Parking in Red Hook

SiBreeze

We were thinking of driving ourselves to the port this Saturday the 27th for the 4 day Bermuda Sampler on the CB. Now with Sandy coming I was wondering if it is safe to park at the terminal or will it likely flood? Anyone familiar with the area? thanks.

We were booked on a late August cruise last year out of Redhook and planned to drive and park there. A hurricane was headed there and so we were advised not to park there due to potential flooding. Some people did park there, and during the cruise, passengers who parked there were worried about their cars. When we returned 7 days later, it did not appear as though there had been any flooding, but it was hard to be sure from the looks of things. The parking area is close to the water, so if a hurricane is predicted, I would try to find a different way to get to the port.

Red Hook suffered extensive flood damage and ... Take a look at this: http://twicsy.com/i/zwCEN

+1 NYCruise confirmed damages @ the Brooklyn Red Hook Pier - Sorry for the bad news, but at least you now know and will need to be prepared.

Get the police report, notify your insurance, contact & arrange for a tow, and get alternate transportation or someone to go meet you at the pier once you get back to NY.

http://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-cruise-terminal-parking-lot-vehicles-need-to-be-towed/#.UJH8FWfjqIJ

Looking at the photo link above, most likely taken at the morning after the storm as sea waters began to recede as it's daylight, vehicles were likely in waters several feet deep or more, the carpets are ruined, electricals exposed to saltwater, etc. Access to the area is technically restricted now as it is Zone A in red.

Take a deep breath, yell & let it out - it's going to okay, it's not the end of the world. Our car was inside the underground garage in downtown Manhattan on 9/11/2001 only about 10 blocks away - covered in WTC dust and we couldn't even retrieve it until a week later - we survived.

Thanks. I was wondering what they are going to do with the QM2 when she is back. Will she fit into the berth at Manhattan terminal???

I sailed on the QM2 from Manhattan before the Brooklyn terminal was built.. The aft of the ship extends a bit past the pier into the river, but otherwise there's no problem.

Here's the latest update from NY Cruise.

Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in line to reopen by New Year

Posted on November 20th, 2012 · Posted in News

The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal – which was badly damaged during Hurricane Sandy – could re-open for business by late December, a top city official said yesterday

http://www.nycruise.com/brooklyn-cruise-terminal-in-line-to-reopen-by-new-year/

Archived