Price has dropped, how do we go about getting the new rate?

Ineke

I have read other threads about the price of some itineraries dropping, but it has never been one that affected us, so you know how it goes, I just read over it.

We are booked on the Noordam 11 day Southern Caribbean Wayfarer on December 27. We just booked it last week, and had to pay the full price right away for a VH guarantee. I've read about VH guarantees, and that there's a good chance of an upgrade, but we're prepared for a VH no problem.

When I checked just now, the price has dropped another $200.00, so we want to phone someone tomorrow and get the new rate.

Can someone help me and tell me exactly how to go about doing this?

All help will be appreciated, I love Cruise Critic for exactly this reason, I've learned so much over the years. Thanks in advance.

Our price lowered before final payment was do so I called them and cancelled my current booking and rebooked the same VH at the lower price. Only trouble was I had to rebook my excursions. Small price for the savings!

Also, my price went down again, but now it's after final payment, so they upgraded my VH guarantee to a VC guarantee. That means we still stand the possibility of better than a VC! Like you we're happy with whatever we get, but ecstatic at the upgrade today!

P.S. They probably aren't open now until Monday or Tuesday because of the holiday, but I would try anyway.

They will have reps working Sunday and Monday. I don't know if it is weekend staffing for the holiday Monday or business as usual for work week.

No reason it isn't business as usual on Tuesday.

P.S. They probably aren't open now until Monday or Tuesday because of the holiday, but I would try anyway.

Partial Quote above as I only want to address the "Holiday" comment (and this by no means is meant to disparage you Carol!!)

Monday is NOT a Holiday in the US Carol:) It is a Canadian Holiday. And unless the OP is dealing with a Travel Agent and not HAL directly, then the HAL Reps/Sales/Customer Service in Seattle will be open so you can call them today:)

Joanie

Partial Quote above as I only want to address the "Holiday" comment (and this by no means is meant to disparage you Carol!!)

Monday is NOT a Holiday in the US Carol:) It is a Canadian Holiday. And unless the OP is dealing with a Travel Agent and not HAL directly, then the HAL Reps/Sales/Customer Service in Seattle will be open so you can call them today:)

Joanie

Sorry Joanie but Monday IS a holiday in the US. It's Columbus Day. I have the day off, courts and other facilities are closed.

Sorry Joanie but Monday IS a holiday in the US. It's Columbus Day. I have the day off, courts and other facilities are closed.

Amy, I just discovered that Monday is indeed Columbus Day and a holiday for many in the US....Duh, how blond can I get:D

I know though that my HAL PCC will be at work on Monday because she told me so when we talked this past Friday. So, I am thinking that possibly, like my hubby's company, HAL may work on Monday....

Thank you so much for correcting my error:) I mean that sincerely!! I hate giving out the wrong info:o

Joanie

Columbus Day tends to be more of a governmental holiday than one for private employees, though it might vary by state. Never got it off in the U.S. working for a then Fortune 500 (or maybe even 100) company at HQ. U.S. tends to have only 8 statutory holidays that are widely observed.

I have read other threads about the price of some itineraries dropping, but it has never been one that affected us, so you know how it goes, I just read over it.

We are booked on the Noordam 11 day Southern Caribbean Wayfarer on December 27. We just booked it last week, and had to pay the full price right away for a VH guarantee. I've read about VH guarantees, and that there's a good chance of an upgrade, but we're prepared for a VH no problem.

When I checked just now, the price has dropped another $200.00, so we want to phone someone tomorrow and get the new rate.

All help will be appreciated, I love Cruise Critic for exactly this reason, I've learned so much over the years. Thanks in advance.

Has the price dropped for the SZ Superior Vernadah? The reason I ask you are more likely to get HAL to move you up by you giving them more money than HAL is to refund or give you credit. "Cash is King" The Superior Verandah Cabins are amazing. HAL is likely to be willing to help if you are giving them more.... just saying it could be a win-win.

Columbus Day tends to be more of a governmental holiday than one for private employees, though it might vary by state. Never got it off in the U.S. working for a then Fortune 500 (or maybe even 100) company at HQ. U.S. tends to have only 8 statutory holidays that are widely observed.

It's an oddball holiday for sure. I work for a private non- profit and we are closed, probably because the courts are closed. DH works for a city and they are open. There is no mail delivery, most banks are closed. Schools are almost all open. My doctor's office is open, as well as my chiropractor. Sadly I need them to be :(

If OP's cruise is Dec 27, that would be 81 days from today. Why would she be in penalty? I would think she had this week still and should be able to get the new price. If you pay in full a few days early, does that void the 75 day rule?

If OP's cruise is Dec 27, that would be 81 days from today. Why would she be in penalty? I would think she had this week still and should be able to get the new price. If you pay in full a few days early, does that void the 75 day rule?

I believe holiday cruises need to be paid 90 days in advance.

Hi, Welcome to the Dec.27th sailing . Be sure to go over to the Roll Call.

We are on the full 21 day Collectors Cruise and our TA just got us OBC equal to 1/2 the total price drop for our cabin. Not the full amount but considering it is past final payment date, a nice jesture from HAL.

Hi, Welcome to the Dec.27th sailing . Be sure to go over to the Roll Call.

We are on the full 21 day Collectors Cruise and our TA just got us OBC equal to 1/2 the total price drop for our cabin. Not the full amount but considering it is past final payment date, a nice jesture from HAL.

According to my HAL PCC that is exactly what we are supposed tyo get after final payment due date. It is awesome:)

My guess is that many TA's are unaware of this and may, I stress the word MAY disregard some passengers who tell them what they want/should be receiving....

Joanie

According to my HAL PCC that is exactly what we are supposed tyo get after final payment due date. It is awesome:)

My guess is that many TA's are unaware of this and may, I stress the word MAY disregard some passengers who tell them what they want/should be receiving....

Joanie

Joanie, not exactly true, the Onboard credit can be obtained if it is NOT a Flash that is the lower price. I think most TA's do know this but trust me HAL is very good at saying"NO" :D So do you call when you cruise has gone down to a Flash Sale with your Corner Aft cabin already booked and all HAL is selling is the SC Guarantee? Trust me HAL does not hand out Ship Board credit that easily ;) Although I have seen cases if someone did book under Flash and their cabin had not yet been assigned and the price dropped again that they have been given Ship Board credit but it is very rare and it is more likely for them to upgrade that person instead.

My TA emailed me that the obstructed view guarantee (HH) rate for our Dec. 2 sailing had gone down $50, so he got us an upgrade to an unobstructed view guarantee (FF).

What happens in these situations if you have booked with someone like Expedia, Costco, Entertainment Book or some other company like that. Are you able to obtain some type of adjustment?

Thank you ALL of the posters on this thread !

After reading of this particular thread I took the phone and call HA. They offer me a SZ instead a VH for 299,00$ more. And I said YESSSS !

WOW !

Holacanada

congratulations:D well done indeed - it never hurts to ask:):)

Thank you ALL of the posters on this thread !

After reading of this particular thread I took the phone and call HA. They offer me a SZ instead a VH for 299,00$ more. And I said YESSSS !

WOW !

Holacanada

That is great!! Congrats :) You will love the Superior Verandah Suite. That is truly the way you work HAL when prices drop ;)

That is great!! Congrats :) You will love the Superior Verandah Suite. That is truly the way you work HAL when prices drop ;)

We also saw the drop so called HAL and asked for an onboard credit (had a VH Guar), but instead was offered an upgrade to a higher V cat. The price to upgrade to an SZ was too tempting, so that's what we did. Two weeks in a Superior Verandah - livin' large! Of course we'lll take another upgrade offer to a Deluxe - we actually were upgraded FREE once before, twice would be good too!!;)

Joanie, not exactly true, the Onboard credit can be obtained if it is NOT a Flash that is the lower price. I think most TA's do know this but trust me HAL is very good at saying"NO" :D So do you call when you cruise has gone down to a Flash Sale with your Corner Aft cabin already booked and all HAL is selling is the SC Guarantee? Trust me HAL does not hand out Ship Board credit that easily ;) Although I have seen cases if someone did book under Flash and their cabin had not yet been assigned and the price dropped again that they have been given Ship Board credit but it is very rare and it is more likely for them to upgrade that person instead.

Thanks for the input - I am in a very similiar situation. I have an assigned cabin - corner aft SC - and now the SC price is $400 pp lower than I paid. I am past final payment and the price for the SC is a "special fare", meaning not refundable and a guarantee.

Sounds to me like I cannot do much about it now, correct? I booked thru a TA who is not much help IMO.

DaveOKC

Thanks for the input - I am in a very similiar situation. I have an assigned cabin - corner aft SC - and now the SC price is $400 pp lower than I paid. I am past final payment and the price for the SC is a "special fare", meaning not refundable and a guarantee.

Sounds to me like I cannot do much about it now, correct? I booked thru a TA who is not much help IMO.

DaveOKC

Update - I decided to give it "one more try" and asked my TA to see what HAL could do. To my GREAT surprize, she just called me and said they are will give me $400 (total) OBC!!!

I could have taken an upgrade (do not know to what category or cabin), but I really wanted to try an SC aft wrap, so the OBC was accepted.

Now I have $700 in OBC from this, $100 stock OBC, and $200 for booking onboard last cruise (plus a doulbe up offer was part of that). THANKS HAL!

DaveOKC

Archived