Getting from LAX to Star Princess

Pennipops

Sorry if I'm going to bore the pants off you all, but I've got lots of questions about my planned cruise! I will only ask one question at a time so here goes. I am arranging my own flight from the UK to LAX. Shall I just pre-order a taxi to the cruise ship or is there a shuttle direct from the airport? I'm hoping to travel on the Star Princess from LA on 4-4-14, to Hawaii! :)

Sorry if I'm going to bore the pants off you all, but I've got lots of questions about my planned cruise! I will only ask one question at a time so here goes. I am arranging my own flight from the UK to LAX. Shall I just pre-order a taxi to the cruise ship or is there a shuttle direct from the airport? I'm hoping to travel on the Star Princess from LA on 4-4-14, to Hawaii! :)

You can get Super Shuttle or Prime Time for around 16 or 17 dollars per person. They have lots of vans going from the airport to the pier. Check them out on the internet if you want too make advance reservations. May not be necessary to book in advance but price may be better.

You can get Super Shuttle or Prime Time for around 16 or 17 dollars per person. They have lots of vans going from the airport to the pier. Check them out on the internet if you want too make advance reservations. May not be necessary to book in advance but price may be better.

Agree.

Much less costly than a cab.

Princess transfers are more expensive than Super Shuttle, BUT once they have your luggage you won't see or have to hassle with it again until it gets to your cabin. You are also guaranteed that - in case of scheduling issues - the ship will not leave without you. That might be important depending on what time your flight comes in.

Your Super Shuttle transfer may also include stops in other places depending on who is on board...the Princess transfer goes direct.

For the extra few dollars, it's worth the money.

A taxi / Supershuttle / Princess Transfer alternative is ExecuCar. They are actually owned by Supershuttle, private vehicle (mini-van). Fixed price for 4 or 5 passengers. I did a quick calculation and it came $55.00 (not including tip) to the Port of Los Angeles. Better than a taxi and more comfortable than Supershuttle shared van.

We were just in the Port of LA (San Pedro) last week and the most current taxi rates are:

LAX Airport - $57.00

Long Beach Airport - $43.00

Amtrak LA - $73.00

Orange County - $89.00

Disneyland - $89.00

This is for a taxi that can hold up to seven passengers (according to them although I think it might be cramped with a lot of luggage even in a mini van taxi). Often times, you can share a taxi with others.

My favorite way to go is with PrimeTime Shuttle (Red Vans). http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/ We have used them many times now and have always had a good experience. They are typically a little late 10-30 mins. late, but if you plan on that ahead of time, it's not a big deal. They are good about communicating their status.

A taxi / Supershuttle / Princess Transfer alternative is ExecuCar. They are actually owned by Supershuttle, private vehicle (mini-van). Fixed price for 4 or 5 passengers. I did a quick calculation and it came $55.00 (not including tip) to the Port of Los Angeles. Better than a taxi and more comfortable than Supershuttle shared van.
We just used ExecuCar two weeks ago from San Pedro to LAX. They offer limos at about $85 or Business class vans for $55. Both are private, not shared. We did the van for four people. We gave our scheduled pickup time at the pier and the van was at the port when we called. $55 for four people was a good price for a private car. This is only one experience but we will consider again in the future. Have also used Super Shuttle shared vans to get to SFO when up north and that worked well.

A lot of your decision will depend on the day and time of your arrival. If it were me I would plan to arrive LAX on Saturday (I believe you are sailing on a Sunday) and spend the night either in L.A. or in San Pedro. If my arrival was early enough in the day I would go to San Pedro the same day. There are a few nice hotels there within 5 mins of the pier, you can look them up on the web. To me it is worth the extra time to be refreshed when I board the ship.

We had a poor experience with Prime Time Shuttle so we won't be using them and I won't recommend them to anyone, especially if you decide to prebook a shuttle. Despite the email confirmation after booking them, they managed to mess up our pickups on BOTH ends:mad:: sent the driver/van to the pier when we were to be picked up from our house, and sent the driver/van to our house when we were waiting at the shuttle island in San Pedro. When their curbside rep (who was dealing with several mess ups that morning:eek:) told the office that he needed to use the next van for us, the person on the other line -- and I was standing right next to him so I heard this -- started to argue with him that there was no way we could be there as the driver was at our house in the Valley, even when he said we were with him.

Princess transfers are more expensive than Super Shuttle, BUT once they have your luggage you won't see or have to hassle with it again until it gets to your cabin. You are also guaranteed that - in case of scheduling issues - the ship will not leave without you. That might be important depending on what time your flight comes in.

Your Super Shuttle transfer may also include stops in other places depending on who is on board...the Princess transfer goes direct.

They do not wait if your flight is late. The ship sails on time PERIOD. It's a misnomer that if you book your flight with the cruise line they wait for you, that's false too.

Princess transfers are more expensive than Super Shuttle, BUT once they have your luggage you won't see or have to hassle with it again until it gets to your cabin. You are also guaranteed that - in case of scheduling issues - the ship will not leave without you.

They do not wait if your flight is late. The ship sails on time PERIOD. It's a misnomer that if you book your flight with the cruise line they wait for you, that's false too.

I think bdjam was trying to say the ship would wait for a Princess bus on the way from the airport, not that the ship would wait for a late flight.

We have used Super Shuttle a number of times and have been very happy with them. One thing you need to remember is that they will try to fill that van which holds about 11 people, so they will circle the airport trying to fill the van before it departs. If you book online and use this code you will save a few dollars. UYR59

We were just in the Port of LA (San Pedro) last week and the most current taxi rates are:

LAX Airport - $57.00

Long Beach Airport - $43.00

Amtrak LA - $73.00

Orange County - $89.00

Disneyland - $89.00

This is for a taxi that can hold up to seven passengers (according to them although I think it might be cramped with a lot of luggage even in a mini van taxi). Often times, you can share a taxi with others.

My favorite way to go is with PrimeTime Shuttle (Red Vans). http://www.primetimeshuttle.com/ We have used them many times now and have always had a good experience. They are typically a little late 10-30 mins. late, but if you plan on that ahead of time, it's not a big deal. They are good about communicating their status.

Is the $57 San Pedro to LAX taxi rate a fixed rate or is that just an estimated metered fare?

We just used ExecuCar two weeks ago from San Pedro to LAX. They offer limos at about $85 or Business class vans for $55. Both are private, not shared. We did the van for four people. We gave our scheduled pickup time at the pier and the van was at the port when we called. $55 for four people was a good price for a private car. This is only one experience but we will consider again in the future. Have also used Super Shuttle shared vans to get to SFO when up north and that worked well.

We have used Execucar Business Express several times, they are prompt and reliable. They meet you by the other shuttles at the airport and the port. Use code PKJXM only saves you a few bucks but I put it towards the tip.

Pennipops, we've transferred to and from the port to LAX several times. Twice we had a pre arranged pickup from Prime Time Shuttle, they were waiting for us and the transfer was very smooth. They waited about 15 minutes for more passengers.

On another occasion we followed the signs to the shuttle pick up zone and within 5 minutes Super Shuttle was there, we did not have a reservation.

Super Shuttle, prime time shuttle both do a good job.

Taxis are readily available as well.

Can someone please let me know what the name/address is of the pier in San Pedro/ Los Angeles. I am trying to book execucar super shuttle from the ship back to LAX and they need the address, they don't seem to have it. Thanks
From the Princess website the address is listed as

Berth 93

San Pedro, CA 90731

I had not problem with Execucar last month and the reservation person even confirmed it was LA/San Pedro and not Long Beach. You must have had a new person.

From the Princess website the address is listed as

Berth 93

San Pedro, CA 90731

I had not problem with Execucar last month and the reservation person even confirmed it was LA/San Pedro and not Long Beach. You must have had a new person.

I got someone who figured it out, thanks for the help. I have them booked to pick us up.

Archived