Things you would never wear.

Don't you think that some people have "magic mirrors" at home that make everything they put on look absolutely stunning! :eek: That on top of an over-exhuberant sales clerk, the 50 yo probably thought she looked adorable!:p:rolleyes:

I put it down to the fact she was British and we don't see much sun or get a chance to wear little numbers like this;). Or maybe for a bet. Oh got to stop getting cruel now;)

Don't you think that some people have "magic mirrors" at home that make everything they put on look absolutely stunning! :eek: That on top of an over-exhuberant sales clerk, the 50 yo probably thought she looked adorable!:p:rolleyes:

OK Jan - I just turned 50 and I'm going to post some pics in my "cruise dresses" when I get home and you can give me your opinion. :o I'm size 0-2, so hopefully you won't be too grossed out HA!!

And BTW I also do a part time retail gig in ladies fashion, and I would NEVER tell someone to buy something that didn't look nice on them - I certainly wouldn't be mean, but I'd suggest we try other styles or maybe say the cut or color of the garment may not be the best option.

That's one thing I like about my favorite store, the sales clerks will nicely let you know that maybe something else might be more flattering. ;)

I don't like yo wear anything uncomfortable:

heavy earrings

itchy underwear

strapless bras

headache-inducing perfumes

high necklines

too tight pants

high heels

pancake flat shoes

super strappy sandals

thongs (neither the ones between the toes nor the ones between the cheeks)

real fur (I keep thinking about the poor animal)

pantyhose (they pinch my fat)

anything with tummy ot booty hanging out

I do wear capris, leggings, jeggings, skinny-ish jeans, etc. I am tall, apple shaped, and have thin legs in my plus size body. With the right tops, these things are very flattering on me. They are however, not flattering to the majority of women I see wearing them. I also have a flat butt, so the flap pocjets are great on me. i have seriously considered stitching the flap down, because they tend to misbehave. I love hoodies, too. The weather in Kentucky is too fickle, and goodies are great to have around.

Seen something on an tourist yesterday out shopping that shouldn't be seen outside imo!

One of these short playsuits that you put on 4 year old not ladies in their 50's, it was not a good look.

It was along the lines of this.

So would you or wouldn't you wear one of these. (I think I might know the answer already)!

As a swimsuit coverup possibly but nothing else on anyone ove 16- I certainly would not wear it out shopping,etc.and no I would not look well in that for sure-but I do not look well in pareos either. (too thick around the middle) What I used for a swimsuit coverup the last couple of cruises was yoga pants capri length with a matching yoga top that fell to the top of my hips in length.

BTW I am pushing 60 (59 this coming July) a size 14 and am 5'5" in height. However I doubt I would have worn that past age 16 even for a coverup. Back then I was a size 4- 6. (which is 0-2 in today's sizes) However, there are many things I wore back then I would not dream of wearing now even if I was 40 pounds slimmer. Nothing makes a gal look old faster than wearing clothing meant for someone younger. That 50 something woman you saw may have been 30 something and the silly romper made her appear older. Perhaps she was not that heavy in weight either-just thick around the middle from having c-sections so she no longer has the ten inch ratio/ diference in size between her waist and hips. The wrong clothing for you can make you look larger than you are if it emphasises your problem areas. (exactly why I will not wear pareos)

1. Thongs..........both types!

2. Mini skirts and/or shorts above the knee (you're welcome)

3. Bikinis (again, you're welcome!)

4. Colors: orange, yellow, coral, pastels (and white is just a spill magnet)

5. Heels higher than 2-1/2 inches (plantar fasciitis)

6. Panty hose and/or Spanx

7. Pleather or vinyl or 100% polyester

8. Animal fur (looks better on the animal)

9. Swimsuit cover-ups that don't actually cover anything

10. Jumpers, rompers, overalls

11. Birkenstocks or Crocks or Danskos

12. Gobs of makeup

13. Chain mail clothing (sorry, couldn't resist; is that photo still here somewhere? Hard to fathom how someone thought that was appropriate formal wear for a cruise :eek:

I don't wear anything that I wore the first time it was in fashion.

How very sad that I'm now old enough that all this stuff has come back. In the '80s I used to wear skirts so short that I couldn't walk up the stairs in them, a day-glo orange dress that was made up of straps (with matching stilettos!), stirrup pants (must confess I still love those), and black bodysuits with just a longish jacket and riding boots. All of this stuff is back now.

So I wear none of the above, but more than what I no longer wear anything that attracts too much attention (yup - like the old Coco Chanel trick). I try to emulate people like Grace Kelly & Audrey Hepburn, but I have this thing for anything shiny ... I really like shiny things ... not just jewellery but also in shoes. And maybe some sequins on a tank top to wear to dinner. :p

Seen something on an tourist yesterday out shopping that shouldn't be seen outside imo!

One of these short playsuits that you put on 4 year old not ladies in their 50's, it was not a good look.

It was along the lines of this.

So would you or wouldn't you wear one of these. (I think I might know the answer already)!

My grandmother changed into those every night in the early 80's - she was only in her late 40's, but it still wasn't a great look. She had pink, aqua, white and blue. :eek:

1. Thongs..........both types!

2. Mini skirts and/or shorts above the knee (you're welcome)

3. Bikinis (again, you're welcome!)

4. Colors: orange, yellow, coral, pastels (and white is just a spill magnet)

5. Heels higher than 2-1/2 inches (plantar fasciitis)

6. Panty hose and/or Spanx

7. Pleather or vinyl or 100% polyester

8. Animal fur (looks better on the animal)

9. Swimsuit cover-ups that don't actually cover anything

10. Jumpers, rompers, overalls

11. Birkenstocks or Crocks or Danskos

12. Gobs of makeup

13. Chain mail clothing (sorry, couldn't resist; is that photo still here somewhere? Hard to fathom how someone thought that was appropriate formal wear for a cruise :eek:

I found the infamous chain mail dress - enjoy)it is down to about posting 6 on the page, but a classic!)

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1564326

I found the infamous chain mail dress - enjoy)it is down to about posting 6 on the page, but a classic!)

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1564326

O

M

G

that is classic AND classy.

We once saw a very old couple on turn of the century costume wear. I didnt know if they meant it to be a costume or if they were wearing it seriously. She had a crinoline (sp?) and when she sat down you could see the hoola hoops under it. She also have a very elaborate parasole.

but they were old, they get to wear what they want. Anything goes when you make it to see 3 centuries. And I am not being mean about that.

My grandmother who probably had sex all of twice in her life would sing us all these horribly dirty songs when she was in her 70's. It took her that long to become a pervert. LOL. I love that woman. I hope to be the same way one day.

How very sad that I'm now old enough that all this stuff has come back. In the '80s I used to wear skirts so short that I couldn't walk up the stairs in them, a day-glo orange dress that was made up of straps (with matching stilettos!), stirrup pants (must confess I still love those), and black bodysuits with just a longish jacket and riding boots. All of this stuff is back now.

Are stirrup pants really back? Somehow, I've missed that. But I'm out of the work force right now (by choice), so there's probably a few things I've missed fashion-wise. I like to stick to classic/timeless types of things for the most part.

Hi LibRat, yes that chain mail link is still around somewhere, someone posted the link in another forum not long ago. That was truly mind-boggling, wasn't it?

Absolutely! You see a lot of interesting things on a cruise, but that one has to be some kind of record for those who were on the cruise with them :)

• 5 months later...
Thong underwear.

Crocs.

Spike heels

Leggings as pants..

Cowboy boots with a sun dress.

I think Cowboy boots and sundress looks cute - but only if you're under 40 and have great legs - and you live somewhere where people actually wear cowboy boots for the purpose they are intended. If your boots have never seen the wet 'mud' of a barn then it's not allowed. :D

Archived