LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

Really enjoying your posts. We will be sailing the Vision the day you return. Who is the CD and is entertainment good?

We sailed out of San Diego in Apr., unfortunately, it was raining the day we boarded and our luggage sat outside for 6 hrs. All clothes were wet and several items ruined--not a pleasant way to start a 15 day cruise. Needless to say, we are not thrilled with the San Diego Port.

Also, the picture of the last ship you posted, that is the ship that was used in the movie Pirates of the Caribbean.

Have a great return trip and bring her back in great shape.

Aircraft Carrier Experts Step In Please...

this carrier was across the harbor from us yesterday and appeared to be undergoing a refit.

Can anyone tell me anything about i?

What is the "white" in so many places?

IMG_1166.jpg

Looks like white canvas fencing often used around construction areas.

this carrier was across the harbor from us yesterday and appeared to be undergoing a refit.

The USS Midway (CV-41) was commissioned right after the end of WW2. Saw major action during the Vietnam war, and also Desert Storm. She was decommissioned in 1992 and began life as a museum in San Diego in 2004.

I could not find info on all the "white", but (as another poster suggested) maybe something to do with maintenance on the museum part?

So glad we are now enjoying the second leg of Trainman's b2b PC cruise!

That is quite a few b2b cruisers! Hope your new table mates are as enjoyable as your first ones were.

As already stated that was the USS Midway, IMO one of the best tours in SD. We have enjoyed the harbor tour a few times and have enjoyed seeing all the military ships in port. I love sailing out of SD!!!!

Jim, you are right about it not raining and the luggage being in the rain, that is always my biggest fear of embarkation and disembarkation days...ruined luggage and clothing! A few times we've had to change planes and it was raining, only one suitcase had gotten wet and a few item ruined, at least it was on the return home!

Train man, we ate with the Hotel Director on the Vision when it was Tony O'Prey.He has since passed away. You are in for quite a treat!!! Wonderful service and wine.... The CD and his wife were there as well, another couple, and another officer. They delivered a free picture to our stateroom the next day of the group. Have fun!!!

Our luggage sat outside in Dallas on our way to Puerto Rico for a cruise a few years ago during a major thunderstorm. We could see it from the terminal, but there was nothing we could do. The baggage handlers left it there in a pile while they went to the safety of the terminal due to all the lightening. Better for the luggage to be in danger than the people!:eek: However, when we finally arrived in PR everything was soaked. My DH had his clothes spread out all over the hotel room to dry. Mine was just fine. I had it all in zip-lock bags. I just opened my suitcase near the tub and poured all the water off the bags and into the tub. My clothes stayed nice and dry. DH no longer laughs at me when I pack my clothes in my zip lock bags.:rolleyes:

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1164.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

The ship appears to be going through a Ship Restricted Availability (SRA). These happen intermitantly during a ships lifecycle, since yard periods are only every 5 years or so. The white you see are areas where the weather decks or spaces behind them are being covered or protected for any of a number of reasons. Could be taking the paint down to bare metal, and repriming and painting. It could be openings they have cut in the ships hull to get large pieces of equipment in or out, as well as other things that just enable the ship's company and contractors to work on whatever projects are going on. On a Nimitz class carrier, an availability like this could be running up to 100 million dollars, and can last for as little as a couple of weeks, to as much as 3 months. I'm a retired Navy CAPTAIN (designated as a Surface Warfare Officer), but I won't say I know everything going on, since it varies from ship to ship, and availability to availability. It just depends on what the ship needs to keep it ready to be part of your US Navy. A Global Force for Good!

Thanks for the posts and great pics. Getting ready to book last minute cruise on the Vision and had a couple questions. Where is the nightly Diamond Event held? Any other special events for Diamond? Who is the CD onboard now? Thanks

Our luggage sat outside in Dallas on our way to Puerto Rico for a cruise a few years ago during a major thunderstorm. We could see it from the terminal, but there was nothing we could do. The baggage handlers left it there in a pile while they went to the safety of the terminal due to all the lightening. Better for the luggage to be in danger than the people!:eek: However, when we finally arrived in PR everything was soaked. My DH had his clothes spread out all over the hotel room to dry. Mine was just fine. I had it all in zip-lock bags. I just opened my suitcase near the tub and poured all the water off the bags and into the tub. My clothes stayed nice and dry. DH no longer laughs at me when I pack my clothes in my zip lock bags.:rolleyes:

I always use the zip-locks - one of the many tips I learned here on CC. They have saved my clothes too.