Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

Another RedCat lover...thought it was just me. Haven't seen a "pouch". Also the only place I can find it is Total Wines and More. Is that your source also?

Yes, this is THE BEST NEWS. This will not inhibit the purchase of the wine package or our alcohol consumption, but will enhance our enjoyment and relaxation of a private drink before circulating with the others.

Thanks,

Kathryn

The winery is about an hour and a half from where I live. They just released the 'Pouch' this summer. It's 4 bottles in one! Tell your local supplier that you want them. They are great for summer. Throw it in the cooler and no need to worry about breaking the bottles!!!

Hey Janet..visited Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale last month for the first time. No need to before since I could not take the wine onboard. Good news!!!

We have a Total Wine store locally and love it.

How far is the Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale from the Port? Is it on the way from Airport to Port, or a detour? Unfortunately have to fly in that morning due to schedule of others traveling with us, but it's a direct flight.

Found this on Online Cruise Advisor:

"Royal Caribbean update their Wine Policy

Posted by alison in Cruise News, Cruise Tips & Advice

Royal Caribbean International have just announced that effective 1st November 2012, guests will be able to take personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of their cruise. This will be limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom.

The wine can be consumed in your cabin, however if you prefer to drink it in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of US$25.00 which will be applied to your onboard account.

Anyone who receives wine as an amenity or Gift via a Royal Caribbean purchase is permitted to consume it in their stateroom or any of the public areas onboard (including the dining room, specialty restaurants, and bars/lounges) without incurring a corkage fee.

Guests are not allowed to bring any other alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

No open liquor bottles will be permitted to be brought into the dining areas or public areas.

Information provided by Royal Caribbean International."

We have a Total Wine store locally and love it.

How far is the Total Wine in Ft. Lauderdale from the Port? Is it on the way from Airport to Port, or a detour? Unfortunately have to fly in that morning due to schedule of others traveling with us, but it's a direct flight.

Total Wine is on your way from the airport to the port. Not out of the way at all.

[quote name='LMKakaThing2']Found this on Online Cruise Advisor:

Royal Caribbean International have just announced that effective 1st November 2012, guests will be able to take personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of their cruise. This will be limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom.
The wine can be consumed in your cabin, however if you prefer to drink it in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of US$25.00 which will be applied to your onboard account.
Anyone who receives wine as an amenity or Gift via a Royal Caribbean purchase is permitted to consume it in their stateroom or any of the public areas onboard (including the dining room, specialty restaurants, and bars/lounges) without incurring a corkage fee.
Guests are not allowed to bring any other alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.
No open liquor bottles will be permitted to be brought into the dining areas or public areas.
Information provided by Royal Caribbean International."[/quote]

Thanks for this update. I'm shocked they didn't think to include size limitations (750ml) and restrict it to carryon. I can't imagine telling scanners that 10 times the number of bags that normally get flagged will have to be searched to determine if it's wine or rum. Or, they have to be told, if it looks like wine bottle, let it pass, if it looks like liquor or rum runner, flag it.

I hope they restrict it to carryon just b/c I see them changing back to no wine if it becomes a big hassle for crew in checked luggage.

[quote name='LMKakaThing2']Found this on Online Cruise Advisor:

Information provided by Royal Caribbean International."[/quote]

Thanks Lisa, I think we will be bringing our own Chard on board in January. I wonder how they plan to enforce it 2 per cabin? Edited by temple1

This is incredible news! For my husband and I, we aren't able to order any of the wine they serve as we keep kosher and therefore require kosher certified wine. Not that we are terribly huge wine(or alcohol in general) drinkers, but it's nice to know that we can possibly have an option!

[quote name='jennmaybe']This is fabulous news!! Anyone ever have problems taking their [B]own corkscrew on to open the bottles[/B] (in our stateroom of course)?[/quote]

Yes how do you avoid a corking fee if the bringing your own corkscrew is not permitted? Can you bring your own corkscrew on board?

[quote name='leinhto']Yes how do you avoid a corking fee if the bringing your own corkscrew is not permitted? Can you bring your own corkscrew on board?[/quote]
I've taken a corkscrew on board many times in checked luggage.

[quote name='leinhto']Yes how do you avoid a corking fee if the bringing your own corkscrew is not permitted? Can you bring your own corkscrew on board?[/QUOTE]

I bring my own "wine key" packed in my suitcase on Celebrity and haven't had an issue. I think it's kind of rediculous to expect the cabin attendants to supply them for everyone.

Wish this would have been in affect a couple of weeks ago when we sailed on Freedom I could have saved myself $200+ on having wine delivered to the cabins.

[quote name='CP3o']. . . I'm shocked they didn't think to include size limitations (750ml) . . [/quote]

What everyone is reporting from insiders and the published reports sounds like RCI is adopting pretty much verbatim the Celebrity policy which is:

[quote][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom, but when consumed in any shipboard restaurant, bar, or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00.[/quote][/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][/FONT]
[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT]It does not have a size limitation, and has apparently worked for Celebrity, so RCI has an in house example with a track record to look at.
[/FONT]
Wonder how long it will be before RCI starts to adopt other Celebrity policies? Popcorn anyone? Edited by mjldvlks

[quote name='jagoffee']When were you able to do that? Perhaps you are referencing the fact that you can buy a bottle from room service or precruise?
Based on my Celebrity experience you cannot buy a bottle at the duty free shop and consume it in your cabin.[/QUOTE]

September 2010, and yep from the shop to our room. It was not a pre cruise purchase, but rather a mid cruise purchase, and I did not order it from room service. :)

[quote name='leinhto']Yes how do you avoid a corking fee if the bringing your own corkscrew is not permitted? Can you bring your own corkscrew on board?[/quote]
My manicure set has a corkscrew in it. I have carried it on all the cruises to date - never had an opportunity to use the corkscrew until now. Cheers...:) Edited by gw2fll

[quote name='CP3o']Thanks for this update. I'm shocked they didn't think to include size limitations (750ml) and restrict it to carryon. I can't imagine telling scanners that 10 times the number of bags that normally get flagged will have to be searched to determine if it's wine or rum. Or, they have to be told, if it looks like wine bottle, let it pass, if it looks like liquor or rum runner, flag it.

I hope they restrict it to carryon just b/c I see them changing back to no wine if it becomes a big hassle for crew in checked luggage.[/QUOTE]

When flying in you can't put it in your carry on, therefore I really doubt that Royal will Limit it to carry on only. Celebrity allows 2 bottles/cabin and I brought mine on in checked luggage, no problem.

[quote name='MS52']FANTASTIC!

Note to RCI....I'm still buying the wine package like I do every cruise. I just don't have to sneak the box wine on now for the stateroom!!!

RCI hasn't lost anything on us - just made it nicer to cruise. Thank you. :D[/QUOTE]

LMAO - I sneak blackbox too! Correction (used to!) :D