Sandy the storm

4774Papa

Buses started running in Manhattan around 5 PM. Subway system may take more time to be up and running than I first expected, but more pumps are coming to drain the tunnels. I believe the West Village is still without power, as well as areas on both sides of Manhattan near the rivers. Not sure about the East Village, which is where the transformer explosion took place last night.

Limited subway service in Manhattan (nothing below 34th Street) scheduled to start tomorrow: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/us/after-storms-destruction-halting-return-in-northeast.html?hp In an a macabre sidenote, it's being reported that many of the 28 million---yes, million---rats that live in the subway tunnels have drowned.

Everything I've seen says north NJ (Bergen county) took a bigger hit than central or southern. Someone on our roll call has a daughter in Hoboken. She said the tunnels and subway will be closed for 7-10 days.

Hoboken took quite a hit, but the shore was hit much harder. Bergen county wasn't hit nearly as hard as south Jersey (I'm a county away - no power here, and none expected for a while).

I just want to know if *YOU* are safe first, then you can tell me about the physical damages.

I have heard from some relatives in Manhattan (some from East 34th Street, some friends from lower Manhattan) - life on the 31st floor without power is something else! :eek: What makes it better is when the streets and subways are also flooded. :eek: But at least *they* are safe!

Relatives in New Jersey lost power and water, and experienced some flooding. Same with friends in VA and relatives/friends in MD. Power is slowly being restored. My cousin gave birth to twins right before the storm!

Here in MA there were some areas with damage. We were fortunate north of Boston with some wind and rain and small flying debris (branches, etc.). At least *we* are all safe!

I still haven't heard directly from some other friends/family in the area, but indirect reports are that they should be fine.

I wanted to drive right down there and help, but the roads weren't navigable and the streets still have debris and my vehicle would have just added to the mess. So, instead, I donate.

How are you fairing?

I just want to know if *YOU* are safe first, then you can tell me about the physical damages ... I wanted to drive right down there and help, but the roads weren't navigable and the streets still have debris and my vehicle would have just added to the mess. So, instead, I donate ... How are you fairing?

Hello & shout-out to fellow CC'rs in MA, we are *SAFE* about 20 miles northeast of NYC's new "ground-zero" centered somewhere near Staten Island & south Brooklyn + Lower Manhattan a/k/a Financial District that flooded out - they were the hardest hit, thousands are literally homeless and powerless - we survived intact, never lost electricity or water or TV/internet/digital phone services. Minor backyard damages, wood fence next door fell - we stored everything inside (not in the basement) or tied down, Honda CRV gas tank topped off - portable power pack & inverter ready, water & yes, MRE's - enough for 10 days on our own. We are outside Evacuation Zone C & deemed safe - those that we knew lost power were Zone B, not even Zone A like those hardest hit. *Lucky*

LaGuardia Airport open & running, water pumped out & runways almost 100% dried up, taxis available but (black) car services squeezed for running empty gas tank (except for hybrid fleets.) NYC & northern suburb roads are 95% passable unless it's deep inside Zone A around ground zero - help has finally arrived, slow but on the ground. Subways, buses & rails, and ferries are running above 80% level now, real test tomorrow when 90% of public schools reopen - others used as shelters and/or damaged.

Number 1 problem is gasoline shortage - doctors & nurses & aides struggled along with first responders in getting around, still don't believe that so many have portable generators holding all those red gas cans lined up at the stations, puzzled but it is what it is. Our HESS station got 1 emergency tanker fuel truck delivery this morning, line was a mile long, stretching for blocks plus folks on foot - local police guarding & keep order.

Wishing that Home Depot will donate goods & services directly !!! (like Duracell with their batteries) instead of joining the appeal to give to the Red Cross - or how about Walmart with their gloves, duct tapes & buckets, or Sears with their power tools & garbage bags.

Several thousands in my neighborhood still without electricity due to down trees but at least they have running water & can do gas cooking, as long as they can stay warm & dry - power expected back on around Nov. 9th - way too slow, priorities went to Manhattan. Thank god for cancelling the Marathon (supported postponing it, but ... ) to avoid diverting tired police, fire & medical resources and more road closure for the mostly out-of-town runners. Looting is very minor on a relative scale. Cellular towers are mostly running and ATM's offline now are working again.

As neighborhoods, towns, villages & cities begin the marathon rebuilding process, we need to rethink our coastal & waterfront landscaping, global warming & energy sources with rising sea level forecasted for our grandchildren's generation. Tuned to weather dot com on TV or internet for scenes of devastation and destruction caused by Sandy up & down the coast.

On the watch for a fast-moving Nor-easter midweek aimed toward us but we need a vacation, sailing on the infamous NCL GEM this Wednesday that called on Boston last week unscheduled to restock on fuel & provisions. OMG - all hands on deck, sound the general alarm .... oh no, we will be fine hopefully & learn from the last one. Surely, mother nature won the round.

A link to NY1 (cable news) reporter's own personal blog from NYC's Rockaway - interesting, like it - pass it along - up close & very personal

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/171519/ny1-blog--ny1-s-bob-hardt-reports-on-sandy-from-rockaway-beach

My other favorite link - flyertalk dot com - on transit, airport & travel impacts, great for anyone from out-of-town year round - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1401518-hurricane-sandy-emergency-measures-travel-impacts-oct-2012-a-22.html

We survived & walked out of Lower Manhattan on 9/11/2001 and we had another close call - but, life goes on ... On behalf of our less fortunate friends, neighbors and strangers across the city struggling to get back to normal, we know that many of you are thinking of us, much obliged.

Archived