Would like your comments on this failed booking

catmand

I know there is nothing I can do about this. I will not be using this agent again after booking 8 or 9 cruises with her. I was just wondering what, if any, you all thought about this? I realize the fares fluctuate.

First e mail, the exchange begins: Giving some thought to sailing March 31st SF-Mexico Grand. Wanda can not go so it would be just me.....can you quote me for an inside guarantee? We didn't do any FCC while on the last cruise so also straight deposit.

Thanks, Chuck

Dear Chuck – I’m sending you the flyer so you can review it – we are having a Cruise Sale Week beginning on October 17 so your deposit would only be $100 if you want to do it then --- the fare, if you go as a single, would be 160% of the fare you see on the flyer for an inside cabin – outside and above is 200% of the fare. Take care

Hi again.....XXXX please check my math. An inside guarantee is $799.00 the supplement adds $479 = $1279.00 + $108.57 tax/port? I need to talk to MY WIFE but will probably do this.....I should wait until the 17th for the lower deposit? thanks

You are a good math person!!! Just give a call when you are ready – take care, XXX

Hi XXX as we discussed at the end of last week. I'd like to book a solo inside guarantee for the 3//31/13 Grand to Mexico. Please put me on your list for the booking tomorrow, the 17th.

Thanks again, Chuck

The next day:

I will get you booked, today, Chuck – assume you have a Future Cruise Deposit? (i realize she is busy but I already answered this)

That evening I got the invoice: cruise fare 1,858.00 + 108.57 tax/port = 1,966.57 which is 579.00 higher than discussed

The total prices below now include 148.64 insurance.

Dear XXX please take a look at these e mails we exchanged below. I'm getting a total price of $1536.21 with insurance. The invoice you sent is: $2115.21 If this is not an error I would need to cancel.

It is not an error – that was the lowest fare yesterday – I will cancel your cabin -

what happened to the flyer prices you sent me the other day?.....please call me, thanks

Unfortunately fares are always in flux with the Cruise Lines. I have cancelled the Cruise – your deposit is being refunded. Take care

I'm sorry that the price increased but I understand that any quote is not valid until purchased. So unless I'm missing something then it's a risk we all take when looking into our 'crystal ball' to decide when to book. I don't expect my TA to check prices for me while I decide when is the best time for me to book a cruise. Hope you'll find a better price even if it's on another cruise.

I don't see the value in reduced deposits...You are still going to have to pay the full amount. I would rather pay more up front...And by waiting for the reduced deposit, you lost the bargain. It's best to book when the bargain is there. EM

I don't see the value in reduced deposits...You are still going to have to pay the full amount. I would rather pay more up front...And by waiting for the reduced deposit, you lost the bargain. It's best to book when the bargain is there. EM

I agree......the reduced deposit is a nice little perk - but as stated above, by waiting, those lower priced cabin were sold. It's a shame you lost out on the good price.

Could never figure out why many of my clients were so concerned with the lower deposit...pay it now or later.........what's the difference?

Anyway, sorry this happened to you. :(

Dear Chuck – I’m sending you the flyer so you can review it – we are having a Cruise Sale Week beginning on October 17 so your deposit would only be $100 if you want to do it then --- the fare, if you go as a single, would be 160% of the fare you see on the flyer for an inside cabin – outside and above is 200% of the fare. Take care

You waited in hopes the pricing would be the same the follwing week.

Your decision.

Sorry for the price increase, but keep an eye on the pricing for that voyage. It may come down in the future.

Was the TA initial pricing less than if you had booked it at Princess at that time?

Dump the TA and book directly with the cruise line. You will be able to get as good if not better service and have the satisfaction of getting things done right.

This comment makes absolutely no sense. The TA did absolutely nothing wrong. It is the OP who made the decision to wait and in turn had the quoted price disappear. Unfortunate yes.....but the fault of the TA no way.

OK guys......I admit it was my error but based on the first exchange with the TA, I THOUGHT the prices she sent were good BEGINNING the 17th. I should probably just chalk this up as missed communication....as indicated below: quote her: the fare, if you go as a single, would be 160% of the fare you see on the flyer (799) for an inside cabin

thanks for the comments......I did not wait hoping the fares would go down.

Chuck

TA telling you to wait for the Sale

without telling you that despite the Sale

benefits , the rate and availability can

change.

Signs of a TA inexperienced in booking

cruises ?

However , if TA did explain about changes

and the OP decided to wait , then TA

deserves no blame.

In my considerable experience, prices only go UP. Lock in your cabin and rate as soon as you can with a deposit or FCC. IF the fare goes down before your final payment, you can asked that it be refared. I'm so sorry this happened to you but lesson learned, never repeated.

I see how you could think the flyer fares and the reduced deposit were both starting the 17th. I also see that your TA is not the most detail oriented, as she missed the whole exchange about you not having any FCC's to use. My opinion is to find a more detail oriented TA, or do your own bookings and then transfer them to a discount TA when the price is right.

I am a little confused about the pricing you mention though. It looks like the price is now $999, but 1.6 (single rate) x $999 +108.57 tx +$148.64 Insurance = $1855.37 direct from Princess. For that reason alone, you should look for a TA that discounts, or can do math better.

TA telling you to wait for the Sale

without telling you that despite the Sale

benefits , the rate and availability can

change.

I don't agree that a TA needs to tell us that rates are subject to change which is only common sense to me. We as consumers need to take some responsibility without blaming others for things that should be obvious.

Dump the TA and book directly with the cruise line. You will be able to get as good if not better service and have the satisfaction of getting things done right.
I disagree. There are TAs out there that give great service, discount and get things right. I'd rather save 10-20%, get OBC and perks, and get good/great service. No matter who you use, it's ultimately your responsibility to read the quote or booking and make sure everything is correct. TAs and Princess reps are human and none of us is perfect.

Hindsight is perfect, unfortunately. The OP's TA failed IMHO to provide what I consider a professional response. A good TA will be very specific with their quote and tell you exactly what the cost will be rather than percentages or have you do the math. Some TAs will put a hold and lock in the price for you if you say you will probably book.

Rates change all the time. In retrospect, if you think you will book, I'd make sure they lock in the price.

I know there is nothing I can do about this. I will not be using this agent again after booking 8 or 9 cruises with her. I was just wondering what, if any, you all thought about this? I realize the fares fluctuate.

First e mail, the exchange begins: Giving some thought to sailing March 31st SF-Mexico Grand. Wanda can not go so it would be just me.....can you quote me for an inside guarantee? We didn't do any FCC while on the last cruise so also straight deposit.

Thanks, Chuck

Hi again.....XXXX please check my math. An inside guarantee is $799.00 the supplement adds $479 = $1279.00 + $108.57 tax/port? I need to talk to MY WIFE but will probably do this.....I should wait until the 17th for the lower deposit? thanks

You are a good math person!!! Just give a call when you are ready – take care, XXX

Hi XXX as we discussed at the end of last week. I'd like to book a solo inside guarantee for the 3//31/13 Grand to Mexico. Please put me on your list for the booking tomorrow, the 17th.

Thanks again, Chuck

The next day:

I will get you booked, today, Chuck – assume you have a Future Cruise Deposit? (i realize she is busy but I already answered this)

That evening I got the invoice: cruise fare 1,858.00 + 108.57 tax/port = 1,966.57 which is 579.00 higher than discussed

The total prices below now include 148.64 insurance.

Dear XXX please take a look at these e mails we exchanged below. I'm getting a total price of $1536.21 with insurance. The invoice you sent is: $2115.21 If this is not an error I would need to cancel.

It is not an error – that was the lowest fare yesterday – I will cancel your cabin -

what happened to the flyer prices you sent me the other day?.....please call me, thanks

Unfortunately fares are always in flux with the Cruise Lines. I have cancelled the Cruise – your deposit is being refunded. Take care

i just checked princess website and the 1966 price is exactly what they are showing for single

Pam.....thanks for the response. I just took a look at your zip line pictures over the falls. Wanda, who has done 3 different zips was looking over my shoulder and she said, "I don't think I could do that." So, good for you.

Her most recent, last month out of Ketchikan, had two groups of 9 people, average age 65. (this in no way assumes your age, mind you).

She went zipping I went shopping.

http://rncshulak.blogspot.com/

Chuck

i just checked princess website and the 1966 price is exactly what they are showing for single
Yes, but that means two things:

1. The TA is no longer offering a reduced or discounted fare from the Princess fare (which they apparently did with their flyer; the quoted $799 fare was $200 lower than the Princess fare of $999 which has been in effect since 8-27-2012, and which is still in effect on a double booking basis).

2. The single supplement rate for an inside GTY has gone from 60% surcharge to an 85.98% surcharge. Apparently without notice or comment from the TA who said an inside would be at 60% and all other categories would be at 100%.

A detail-oriented discount TA can can make sure these things do not happen in the future. I don't know how much time transpired between the initial contact and the bad news, but I agree with Pam that the TA could have held the cabin for a couple of days at the quoted fare rate. Ours does it all the time.

As a former TA myself , I learned (the hard way at times) ,

not to assume the client knows logical stuff.

This situation may have been a avoided by picking up

the phone instead of multiple emails .

Like Larry the Cable Guy says , "Get R Done ".

I agree.

I personally get better service from my agent then a cruise line could ever provide. Plus, I get better prices.

Hi again,

Five days between initial contact. And, from that first contact on I thought she was giving me prices that were good starting on the 17th. Believe me, we sail Celebrity and the deposits we usually put down are $900. Pay me now, or pay me later. I would never wait for a lower deposit just to pay a higher price.

I have just recently started posting some here on the main boards again. I was really hesitant to do this one.

Thanks for not jumping down my throat and telling me I was a dummy.

Chuck

http://rncshulak.blogspot.com/

It can be maddening.

This past Friday night, I spotted a big (about 10%) fare reduction on a Golden sailing I was already booked on. As my usual TA doesn't work weekends, on Saturday morning someone from her office nicely offered to put a courtesy hold on a new booking with the lower fare until my TA got back on Monday.

Ten minutes later, he called me back to say that in the middle of the booking process the fare reduction disappeared from his screen, and it was now more expensive than the fare I'd originally booked. But a few days later my TA emailed: She had managed to get me a smaller (2.5%) courtesy reduction somehow.

I called today to thank her and discuss what happened when I idly checked Princess.com....and the fare had gone down again! Got refared, saved my 10%, but it all left my head spinning, like I'd been on some wacky game show.

You snooze, you lose. You stay awake, you can still lose.

Chuck, I noticed in your signature (unless I've looked at the wrong post) that you use webshots. If so, you'll want to contact them as they've been sold, and the new service will be working a bit different. I had them send me a file of my pics and a bunch of links for my videos so that I can find another online site that I can post photos on these forums from.

I didn't even get notified by them directly; learned about this here on CC.

Hi Patty.....

Thanks for the word on WebShots. Ya, I went on there for something last week, saw the new thing and tried to load my pics over to it. I found it confusing and difficult to say the least....(shepp, talk about head spinning)...the entire process was for 'naught since the new company will be "free" only until the first of the year.

I'm going to miss having our pictures on line, so many of us here on CC have used W.S. Maybe I can find something else?

In the meantime, I have all our pics on disk and backed up on an external hard drive.

Chuck

http://rncshulak.blogspot.com/ 12 parts of our September Alaska/Coastal now up.

Look for the thread on the Princess board about photos. The first email I got from them had a non-working link, so I had to send them a reply asking for help. The second email had a list of instructions that seemed to work -- I've downloaded them to my hard drive, but will have to check to see if just about everything's there. Most of what I put there are on flash drives or DVDs, but in the last several months, I've scanned in some old photos, kid's programs, stuff like that. My computer (seven years old, so it was expected) went up to the electronic place in the sky so I wanted to make sure I had all of that. Just bought a new flash drive to back up what I downloaded last night, but will be checking out the sites mentioned on that thread.

Archived