Failing in Falmouth

jonbgd

Hopefully the horses are in good condition. We went on a hiking tour in Mexico and happen upon a horse back tour that went through the hiking area and the horses were really in bad condition.

The horses at Chukka all seemed well taken care of and happy. I was worried about that when I booked the tour, hoping we weren't going to be riding skinny, sickly nags, but all of the horses appeared well fed, groomed and happy. I would use this tour company again.

I just returned from Allure Western Route and my 14yo DS and I did the Chukka Horseback Ride and Swim and LOVED every minute of it! Great experience and a lot of fun. We did not stop at any shopping venues on the way to or from so I can't give you any information on that, but we would tour with them again in a heartbeat!

You booked an excursion and had a great day....glad to hear. We used Chukka for river tubing and was also impressed with their operation at the Great Hope Estate...I wrote a very detailed review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439487&highlight=chukka+river+tubing+safari

The horses at Chukka all seemed well taken care of and happy. I was worried about that when I booked the tour, hoping we weren't going to be riding skinny, sickly nags, but all of the horses appeared well fed, groomed and happy. I would use this tour company again.

That's good to hear :)

You booked an excursion and had a great day....glad to hear. We used Chukka for river tubing and was also impressed with their operation at the Great Hope Estate...I wrote a very detailed review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439487&highlight=chukka+river+tubing+safari

EllaDuChien and bajathree...thank you! Finally, something positive. EllaDuChien, can you tell us more about the horseback excursion? My daughter is really interested in that.

I'm off to read the bajathree review too...I have never stayed on ship while visiting a port, and don't want to start now! :)

EllaDuChien and bajathree...thank you! Finally, something positive. EllaDuChien, can you tell us more about the horseback excursion? My daughter is really interested in that.

I'm off to read the bajathree review too...I have never stayed on ship while visiting a port, and don't want to start now! :)

Here is another review I did on another Chukka Falmouth excursion.... actually did this one 2x....Chukka Zipline at Rosehall http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1612868

Certainly! We boarded an air conditioned tour bus (johnny b. goode was our driver and he was a HOOT!!) it was about a 45 minute drive to the ranch and our guide gave us a bunch of history about the different places we were seeing. When we got there, we got lockers and helmets for the 1st part of the tour, the trail ride. Then we were mounted up and headed out. Don't worry if you have never ridden before, they will ask and give beginners easy horses. Also, don't worry if you and your party get mounted up a different times, they will let you catch up and ride with whoever you want. The trail ride goes through some fields and treed areas, they have some great spots to take pictures also. They will let you take your camera and even take pictures for you even though they will tell you to put your cameras in the lockers. Towards the end of the trail ride, you will pass through a cove and cut through a lagoon, but this is not the water part.

After you dismount from the trail ride, you will need to change for the water portion. Here I would say not to take cameras unless they are waterproof. You are then put on a horse, it may not be the same one you rode on the trail, and in smaller groups led out into the sea. The water comes up to about chest height on the horses, but their feet are always on the ground. We cantered around in a large circle a few times, and then back to shore.

They have a small gift shop, a bar and a guy grilling some jerk chicken for sale. There were never any aggressive sales pitches, if you said "no thank you" they never bothered you again. Then back on the bus for the ride home.

All in all, the trip took about 4 hours. For our trip in October, I will say that it was HOT! make sure you have sunblock. You cannot wear hats of any kind because you are required to wear safety helmets on the trail. The portion in the water was cool and refreshing, just try not to think about what might be floating in the water!! :eek:

I would certainly use this company again and will probably take this excursion again in the future as my younger son was not old enough to participate this time. Please feel free to ask any specific questions if there is anything else you would like to know. I have pictures, but since I just got off the boat yesterday, I haven't had a chance to get them all organized, hopefully soon!

So, remind me on why this port was built?

Since it sounds like most people take excursions or stay at port, is there a real advantage of basing the excursions out of Falmouth? Been to Oco Rios, which is not far away, and thought the port was OK. Not great, but loved the chair lift tour and had great views. Stopped back in town for some local shopping and we did buy from local shops. This was our biggest spending day.

The only issue I ever saw was local cabbies in a shouting match over turf in the parking lot of one of the shopping center. Was never hounded by anyone, (unlike Nassau-the scurge of the carribean IMO).

I just put a course onto Mapmyrun, and wow, that is a small town. Snaking through almost every street north and south just barely gets 5 miles.

But that also means that we are less than a mile from the port all of the time, which isn't bad. Oh, well, we'll get to see all of the city that way.

Are they going to build Margaritiville inside the gate or outside? If it is inside then it will mostly not help the locals to much. They need people to go outside and spend some money IMO.

If they need people to go outside they should insure people safty and vendors should not be THAT pushy. till then I will stick with ship excursions (wich is provided by Jamaica by the way)and do not go outside fence in Jamaica.

So, remind me on why this port was built?

Since it sounds like most people take excursions or stay at port, is there a real advantage of basing the excursions out of Falmouth? Been to Oco Rios, which is not far away, and thought the port was OK. Not great, but loved the chair lift tour and had great views. Stopped back in town for some local shopping and we did buy from local shops. This was our biggest spending day.

The only issue I ever saw was local cabbies in a shouting match over turf in the parking lot of one of the shopping center. Was never hounded by anyone, (unlike Nassau-the scurge of the carribean IMO).

I'm pretty sure the Falmouth port was built to accomodate the Oasis and Allure. Our family actually liked Ocho Rios and there was a much better choice of excursions near Ocho. I refuse to sit on a bus for one hour one way to get to Ocho from Falmouth to do an excursion, will never happen!

I'm pretty sure the Falmouth port was built to accomodate the Oasis and Allure. Our family actually liked Ocho Rios and there was a much better choice of excursions near Ocho. I refuse to sit on a bus for one hour one way to get to Ocho from Falmouth to do an excursion, will never happen!

You I think this is the main thing stopping me from doing anything out Falmouth. Two hours in a bus is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

I completely agree with you on this point. I really enjoyed Ocho Rios and it was a very easy 10-15 minute ride to Dunn's River. I have no interest in an hr. of transportation each way to get to where I want to go and back.

If they need people to go outside they should insure people safty and vendors should not be THAT pushy. till then I will stick with ship excursions (wich is provided by Jamaica by the way)and do not go outside fence in Jamaica.

Nassau use to be like that a long time ago. Then they built this large facility to house the hair braiders and local tour sales vendors. It's much more civil now. Wish RCI and Falmouth could do the same.

You I think this is the main thing stopping me from doing anything out Falmouth. Two hours in a bus is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

Both of the Royal excursions I posted reviews to a few posts back are 30 minutes or less to get to from Falmouth.

It was built largely for OASIS/ALLURE...... but hey are using this port for other ships also....even Carnival as well as some other CL's have ships coming into Falmouth.

It was built largely for OASIS/ALLURE...... but hey are using this port for other ships also....even Carnival as well as some other CL's have ships coming into Falmouth.

Steve I just wanted to personally thank you for all of your positive and helpful comments, I really appreciate it!!

I agree with your point on the need to have an excursion booked! On our last cruise to Falmouth we had 3 very expensive excursions booked and unfortunately, we couldn't afford another $500 for another excursion. We mistakingly thought that we would be able to find a cheaper private tour out of the gate, but boy were we were wrong on that idea LOL. Will not make that mistake again!!!

We are going back to Falmouth this summer to give it another try and are considering Hilton Rose Hall this time. I did read your reviews about the excursions you have done in Falmouth, they are just not a good fit for our entire family at this time. It is very difficult to pick excursions when there are 6 of you and you have mixed age kids with different desires. We like to do our excursions as a complete family and this is difficult sometimes.;)

Do you think we will be able to get a taxi within the gate if we book directly with Hilton Rose Hall or should we just book directly with Jamaica for a day?? I don't mind booking the Hilton with JFAD but we would like the ability to come and go without having to wait for others booked for the same excursion.

Steve I just wanted to personally thank you for all of your positive and helpful comments, I really appreciate it!!

I agree with your point on the need to have an excursion booked! On our last cruise to Falmouth we had 3 very expensive excursions booked and unfortunately, we couldn't afford another $500 for another excursion. We mistakingly thought that we would be able to find a cheaper private tour out of the gate, but boy were we were wrong on that idea LOL. Will not make that mistake again!!!

We are going back to Falmouth this summer to give it another try and are considering Hilton Rose Hall this time. I did read your reviews about the excursions you have done in Falmouth, they are just not a good fit for our entire family at this time. It is very difficult to pick excursions when there are 6 of you and you have mixed age kids with different desires. We like to do our excursions as a complete family and this is difficult sometimes.;)

Do you think we will be able to get a taxi within the gate if we book directly with Hilton Rose Hall or should we just book directly with Jamaica for a day?? I don't mind booking the Hilton with JFAD but we would like the ability to come and go without having to wait for others booked for the same excursion.

Why not book ahead of time with one of the many private tour operators recommended on this board? That way you know things will go well, it will be cheaper than the ship's tours and you don't have to stress finding something in port and taking a chance. You might get it a little cheaper in port, but you may not.

Why not book ahead of time with one of the many private tour operators recommended on this board? That way you know things will go well, it will be cheaper than the ship's tours and you don't have to stress finding something in port and taking a chance. You might get it a little cheaper in port, but you may not.

What makes you think that we usually don't do this? :confused: We almost always prebook our excursions and go privately. Falmouth was the only exception and that was because we already spent a lot of money on pre-booked excursions at the other ports that our kids wanted to do.

Quite honestly, the only excursion that I would right now consider doing near Falmouth is the Hilton Rose Hall and we usually are not big on the AI's since we don't drink a lot. As I have already pointed out, Falmouth is not a great port for nearby excursions and our family will not spend 2 hours on a bus to do an excursion. I think that RCCL is banking on the fact that I am one only a few that feels this way. Many people don't know how long the drive is to the Ocho excursions from Falmouth and come back very unhappy from them! The fact that they are so far away is what makes them expensive.

I guess I just didn't say it very well. I was responding quickly to your question about just getting a taxi at port.

What makes you think that we usually don't do this? :confused: We almost always prebook our excursions and go privately. Falmouth was the only exception and that was because we already spent a lot of money on pre-booked excursions at the other ports that our kids wanted to do.

Quite honestly, the only excursion that I would right now consider doing near Falmouth is the Hilton Rose Hall and we usually are not big on the AI's since we don't drink a lot. As I have already pointed out, Falmouth is not a great port for nearby excursions and our family will not spend 2 hours on a bus to do an excursion. I think that RCCL is banking on the fact that I am one only a few that feels this way. Many people don't know how long the drive is to the Ocho excursions from Falmouth and come back very unhappy from them! The fact that they are so far away is what makes them expensive.

Thanks for the nice words:)

I just booked Hilton Rose Hall myself for Dec....I went thru Jamaica For A Day. I also debated a bit about not being on my own schedule....but for only $15/pp I went with their transportation...I figured if I really wanted to I could always catch a taxi back on my own still making the $15/pp worth it even if were to only get there....taxi cost in Jamaica is not cheap.

I haven't been to the Hilton there before so I can't give much info on it. As for Jamaica For A Day....I e-mailed back and forth with Kim a few times...they were very prompt with their response each time and seem to be a well run organization. I will gladly do a Hilton Rosehall thru Jamaica For A Day review after my Dec trip.

Thanks for the nice words:)

I just booked Hilton Rose Hall myself for Dec....I went thru Jamaica For A Day. I also debated a bit about not being on my own schedule....but for only $15/pp I went with their transportation...I figured if I really wanted to I could always catch a taxi back on my own still making the $15/pp worth it even if were to only get there....taxi cost in Jamaica is not cheap.

I haven't been to the Hilton there before so I can't give much info on it. As for Jamaica For A Day....I e-mailed back and forth with Kim a few times...they were very prompt with their response each time and seem to be a well run organization. I will gladly do a Hilton Rosehall thru Jamaica For A Day review after my Dec trip.

Thanks for the info on cab cost in Jamaica. I think we will follow your advice and go with JFAD for the transportation also and as you said, we can always get a taxi back on our own. I look forward to your review of the Hilton Rose Hall! If you can and if it is convenient, can you please let me know how much the waverunner and parasailing rentals are there. Thanks. :)

Archived