Culinary Classes

LHT28

Where do you book the classes onboard??? (providing there is still space)

Do you just go to the classroom to sign up or another area?

Yes I know you can book online in advance but not sure what day I may want to cook;)

Thanks

Lyn

These classes book up fast, the more people talk about the more people want to take them. It's really a fun time and you learn something which is a good thing. The last two cruises that we took them on, all classes had been pre-booked. One of the last classes we could not attend, when I cancelled--the desk said great, thank you we have 18 people on a wait list.

So we booked 3 for the next cruise in Jan and will pre book again for our Aug cruise when we can.

Rick

as other mentioned I wouldn't wait...the classes are so popular!! I did one on the Marina crossing last year and LOVED it...but pre-booked it.

They do sometimes add additional classes ...but not sure how often and how many...if you really want to do this (and I think you would so enjoy it) I suggest you pre-book!! LuAnn

Oh well

If they are booked up they are booked up :(

I do not cook much anymore but thought a couple of them looked interesting

Will ask about a waitlist if I decide I want to do one

I was hoping they would hold some spots open for those that did not want to prebook

thanks for the replies

Lyn

I'm sure this was answered somewhere else, but when do the online bookings open up for these?

Ours are open now for March cruise

Not sure if this is a normal time frame or it could vary by cruise

check under ALREADY BOOKED for your cruise & click on book culinary classes

It will give you day & time if they are available

Lyn

I'm sure this was answered somewhere else, but when do the online bookings open up for these?

I think the time varies. Ours opened on October 6th for two cruises in December. You will have to check frequently under "Already Booked" and see if the culinary classes come up.

I also signed up for a culinary class on the 1/13 cruise. They don't yet have complete descriptions or menus for each class but do have a general theme and time scheduled. I picked the Red Ginger Class at 10:00 AM on an "at sea" day. If I take a class at 4:00 I'll never eat dinner.

Go to the Already Booked site to find info.

Carol

I booked mine about two weeks ago for a Jan 13 cruise! Was slightly disappointed in the offerings but will reserve judgment till I have taken the courses!!

Think of the Cooking Classes as new and very unique Entertainment options, rather than true "instruction" and you won't be disappointed.

The Instructors are charming, entertaining and very humorous so the time passes most pleasantly, but Cordon Bleu, it ain't.

How COULD it be in the time alloted?

Just asking ... I haven't taken any of these classes yet. Our one cruise on Marina only had one sea day at the very beginning of the cruise so there just wasn't an opportunity.

Mura

How COULD it be in the time alloted?

Just asking ... I haven't taken any of these classes yet. Our one cruise on Marina only had one sea day at the very beginning of the cruise so there just wasn't an opportunity.

Mura

Not sure what you mean

i noticed on our Mar cruise they have a 10 am & 3pm class on seas days & port days they offer classes as well

I guess you decide if you want to do a tour or cooking;)

It is the Caribbean & we do not care if we do any tours we have done many of the ports before ...so cooking class may work out for us

Lyn

Ours are open now for March cruise

Not sure if this is a normal time frame or it could vary by cruise

check under ALREADY BOOKED for your cruise & click on book culinary classes

It will give you day & time if they are available

Lyn, I did that, as I had before, and all it says is, "Bon Appétit Culinary Classes are unavailable at this time." No date.

No biggie--cruise isn't until next November. If it was a set time like 120 days, I could put it in my calendar to remind myself.

Lyn, I did that, as I had before, and all it says is, "Bon Appétit Culinary Classes are unavailable at this time." No date.

No biggie--cruise isn't until next November. If it was a set time like 120 days, I could put it in my calendar to remind myself.

You may be a bit early ;)

I would start checking 5 mths out

Lyn

Lyn,

I didn't mean that no classes were offered. I meant that with our touring schedule, I didn't have the time -- or energy -- to try them out!

Mura

Thanks Mura

I just did not understand your statement

maybe more time on your next cruise to try them

Lyn

JimandStan - thanks for the warning. I am sort of used to (and like very much) very serious cooking classes. Have done two Cordon Bleu series and am currently in a year long programme at the Mandarin Oriental in Geneva on Indian cooking... so I shall look on the class as entertainment rather than skill acquisition then!

Used to offer 2 week long classes on the Regents ships on long cruises for 9 to 12 persons.. used the ships galley, gave out uniforms from hats to jackets...even had an exam where you had to produce an present a dish for the evaluation. 8 sessions, 2 special dinners...intense but fun

It was rather serious like one whole class on just the peeling and cutting of vegatables ( the 5 side uniform pieces), another on stock and sauces, seafood, meats. Presentation, baking, garde mange and desserts, Had to make a Tournedo Rossini from scratch, ... held a graduation dinner with a special 8 course menu.

Sadly the Cordon Blu and Regent relation is no more.

I would sign up for any multi day course because the one session is play time and 3 days draws from a more serious student base and thus progresses way furthur because of the higher interest and skill level the students seem to have

Thanks Mura

I just did not understand your statement

maybe more time on your next cruise to try them

Lyn

So far the next Oceania cruise is a transatlantic so I certainly will try!

Mura

Used to offer 2 week long classes on the Regents ships on long cruises for 9 to 12 persons...<snip>...Sadly the Cordon Blu and Regent relation is no more.

I would sign up for any multi day course because the one session is play time and 3 days draws from a more serious student base and thus progresses way furthur because of the higher interest and skill level the students seem to have

If I recall, the Regent course was $495. Probably not as much demand for something like that on Oceania.

I took a 3 day pasta class on Marina's Maiden Voyage, and I took a single class on Mediterranean food on Riviera's Maiden Voyage. I didn't notice any difference in intensity -- the pasta class covered 3 different phases of pasta preparation over the 3 days -- making the pasta dough, then using it for different purposes over the next two days. None was "play time", and none required any higher skill level (or I wouldn't have enjoyed them all ;)).

They're all light-hearted, but the intensity of the students is palpable -- almost everyone wants to do it "right". Some of the preparations are more likely to be used at home than others. Regardless, everyone will pick ip tips they can use every day -- I learned the proper way to handle a knife and have been practicing ever since, and I learned that from Chef Kelley's point of view, ordinary Olive Oil is the best buy, not "Extra Virgin".

Thanks Don, I intend to take the Pasta classes as that one area I never had training or experience in.. but want to. Already bought a power roller..

And yes... I learned getting the cheapest olive oil allowed you to infuse several different flavors I make 1. Garlic oil 2. Rosemary oil 3. Basil OIL AND 4 garlic/rosemary oil combo. Extra virgin is best used only as a seasoning by its self.... and turns bitter when heated and has a low smoke point...... I never ever cook with it..only season.

Now you got me hungry.....darn

Archived