Things you would never wear.

Let's be honest some men do not need to be with their shirts off much less in a speedo. They are so critcal of the ladies in their swimsuits, but they really need to take a look at theirselves. Now I am trying to get that negative image out of my head and think of those who could be recruited to be a Chippendale dancer!!!!

AGREE!!!! Men should wear shirts and no one should wear speedos. Sorry, it's just too much information. :rolleyes: Also, to be quite fair, women should wear supportive, padded bras. ;)

I love flip flops with casual outfits and I like v-neck fitted t-shirts but won't wear a round neck, boxy one. I love capris.

My personal "not ever" list

No:

fanny packs

polyester or other "travel wear" synthetic fabrics, ever.

sequins, lame, feathers or bling jewelry or accessories

large purses, particularly ones with logos and/or huge buckles/metal doodads that looks as if women are smuggling microwave ovens

plastic dress shoes; Jellies, etc.

low-riding, crotch-strangling jeans

shorts (my legs are too thin)

bikini

thongs

Croc, Birkenstocks and any Flintsone-inspired footwear that looks like large rooks on my feet. I am a USA 4.5 narrow; I'd look like a middle-age circus clown.

hats - they ALL look ridiculous on me

logos on anything except sneakers or jeans

Christmas sweatshirts

White dress shoes

European sneakers - the ones that look like bowling shoes

Super-pointy shoes

Super high-heeled "kitten with a whip" shoes

Puffy jackets or coats

Push-up and/or padded bra. I am 105 pounds soaking wet in a fur coat just after Thanksgiving dinner. I'd be fooling no one and I like my 34 B's just fine.

Peek-a-boo, see-through or anything that looks like it came from a hooker's garage sale.

Last but not least:

While they are not clothing, a real or fake tan or blinding white, over-bleached teeth will never be seen on me.

Having said all that, I do not care one iota about what others wear and barely notice other people's clothing unless it is WAY over the top, etc.

I should have said lined bras, not padded. I think they are called tee shirt bra.

I see no reason to wear those, either. There's nothing wrong with nipples. My boyfriend would be very unhappy if I wore a lined bra, and I would be, too.

I see no reason to wear those, either. There's nothing wrong with nipples. My boyfriend would be very unhappy if I wore a lined bra, and I would be, too.

To each their own; my hubby would have a fit if I allowed either daughter or myself to go around with our "headlights" showing. Of course my hubby would not be caught in speedos either. Although he looks quite nice with his shirt off!

Having said all that, I do not care one iota about what others wear and barely notice other people's clothing unless it is WAY over the top, etc.

I wanted to make it clear that my 'not ever' list is also my own personal list. I don't care if anyone else wears those things. I used to, but as I've gotten older, I've mellowed. Now I just like to people watch and see what others are wearing, but I try not to judge them for it.

But it doesn't mean I will wear the things on my not-ever list because I'm self-conscious or whatever. :D

Robin

I wanted to make it clear that my 'not ever' list is also my own personal list. I don't care if anyone else wears those things. I used to, but as I've gotten older, I've mellowed. Now I just like to people watch and see what others are wearing, but I try not to judge them for it.

But it doesn't mean I will wear the things on my not-ever list because I'm self-conscious or whatever. :D

Robin

Having three teenagers, you have to learn to not judge because they do have some friends with parents or lack of parents that allows some of their friends to look really out there! God loves them all, but our children will dress decently and age appropriately until they mature and reach a point in their lives where they pay their own bills. (Or so we hope and pray!)

I think you can have standards for oneself that you do not apply to others.

I know a former Chippendales dancer - he wears board shorts ;)

Ah, but I don't think we were saying that Chippendale dancers HAVE TO wear Speedos...just that they are ALLOWED to in our estimation. :)

I actually think I'm a little too conservative to be comfortable with a boyfriend or husband of mine wearing Speedos, even if he was that comfortable.

And yes, men on average seem to have a much higher estimation of their physical attractiveness than women do...I wonder if we spend too much time complimenting them??

Ah, but I don't think we were saying that Chippendale dancers HAVE TO wear Speedos...just that they are ALLOWED to in our estimation. :)

I actually think I'm a little too conservative to be comfortable with a boyfriend or husband of mine wearing Speedos, even if he was that comfortable.

And yes, men on average seem to have a much higher estimation of their physical attractiveness than women do...I wonder if we spend too much time complimenting them??

I think we treat them the way we want to be treated so we may compliment them too much! ROFL :D

I would like to know what is wrong with tattoos that some of you said you would never wear? I have a small tattoo on my breast. I got it when I was 51. I understand about the tats that cover a persons body or that is huge, but what's wrong with small ones. I only have the small one and have no desire to get any more.

I think I can cover most of EVERYONE'S list by saying.....anything that would get you on People of WalMart....LOL

I would like to know what is wrong with tattoos that some of you said you would never wear? I have a small tattoo on my breast. I got it when I was 51. I understand about the tats that cover a persons body or that is huge, but what's wrong with small ones. I only have the small one and have no desire to get any more.

No one said anything was wrong with tattoos - just that they wouldn't wear (or in this case, have) one. I don't have any, and doubt I ever will, but a great friend of mine has full sleeves and plenty more scattered around. I think she looks gorgeous. It's just not MY look. I am very scared of anything permanent, besides the fact that they just don't really mesh with my style. Doesn't mean I think they are wrong or would judge someone else for having them.

Robin

I pretty much feel the same way, we all change over the years with our definitions of what we feel looks good on ourselves.

I admire people who dress in a different fashion than myself, regardless of age. I don't so much "judge" them as much as categorize them and I think we all do that to a certain extent without even thinking about it. Whatever their style, old fashioned, biker, hip hop, glamour girl, etc...it all makes people watching more interesting.

What I don't admire is sloppy and unkempt. But you never know, I've had guys come into the store in frayed T's, sloppy shorts and flip flops that have seen better days only to have them make huge purchases, lots of time with cash or titanium AMEX cards. While you don't admire their clothing, you learn to not assume anything about people.

BINGO! :D

Seriously, another no for me is thong underwear or thong swimsuit bottoms for women. I don't want to see that much of your butt. I don't even want to see my OWN butt, let alone yours. And no matter how much you think you have a nice butt, it's just not a good look. It looks painful, and it looks like you're flossing your butt.

That's a big NO from me. I'll never wear them, ever.

Not all Crocs are those big bulby looking things, check out the web site for the cute sandals. I especially like the Patricia style with a 1 inch wedge heel.

For those that used to wear pantihose and have some stashed in a drawer "just in case", check them out before you try to wear them. I found out the hard way that the elastic deteriorates over time and they just slid to the floor. :D

The one thing I can't stand to wear are pants that sit lower on the waist, that's just where my belly starts the downward slope and so do the pants. Luckily it seems the manufacturers are at least giving choices now, for a while it was all low or mid rise.

Turtlenecks, hate them, feel like I'm choking. But that may be one of the things I re-evaluate in a few years when my neck is all crepey.

Funny, I think I bought or at least tried on everything mentioned. Wish I had some of those fashion mistake $$ back. And I just realized I still have 2 bikini's in a drawer, at 57 it really is time to let them go isn't it? ;)

Not all Crocs are those big bulby looking things, check out the web site for the cute sandals. I especially like the Patricia style with a 1 inch wedge heel.

For those that used to wear pantihose and have some stashed in a drawer "just in case", check them out before you try to wear them. I found out the hard way that the elastic deteriorates over time and they just slid to the floor. :D

The one thing I can't stand to wear are pants that sit lower on the waist, that's just where my belly starts the downward slope and so do the pants. Luckily it seems the manufacturers are at least giving choices now, for a while it was all low or mid rise.

Turtlenecks, hate them, feel like I'm choking. But that may be one of the things I re-evaluate in a few years when my neck is all crepey.

Funny, I think I bought or at least tried on everything mentioned. Wish I had some of those fashion mistake $$ back. And I just realized I still have 2 bikini's in a drawer, at 57 it really is time to let them go isn't it? ;)

Not if the bikinis still fit and you're comfortable with them! :)

I think I was commenting on the irony: some of those show we do not want to see in Speedos are wearing them while those that we would not mind seeing in Speedos are wearing the board shorts.

I DID see him once in Speedos - some friends got him to do the ever-cheesy pop out of a fake birthday cake for a friend. Michelangelo would have been lucky to have him as a model :D

What I don't admire is sloppy and unkempt. But you never know, I've had guys come into the store in frayed T's, sloppy shorts and flip flops that have seen better days only to have them make huge purchases, lots of time with cash or titanium AMEX cards. While you don't admire their clothing, you learn to not assume anything about people.

I know what you mean! The owner of my husband's company is 35 and a multi-millionaire, and he dresses like a kid with the frayed jeans, backwards caps, etc. Shrug. You really can never know.

Robin

Just goes to show that people on CC are only a small percentage of cruisers in general.;):)

Having said that, it seems that wearing Crocs is dying down around here, along with flip flops, since there aren't the numerous threads asking if it's OK to wear them to dinner, etc.

I'm mot sure that the flip flop wearing is dying down. I just think that manufacturers have dressed up their flip flops a bit and people are calling them sandles.

I'm sure I'll get heat for saying this, but in my opinion flip flops are flop flops. Whether they are "blingy" or whether you payed over $30 for them. Our society in general has become so casual that people think if you add some sequins or gemstones to anything that it takes it out of the casual category and into the dressy category. Instead of seeing that its just a nicer casual look.

I just have a thing against the piece between my toes and that clompy floppy sound and won't buy them for any reason.

My "I don't wear list" varies ... my weight goes up and down with my health and forced steroid use which affects my weight

but these are always on my list

flip flops

crew neck - boxy t-shirt (I do have a few scoop neck T's that are a stretchier knit that are cut to fit a womans shape to layer with things)

flood water length pants sold as capris

most flats (they kill my feet and calves)

dresses/tops cut so that a bra can't be worn under them

I'm really struggling this fall with clothing issues due to health problems this past year that have caused quite a bit of weight gain. I didn't even feel comfortable in my tankini on my most recent cruise and left my cover up skirt on most of the time.

Flip flops are standard here at the beach. We wear them unless there is snow on the ground, which is rare! I take them off as I climb into bed and put them on when I get up! :)

I don't have any that are jeweled, to me that's an oxymoron, but I reluctantly put on "real shoes" if I have to dress up or for excursions that involve miles of walking. (I do carry my flip flops in a ziplock bag in my day pack for sightseeing in case my touring shoes start to cause a blister.)

I struggle to find closed toes shoes when it is raining here. I wear all variations of flip flops and sandals when I am not working. It is also a real bind if it is cold for one or two days in winter and I have to find something to wear on my feet.

I bought two more pairs of flip flops for a recent cruise, but when I think of flip flops I am not talking about those really flat cheap rubber flip flops but a nice pair of Margaritaville ones and some funkier ones with a slight wedge and chunks of gold strapping, oh that doesn't sound nice and I am not describing it well but there are quite nice for just kicking around in by the pool area.

I also don't worry about the bit in between your toes, I think you get used to it but my Mum hates it and can't wear them, I do think it is a state of mind sometimes.

I struggle to find closed toes shoes when it is raining here. I wear all variations of flip flops and sandals when I am not working. It is also a real bind if it is cold for one or two days in winter and I have to find something to wear on my feet.

I bought two more pairs of flip flops for a recent cruise, but when I think of flip flops I am not talking about those really flat cheap rubber flip flops but a nice pair of Margaritaville ones and some funkier ones with a slight wedge and chunks of gold strapping, oh that doesn't sound nice and I am not describing it well but there are quite nice for just kicking around in by the pool area.

I also don't worry about the bit in between your toes, I think you get used to it but my Mum hates it and can't wear them, I do think it is a state of mind sometimes.

For me - my minding when OTHERS wear flip flops is a state of mind. I work in a law office and it irritates me to hear co-workers flip-flopping down the hall (but I do get warning they are coming).

On the other hand (foot?) my not wearing them is more a state of foot! Because of multiple foot surgeries my ability to grip with my toes is very limited. For the same reason I don't wear backless shoes.

Archived