*THIS* is the Carnival that I remember ...

tef43

Other remembrances of days gone by:

• The *free* rum swizzle parties.
  • Shooting clay pigeons off the fantail (can you imagine today's passengers with guns? :eek: ).
  • A midnight buffet spread in the MDR every night, and then at 1:30 am they would bring the leftovers up to Promenade for another graze-fest.
  • No 110V electrical outlets or TV in the cabins.

Yes, definitely the good old days, before the marketing whizkids mucked everything up.

How many of you that are crying about cutbacks would still be cruising if the price of that oceanview was triple what it is today? While I agree that the cutbacks are getting to be too much, I do think that Carnival should be applauded for being able to keep the cost of the cruise down. If you want to get all those things back, you are welcome to go sail on Seabourn or one of the other high end lines that still include many things that Carnival can't afford to include at their price points.

I'm actually getting VERY tired of the yesterday vs. today comparisons. I guess I could spend every waking hour comparing everything as it is today with how it was "back then" but what would be the point. I can remember gas for a quarter a gallon, 5 for a buck hamburgers, nickle candy bars, shoes for $1.99 a pair and my week's paycheck for $33.00 after taxes. Now people make that in an hour. Once upon a time it cost me $800 to fly to London and I was making $1.35 an hour.

I think people should be grateful that vacations are now affordable for everyone...not just the elite and the privileged. Sure there have been cutbacks but I'm glad that I don't have to pay for someone else's booz or fru-fru coffee or cokes 5 times a day. And now I can eat at a buffet as well as a dining room and don't have to sit with snooty patrons if I don't want to...I think I like mingling with the "normal" folks who are just glad they and their families can get away from the pressures of everyday life and be waited on and get food they normally wouldn't on a daily basis.

$325 in 1985 is equal to $696 in 2012.

And our cruise on the Tropicale in 1994 was $1086 in 2012 dollars! And that was for a lowly cabin, down in the Riviera deck.

That's what people that complain about the "cutbacks" don't realize! That they are getting a LITTLE less today, but at the same time, they are paying a LOT less!

I wish I could bring back the hair I had in 1985. :(

Me too and with far less grey!!

Tef: thanks for posting the video and helping us down memory lane. There's nothing wrong with a little nostalgia, it comes with the "getting older" territory. ;)

People actually dressed nicely for dinner, no t shirts, ball caps, and flip flops in the MDR.

Today is the new CCL, anything goes because it's my vacation and I paid for it and I will wear what I want and what difference does it make.

Sounds like NCL.

I miss those days, that's why I cruise less now. The only thing that could have been better would have to be if they showed the calypso band.

1985 commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BECwNurBbEQ

Waiters dancing with baked alaska on their heads.

Confetti and streamers at sailaway.

The list goes on and on ...

Archived