Failing in Falmouth

jonbgd

Good grief...............just move on and don't buy anything if you don't want to:rolleyes:

That is easier said than done. If you can avoid the shopping area at the Falls, do so! The guides take you through it. They put items in the hands of your children and tell them it is a gift then demand money. They insult you if you don't look at their items. They are over aggressive and they make the average American very unsettled. You want to pick up a few trinkets, but you don't want to be hassled to the point of frustration and worry for the safety of your family.

In Haiti, there are armed guards from the cruise line, so they stay in check. They will hassle you a little, but nothing like Jamaica.

I have been to Fallmouth and it was scary on the bus! It was the opening of the port and the first time the Oasis docked there. The tour busses couldn't drive in the streets back to port because all of the locals were out looking at the ship and standing in the streets. It was a mob! We were worried the ship would leave us, but thankfully they waited for late tours. I wouldn't want to be around if that mob was angry. Think I may stay on the Allure next month when in Fallmouth again.

THe Jamaicans have no one but themselves to blame for this. THeir bad reputation for being incredibily aggressive has spread via word of mouth and more and more cruisers are not willing to expose themselves to that kind of experience. When my daughter was 7 years old we went to Ocho Rios and after our Dunns River falls excursion we wandered into town. We were harassed and intimidated by several woman who followed us around selling their hair braiding services. They surrounded my daughter and were stroking her hair. It got so bad that she burst into tears and we went back to the ship immediately. Fast forward 20 years. She and her new DH took a RCCL cruise on their honeymoon. Guess who would not get off the ship in Jamaica? She still remembers that incident after all that time.

We had the same experience in Falmouth with our 3 daughters last year. I'm sure the citizens of Jamaica wouldn't be happy with me if I walked over to one of their children and started to run a dirty comb/brush through their child's hair without their permission. Never again will we ever go past the gate in Falmouth without a taxi/shuttle taking us out. You would think it would be common sense to keep your hands off a child that you don't know.

I found this video online,
I know its a year old, but still the town looks pretty safe.

I will think about it.

Thanks for the link to the video!

Not sure what time of day it was shot but there is a clock near the flowrider that says its close to 2:25pm and a clock near the pool bar also looks like it indicates the time of day is around 2:35pm, so I wonder if he walked back into town after lunch?

Starting at 3m41s to 3m55s where he is shooting video of the town and parking lot then zooms in to the area just outside the main exit gate where a lot of people are standing around. That is the area where all the tour vendors set up in the morning.

That stretch of footage from about the 9m38s mark where he is walking down the avenue with large signs on both signs is the way to the main exit gate. The signs display the history of the town and appeared fascinating, but I didn't stop to read them as it was a bit warm outside and I was just making a bee-line for the club.

At the 9m49s mark (through to 10m40s) is the area where the majority of the tour vendors set up in the morning (aka 'the gauntet'). You can see in the video that most all of them are gone, so it leads me to believe he shot this well after the morning rush of tourists. You can hear he gets offered to braid his hair a couple of times along with the loud greetings 'what's up my friend' tying to get his attention. This is typical. It never hurts to smile and say HI and then 'No,Thank you' (twenty times). Or go look at their stuff. Or keep walking. Whatever.

At the 10m44s mark you can see where he turns toward the blue clock tower and heads to the main square (this area is pretty harmless!). Once at the fountain he spins around and does a lot of video in the fountain area. That gas station is on the northwest corner of Water Square near the backside of the Court House.

At the 12m28s mark he is standing at the Cenothaph area near the front of the Court House, then checks out the donkey and the stalls set up in front of the Court House through to 13m33s mark.

Then it's back to Water Square again to the end of the video.

Pretty harmless. Like I've mentioned before, just that fist block out of the gate (particularly first thing in the morning) is we all refer to as the most challenging part to get past.

for the record i have been to labadee, haiti and they are twice as pushy there.

My experience has been the opposite. If you ever get to Dunn's River Falls at least, getting out of there can be like running the Gauntlet. But it's been a few years since I have been to Jamaica, so perhaps things have changed.

Someone dug up my old LIVE thread from last year (ah, the memories!) and it briefly includes my thoughts on Falmouth as I posted them while the experiences were happening (LIVE) still fresh in my mind. If you are interested start at Post #212. I spent less than three hours out at the dock shops and in town, mainly because it was so hot. The pictures embedded in the LIVE thread were downloaded via Tapatalk so they're not the best quality. I linked earlier in this thread the pictures I took with my digital camera which are much clearer

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1523307&page=11

As many have said maybe it's a good idea to sign up for a ship sponsored shore tour then hit town mid-afternoon. :D

I'm part of the reason that the numbers are low because I don't spend a penny in Falmouth. No apologigies from me. Building a port that isn't close to anything was a terrible idea. I refuse to spend anything in a port that requires me to waste 45 - 60 minutes of travel time (each way) compared to the exiting Jamaican ports. The only reason for this port was so that RCCL and some local Jamaican officials can keep revenue to hemselves. I've been to Falmouth several times and there is absolutely nothing outside of the port compound. The police are only near the first block after you leave the ship and then you are on your own. For my money, I'll stay on the ship.

Good grief...............just move on and don't buy anything if you don't want to:rolleyes:

We had a very bad experience at Dunn's River Falls. After the climb you are forced to walk through the area with very aggressive vendors. I warned my sons to just keep walking and one vendor jumped in front of my 14 year old son and shoved him when he wouldn't engage.

Well needless to say I was enraged and yelled at the man to keep his hands off my son. My husband grabbed me by the hand and we high tailed it out of there. Never again!

Seems like we have a consensus here. If you want us to come into town and spend money, then stop harrassing us.

Their talk does not bother me. Just keep your hands off my family and me. Physical contact is likely to make me quite defensive.

We had a very bad experience at Dunn's River Falls. After the climb you are forced to walk through the area with very aggressive vendors...

Prior to last year (docking at Falmouth) Dunn's River Falls in 1997 was my first and only 'experience' with Jamaica. That narrow pathway that you are indeed literally forced to walk through (the only way to exit) is as bad of a gauntlet (in the truest definition of the word) as I have ever seen anywhere in my travels around the world. And it is completely unavoidable. They reached out and physically grabbed people (including me several times) to pull them over to their displays. It really is as bad as people say, but having had to go through that in person left such a bad taste with me I swore off the entire island for almost 15 years. I can still remember it to this day.

Falmouth is tame by comparison.

We had a very bad experience at Dunn's River Falls. After the climb you are forced to walk through the area with very aggressive vendors. I warned my sons to just keep walking and one vendor jumped in front of my 14 year old son and shoved him when he wouldn't engage.

Well needless to say I was enraged and yelled at the man to keep his hands off my son. My husband grabbed me by the hand and we high tailed it out of there. Never again!

Our tour guide to Dunns told us how to avoid the vendor area, and I am so grateful!

Prior to last year (docking at Falmouth) Dunn's River Falls in 1997 was my first and only 'experience' with Jamaica. That narrow pathway that you are indeed literally forced to walk through (the only way to exit) is as bad of a gauntlet (in the truest definition of the word) as I have ever seen anywhere in my travels around the world. And it is completely unavoidable. They reached out and physically grabbed people (including me several times) to pull them over to their displays. It really is as bad as people say, but having had to go through that in person left such a bad taste with me I swore off the entire island for almost 15 years. I can still remember it to this day.

Falmouth is tame by comparison.

Our guide told us how to avoid it !

Very grateful to her.

Our guide told us how to avoid it !

Very grateful to her.

True

It's also been on CC for many years now. Just do a search. Nobody forces you to do anything in there. Must be a lot of cruisers with broken arms:rolleyes:

One way is to just walk out the way you came in, the entrance.

True

It's also been on CC for many years now. Just do a search. Nobody forces you to do anything in there. Must be a lot of cruisers with broken arms:rolleyes:

One way is to just walk out the way you came in, the entrance.

Thanks. We're not going anytime soon or at all. But it's just as easy to post the info, if you make a comment about having the "information" as it is to share it for others. :)

See above. No interest in searching for it. :p

Just to quibble a little bit about erbunny's post(s)....how hard is it to post...."Our guide told us we could leave out the front and avoid the market if we weren't interested. And we were very thankful."

Thanks for providing a link. My point is if you know something...share it. :)

Personally I will not ever get off the ship again in Jamaica unless it was the shopping area in Falmouth. It was so nice to get off the ship and walk around w/o feeling like you were going to be smothered by the locals. Loved the stores there. Walked around for about 2 hours and went back on the ship

It's sad to read of the stories of so many CC members that have had unfortunate experiences in Falmouth.

Last December was our first (and only, to date) experience in Falmouth. Before then we have travelled to Ocho Rios, several times, and FireFly, but never to Montego Bay. So, with another couple in tow, we headed for the taxi stand, made an offer, that was accepted, and we headed out. We toured the White Witch, and several other areas, before lunching in a Montego Bay restaurant, called maybe the Blue Lagoon, excellent food, both local and american.

From there we toured the city.......which is almost a waste, since it takes 45 minutes to get 6 blocks, and then off to a few other sites before our driver brought us back to where he picked us up. He was certified by the Jamacian government to drive a cab.

At no time were we hassled, although my friend looks a bit like Kojak, and I have to say that from the first time that we visited Jamaica, we have never felt threatened, but we do find that the island is not as friendly, and at this point, have no desire to return.

I hope that Royal Caribbean and the Jamaican athorities can work together to make Falmouth a more pleasant port.;)

Rick

Magaritaville was suppose to be open for our Oct. 28th cruise, but as we have heard from our TA it will not be, but they are putting up a huge tent with airconditioners for us and a temporary bar as this is one of our main party stops. I would think they would be hiring a lot of locals for our day in Falmouth---and pretty sure it is inside the gates. Without Jimmy Buffets being open I'am sure they are trying to do the best to entertain our huge group.

Are the excursions thru RCCL pretty safe? Looking at horseback riding...

Hopefully the horses are in good condition. We went on a hiking tour in Mexico and happen upon a horse back tour that went through the hiking area and the horses were really in bad condition.

Are the excursions thru RCCL pretty safe? Looking at horseback riding...

I just returned from Allure Western Route and my 14yo DS and I did the Chukka Horseback Ride and Swim and LOVED every minute of it! Great experience and a lot of fun. We did not stop at any shopping venues on the way to or from so I can't give you any information on that, but we would tour with them again in a heartbeat!

Archived