*THIS* is the Carnival that I remember ...

tef43

A 3 day cruise starting at $325 in 1985 dollars???

Making cruising more affordable is what has sent it mainstream. Now that it is mainstream is why you have all the options and competition between brands. The consumer wins, keep your streamers.

1985 commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BECwNurBbEQ

Waiters dancing with baked alaska on their heads.

Confetti and streamers at sailaway.

The list goes on and on ...

Notice the price of the cruise! 27 years later and you can still book an inside on a 7 day cruise for the same price with Early Saver. And people rage at all the cut backs. I wonder what they would charge if their fares had kept pace with inflation? I wonder how many of those who rage would still be able to sail?

I had a similar coversation just yesterday about inflation. I started driving in 86 and gas was only 75 cents a gallon. I paid over $5 a gallon the other day at the cheap station in town. $83 to fill my truck :/

Kathie Lee Gifford in a bikini? Lord strike me blind!
Count your blessings that they did not film a version for late-night cable up on the funnel deck. :eek:

I just found saw a statement from my first cruise way back in 1987. It was on the Jubilee, 7 day, sailing out of Miami in June. The total for 4 in an ocean view cabin was right around $3,000. It was $1,000 for the first two and $400 for the 3rd and 4th. We drove and I think they took off some from what it would have been if we had air fare included. The other cabin was a little cheaper because I think they had a child rate back then.

The Jubilee was a new ship at the time and we had a great cruise.

Come one, there's MUCH worse than KLG:

We really need a new emoticon on here. You know - the green faced pukey smiley.

I have paid less for my past two balcony staterooms (including airfare folks) than my first cruise in 1997 in an ocean view stateroom. However, my S&S card is quite a bit more - don't know if it is the drinks are more expensive or if I just simply turned into a lush.;)

People actually dressed nicely for dinner, no t shirts, ball caps, and flip flops in the MDR.

Today is the new CCL, anything goes because it's my vacation and I paid for it and I will wear what I want and what difference does it make.

Archived