Things you would never wear.

For me - my minding when OTHERS wear flip flops is a state of mind. I work in a law office and it irritates me to hear co-workers flip-flopping down the hall (but I do get warning they are coming).

I'm going to add heel-dragging to this. It's not something to not wear, but kind of fits. If your shoes are so big that your heels drag, get smaller ones. On the other hand, if you are so lazy that you can't be bothered to pick your heels up...well, I just don't know what to say to you. Just pick your stinkin' heels up!! (I'd really like to use stronger language.)

Rompers/Jumpsuits - a very VERY tiny percentage of the population can wear them (and I am not one of the blessed ones) and look decent, and even then it's just not a style I like.

Booties - I have grown somewhat used to them on other people, still hate them on me.

The platform heels that are all the rage now - Can this trend die please? I hate that all of the would-be cute heels in stores now have an extra inch or two on the bottom. I'm 5'10" - the regular heel is tall enough!

Sweatpants/PJs/etc outside of the house.

Acid-washed denim - enough said.

I'm with you Girlfriend. I'm 6' tall and do not need platforms. Ever. Please make normal shoes cute again. I used to wear high heels, then married my DH who is 5'9" on a good day.. Gone are the heels.. (sigh)

I would like to know what is wrong with tattoos that some of you said you would never wear? I have a small tattoo on my breast. I got it when I was 51. I understand about the tats that cover a persons body or that is huge, but what's wrong with small ones. I only have the small one and have no desire to get any more.

I think I can cover most of EVERYONE'S list by saying.....anything that would get you on People of WalMart....LOL

There's nothing wrong with them, just that I don't like the look of them. It's an aesthetic about what I think looks good, not what's right or wrong. That does for small ones or large body-covering ones - what they are or how large they are isn't what matters, I just don't like the look of drawings on skin.

As another poster said, my "would not wear" list is what I personally wouldn't wear, not what I think anyone else should or shouldn't wear. They can wear whatever they want and I (usually) don't judge them for it. The only times I will judge them are when people choose to wear something that is racist or prejudicial against a religion or other identifiable group (eg gay-bashing). Otherwise, wear whatever clothes in whatever colours or styles you like, covering or uncovering whatever body parts you like. Doesn't matter to me, and I hope my opinion on what you're wearing doesn't matter to you.

My personal "no wear" list:

Athletic shoes with anything but workout clothes ( I have Converse Jack Purcell sneakers to wear with my none workout clothes)

Fanny packs

Big t- shirts ( I like fitted tees from Banana Republic / J.crew etc)

Anything that makes a muffin top

Anything that has material that shows off bumps or rolls

Anything that has stones or sequins stitched to it ( there are some exceptions here , depending on the quality and style)

Polyster pants

Garish prints ( this can be subjective)

Plastic/gel "invisible " bra straps

Plastic shoes

Fake brandname accessories

Someone here mentioned horizontal stripes...I love them! Have a huge collection of " sailor" stripes. Not into platform shoes. i love sandals , ballet flats and converse style tennies.

Long fingernails

I agree with those who say no to crocs and uggs.

I hate the look of cowboy books with shorts or sundresses.

Among my personal list of NO 's:

One-shoulder dresses or tops

Stiletto heels or any other shoes which kill the feet

Yoga pants as regular (non-workout or lounge) clothing

Thong underwear

Holey jeans

Orange, brown, mauve or any muted color

Very low-rise pants

Tight turtlenecks

False Eyelashes

Large designer logos

I know it's a list of only our personal "no no's" :) but I love polka dots, especially on scarves.

I personally don't love polka dots, but my best friend does. She's an antique dealer and her other friends are all the arty-boutique-y sort, and they all dress eclectically. Her trademark is polka dots. They're all so very confident! I think confidence makes a huge difference in what you 'can' wear. Maybe it's just me? I don't have a lot of confidence about what I wear (hence my trolling this and other sites for advice) or maybe I'd branch out more and have my own personal 'style'. Just thinking out loud. :)

Robin

My favorite Blog, The Vivienne Files, did an article about dots. How could you not love these fun things? I do agree you could get carried away, ala Minnie! :)

dots+page+4.jpg

dots+page+3.jpg

Gorgeous stuff. I'm with you: how could anybody not like polka dots? I think nothing looks like gorgeous weather than a lovely, crisp polka dot dress, preferably white on navy or white on red. Love, love, love, polka dots.

I personally don't love polka dots, but my best friend does. She's an antique dealer and her other friends are all the arty-boutique-y sort, and they all dress eclectically. Her trademark is polka dots. They're all so very confident! I think confidence makes a huge difference in what you 'can' wear. Maybe it's just me? I don't have a lot of confidence about what I wear (hence my trolling this and other sites for advice) or maybe I'd branch out more and have my own personal 'style'. Just thinking out loud. :)

Robin

Confidence is always the difficult thing, isn't it. I do hope that one day you look in the mirror and go, "Eureka, I've found it", and love the way you look. I'm sure that there are some outfits you put on and find that, without any apparent reason, you feel good. Those are your colours; that is your style. Ditch anything which has the opposite effect. Don't just rely on the opinion of others about what is nice and what isn't, or what is suitable and what isn't, and forget that condemnatory stuff about colours etc being "age-appropriate". When you feel good, that's when you will look your best, whether it's a Mad Men style dress, jeans and a peasant blouse, a trapeze dress or a tailored trouser suit. Perhaps even - probably secretly if you're lacking in confidence - take a whole bunch of photographs of yourself in various outfits, upload them, and then sit in front of your computer and slowly scroll through the photos. You will find yourself zeroing in on particular styles and colours. :)

Gorgeous stuff. I'm with you: how could anybody not like polka dots? I think nothing looks like gorgeous weather than a lovely, crisp polka dot dress, preferably white on navy or white on red. Love, love, love, polka dots.

What you describe I see looking nice on something like I love Lucy or one of those dresses from the 50s. I just think they are so old fashioned but of course we all like different things thankfully.

The footwear in the blog picture makes me cringe, why would anyone wear shoes/boots like that:eek:

Add another polka dot lover here. I also love stripes and plaid! I love having a neutral base and adding a scarf with stripes or dots , or an ethic pattern. I have some very cute polka dresses and they have a very modern vibe while still being classics.

I am a shoe lover ( won't tell you all the exact number , but its in the hundreds , lol! ) and the footwear in the blog is cute imho , a cute neutral shoe when looking for a shoe that isn't the focus of the outfit. Of course, the oxfords are supposed to stand out.

It is great that everybody has different tastes and opinions , makes the world a lot more exciting!

Add another polka dot lover here. I also love stripes and plaid! I love having a neutral base and adding a scarf with stripes or dots , or an ethic pattern. I have some very cute polka dresses and they have a very modern vibe while still being classics.

I am a shoe lover ( won't tell you all the exact number , but its in the hundreds , lol! ) and the footwear in the blog is cute imho , a cute neutral shoe when looking for a shoe that isn't the focus of the outfit. Of course, the oxfords are supposed to stand out.

It is great that everybody has different tastes and opinions , makes the world a lot more exciting!

I have the feeling that we may have interchangeable closets :) Except I don't have so many shoes... I like simple classics with one pop accessory, but I'm a super lazy shopper, a couple of times a year I head to the jcrew, banana republic & Madewell, & take care of business... but I also have things from Target & a couple of leggings from Khols that I like. I have to confess, I was a "preppy" in high school... about 30 years ago... colored espadrilles, skinny capri jeans, & sweater sets... funny how things come back around!

What you describe I see looking nice on something like I love Lucy or one of those dresses from the 50s. I just think they are so old fashioned but of course we all like different things thankfully.

The footwear in the blog picture makes me cringe, why would anyone wear shoes/boots like that:eek:

Have to agree re the footwear - particularly those workmanlike boots :eek:

I have the feeling that we may have interchangeable closets :) Except I don't have so many shoes... I like simple classics with one pop accessory, but I'm a super lazy shopper, a couple of times a year I head to the jcrew, banana republic & Madewell, & take care of business... but I also have things from Target & a couple of leggings from Khols that I like. I have to confess, I was a "preppy" in high school... about 30 years ago... colored espadrilles, skinny capri jeans, & sweater sets... funny how things come back around!

Don't they ever. I'm off to a 70s party in a couple of weeks, and the gear I've bought to wear isn't much different to what is in the shops these days anyway, right down to the fabulous platform wedges and the peasant blouses. I think I'll be taking that blouse on the cruise with me. :)

Cruise Kitty .... I get the same feeling!!! My favorite stores are Banana and J. Crew and I just discovered Madewell on Pinterest and love it !

I had the official Preppy Handbook in as a freshman in HS and loved Esprit penny loafers on different colors with Izod polos.

My favorite item in the world is the Jackie cardigan from j. Crew. Have it innumerous colors.

And our travel outfit ( other thread ) is exactly the same!

:)

I understand people not liking Crocs and I agree, with some exceptions. I find them great as house slippers and even better for travel. They are easy on and off through security and while flying. They are forgiving of swelling feet on flights. They give enough support to walk through airports. They are amazingly comfortable and lightweight. Here's the pair I just bought for my upcoming trip. They will be my travel shoes, my slippers in the cabin, and my go-to-the-pool shoes onboard. This model is a bit narrower than some so don't look like clown shoes, and I love this color.

815UsIwzfxL._SL1500_.jpg

crocs.jpg.61e4027712329955ca67a90383b40c2e.jpg

Archived