit with two Dutch couples and collaborate to win Big O points :D

Glenn & Michael

Maybe I'm wrong, but I read it as the new pricing for the excursions will be at the 50% off rate across the board...on board or before, same price!
Here's the wording:

"In the meantime, the 50% Land Discoveries Savings program will be available for guests who book their Land Discoveries online at least four days prior to the 2013 sailing dates on following last voyages:

§ Azamara Quest - March 14, 2013, 13-night "Florida & Seville" Voyage

§ Azamara Journey - May 1, 2013, 14-night "The Highway from India" Voyage

Note that shore excursion pricing that will be shown on our website, will be consistent and at one level, whether pre-booked online or purchased on board."

Reads to me that the 50% off will end with the "last" voyages listed above, and that after that the prices will be the same whether booked online or on board--with no clue as to what that one price will be. I would bet it will not be at the level of today's 50% off.

I like most of this news. With these enhancements, I think Azamara will change the conversation and move their comparisons away from premium lines towards luxury lines.

The addition of a complimentary event/tour on each voyage is very appealing and will certainly differentiate Azamara in the market. It truly will add value to their mantra of destination immersion. The sample list of future events is very impressive! I think we got a little taste on our ill-fated President's Cruise earlier this year with the hosted shore event in Manila. It was very nicely done. But I do wish they'd abandon the AzAmazing tag line ... it gets AzAnnoying pretty quick!

The move to more inclusive alcohol is also appealing, even though we are mostly wine drinkers. I expect that Azamara is hoping to attract upmarket cruisers who want an all-inclusive experience but at a lesser price point than the traditional luxury lines. While the R class ships are no match against the more spacious and opulent luxury ships, Azamara can more than hold its own in on-board service. I think many will find the trade-off very appealing. The only real outlier will be charging for specialty restaurants, which doesn't jive with a more inclusive and upmarket product.

On the downside, I'm not pleased to see the 50% shore excursions discontinued. Full prices for some tours on Azamara are simply outrageous, especially compared to similar offerings on mainstream cruise lines. I know the 50% offering was certainly an incentive for us to book ship shorex, which we usually avoid in favour of independent excursions. I'm surprised that they can't provide the complimentary special tour - which will only be once per voyage - and also offer discounted shorex for the other days/nights. I wonder if Azamara still intends to develop unique shorex to match their intent of being a destination-driven cruise line? Something different from the current generic tours available on virtually any cruise line. That may justify a non-discounted price tag.

Bottom line, I like most of what I see. But I may change my mind when I see the new fares!

Bill,

The Perry Golf package for the July 14, 2013 British Open Cruise included a classic drink package for both the golfer and non-golfer. Will the price of the golf package be reduced now that alcoholic beverages will be included in the cruise price?

I believe the cost of the classic drink package is $30 per day per person which would translate into a savings of $300 per person over the length of the 10 day cruise.

We are in the process of booking this cruise and the Golf Package and would appreciate clarification of the pricing. Thanks.

I really do think we need a little more transparency on the change to pricing of shore excursions otherwise, it is coming over as an attempt to disguise a price increase which for a destination line is disappointing.

To illustrate, I have pulled off the pricing and description of two excursions, one on Azamara and the other on Celebrity. The Celebrity cruise I quote from is in port the day before we arrive on an Azamara cruise.

Now I have never been comfortable with this pricing which makes my 50% off seem a little untrue as the price is clearly loaded if I was to pay the full price, though I am happier with the price when it is 50% off.

Now if Land Discoveries are going to be sold at the full price per current brochures, what is so different about these two excursions to justify the £17 per person loading just because we are cruising with Azamara. Only a few instances of wordsmithing in the blurb otherwise they are word for word identical excursions

Celebrity Tour costing £52 each entitled Ultimate Ephesus:

This half day tour is designed to provide you with a detailed account of life and times in Ephesus. You’ll begin your tour with a 30 minute drive to Ephesus. Ephesus is built on a small hill, with the entrance located at the top of the hill and the exit at the bottom. Once you enter the Open Air Museum of Ephesus and pass by the Magnesia Gate, you will visit the administrative section of Ancient Ephesus. Your guided walking tour will take you through one of the most magnificent excavations in the world. You’ll see the Odeon, the Fountain of Trajan, the steam baths of Scholastika, Temple of Hadrian and the most famous structure, the Library of Celsius. The facade of the library has two-stories, with Corinthian style columns on the ground floor and three entrances to the building. Next, you’ll see the Grand Theater where St. Paul preached. It is one of the largest theaters in antiquity with a capacity of 24,000 seats.

You will also have the opportunity to visit the Terrace Houses which are located on the slopes of Bulbul Mountain, opposite the Hadrian Temple. These are also known as "the houses of rich." They were built for the important and wealthy people of Ephesus. The terrace houses are a separate museum inside Ephesus which include great engraving, mosaics, sections, and floors all representing the life style of the rich Ephesians. You will be given an extra ticket to visit the inner sections of these houses in which the excavations still continue. The most ancient of the houses were built in the first century BC and most of the houses were restored in the second century AD. The houses seem plain from outside, but inside they were constructed with the highest standards for their day. They were decorated with mosaics and frescoes, and they had interior courtyards in the center, with an open ceiling. To give you an idea about the quality of life in Ephesus, the houses had both cold and hot water. The visit to the Terrace Houses will give you an understanding about the Ephesians and their way of life. You may also receive a short briefing from an excavation archeologist during your tour in the Terrace Houses depending on the schedule of the excavations at that time.

After your visit to the Terrace Houses, you’ll make your way down the Arcadian Way, where Mark Anthony and Cleopatra once rode in procession. At the end of your tour, you will return to downtown Kusadasi and for a refreshment stop and a brief carpet presentation.

Azamara Tour costing £69.75 entitled Ultimate Ephesus (with 50% off becomes £34.88)

Departing from the pier you will have half an hour drive to Ephesus. Ephesus is built on a small hill, with the entrance located at the top of the hill and the exit at the bottom. Once you enter the Open Air Museum of Ephesus and pass by the Magnesia Gate, you will first visit the administrative section of Ancient Ephesus. The guided walking tour will take you through one of the most magnificent excavations in the world. See the Odeon, the Fountain of Trajan, the steam baths of Scholastica, the Temple of Hadrian and the impressive library of Celsius. The library is adorned with columns and statues. The grand theater, where St. Paul once preached, is the largest theater in antiquity with a capacity of 24,000 seats.

You will also visit Terrace Houses of Ephesus inside the ancient site, which is considered as an exclusive museum in Ephesus located on the slopes of Bulbul Mountain, opposite the Hadrian Temple. Also called as "the houses of wealthy", these houses belonged to the important and prominent people of Ephesus. The terrace houses contain great engraving, mosaics, sections, floors, representing the life style of the rich Ephesians who used to live in these apartments. You will be given an extra ticket to visit the inner sections of these houses in which excavations still continue. The most ancient of the houses were built in the first century BC, and most of the houses were restored in the second century AD. The houses seemed plain from outside, but inside were constructed with the highest standards of their era. They are decorated with mosaics and frescoes, and they had interior courtyards in the center, with the ceiling open. The houses also had cold and hot water usage to give you an idea about the quality of life in Ephesus. The visit to the Terrace Houses will give you a clear idea about the Ephesians and their way of life. Continuing with the tour of the glorious city, you will terminate in the grounds where once where Mark Anthony and Cleopatra rode in procession and return to the buses through the Arcadian way.

Once the visits are over, the tour will take you back to Kusadasi downtown to explore this lovely town. Join the group for a refreshment stop and a brief carpet presentation or return directly to the ship which is within walking distance.

I am so very disappointed by this news.

We were moving away from Oceania to get more possibilities of R ship itineraries.

I will be going back to Oceania. I'd rather sail on the larger O ships (Marina and Riviera) than pay for other people's drinks and I would never take a ship-sponsored excursion of any kind.

My first Azamara cruise is going to be my last. What are they thinking??? They have (had) a great niche -- unique in the industry. Why would they want to play copycat?

I was surprised to see the large cancellation fee if one does not attend the "free AzAmazing Evening event:

Totally agree, and kind of mind-boggling. I would imagine that people who cancel a 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience at the final hour have a pretty good reason to do so. They don't feel well, or they are exhausted, etc. Nice to know that they get penalized also. I would hate to think of the people who drag themselves on this experience to avoid the penalty.

I'm very middle of the road at the moment, and I will weigh in definitively in late July. We are booked on the initial, refurbed Journey cruise out of Singapore in mid January. "New" boat, old Azamara. And we are booked in July on the recently refurbed Quest out of Denmark, new and improved and enhanced Azamara.

I drink, and I prefer making my own martinis. The one I shelled out $10. at one of the bars on our last cruise was the last drink I bought. Pretty bad, but maybe I'm finicky. I fully understand Ellbon, posting that she wants to sit by the pool, order a drink, and not have to sign for it. But I have to side with the non drinkers; as a staunch political conservative, I resent having to subsidize someone else's vice, even when it's my own. So for now, nice that I don't have to "pay", but just how much more am I paying upfront so that I don't have to pay poolside? Mind you, we are already doing that with unlimited bottled water, soft drinks, coffee/espresso, not to mention gratuities, and I don't mind that. But how does this jive with the scotch and vodka flowing like water with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but the nespresso still has to be paid for??? Is everyone on the same page here?

I don't have a clear understanding of the shore excursions. We haven't signed up for the Singapore/Indonesia trips, yet, but I really like the 50% deal. We did not do any of the Azamara excursions in the Mediterranean, we made all of our own arrangement, and I know we made a big mistake by not signing up for an Istanbul excursion. DW and I came away truly disliking Istanbul, and almost everyone who booked the AZ tours came away raving about the place. Obviously my big mistake, and I decided not to repeat it in the future. Currently I'm looking at a number of trips in Indonesia, but that option won't be open to us in Iceland, Norway, Shetlands, or Isle of Man come July, 2013. I've no idea of how that is going to shake out.

Clearly the cruisecritic consensus is that most of this is a really bad idea, and will cost customers, literally and figuratively, in the future. Azamara wasn't cheap to begin with, I just hope the line doesn't price me out of their market in the future.

I think we need to see just how good, or poor, these enhancements actually turn out to be, and exactly how high the price increases are going

to be before any of us can begin to sound intelligent. At the moment, I'm neutral, but clearly, there is an awful lot of negativity being generated on this board, and that should NOT be the case for an improved product.

I am afraid the two cruises we have booked on Azamara next year will be our last. The fares in 2014 went up quite a bit and now the fares are going up more to include "complimentary alcohol and a complimentary evening event". My husband and I drink wine...not mixed drinks and we do not use the ships excursions. So we would pay more for something we have no interest in....and it truly is not complimentary if the rates are going up.

A shame....I think Azamara will lose quite a few repeat cruisers with this new announcement.

Will RC parent company management allow Azamara future cruise certificates to be used on Celebrity.

The Azamara terms & conditions & prices have been changed since we purchased our certificate & since they do sell both types on board why not allow them to be used for both lines.

Our initial reaction is that this is a massive 'shot in the foot'. Az cannot claim to offer complimentary drinks AND at the same time announce a price rise. Plus add a Azamazing Evening, get a grip, it's not complimentary, because if we are eating/drinking on shore you aren't on the ship. So the saving there will probably match the cost of the AzaEvening.

I'm at a loss to see what the customers are gaining.

I'm glad that we were introduced to Az this year, we have had 2 wonderful cruises already and have another in November. It's been a privilege, however I suspect not to be continued.

Azamara had seemed to find a niche between the Regent/Seabourne level and the mainstream but now they seem to want to throw that away and try to join the all inclusive crowd with similar price structures. Why? If you already have a niche, why throw it away?

As far as I can see at the moment this is a major mistake(I would rather use a different word) by Azamara. When you stand back and analyse this, all they are doing is cosying up to the opposition.

As a certain UK comedian would say SHAME ON YOU! I really believe you are throwing away a huge advantage that you had, and alienating a huge following that you have achieved over the last few years.

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT?

Peter

Sorry, but I believe this is so poorly thought out, but hey what do I know, I'm only a customer.......

GrumpyOldWesty ,

I agree totally with everything you say . We too thought we had found our ideal cruise line in Azamara , they have a VERY loyal following , who love Azamara just the way it is.

I am reminded of the old adage 'If it ain't broke , why fix it '.

GrumpyOldWesty ,

I agree totally with everything you say . We too thought we had found our ideal cruise line in Azamara , they have a VERY loyal following , who love Azamara just the way it is.

I am reminded of the old adage 'If it ain't broke , why fix it '.

You have taken the words right out of my mouth.

I had found my perfect cruiseline. Thankfully I will be able to enjoy the experience once more as I have a cruise booked for November 12 before the "New Enhancements" start.

Totally agree, and kind of mind-boggling. I would imagine that people who cancel a 'once-in-a-lifetime' experience at the final hour have a pretty good reason to do so. They don't feel well, or they are exhausted, etc. Nice to know that they get penalized also. I would hate to think of the people who drag themselves on this experience to avoid the penalty.

And make everyone else sick...(although I am sure for a good reason Azamara would not charge the penalty fee).

Archived