Things you would never wear.

What is the correct way to wear skinny jeans?

A lot of people are under the impression that you have to be skinny to wear skinny jeans, but that's not true at all. Skinny jeans are actually really flattering on heavier people because they fit to the body and don't add extra "girth" like wide leg jeans do.

What really makes or breaks skinny jeans are the shoes you wear with them. Skinny jeans aren't meant to be worn with Nike running shoes. Either pair with a slim shoe like a ballet flat or pump, tuck into boots, or cuff up and wear with a slim tennis shoe like a Ked or Tom.

There are a lot of articles online about how to wear skinny jeans with different body types if you're interested. Here's one I found informative - http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/2012/02/how-to-wear-skinny-jeans.html

A lot of people are under the impression that you have to be skinny to wear skinny jeans, but that's not true at all. Skinny jeans are actually really flattering on heavier people because they fit to the body and don't add extra "girth" like wide leg jeans do.

What really makes or breaks skinny jeans are the shoes you wear with them. Skinny jeans aren't meant to be worn with Nike running shoes. Either pair with a slim shoe like a ballet flat or pump, tuck into boots, or cuff up and wear with a slim tennis shoe like a Ked or Tom.

There are a lot of articles online about how to wear skinny jeans with different body types if you're interested. Here's one I found informative - http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/2012/02/how-to-wear-skinny-jeans.html

Sorry, I must disagree with you on this one. Here is a perfect illustration of a "non-slim" person in skinny jeans. I don't care what kind of shoes they wear, this is not flattering!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRc6i3vOfCKIKid1BhC5h_yeEIFB_gSKXTKDPtgPQNh4VQMqhBszQ

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2OrTYVpAIpzvwOmerFN1K8-TaPY6CFDpLxTJYTmiJ447gdP4G

I think there should be a rule that if your legs still touch each other at the knees, you should "JUST SAY NO" to skinny jeans! :)

Sorry, I must disagree with you on this one. Here is a perfect illustration of a "non-slim" person in skinny jeans. I don't care what kind of shoes they wear, this is not flattering!

I think there should be a rule that if your legs still touch each other at the knees, you should "JUST SAY NO" to skinny jeans! :)

Perfect bad examples. The first is just an ill-fitting pair of jeans that's a size or two too small. The second is a bright color without a good balance on top. I would argue that when paired with a blazer or less fitted top, the bottom example would look better.

This is a great example of balancing the skinny bottom with a brightly colored, loose-fitting top.

plus-size-skinny-jean-look-plus-size-style.jpg

Tucked into boots is a good look.

plus-size-casual-blue-jeans.jpg

Color isn't a no-no.

03-03-12101edited-460x693.jpg

Color can be really good.

08-26-12536edited.jpg

The last two pictures are from a blogger, Curly Girl Chic - http://www.curvygirlchic.com/. She's a great example of how you don't have to be a size 00 to pull off all of the latest fashion trends. Not only that, but she's creative and comes up with some amazing outfits. There are plenty more skinny jean examples on her blog.

To each their own.

Though I would point out that while we're hating from behind our computer screens, Allison Teng, Ashley Falcon, and other "curvy" fashion bloggers are being recognized for their style and actually making money from it.

I am seriously not a "hater"! I am curvy too! :o Not a plus size, but not a small size.

OK, now for a little re-direction. Plus size girls need and want to look stylish. I get that. The plus size market is directed towards a much older clientele. I will concede that if you are plus size and under 30, you can try the balancing act more successfully than older women, but it needs to be done well and for all circumstances, not just poses. :)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.... I'm just giving mine.

To each their own.

Though I would point out that while we're hating from behind our computer screens, Allison Teng, Ashley Falcon, and other "curvy" fashion bloggers are being recognized for their style and actually making money from it.

No hating here, I just know what looks good to me and what doesn't. Never heard of any of those people.

I'm with Laurie on this one - it may be "the style" but its not flattering. I'm not heavy by any means, though I have been, but I'm honest enough about my own body to see when something just doesn't look good on me. Wearing something that accentuates your biggest figure flaws is just not the best idea.

I see some of these heavier girls and young women walking down the street in what is a hot style that just shows off cellulite and fat rolls and I want to ask them if they looked in a mirror that morning. I also want to explain to them that while it is A style, it's not the ONLY style.

The women pictured are posed nicely and only from the front, but they'd look better in other, wider legged pants. Yes the people you mention are making money but that's because our society is growing ever-fatter (to be completely un-PC) and there is a market.

I'm with Laurie on this one - it may be "the style" but its not flattering. I'm not heavy by any means, though I have been, but I'm honest enough about my own body to see when something just doesn't look good on me. Wearing something that accentuates your biggest figure flaws is just not the best idea.

I see some of these heavier girls and young women walking down the street in what is a hot style that just shows off cellulite and fat rolls and I want to ask them if they looked in a mirror that morning. I also want to explain to them that while it is A style, it's not the ONLY style.

The women pictured are posed nicely and only from the front, but they'd look better in other, wider legged pants. Yes the people you mention are making money but that's because our society is growing ever-fatter (to be completely un-PC) and there is a market.

I agree -- I don't think skinny jeans are flattering on anyone. Better on some people than on others, sure, but I think pretty much everyone would look better in another cut. Perhaps they're ok on people who are not only skinny but have a very straight body shape. They're also much less forgiving of not fitting exactly right. If they're even a little too big/small/long/etc. they don't lay over the legs correctly and look even worse.

I just want to chime in a bit about skinny jeans - it has more to do with your shape than your weight. Your clothing should make you look proportional, if you aren't built that way. Skinny jeans can often create a triangular effect, where the body seems smaller as you go down. If that is the case, it probably isn't flattering. Wearing them with knee high boots often helps to offset that.

My daughter is built rather straight and petite. She wears them with ballet flats, and it seems to work for her.

I don't think this is about hating or anything. It's about wearing what flatters. If you choose to wear something non-flattering, it won't look all that good. That goes for any height, weight, etc.

I'm top heavy, and border line plus. I wear a 16 or more on top, but a 12 on the bottom. If I wear skinny jeans, I have my boots on, and maybe some longer layers on top, that are semi fitted. It isn't my best look.

I actually love the look of skinny jeans, but they do need to be on a specific body type to look good. I could wear them, especially now that I've pretty much regained my "college" legs and butt since I've been working with a personal trainer since February, but they're just not me. I'm curvy and I think they look best on a straighter, lankier body type.

It also depends on the person finding the right skinny jeans for their figure. I have hips and a butt with a small waist. Jeggings don't look right on me but Old Navy diva cut skinnies look good on me. I wear them with a long sweater and boots and they look good!

Do those of you who don't wear skinny jeans also not wear leggings? I can't figure out the difference.

I am a size 14 and carry extra weight in my tummy. I have small boobs, short legs, and a round...er...booty. I think I look like an ice cream cone in leggings if I don't wear a tunic! But that's just me. I like the look on most people, even larger women. I suppose I envy them their longer legs!

And I've tried on skinny jeans, but most of them won't fit my stupid man-calves. I'd prefer skinny jeans to leggings because of their heavier weight and their POCKETS (which is a whole 'nother thread) but I've yet to find a pair to fit my calves. :mad:

I really, REALLY try hard not to judge people for what they are wearing, because I am sure I wear things other people see and think, "Egad! I can't believe she's wearing that!" (Tie dye at theme parks comes to mind.) But today I saw a woman who made me think of this thread. She was wearing leggings so formfitting, I could see every bump and bulge, including the camel toe in the front and the 'thong look' behind. She might as well have been naked! Her shirt was short, and she kept yanking it down to cover the top of the leggings. I was both fascinated and horrified. And I felt so guilty for thinking she looked TERRIBLE! (Although she did have on really nice, knee-high boots!) But I reaffirmed my comittment to never wear leggings without a tunic that covers my ample behind. :D

Robin

Do those of you who don't wear skinny jeans also not wear leggings? I can't figure out the difference.

I am a size 14 and carry extra weight in my tummy. I have small boobs, short legs, and a round...er...booty. I think I look like an ice cream cone in leggings if I don't wear a tunic! But that's just me. I like the look on most people, even larger women. I suppose I envy them their longer legs!

And I've tried on skinny jeans, but most of them won't fit my stupid man-calves. I'd prefer skinny jeans to leggings because of their heavier weight and their POCKETS (which is a whole 'nother thread) but I've yet to find a pair to fit my calves. :mad:

I really, REALLY try hard not to judge people for what they are wearing, because I am sure I wear things other people see and think, "Egad! I can't believe she's wearing that!" (Tie dye at theme parks comes to mind.) But today I saw a woman who made me think of this thread. She was wearing leggings so formfitting, I could see every bump and bulge, including the camel toe in the front and the 'thong look' behind. She might as well have been naked! Her shirt was short, and she kept yanking it down to cover the top of the leggings. I was both fascinated and horrified. And I felt so guilty for thinking she looked TERRIBLE! (Although she did have on really nice, knee-high boots!) But I reaffirmed my comittment to never wear leggings without a tunic that covers my ample behind. :D

Robin

I know, It's like the train wreck.... can't look.... can't look away!:eek: It also kills me when people think they're wearing leggings, but they're really just wearing footless tights, so their underwear shows through the too sheer fabric. :rolleyes:

Ice cream cone shape is a perfect descriptor for what many look like in skinny jeans. I think straight legged jeans are the most slimming. and flattering.

I used to have some very cute leggings and tunics back when I was in Elementary school. If I have owned a pair in the 20 years since then (which I can't remember right now...) they were definitely not worn outside a gym/sports setting.

I will wear yoga pants for working out, around the house, to the grocery store, etc. although I buy them just a little large so they're form fitting but not squishing. I think they look a little better because the lower half is looser. It's not the part where they're form fitting at the hips/thighs that I think is unattractive, it's the ones that have no shape all all of their own and are tight along the whole leg that I don't like the look of.

I found a pair of shorts in my drawer I didn't know I had. I didn't purchase them, they came from my SIL's discards (she buys so much most of it has price tags still attached). They have back pocket flaps, I can't stand back pocket flaps.

Mostly because they stick out, are hard to press down and every time I have bought a pair, the button or metal closure falls off soon, leaving the pocket flap to flap away. They may work for women with very small hineys, but the majority of women I see with pants/jeans/shorts/skirts with pocket flaps only succeed in making their backsides look larger. There are too many other choices out there than having to purchase clothing with annoying pocket flaps attached.

So, even though I will keep these shorts and wear them (fine for working job #1) the moment the pocket flaps start giving me trouble, into the Goodwill or trash they will go. Add pocket flaps to my "things I would never wear except if I get them free :p" list.

I don't hate on anyone else's fashion (just my own if I see a view of myself that terrifies me). I'm just a bit amused more than anything else. We're all so different and so much alike at the same time (homogenized choices...we all shop in the same places). Even people who are trying to express themselves with odd clothing or tattoos are becoming the same, nothing is eye catching any longer. To hate on someone because of their clothing is just silly. I think I've been around too long, none of it impresses me much.

Although, I am impressed with a person, male or female, that can look great and sophisticated and classic with seemingly little effort. Someone whose photo can be shown years from now and it would be hard to pin down a decade.

Archived