A day in New York - need some help

krisean

Hi - DH and I are cruising out of Bayonne on Oct 28. We are flying into LGA on Oct 26. We have never been in NYC before and would like to spend Oct 27 doing the tourist things! The plan is stay in a hotel in the Times Square area on Friday and Saturday nights, then head to the pier on Sunday. I have a ton of questions and appreciate any and all feedback (including "what are you thinking... that will never work").

1) We would like to see Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, WTC, Yankee Stadium (unless Yankees are in the World Series), then spend the late afternoon/evening in Times Square and the Empire state building. Is all of this realistic in 1 day. We figured to do things in the order I have listed above.

2) How do I get from place to place most efficiently? I know next to nothing about NYC public transportation. Can the subway be used to get to and from the places listed, or do you need to use cabs? We thought about renting a car but thought parking might be difficult.

3) Hotel - I was thinking of staying in the Times Square area because it is centrally located. I read on another thread that Marriot, Sheraton and Staybridge have reasonably priced hotels in that area, and to use Midtown Cental on Priceline's search?? Are any other areas better to stay? Will hotels have free shuttles from LGA? I would like to stay under $150 per night.

4) Best way to get from hotel to port would be car service? What should I expect to pay?

5) Upon return on Nov 4, car service from port to LGA is best? This will run about $100? I just found out that the marathon is that Sunday. Is that going to impact travel to LGA significantly? My flight leaves at 12:55.

Thanks!

If you are planning to stay in Times Square, don't even consider a rental car.

It's definitely possible to do the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and WTC site in the same day. Make sure you book your tickets in advance, and start early. Afterwards, you can probably take the subway to Yankee Stadium, then back again.

No hotel in Manhattan has shuttle service from LGA. Take a taxi...cost likely about $30-35.

Do not rent a car!

Subways are generally the fastest mode of travel in Manhattan, and a lot cheaper than taxis.

Chances are that you will find it difficult to get a major brand hotel in the midtown Manhattan area for as little as $150 per night.

Take a car service from your hotel in Manhattan to Cape Liberty. Fare will probably be in the $55-60 range plus tolls and tip.

$90-100 plus tolls and tip for car service from Cape Liberty to LGA is about right. If the driver knows NY City he can avoid getting close the marathon route and minimize the impact on your trip.

I would not try to see Yankee Stadium on the same day you're going to the Statue of Liberty and World Trade Center area. You would spend too much time traveling when you have only one day in the city. By the way, if you want to see the 9/11 memorial you must reserve tickets in advance.

In any event you're very close to the date of your trip and you absolutely must get your hotel reserved immediately.

No hotel in Manhattan has shuttle service from LGA. Take a taxi...cost likely about $30-35.

Do not rent a car!

Subways are generally the fastest mode of travel in Manhattan, and a lot cheaper than taxis.

Chances are that you will find it difficult to get a major brand hotel in the midtown Manhattan area for as little as $150 per night.

Take a car service from your hotel in Manhattan to Cape Liberty. Fare will probably be in the $55-60 range plus tolls and tip.

$90-100 plus tolls and tip for car service from Cape Liberty to LGA is about right. If the driver knows NY City he can avoid getting close the marathon route and minimize the impact on your trip.

I would not try to see Yankee Stadium on the same day you're going to the Statue of Liberty and World Trade Center area. You would spend too much time traveling when you have only one day in the city. By the way, if you want to see the 9/11 memorial you must reserve tickets in advance.

In any event you're very close to the date of your trip and you absolutely must get your hotel reserved immediately.

I looked at Manhattan hotel pricing and it does not seem that I am going to get anything close to $150 a night. What other areas would be good to check out for cheaper hotels that would still be convenient to where I want to visit?

I looked at Manhattan hotel pricing and it does not seem that I am going to get anything close to $150 a night. What other areas would be good to check out for cheaper hotels that would still be convenient to where I want to visit?

Bite the bullet and raise your price range to $250/night and/or consider Priceline or similar. Staying out of Manhattan or in a distant neighborhood to save $100 when this is your only shot at seeing the city is being pennywise and pound foolish in the scope of your whole vacation.

Agree with the others about not finding a hotel in or near Times Square for only $150 per night. You will have to go outside that area or bump your budget up at least $100.

Also agree about not renting a car. Driving in NYC can be a nightmare, especially for people who are not used to that way of driving. Parking isn't an issue at all in the city. On our most recent trip, we were sitting behind a black SUV at a stop light, in the right driving lane. The light turned green, but the SUV didn't move. Here comes some guy walking out of Dunkin Donuts, walked in front of our SUV and into the driver-side of the SUV in front of us. He just parked himself in the street to go get some coffee. So, again, parking--not an issue in the city!!;):D

Subway is the easiest and cheapest in my opinion. We avoid taxi's as much as possible while in the city.

Allow yourself plenty of time for the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island tours. We spent a total of 6 hrs from the time we left our hotel to the time we got off the ferry (completely done with the tour). It can be done in shorter time, but you won't get to see everything on the islands.

If you figure out what you'd end up spending in time and money to save that $100 a night by staying out of the city, you will understand why you WANT to stay in the middle of things. Manhattan is sooo walkable and being able to come and go to your hotel at will, without worrying about tansportation costs, schedules etc is well worth it. Especially since this is your first time, I'd spend the money and too, get ready for the high costs of food, drink etc. Remember, this is New York City we're talking about. Can't find a city in the states too much more expensive.;)

Since you are close to your stay, definitely use the discount sites. You can get a good deal...but please familiarize yourself with the area.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and information. It sounds like Yankee Stadium might best be dropped altogether or perhaps Sunday morning before we go to the port.

Since we are planning to start our day at Statue/Ellis, would it make sense to also check for hotels in the Financial district? I have been looking at midtown, Times, Madison Square, Empire Blding areas on priceline... wondering if I should include Financial district. And I am bumping my price.

Thanks again!

You can get just about anywhere on the subway. Yes, I would look at hotels in the financial district. In my opinion, to save $50 or so but have to ride 10 minutes more on a subway is worth it. Check out price line (and bid) on hotels, as well. We've always made out pretty good on price line. And again, with the subway system in NYC, the exact location of your hotel is not all that critical. Being near a subway station is more important than the exact location of the hotel.

Hotels in Manhatten are especially expensive on your dates. $150 is out of the picture. You don't want a cheap hotel in Manhatten, can you say bedbugs?

But there is an "trick" where you can get the Algonquin Hotel in the heart of Time Square for $243/night. It's one of the top hotels, and it is a great value for your dates. You could walk to Broadway shows. I think it's money well spent. This deal is completely cancellable, you don't pay in advance, it's a just a reservation, you would follow the process on this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34238037&postcount=6

Priceline is also a possibility for a better deal, but manhatten is different on Priceline. In Manhatten, they don't release the best priceline deals until 2-3 days before your stay.

The subway is the best way to get to the 9/11 memorial.

Use a car service like dial7 to get from LGA to your hotel, it is about the same price as a taxi.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and information. It sounds like Yankee Stadium might best be dropped altogether or perhaps Sunday morning before we go to the port.

Since we are planning to start our day at Statue/Ellis, would it make sense to also check for hotels in the Financial district? I have been looking at midtown, Times, Madison Square, Empire Blding areas on priceline... wondering if I should include Financial district. And I am bumping my price.

Thanks again!

Yes, since you are most interested in the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and the World Trade Center, it makes sense to stay in the Financial District.

I can't see bothering to go to Yankee Stadium on the morning your cruise departs. It's along subway ride up to the Bronx, and you then have to take another long ride back to your hotel, pick up your luggage, and make your way to Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ. You're going to have to be at Cape Liberty by early to mid afternoon, so with all the traveling it doesn't leave a lot of time for seeing Yankee Stadium.

There is a 3* hotel in Soho/Downtown on Hotwire for $183 for your dates and a 3* hotel in the Empire State area for $191 - tax is extra. The Soho hotel could be the Holiday Inn Express. A downtown hotel will be convenient for the SOL and the WTC and a car service to Bayonne should be a bit more reasonable because it's closer. If you want to do Times Square, you can easily take the subway there on Sat night.

Hi - DH and I are cruising out of Bayonne on Oct 28. We are flying into LGA on Oct 26. We have never been in NYC before and would like to spend Oct 27 doing the tourist things! The plan is stay in a hotel in the Times Square area on Friday and Saturday nights, then head to the pier on Sunday. I have a ton of questions and appreciate any and all feedback (including "what are you thinking... that will never work").

1) We would like to see Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, WTC, Yankee Stadium (unless Yankees are in the World Series), then spend the late afternoon/evening in Times Square and the Empire state building. Is all of this realistic in 1 day. We figured to do things in the order I have listed above.

Possible. Skip Yankee Stadium and the rest is fairly easy in a day

2) How do I get from place to place most efficiently? I know next to nothing about NYC public transportation. Can the subway be used to get to and from the places listed, or do you need to use cabs? We thought about renting a car but thought parking might be difficult.

Subway from midtown hotel to downtown (ferry to statue and EI, former TC and then back uptown. Only way to fly

3) Hotel - I was thinking of staying in the Times Square area because it is centrally located. I read on another thread that Marriot, Sheraton and Staybridge have reasonably priced hotels in that area, and to use Midtown Cental on Priceline's search?? Are any other areas better to stay? Will hotels have free shuttles from LGA? I would like to stay under $150 per night

Marriott has courtyards residence inns in MT that are nice and don't cost arms and legs

4) Best way to get from hotel to port would be car service? What should I expect to pay?

Dial 7 is my fave but a car service is the choice unless your CL has a transfer

5) Upon return on Nov 4, car service from port to LGA is best? This will run about $100? I just found out that the marathon is that Sunday. Is that going to impact travel to LGA significantly? My flight leaves at 12:55.

Find out what the CL transfer costs. If you use a car service the driver can easily use a route to LGA that avoids the annual marathon nonsense.

Thanks!

Hope this helps

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Check out the Ramada Inn Eastside. It is on 30th and Lexington. The rates are more reasonable. Nice hotel with breakfast ncluded. "Quieter" neighborhood and of the half a dozen plus times we have stayed there, we have been lucky enough to find free street parking more than 50% of the time, within a block of the hotel. The remainder of the time we used a garage a block away and around the corner. Very easy, but you do pay NYC parking prices... But hey....if you are going to NYC...you end up paying. Just part of being there... If you really want to keep costs down, you will have to stay in jersey... But if you want to see NYC, you will end up paying the difference in transportation/parking/etc...

Check out the ramada Eastside. Worth a look...

Thanks again everyone for your information. It is so great to get knowledgable feedback.

D-train - I checked out the Ramada but it was running $255.00 a night so I went with the suggestion from 138 east.

138 East - I found the 3* rate for downtown that you mentioned on hotwire and went ahead and booked it. Thanks much. (It is indeed the Holiday Inn express).

I will be sure and get my tixs in advance for SOL/Ellis/WTC. We are going to skip Yankee Stadium (hopefully Yankees will be in the series anyway!!).

How far in advance should I contact the car services about transportation? And should I take a car service upon arriving at LGA (to the hotel) or just use a cab for that?

The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island will take up most of your day. If you do not arrive real early the lines wind through Battery Park and get real long. Pick up a guide book and plan your sightseeing for the Wall Street area, there is a lot to see. The best way to explore N.Y.C. is to divide the city into segments. Running all over and riding the subway wastes a lot of time.

Thanks again everyone for your information. It is so great to get knowledgable feedback.

D-train - I checked out the Ramada but it was running $255.00 a night so I went with the suggestion from 138 east.

138 East - I found the 3* rate for downtown that you mentioned on hotwire and went ahead and booked it. Thanks much. (It is indeed the Holiday Inn express).

I will be sure and get my tixs in advance for SOL/Ellis/WTC. We are going to skip Yankee Stadium (hopefully Yankees will be in the series anyway!!).

How far in advance should I contact the car services about transportation? And should I take a car service upon arriving at LGA (to the hotel) or just use a cab for that?

I would make car service reservations two weeks in advance. You may as well use a car service from LGA to your hotel too.

And remember when you do the SofL and Ellis Is. The boat goes from the Battery to SofL and then to Ellis Is. It then goes back to the Battery. So if the plan was to do Ellis Island first, then go back to SofL, you'd have to go back to the Battery, buy another ticket and go out again. Get off at SofL, spend however much time you want there, then take a later boat to Ellis Is and then go back to the Battery.

Congratulations! Sounds like you now have a plan. You can easily walk to Battery Park from Wall St. In 10-15 minutes. If you have a chance, cut through the Trinity Church graveyard to get a peek at historic NY.

I just went through the same angst with a London hotel. I finally ended up taking my own Hotwire advice - if you see a good deal that you can live with, jump on it quickly and don't look back. Someone on my roll call found a popular 4* London hotel for $160 incl tax and a bunch of us booked it. I'm traveling solo, so it's nice to know I'll be staying in the same hotel with other cruisers and will have the chance to share port transportation costs.

I just went through the same angst with a London hotel. I finally ended up taking my own Hotwire advice - if you see a good deal that you can live with, jump on it quickly and don't look back. Someone on my roll call found a popular 4* London hotel for $160 incl tax and a bunch of us booked it. I'm traveling solo, so it's nice to know I'll be staying in the same hotel with other cruisers and will have the chance to share port transportation costs.

Would you mind sharing what hotel that was (and how it was listed on Hotwire)? I hang out, trying to help and give advice, on the British Isles/Western Europe board and hotels in London is obviously a common topic :)

The hotel is the Doubletree Westminster. It was listed at $122 but with fees and taxes it was about $160. The key to identifying it was Westminster-Big Ben with free Internet. it varies a little day to day.

Amenities:

Free Internet, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), High-Speed Internet Access, Wheelchair accessible

See all amenities

This is being discussed on the Brilliance of the Seas roll calls for Aug 31, 2013 westbound TA. The cruise sails from Harwich, so right now everyone is trying to lock in one way air plus precruise hotels for a variety of dates in London. There are at least 10+ people who have booked this hotel and the number grows daily. I know this will soon be gone from Hotwire when they get rid of the allocated number of rooms.

I hang out enough on this board to know that he who hesitates is lost when it comes to Hotwire. This hotel will work well for me as a solo traveler. It will have other cruisers. I can walk to all the places I want to see. Any Harwich transportation organized by the group is going to leave from this hotel. So I see it as a no brainer for me.

Yes, very popular with Cruise Critics coming through London - brilliantly centrally located, but quiet, and that's a good deal. Good to know it can be available on Hotwire, thanks.

It used to be the City Inn, and was then the Mint Hotel, you may find cabbies know it as one of those still, although they should be getting used to the new name by now :) I used to drink in several pubs around there when I worked in the area - check out the Marquis of Granby just the other side of Horseferry Road if you are there on a week day.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Do come over to our board if you have any London/Harwich questions!

http://www.nps.gov/stli/index.htm the crown wont be open till oct 28 might change your idea of going to see it. you can take the go on this for free and sail past it http://siferry.com/

3) Hotel - I was thinking of staying in the Times Square area because it is centrally located. I read on another thread that Marriot, Sheraton and Staybridge have reasonably priced hotels in that area, and to use Midtown Cental on Priceline's search?? Are any other areas better to stay? Will hotels have free shuttles from LGA? I would like to stay under $150 per night.

Thanks!

Archived