Lobster Tails in the Terrace Cafe!

burm

We've never had a surf & turf burger.

I can confirm however, that we still have our world famous surf & turf sandwich consisting of sliced grilled lobster and sliced filet Mignon served on ciabatta bread and accompanied by hand cut truffle fries dusted with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

FDR

Sorry FDR:o

That is what I was thinking of

Since I do not eat lobster did not really pay much attention

Lyn

Hey, if you want to claim "variety" even when you go all lobster, all the time...

you can use the excuse that the whole lobster in Polo is Maine lobster (aka Atlantic lobster, the kind with a solid lobster red shell when cooked) and the lobster tails in Terraces (and also with the Polo veal Oscar style) are typically the bay lobster (the kind with black & white markings as well as deep lobster red on the shell when cooked - think Australian lobster tail).

Both varieties delicious. Ah, lobster daydreams...

Hey, if you want to claim "variety" even when you go all lobster, all the time...

you can use the excuse that the whole lobster in Polo is Maine lobster (aka Atlantic lobster, the kind with a solid lobster red shell when cooked) and the lobster tails in Terraces (and also with the Polo veal Oscar style) are typically the bay lobster (the kind with black & white markings as well as deep lobster red on the shell when cooked - think Australian lobster tail).

Both varieties delicious. Ah, lobster daydreams...

That is definitely my idea of variety. :)

Hmm, now I am also dreaming of the lovely lamb in the Polo Grill, where my Surf n Turf always consists of lamb with lobster. They are so accommodating.

I was always happy with O food, but I am excited to try the new grill and the specialty restaurants on the Marina.

Now, if they would only offer sweet black cherries, I would be totally fulfilled. :p

Cruise Critic definitely "feeds" our addiction to cruising. If it were not for our daily conversations with CC friends and the joy of getting together with many of our new friends on board, we would not be nearly as passionate about cruising.

This thread is certainly making me anxious to cruise. But please tell me: are all these things (especially the succulent crustacions!) available at the Terrace Cafes on the R ships as well as the O ships?

Our first Oceania cruise is next month on Regatta and we're also booked on Riviera next year. I've looked at the sample menus for each ship and they're very close but not exactly the same and neither makes any mention of some of the delights discussed here. Of course, they're "sample" menus and I know things change daily but are they essentially the same?

This thread is certainly making me anxious to cruise. But please tell me: are all these things (especially the succulent crustacions!) available at the Terrace Cafes on the R ships as well as the O ships?

Our first Oceania cruise is next month on Regatta and we're also booked on Riviera next year. I've looked at the sample menus for each ship and they're very close but not exactly the same and neither makes any mention of some of the delights discussed here. Of course, they're "sample" menus and I know things change daily but are they essentially the same?

No, the menus on the smaller ships are not as extensive, particularly in the Terrace Buffet and in Waves.

There simply isn't room to store and/or prepare as many items.

Edited by JimandStan

Also the TERRACE on the R-ships do not have the new GRILL section so no special made to order items

They do still make pasta & stir fry dishes to order but not the meat/fish items like on the O class ships

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Not to worry, though- there are still many delights to be enjoyed on the Regatta. You will love it!

I'm sure we will. It's the enthusiasm from everyone here that has amped up our anticipation. I regret, though, that the Terrace Cafe on Regatta is limited in respect to the O ships for our upcoming Mayan Adventure. We may not get all the goodies that will be offered on our Riviera trip next year but I'm confident we will have a wonderful time.

I was hesitant to book Regatta for our first Oceania experience but some posters here have indicated that the smaller ships are just as good--and many believe, even better than--the O Class. We'll just have to try them both to make up our own minds. And enjoy the trying.

I was hesitant to book Regatta for our first Oceania experience but some posters here have indicated that the smaller ships are just as good--and many believe, even better than--the O Class. We'll just have to try them both to make up our own minds. And enjoy the trying.

We enjoy the small ships. They are small enough that you get to know your fellow passengers well, but still large enough to get lost if you want to. :)

What we especially enjoy about Oceania (and I am assuming that this holds true on the slightly larger Marina and Riviera) is that we don't spend the time waiting that we do on the larger ships of other cruise lines. The shows may be less sophisticated, but you can walk in at the last minute and still find a good seat. If you need to speak with Guest Relations, you can walk up to the counter and not have to stand in a long line at any time of the day. You will never wait long to be seated in the MDR. Anytime dining really works here. :)

I found the Terrace Cafe at night on the O ships to be spectacular and I'm not usually a buffet person for dinner. It was, imo., much better than the GDR. With the lobster, lamb chops, steaks, sushi, pasta to order most other cruise lines would call it a specialty restaurant and charge $25.

I can confirm however, that we still have our world famous surf & turf sandwich consisting of sliced grilled lobster and sliced filet Mignon served on ciabatta bread and accompanied by hand cut truffle fries dusted with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

FDR

Ok that does it!!! FDR, I am thinking you may be losing a Regent cruise and gaining an Oceania cruiser... Don't suppose you might consider giving us a little "past cruiser" credit? That seems to be what is holding DH back!

All lobsters are within the "crayfish" genius. I wont bore you with the whole latin thing The atlantic lobster has claws. The pacific and Carrib as well as Aisian species are known as "Spiny lobsters" An other of the species is a dwarf called "Slipper Lobster" They come hundreds of models. The largest of which is a fresh water crayfish in Tasmania that grown to 10-12 kilos when mature thats like 25 lbs folks..... their claws are big and strong enough to sever fingers... so watch out.

They all have the same stuff under the shell and they all cook up Red due to the makeup of the shell. Dosent matter if its blue, green, stripes, or poka-dot... its all gonna turn red the same.

The atlantic lobster grown in colder waters and results in a more dense tissue mass , while inversely warmer waters result in less dense tissue.

Its beauty in the eye of the beholder as to taste.

However cooking them in sea water, will make a difference over other methods and a crazy hot grill can make leather and blahs out of any.

Dipping then in butter actualy gives you more butter flavor than what you think is lobster.

All of these critters , like Halibut , Sturgeon, are bottom scavengers, so it pays to know where they last dined......

You may have concluded this because there are very few lobsters shopping at Whole Foods.

FDR

Frank - I said "At the Waves Grill they have a surf and turf sandwich"...I would not have called it a burger :)

We like double lobster, no meat, so that is why I called it a "surf and surf"

And while you are reading...let me add one thing :)

I really appreciate and enjoy what you've created with Oceania. We are booking a May 2014 cruise in addition to the other 3 we have booked. I read the CEO Roundtable interview...those other guys are definitely appealing to a different audience. Please keep going down the path you and Oceania are going.

OH No sorry I do not know if they have it or not

Maybe some recent cruisers will comment

Sorry to get your hopes up if they are gone

Lyn

Thank you, Lyn, for your response. I hope some recent cruisers will comment!

we've never had a surf & turf burger.

I can confirm however, that we still have our world famous surf & turf sandwich consisting of sliced grilled lobster and sliced filet mignon served on ciabatta bread and accompanied by hand cut truffle fries dusted with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Fdr

thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yippee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A picture is worth a thousand words. September 2,2012 - embarkation day on the Riviera in Barcelona. Drop off the carryons and go right to the Terrace cafe for a lobster and filet sandwich with fries and a chocolate shake. Decadent, and priceless, as it is included in the cruise fare. (Michael is extra). https://picasaweb.google.com/105136138360871676103/OceaniaRiviera201202?authkey=Gv1sRgCLnopd3f0r6sjgE#5790799293483609474

Burm

Lobster every night?? Good lord - think of your waistline, young woman!! :) :)

Oh, I am, Maureen, I am. :D

Under the Weight Watcher's system lobster has just four points. Not only is lobster low in fat, it is lower in cholesterol than skinless chicken breast. Lobster has seventy-two milligrams compared to chicken's eighty-five milligrams.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/2469228