Things you would never wear.

I don't like it on anything at all!

Lace trim-I am not so gungho about but I like a blouse (and even some skirts) made of lace. Nothing elaborate otherwise just that the material is lace. I loved kate's wedding gown so much like Princess grace's gown and others from the 50's and 60's. I am glad to see lace as a material back for something besides nighties.

Now when I married 30 years ago my wedding gown had no lace whatsoever. I loved my gown and still do but it would not be the "in" thing now for sure. If I was young and marrying now I would want lace.

Lace trim-I am not so gungho about but I like a blouse (and even some skirts) made of lace. Nothing elaborate otherwise just that the material is lace. I loved kate's wedding gown so much like Princess grace's gown and others from the 50's and 60's. I am glad to see lace as a material back for something besides nighties.

Now when I married 30 years ago my wedding gown had no lace whatsoever. I loved my gown and still do but it would not be the "in" thing now for sure. If I was young and marrying now I would want lace.

Not keen on lace if it is like a doile (the kind of thing my grandmother used to sit her teapot on) but don't mind some of the dresses they bring out around the holiday season especially if they are black or purple.

Not keen on lace if it is like a doile (the kind of thing my grandmother used to sit her teapot on) but don't mind some of the dresses they bring out around the holiday season especially if they are black or purple.

What I like is no ruffles-just the material is lace-think Kate Middleton's wedding gown-not the trim on her sister's gown.

I want a red lace dress. I found a lace fabric I liked, but it was $56 for about two yards. That would make a nice dress, but I'm not willing to potentially ruin fabric that expensive.

I can understand- sometimes the vision is not the reality.

Perhaps you can find a dress similar to what you have in mind and try it on-then you will see if it works on your or not.

When it comes to clothing I never say never. I've often thought indignantly that I wouldn't be caught wearing x, only to find myself queueing up to buy it later. Who would have thought flouros for example would make a come-back and not restricted to just younger women too. I even own a pair of crocs like the picture above LOL.:D I love them. Admittedly I don't wear them anyway other than in the garden though:).

So, I watched a DVR episode of "The Chew" from yesterday. They were having an ugly holiday sweater day. Now I know why that kid is making a killing on cheesy holiday sweaters on Ebay, there must be a lot of ugly holiday sweater parties going on!

LOL! I saw that show too and really enjoyed it. I used to wear Christmas sweaters, but several years ago I read on here how much they are looked down on by many people, so I don't dare wear my beloved holiday sweaters anymore. I do wear fun holiday print pajammas to bed. (So there!):o

I don't like them with anything not long.

I don't on me. My daughter has a pair of boots that comes to her knees and a knee length dress she wears with them. It is one of those faux wrap style dresses with long sleeves. On HER it looks great-but she only wears a size 2 and she is still under 30. At her size and age we could wear a potato sack and look well.

• 2 weeks later...
LOL! I saw that show too and really enjoyed it. I used to wear Christmas sweaters, but several years ago I read on here how much they are looked down on by many people, so I don't dare wear my beloved holiday sweaters anymore. I do wear fun holiday print pajammas to bed. (So there!):o

It is a thing right now with the kids anyway. My boys' high school Christmas dance had an "Ugly Christmas Sweater" theme. Egads! The pictures are sooooooo funny!!! I think I used to own several of the sweaters the kids were wearing, and I donated them a few years ago. Wish I'd kept them now. I'd make a KILLING selling them!

Robin

OK so we all have our favourite dresses, shoes etc. but is there any item of clothing/foot/headware you wouldn't wear for any reason, maybe body shape, height, boob size bum/stomach, bingo wings and such like.

I will start with things that aren't in my closet.

Hoodie

Crocs - the big ugly ones

Ugg boots

Leggings

Anything I can't wear a bra with!

I do have a couple of hoodies, good for walking the door early in the morning or later in the evening when it's chilly--but I wouldn't take them on a cruise. Otherwise I agree with you. I'd also add car wash pants, just don't like the look of them and skinny jeans because I'm way too old to be seen in something like that.

You won't catch me wearing a fanny pack, either.

Well - I've said never before, and changed my mind...

As a girl of the "high waisted" 80's, I never thought I'd wear low-rise pants, but then tried some on and they were flattering. I only wear those that fit well and don't show , uh, backside when I sit down. I also swore I'd never wear boot cut, but again - they look better on me. I think the cut of a jean and what is flattering really depends on the shape of the person wearing them.

Bikinis - never wore them until my 30's because I found they supported the girls much better than a one piece - I just get them with higher bottoms so they cover my tummy more. I also get more "sporty" styles so they stay on in ocean waves.

Lastly - spaghetti strapped or strapless dresses. If they are formal - they are usually tight and fitted enough to not need a bra....

Crocs are perfect for the beach, but I do think they are beachwear and not everyday shoes. I have a pair I only wear in the sand.

I rarely notice what others are wearing unless it is pretty extreme, so this is just for me...

Anyway, here's my current "never" list:

Skinny or tapered jeans - they make my thighs and bottom look big

Ugg boots.... I just don't get it....

Stiletto heels - I'd fall over

Fish net tights - I couldn't pull them off

The "slutty" everything Halloween costumes.... I actually saw a "slutty" banana. Really..... I mean.... really???

Flip Flops - I hate the thing between the toes, and can't stand the "flippy floppy" thing

Elastic waist or drawstring pants.... never.... ever.... I have a rather flat stomach, but these make me look like I have a big ole' pooch in front.

Tall boots with knee length skirts... I know - but it makes me look shorter than I am

Fanny pack

Anything that could resemble PJ's out of the house

Mini skirts - not after 30 - on me anyway

Hair nets :)

Tight Yoga or tight stretch pants. Not even to the gym. TMI, in my opinion.

Those tank tops with shelf bras built in - they give me a "uni-b00b"

Anything that shows a LOT of cleavage -or is cut past where a bra line would be.

Backless dresses - never found one that was supportive enough

Polyester, matchy matchy outfits

Athletic shoes with capris or skirts - on me, this is fashion suicide

No tattoos, no crocs, flip-flop are ok at the pool but I hate hearing some woman slapping along as she walks, I have uggs but I wouldn't take them on a cruise.

Strapless anything, not enough to hold them up an I know this because I once made the unfortunate choice to exercise outdoors in a tube top which led to injuries to the man who ran off the jogging track when I came up from toe touches with a belt instead of a top.

And, you will never see me with a tan. I have fair skin and even though I grew up on the beach, I keep the sun off my skin. I've seen enough women who look like luggage from tanning. Everyone i know covers up and uses sunscreen. On cruises, It's funny too, when we Californians see someone with a deep tan, we are pretty sure that it is tourist from the Midwest who spent a month in the tanning bed.

No tattoos, no crocs, flip-flop are ok at the pool but I hate hearing some woman slapping along as she walks, I have uggs but I wouldn't take them on a cruise.

Strapless anything, not enough to hold them up an I know this because I once made the unfortunate choice to exercise outdoors in a tube top which led to injuries to the man who ran off the jogging track when I came up from toe touches with a belt instead of a top.

And, you will never see me with a tan. I have fair skin and even though I grew up on the beach, I keep the sun off my skin. I've seen enough women who look like luggage from tanning. Everyone i know covers up and uses sunscreen. On cruises, It's funny too, when we Californians see someone with a deep tan, we are pretty sure that it is tourist from the Midwest who spent a month in the tanning bed.

My chuckle for the day.:)

Pleated Pants. Only person I ever saw look good in them was Katherine Hepburn (but was there ever a moment she didn't look amazing?)

On another note, When I go clothes shopping I always take one thing in the dressing room that I am sure I will never wear or that I hate on first glance. Not surprisingly, most of the time my first reaction turned out valid, but every so often I discover a piece that really works great on me that I normally would never had given a second glance.

Pleated Pants. Only person I ever saw look good in them was Katherine Hepburn (but was there ever a moment she didn't look amazing?)

On another note, When I go clothes shopping I always take one thing in the dressing room that I am sure I will never wear or that I hate on first glance. Not surprisingly, most of the time my first reaction turned out valid, but every so often I discover a piece that really works great on me that I normally would never had given a second glance.

Yes, a woman needs to be tall and slim for them to work.

I hardly ever try on things I feel would not work on me but I am good at thinking something would work and finding it is a disaster. I do need to try things on and make sure.

My probelm is my arms and legs are short in the petite size area but my body is not. Some things like shorting a sleeve is not that hard-but the neckline being too big is not an easy alteration when I am looking at misses size. The petite size is too short wasted on me and looks goofy.

That is why I do not do well to buy clothing on line. A few things have worked for me-but more often than not it is a return-or a should have been returned. Because it is harder to return sometimes I keep stuff I shouldn't and I end up donating things I have hardly worn. I guess I should not buy clothing online.

Yes, I am faired skinned too-my mother's mostly Irish blood shows in me for sure-but I have dark eyes and hair so when I was younger I would tan because I seemed too pale in comparison. I stopped around age 30 when I noticed the begining of crow's feet and a few years later I developed a strong sensitvely to the sun which has worsened over the years-I could not sunbathe even if I wanted to now.

I will say this-I looked much younger than my real age until I hit my late forties. Even in my early/ mid fifites I looked well for my age. Health issues make me show my age more now-not in wrinkles-but I stay bloated (Meds) which I feel looks worse than wrinkles. I guess at some point our age is going to tell on us in one way or another. I am nearing 60 so I can't complain. It has been good for me until the last 5 or 6 years.

• 2 weeks later...

- Crocs (the big ugly ones with holes in them)

- T-shirts (unisex or male)

- Character t-shirts, tourist t-shirts, what I tend to see as "tacky" t-shirts (just my personal taste)

- Fanny packs

- Socks with sandals

- Hose with open toed shoes or sandals

- Pajamas or robes in public

- "trainer" tennis shoes unless I'm doing something actually active and then never with huge, long socks

- revealing my bra straps

- Super short shorts

Archived