Modern luxury?!!

ladylemondrop

I recently emailed celebrity to complain about a £150 charge just to change the date of our cruise, (that was the admin charge!!).

My reply was overflowing with the term "modern luxury" three times in one email! I quote -

"We strive as a company to ensure we

continue the Modern Luxury experience"

"Modern Luxury memory to take home with

you."

"Mr. French, thank you for your email. We look forward to offering you the

Modern Luxury experience you have become accustomed to onboard the

Celebrity Reflection"

I am MRS french by the way....:D

Celebrity doesn't have a corner on the market when it comes to change fees. Many (if not most) American travel agencies will charge you for cancelling your cruise and if you've purchased trip insurance, there's no refund. American airlines charge, too. When we had to cancel our transatlantic it cost us $300 in airline fees, $200 trip insurance, and $100 travel agent cancellation fee. If you got away with a mere 150 GBP, count yourself lucky. :(

Luxury ...not even remotely !

Celeb is a great modern focus, upper range mass market ship that focuses on the under 45 market. Nice, some what upscale/hip, but nothing even remotely luxury no matter how much they say it or no matter what cabin you get or where you eat, as its still on a nice mass market ship outside the cabin.

From food, ambiance, decore, staff, its all very very different on a Luxury line.

Try sailing on Regent, Crystal, Silver Sea, Oceania and Seabourn and you will discover the difference and it is obvious.....;)

Under 45 market? I would say the OVER 45 market.

They do want the younger market though. The new ships are aimed at the under 45year olds, what they are getting is the other side of 50.

Sorry to hear Louise that they didnt change your dates for you and charged you $150 and telling you about modern luxury.

Barry.

Cancellation and change rules/charges are different for people in the UK and OZ.

I agree with you Christine, she may possible blame EU rules rather than blame Celebrity. If she were in the states all you would have to do is cancel your cruise and then rebook it, no charge. She is almost a year out from the cruise, this is done all the time by us.

I recently emailed celebrity to complain about a £150 charge just to change the date of our cruise, (that was the admin charge!!).

My reply was overflowing with the term "modern luxury" three times in one email! I quote -

"We strive as a company to ensure we

continue the Modern Luxury experience"

"Modern Luxury memory to take home with

you."

"Mr. French, thank you for your email. We look forward to offering you the

Modern Luxury experience you have become accustomed to onboard the

Celebrity Reflection"

I am MRS french by the way....:D

They should check my last LUXARY cabin with the broken mirror over the desk, broken furniture and moldy bathroom.

If you cancel your cruise before 60 days you should get a full refund. Then sign up for a new cruise. That is one reason to use a Travel Agent.

Not in the UK, we would lose our deposit. Different rules than the US . You get a better deal than we do.

I found that on both Holland America and Celeb, that spending up to get a veranda or suite labeled luxury, actual cost more than a similar cruise on an an all inclusive line which is offering hotel, rt air, all inclusive liquor,no surgharge for any speciality dining, ability to bring your own wine and liquor is desired..no limit.less passengers and a much much higher class of cabin, ship and staff with tips, All of which is included in the fare.

Actualy, it cost LESS on a Lux line than on these portenders....;) When you add the restauraunt, the tips, the air fare, the cabin, the drinks, and liquor policy to your fare!

On my next Lux cruise its costing me for a Veranda cabin about $115.pp per day less than on Celeb and $125 a day less than Holland....You might be suprised at the difference..I was

Assume nothng.... and count your own cards.

I agree with you Christine, she may possible blame EU rules rather than blame Celebrity. If she were in the states all you would have to do is cancel your cruise and then rebook it, no charge. She is almost a year out from the cruise, this is done all the time by us.

Rather than say "blame", let's just say that there are different rules in different areas in the world. In "return for" non-refundable deposits we get much more protection in the UK/EU. It is clear from recent posts by Australian's that they have to insure against the cruise line going out of business. In the UK, ABTA/ATOL protection covers us against those type of risks. The EU provides further protection by placing more responsibility on the cruise line if they have sold us a "package". On the other side of the equation, we pay a non-refundable deposit and an admin charge if we wish to amend our booking. We always have to look at the whole picture and not one aspect that may bug us at the time.

As a matter of interest, I believe that the charge for the first change is waived for Captain's Club members by Celebrity in the UK. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Sue

Cancellation and change rules/charges are different for people in the UK and OZ.

Yep.

It just so happens that the UK non-refundable deposit is £150 each. So in effect, the OP had the original cruise cancelled and re-booked for half price (assuming there were two passengers).

It's pretty unfortunate to get hit with a fee for changing dates but if this was forced rather than optional on a whim there is always holiday insurance to soften part of the blow?

At least Celebrity lets us Brits have the benefits of any price drops when prices start to tumble. None of the Carnival Group lines do, which stinks.

The OP is lucky she got a reply from Celebrity UK! On October 4th I sent 2 communications to Celebrity UK, a registeed letter cancelling 2 cruise, and an email to 'Customer Services' asking for a 'read' acknowledgement.

On the 19th I emailed the Captains Club, asking when I would get replies, and was told that neither had been received, yet I have a receipt from the Post Office for the delivery of he cancellatiuon letter!

The cancellations have now been actioned, but as yet have heard nothing about my email to Customer Services, which I re-sent and also sent a copy to the UK Captains Club.

Richard

Would like just say that my post was a tongue in cheek poke at the modern luxury overload i got, and not so much about the money, but its funny how we are happy to pay thousands for our holiday, but get so cross about any comparitively small additional charges! I was pleased celebrity did reply, but if you reply to someone saying how you are taking their concerns seriously, its best to stay on subject and not just plug the latest brand campaign!! They cannot win can they. I was done for, if I cancelled my entire cruise, i would have lost £600 (its a four person booking) so to change date was the cheaper option..

We get different benefits/penalties here in uk to us, its some better, some worse. We will still have an amazing holiday i am sure, they are getting so many things right or we wouldnt be rebooking already for next year!

Sorry, but I am not seeing why "luxury", modern or otherwise has anything to do with cancellation or change policies?

If you book a non refundable first class airfare on one of the best Airlines in the world - Singapore Airlines - do you think that if you cancel or change your flight date that they should "waive" the cancellation/change policy because they are a luxury airline.?

You knew the cancellation and change policies when you booked, it has nothing to do with anything other than YOU deciding to change your dates, for whatever reason that may have been, but blaming it on them??

Now, I would say that Celebrity doesn't fill the ships with 30 and 40 year olds, but take a look at the Celebrity website and you will see 30-45 year olds in the pictures. This is the great sign of the cruiseline's target market.

If that's their " target market ", judging by my three cruises this year? They aren't succeeding!

Rather than say "blame", let's just say that there are different rules in different areas in the world. In "return for" non-refundable deposits we get much more protection in the UK/EU. It is clear from recent posts by Australian's that they have to insure against the cruise line going out of business. In the UK, ABTA/ATOL protection covers us against those type of risks. The EU provides further protection by placing more responsibility on the cruise line if they have sold us a "package". On the other side of the equation, we pay a non-refundable deposit and an admin charge if we wish to amend our booking. We always have to look at the whole picture and not one aspect that may bug us at the time.

As a matter of interest, I believe that the charge for the first change is waived for Captain's Club members by Celebrity in the UK. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Sue

I agree, I said so in the post just prior to yours...

Now, I would say that Celebrity doesn't fill the ships with 30 and 40 year olds, but take a look at the Celebrity website and you will see 30-45 year olds in the pictures. This is the great sign of the cruiseline's target market.

It might be their target, but it's not their reality. It's not the oldest skewing cruise line I've been on, but 30-45 is not the prevalent age group on board.

For full disclosure, I'm 67 and I feel on the young side on some cruises! Not necessarily Celebrity....

Archived